Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket came in!

quote:

What is the status on this ticket? <$NUMBER>

The description of THAT ticket?

quote:

pre populated "Incident Master Notes"

Yup, that's it. Also, an attachment of the ticket form with a free-text field circled.

We're psychic now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Entropic posted:

People without an Acrobat license.

Or LibreOffice. Or Inkscape. Or...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

evol262 posted:

Or LibreOffice. Or Inkscape. Or...

A photocopier and a pen. And a printer and a scanner. And a copy of Powerpoint.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Caged posted:

A photocopier and a pen. And a printer and a scanner. And a copy of Powerpoint.

Or Illustrator...

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Please tell me you you left rolling middle fingers out the door, cause although don't burn any bridges is a motto to live by, this seems to call for salting the earth.

If you've seen the Simpsons episode I quoted, that was basically what happened. Minus the band, because I'm not awesome enough to have a band on standby.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Migishu posted:

e: I was told to remove the link so I have removed the link. Would appreciate if others removed from their quotes

Why did this happen? It's free now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Pretty sure the free Adobe Reader has OCR capability. So run that, copy/paste, done.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

hihifellow posted:

Aww poo poo, now I have to find my C&C CDs.

yeah as soon as I saw that post-skirmish results page I heard the music in my head... :supaburn:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

If you've seen the Simpsons episode I quoted, that was basically what happened. Minus the band, because I'm not awesome enough to have a band on standby.

Oh, and the final thing I forgot to mention: Most of the workstations had 4 or 8 gb ram. The DC had 16 gb.

The Win7 version? was 32 bit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Third week at this job
Latte in my goatse mug
My pod is the best

:yayclod:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Patient system down
'tard told to order last month
Mad scramble all afternoon

I told this guy to put in a purchase order for a new system last month and told him exactly what to order and how. Never got done and you could tell he was trying to blame it on us, thank God for email. Today it breaks and they can't scan patients. Also the serial ports that were so important that it warranted buying maxi towers and pci-e adapters are suddenly redundant. System I was going to install turned out to have a bricked power supply so I had to image a new one on the spot. Vendor took forever to call us back to start a session to install it. They're finally up.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

A compliment came in...

So I got a 'been meaning to tell you' during the morning bullshit / catch up with the boss, and I of course started the negative thinking train. 'Oh man, we're in the crapper and I'm going to have to drop days' amongst 50,000 other split second 'Oh no!' thoughts. Nope! Turns out all is well in my little corner of the tech world.

- Boss is impressed with my work, admitting that stuff that I've repaired he was certain would end up being a flatten and reload job.
- He appreciates the amount of work I take on at one time, and still be able to keep track of, as well as how fast my turnarounds are.
- After June / July [to avoid paperwork issues with ATO and to keep my lower tax bracket for a little while longer], I'll be getting a pay rise, since he feels I deserve it.

Awww yeah. Just this morning before I left, I was thinking about doing some online courses, since I feel like I'm stagnating a bit and considered moving up the chain somewhere. It took me a while to realise just how much work I do a week, and that made me feel a little better, even if it is pretty easy stuff. That and I'd have to move to a major city to get any of that sort of work on a regular basis, which puts me right off.

Either way, it's nice to know I'm valued here. :kimchi:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

H1KE posted:

to keep my lower tax bracket for a little while longer

Is there any reason for this in reality? I know a lot of people misunderstand how tax brackets work, specifically the "only the money you make over that tax bracket is taxed at that bracket" bit, but...

I'd take the compliment, but it's not a raise until it's in your pocket.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

H1KE posted:

and to keep my lower tax bracket for a little while longer

Do you not understand how our tax system works?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ursine Asylum posted:

Is there any reason for this in reality? I know a lot of people misunderstand how tax brackets work, specifically the "only the money you make over that tax bracket is taxed at that bracket" bit, but...

I'd take the compliment, but it's not a raise until it's in your pocket.
It could possibly be for the accounting/payroll people at the company. If he changes brackets during a particular tracking period (quarter? financial year etc) then it might make things a bit more complex for them. If he is shifted during a roll over of one of them it might simplify that stuff slightly. The real reason will of course be because the longer the company holds off on giving you the pay rise the longer they can hold on to the money themselves.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Tax

Honestly, I tend not to bother with anything to do with the tax system. It tends to all get a bit complicated once I scratch the surface past the usual things you need to deal with. I usually don't want to deal with possibly loving it up, so I call my guy to come around and do my returns for me. May make me sound a bit :downs: but I'm not an accountant. My accountant walks me through any changes I might need to know about and that's basically all I need. It might help if I remembered them though. I also worked for myself for a while doing mobile support, and the paperwork side of things got loving hectic to the point where I had to work six days instead of seven, because sunday was paperwork day. I can understand why the boss doesn't want to deal with it all just yet, when he's still got loads to do himself.

Varkk posted:

the longer they can hold on to the money themselves.

