Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
So...I assume that some Crusades are meant to be impossible to defeat? Currently (as Brittania + a couple of bits of Denmark and Germany) losing a Crusade called for England. I think I could actually beat all the regulars, but the additional 20,000 holy order troops are just a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I was really tempted to invite her to my court and marry her to my spymaster or something.

In other news my Duke managed to overthrow the King of Sicily... just as someone snuck in elective monarchy. Thankfully I was able to position my successor before he died. My new character just managed to usurp the Kingdom of Africa. Wrapping that up should be entertaining.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

So, uh, this happened:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Going by CK2, everybody in Europe woulda looked like Tiger Woods before they ever hit the New World.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Spiderfist Island posted:

Wasn't the Pope's original plan for the conquest of Jerusalem that it would basically be a theocratic vassal state? Of course, absolutely none of the Byzantine Emperor's or Pope's plans were successful in real life. Maybe if a holy order wins the crusade, the kingdom just becomes a Catholic theocracy, or is annexed to be part of the Papal states outright.

Although the full details of Urban II's plan and hopes are lost to time, the intent we know about was to get a group of the knighthood together (much smaller than actually went) who would go to support the Byzantines in expanding to conquer their former territories. Although how far back you went to classify "former" was different between the two, the main goal of the Crusade from Urban's point of the view was to revoke the schism and use the prestige from that to shore up religious authority and press back against the Holy Roman Emperor.

Going to Jerusalem, let alone a theocratic vassal state, definitely wasn't in the plan or even implied in any surviving text. Also, just for reference, short of capture Antioch along with the damage to the country and Muslim relations by the European Crusaders (and the Peasants Crusade), the Byzantines got exactly what they were after.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 23, 2014

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

CapnAndy posted:

Going by CK2, everybody in Europe woulda looked like Tiger Woods before they ever hit the New World.

You can wind up with some really fun costumes if you manage to get Ethiopian-culture people into a merchant republic. Facepaint and silly hats, please.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DStecks posted:

So, uh, this happened:

This is pretty common. There's an event merchant republics get where an unmarried patrician-family man takes an African woman as a wife. You can end up with lots of dark-skinned people in positions of power in merchant republics.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I really don't think I'm ever gonna top the time I started killing Bishops for fun, because I was bored, they were ahead of my guy in the next election, and churchmen are easy to kill.

That was pretty much my electoral strategy when I tried dipping into the college of cardinals. They're like fuckin pringles, man, you can't stab just one.

Quick question - does anyone know how the culture conversion to Russian in CK2+ from the 867 start works? It looks like occasionally my ruler will declare a random count to be Russian now, but I was wondering if there's some decision at some point that will flip my ruler's culture to Russian.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

w/r/t Crusades I still think its odd that they are so heavily influenced by actual countries (and apparently Holy Orders these days :v: ). From what I have read and understand, the vast majority of the knights and leaders of the first few crusades were the second and third sons of nobles who were running Primo (there were a few edge cases of Counts or Dukes passing their land on to family in exchange for funding for their crusade expedition, or primary heirs forgoing their inheritance). Additionally, the crusades were not 'sponsored' or anything by the state - they were called for by the Pope who encouraged Kings to go because they should be fighting the heathens rather than their religious brothers.

What I am trying to say is that in CKII why do countries gain control of the land that was crusaded for? I do not think that was ever really the historical desired outcome of any of them (except what the Venetians corrupted the 4th Crusade into, but even then the "Latin Kingdom" or whatever was handed to a noble who was on the Crusade - not that nobles' country). Would Barbarossa have kept Jerusalem or any part of the levant for 'himself' if he hadnt drowned? Richard the Lionheart was Crusading in the name of England, not to conquer middle-eastern lands for England. CKII's way of resolving crusades has always baffled me. The Crusaders (the men, the individuals) were going for eternal remittance of their sins, to defend Christianity as a whole, and (as someone else in this thread said) improve the Church's image (e.g. Moral Authority), to have the Byzantines/Orthodox Christians be in debt to the Roman Catholic church, and to strike back at "vile bloodthirsty rapacious mosellems" that were repressing Christians who also conquered the holy land.

edit: I think it would be neat if Crusades, Jihads, and whatnot would form new independent nations (kind like Hosts). The "country" that contributed the most military might would get a nice piety and maybe even monetary reward but not get control of any land.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 23, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

I forgot how to do this. How do you take shots like this, again?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
I don't know if this has been posted before but there's a new expansion to be announced next week.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...f9f1943fda34261

The hint says

Paradox posted:

Allows you to reign supreme from a new setting

Not really sure what to expect though, maybe a map extension.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Kings of Mars expansion.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Paradox has struck a deal with Games Workshop and the expansion will be called Black Crusader Kings.