Pretty much this. It's just me and the boss here, so it makes it that much harder if we need to make a change to something that results in an avalanche of paperwork / has a knock on effect somewhere down the line. We're rebuilding from a massive downturn from late last year, so we don't have the budget to up my rate just yet. We're not in the crapper, but we're still recovering. I'd rather keep my pay rate for the next few weeks / months, which I'm managing comfortably, as is than get paid more for six months until the place gets run into the ground. It's also not a hard limit for June / July, it was more of a projection based on current growth figures.

Either way, it's still nice when someone says they're impressed by your work. :)

H1KE fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 23, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

H1KE posted:

Honestly, I tend not to bother with anything to do with the tax system. It tends to all get a bit complicated once I scratch the surface past the usual things you need to deal with. I usually don't want to deal with possibly loving it up, so I call my guy to come around and do my returns for me. May make me sound a bit :downs: but I'm not an accountant. My accountant walks me through any changes I might need to know about and that's basically all I need. It might help if I remembered them though. I also worked for myself for a while doing mobile support, and the paperwork side of things got loving hectic to the point where I had to work six days instead of seven, because sunday was paperwork day.

Just to let you know, if you make 1$ over into a certain tax bracket, only that 1$ is taxed at the higher tax brackets rate.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ratbert90 posted:

Just to let you know, if you make 1$ over into a certain tax bracket, only that 1$ is taxed at the higher tax brackets rate.

The number of people who don't understand this kinda boggles my mind, and makes me sad.

I've known a lot of folks who didn't want to work overtime because they believed doing so would result in a paycheck lower--or barely more, due to increased taxes--than not working the OT at all.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

The number of people who don't understand this kinda boggles my mind, and makes me sad.

I've known a lot of folks who didn't want to work overtime because they believed doing so would result in a paycheck lower--or barely more, due to increased taxes--than not working the OT at all.

The overtime issue is caused by lazy accountants not calculating your withholding correctly, you will always get that money back at the end of the year though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I think a lot of the confusion comes from people mistaking the amount that is withheld from each paycheque and what you actually end up owing in tax.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Thanks for that, I did have it wrong. I feel pretty stupid not knowing it, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it works that way. Doesn't help that once you get past the first few pages in E-Tax, it quickly becomes a confusing nightmare. Looking at my slips it does look like any raises will bump me up a threshold but not by much, so that's good news.

To contribute, just had a desktop machine that's been refusing to throw video fire up properly. The entire week it was acting like a dead motherboard / CPU, and refused to display, POST or even make a beep with empty slots. Plugged it in one last time and it powered on and started off like nothing was wrong, and has been trucking along for the past hour. :iiam:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

H1KE posted:

Either way, it's nice to know I'm valued here. :kimchi:

Sup appreciated work buddy! :hfive:

I had a great one-on-one with my boss today and it's nice to know that having a good attitude about work, being able to joke around with co-workers, and jumping in wherever and whenever possible is appreciated. Previous jobs (corporate IT, especially) treated it like it was your obligation to go above and beyond, and almost acted like earning a compliment meant working yourself to death and sacrificing a life outside work in order to get it.

This place? My co-workers all appreciate my willingness to help, I'm jumping in and learning on my own whether it's hands-on or studying during down time, and it feels awesome. Even my manager was like "I don't want you to feel like you can't tell me anything - you're always positive, and that's great, but if *anything* comes up that concerns you, let me know so we can talk about it." That alone is awesome, especially knowing it's genuine compared to past managers that would pretend to care but really had a "whatever, quit complaining" attitude that caused nothing to change or get done.

That, and we all get to listen to whatever music we want in our office, so it's been a running joke that "friends can listen to Endless Love in the dark" on some days (yes, we crank Endless Love, and yes, we turn ALL the office lights off :3: ). That, and having a sweet hip hop and rap jam last Friday was awesome, cranking out some Digital Underground, Run DMC, Salt N Pepa, Young MC, and a bunch of other stuff. I honestly enjoy the hell out of my job, it's a great feeling to not dread getting up or driving into work. :)

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Attention non-english speaking customers of our tech services company in the United States. If you do not speak English well, please do not purchase our services and then submit badly phrased tickets. We only communicate in English, end of story, and you will only be frustrated when we dont know what the gently caress you are talking about.

Its cool that there are different languages, but please just go hire someone who can speak the language of the support you are using or find a company in your actual country to provide them.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
I was conversing with one of our Mac techs who all live in a separate trendy looking part of the business and got this story that I reckon is worth sharing:

Macguy posted:

About two years ago someone brought an SE in to us with a laser printer of the same vintage and wanted to upgrade to a new computer and re open his desktop publishing business which had been closed due to jail time.

All was going well until he mentioned he wished to trade the gear in for $5 000.00.

When I said I did not want it he was very upset and said the setup had cost him $25 000 back in the day with the software and it should still be worth $5 000. I countered with if someone paid him $10.00 he should nail their feet to the floor.

At this point he was hyperventilating and his heart looked like it was going to pop, bright purple in the face.

There was absolute disbelief that I would not accept his offer. The $5 000 trade in would, of course, cover the cost of the new equipment he wanted.