Edit: I guess that's slightly unfortunate given the screenshot up on this page.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Seoinin posted:

Quick question - does anyone know how the culture conversion to Russian in CK2+ from the 867 start works? It looks like occasionally my ruler will declare a random count to be Russian now, but I was wondering if there's some decision at some point that will flip my ruler's culture to Russian.

There should be "Embrace Russian Culture" (or something like that) decision in Intrigue menu.

rvm fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 23, 2014

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
There is no sensible way to turn your lineage from non-sayyid to a sayyid one? Sucks that I'm an Iberian sunni sultan and the middle-east is pretty firmly in shiite hands so my MA is in the shitter. There is no sunni caliphate but I can't create it because I need to "be a pious sayyid" or "conquer the holy lands while sayyid / mirza". Latter is kinda hard from Iberia.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I always thought the point of crusades was to bring god to the heathens, so i'll either shove a holy order on Jerusalem and use them to soften up the impact the mongols have or shove a brothers kid on there. So long as you make sure its someone you like you tend not to get to much in the way of backlashes and as a bonus the new ruler will convert that poo poo quick.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Does anyone have a link that explains how the EU IV converter works and what exactly translates between games?

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Mickey McKey posted:

What I am trying to say is that in CKII why do countries gain control of the land that was crusaded for?

When you win the Crusade it's not England (or whoever) adding Jerusalem to the country, it's you personally gaining a ton of holdings in the Levant. All the stuff you're talking about is modeled in the game by de jure drift and such, where land gets integrated as part of a realm and starts being seen as inherently linked to other lands. You've become king of two realms, but that doesn't mean it's one country (yet).

Anyway this sort of thing happened all the time in real history, but because it's feudal vassalage the crusaders with lands to return to back in the homeland just passed the territory on to their underlings and within a generation or two usually lost any meaningful political link to them, which is totally what happens in CK2 if you try to preserve a kingdom with territory really far apart as a single entity. Eventually someone'll force you to delegate one of the titles or recognize someone else's claim to it, and because Crusades are all for kingdom-level titles that means you can only keep it in your "country" if you're already a huge empire. (Or manage to, through great luck and careful political maneuvering, keep all the duchies together for a solid century so the rest of the world starts seeing it as one territory. i.e. de jure drift.)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

nessin posted:

Going to Jerusalem, let alone a theocratic vassal state, definitely wasn't in the plan or even implied in any surviving text. Also, just for reference, short of capture Antioch along with the damage to the country and Muslim relations by the European Crusaders (and the Peasants Crusade), the Byzantines got exactly what they were after.

The clergy and nobility were usually at conflict in Jerusalem, especially during the rule of Godfrey of Bouillon and the Papal Legate to Jerusalem, Dagobert of Pisa. Public opinion among the Crusaders was that "Jerusalem should be the patrimony of the Church" instead of being under the supervision of laypersons (305). Dagobert exploited this belief to increase his authority, claiming the title Prince of Antioch and Galilee, to the horror of Patriarch of Antioch. As one of the few educated men in Jerusalem, Dagobert became a permanent fixture in the Haute Cour and accompanied Godfrey on all his military campaigns (309-311). More and more concessions were made to the clergy until Godfrey bequeathed the entire city of Jerusalem to the Patriarch in his Will (315).

Unfortunately, Dagobert was on a military campaign when Godfrey died. Knowing that they would soon become a papal fief, several nobles wrote to Godfrey's brother and offered him the Kingdom instead. The newly declared King did not recognize his brother's Will and eventually had Dagobert expelled. Some historians think that had he been successful in securing Jerusalem that he would have tried to elevate himself as an equal to the Pope (306).

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 23, 2014

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fader Movitz posted:

I don't know if this has been posted before but there's a new expansion to be announced next week.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...f9f1943fda34261

The hint says

Not really sure what to expect though, maybe a map extension.

Randomized maps based on the EU4 CoP map randomizer. Calling it now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Piell posted:

Does anyone have a link that explains how the EU IV converter works and what exactly translates between games?

Basically once you have the DLC there will be an "Export game" option on the pause menu. It'll create a mod file for EU4 which next time you boot up EU4 you can boot it up like you would any other mod.

Pretty much everything transfers, within the limits of the provinces (e.g. Ireland is only 4 provinces in EU4 so they have to consolidate it)
-Religions will all transfer if they're reformed. So Catholics, Orthodox, Sunni and Shia are all reformed as-is. Norse and Pagan religions will be thrown under the Animist or Shamanist umbrella unless you reformed them. I believe Heresies will transfer if they become dominant.
-Countries will appear as the king level title, if there's high or maximum crown authority, otherwise the vassals will be independent.
-Initial tax income is based on your tech level when the game ends, your tech group is affected by your religion (Catholics = western, Orthodox = Eastern, Muslim = Muslim, Everything else = Old world). I'm not sure if a religion is reformed if that will affect it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

RagnarokAngel posted:

Basically once you have the DLC there will be an "Export game" option on the pause menu. It'll create a mod file for EU4 which next time you boot up EU4 you can boot it up like you would any other mod.

Pretty much everything transfers, within the limits of the provinces (e.g. Ireland is only 4 provinces in EU4 so they have to consolidate it)
-Religions will all transfer if they're reformed. So Catholics, Orthodox, Sunni and Shia are all reformed as-is. Norse and Pagan religions will be thrown under the Animist or Shamanist umbrella unless you reformed them. I believe Heresies will transfer if they become dominant.
-Countries will appear as the king level title, if there's high or maximum crown authority, otherwise the vassals will be independent.
-Initial tax income is based on your tech level when the game ends, your tech group is affected by your religion (Catholics = western, Orthodox = Eastern, Muslim = Muslim, Everything else = Old world). I'm not sure if a religion is reformed if that will affect it.

Yeah, but someone mentioned universities transferring. Do any other buildings transfer over, or do new built castles/etc make a difference?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
New expansion is Rajas of India.

Expands to India. 50% larger map. Three new religions.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

meatbag posted:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT :tviv: Awesome!!

Awesome!! Paradox, you guys are so awesome! I am totally gonna buy this DLC without even thinking about it!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mickey McKey posted:

w/r/t Crusades I still think its odd that they are so heavily influenced by actual countries (and apparently Holy Orders these days :v: ). From what I have read and understand, the vast majority of the knights and leaders of the first few crusades were the second and third sons of nobles who were running Primo (there were a few edge cases of Counts or Dukes passing their land on to family in exchange for funding for their crusade expedition, or primary heirs forgoing their inheritance). Additionally, the crusades were not 'sponsored' or anything by the state - they were called for by the Pope who encouraged Kings to go because they should be fighting the heathens rather than their religious brothers.

What I am trying to say is that in CKII why do countries gain control of the land that was crusaded for? I do not think that was ever really the historical desired outcome of any of them (except what the Venetians corrupted the 4th Crusade into, but even then the "Latin Kingdom" or whatever was handed to a noble who was on the Crusade - not that nobles' country). Would Barbarossa have kept Jerusalem or any part of the levant for 'himself' if he hadnt drowned? Richard the Lionheart was Crusading in the name of England, not to conquer middle-eastern lands for England. CKII's way of resolving crusades has always baffled me. The Crusaders (the men, the individuals) were going for eternal remittance of their sins, to defend Christianity as a whole, and (as someone else in this thread said) improve the Church's image (e.g. Moral Authority), to have the Byzantines/Orthodox Christians be in debt to the Roman Catholic church, and to strike back at "vile bloodthirsty rapacious mosellems" that were repressing Christians who also conquered the holy land.

edit: I think it would be neat if Crusades, Jihads, and whatnot would form new independent nations (kind like Hosts). The "country" that contributed the most military might would get a nice piety and maybe even monetary reward but not get control of any land.

From a gameplay perspective, I think it's as simple as there needing to be an incentive to go on crusade.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man
300 new provinces :psyduck: And I thought The Old Gods was ambitious.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

meatbag posted:

Buddhism, Hinduism, ??? (i'm probably missing something obvious)

Anyway, called it :shepface:

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

meatbag posted:

Oh hell yes! :getin:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Games › Crusader Kings II: I don't even have the option not to gently caress my cousin

If that India stuff is real that's awesome. All I can find is someone on Twitter claiming it's a thing.
e: Well Paradox retweeted it so yeah.
:toot:

Elukka fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 23, 2014

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kainser posted:

Buddhism, Hinduism, ??? (i'm probably missing something obvious)

Anyway, called it :shepface:

Probably Sikhism or Jainism.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Sikhism was founded after the end of CK2 so that would be a bit weird

Maybe Jainism I guess.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Probably Sikhism or Jainism.

Sikhism wasn't founded until the 15th century, so probably Jainism.

I wonder if Prester John will be a thing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, depending on how you count it, one of the new religions could be a variant of Islam, like with Cathar for Christianity. India ended up subjugated by various Islamic powers over time, so are there any local offshoots for there?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm pretty sure that they aren't counting heresies.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Who's pumped for some WAR ELEPHANTS :sicknasty:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I wonder how they'll handle the Timurids? Timur's empire will be pretty much all on-map, now.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Who's pumped for some WAR ELEPHANTS :sicknasty:

That would be me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PleasingFungus posted:

I wonder how they'll handle the Timurids? Timur's empire will be pretty much all on-map, now.

Hopefully they just make them into a normal empire, I never liked hordes anyways.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, it was hard to imagine what else it could have been from the teaser but I didn't dare hope they'd do full province/character history for a 50% map expansion.

Most importantly, this seems like the perfect time to get that decadence redesign into the game. :unsmith:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 23, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

AHHHH Paradox I love you the most of all :syoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I expected far more wailing and gnashing of teeth on the Paradox forums with this announcement.

• Locked thread