He stormed out of the building leaving his stuff behind and after a while we threw it out.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sylink posted:

Attention non-english speaking customers of our tech services company in the United States. If you do not speak English well, please do not purchase our services and then submit badly phrased tickets. We only communicate in English, end of story, and you will only be frustrated when we dont know what the gently caress you are talking about.

Its cool that there are different languages, but please just go hire someone who can speak the language of the support you are using or find a company in your actual country to provide them.

My boss along with all the senior people is from a generation that barely got into english at all and just to cite dumb poo poo with agonizing pronounciation. One of my coworkers often voices his hatred for the language, especially when I go talking about untranslated things with Jrs and such.
But dear god if we'd let anyone who speaks english talk to those medical companies stopping by, no, mr 50yo just communicates via every 10th word said. Once was out on a call with them and he wouldnt let me do the talking. Problem was marginal, could have explained it in two words. Instead they settled for a tech coming down from halfway around the world because hey why not.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.

nexxai posted:

In case you haven't seen the various threads on Reddit and elsewhere, if you're using LogMeIn free for any of your family members or whatever, you're gonna have a bad time. It's going away. In one week.

http://help.logmein.com/SelfServiceKnowledgeRenderer?type=FAQ&id=kA0a0000000shH8CAI

Hahaha, we have clients who have this set up for us to access their boxes. I don't even think they have noticed as they have not contacted us yet about setting up alternate access arrangements. Just waiting for the panicked emails and phonecalls after the 28th. :emo:

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Context: I'm the user-facing support guy for my site (entry-level position, 10 users). There are literally only 2 IT higher-ups, a network guy and a sysadmin, but our company is like ~400 users over 20 sites.

We migrated to a new email address format a few weeks ago. Since then, a few salespeople are having some of their meetings deleted, seemingly at random. The same users are also complaining about other meetings getting time-shifted by arbitrary amounts of time. I've turned on Outlook logs and haven't found anything helpful. I've checked their calendar delegates and nobody's given anybody else editing permissions. Based on my googling, I thought it might have been a sync issue with our old version of MS Dynamics CRM, but apparently it's been happening with appointments that aren't tracked in CRM too. I escalated it to the higher-ups who might actually know what they changed in Exchange, but they pushed the ticket back down to me without a word because they are of course busy.

This is of course a high priority issue that is affecting production. :downs:

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Context: I'm the user-facing support guy for my site (entry-level position, 10 users). There are literally only 2 IT higher-ups, a network guy and a sysadmin, but our company is like ~400 users over 20 sites.

We migrated to a new email address format a few weeks ago. Since then, a few salespeople are having some of their meetings deleted, seemingly at random. The same users are also complaining about other meetings getting time-shifted by arbitrary amounts of time. I've turned on Outlook logs and haven't found anything helpful. I've checked their calendar delegates and nobody's given anybody else editing permissions. Based on my googling, I thought it might have been a sync issue with our old version of MS Dynamics CRM, but apparently it's been happening with appointments that aren't tracked in CRM too. I escalated it to the higher-ups who might actually know what they changed in Exchange, but they pushed the ticket back down to me without a word because they are of course busy.

This is of course a high priority issue that is affecting production. :downs:

We had something like this happening to one of our extremely needy and harried clients; turned out to be a mailbox setting in Exchange's mailbox properties about automatically deleting junk mail or something like that. Once we turned it off, everything seemed to stabilize.

Wish to hell I'd written it down somewhere. May have to go scouring for it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

TWBalls posted:

This is glorious. Please tell me you have an inside person that can continue to give you updates.

I do. Hence how I knew about the hour long rant that the nephew (let's call him Sean) went on about me "wasting money": in my billing, in "over"paying for Windows and Office, in "setting up an expensive computer no one uses" (?? I hope he wasn't referring to the DC); and the plan to throw me under the bus when the BSA came by.

I kind of want to quote them a massive gently caress-you rate, like $200/hour, but on the other hand I just don't want to touch the situation at all.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

$200 an hour is nowhere near a "gently caress you" rate.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Caged posted:

This. There is for sure some amount of money that would make doing this worthwhile for you, so charge them $500/hr or whatever and shrug and go enjoy your day if they balk at that rate.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

sfwarlock posted:

I do. Hence how I knew about the hour long rant that the nephew (let's call him Sean) went on about me "wasting money": in my billing, in "over"paying for Windows and Office, in "setting up an expensive computer no one uses" (?? I hope he wasn't referring to the DC); and the plan to throw me under the bus when the BSA came by.

I kind of want to quote them a massive gently caress-you rate, like $200/hour, but on the other hand I just don't want to touch the situation at all.
It's either you charging them out the rear end for this or someone else. And they owe you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Caged posted:

300$ per hour, 100 hours minimum upfront, 5$ per mile driven, and a 25$ food stipend every day.

That's a good gently caress you rate.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I don't think there would be any amount of money that would make this worthwhile, especially if they plan to blame the BSA compliance issues on you. The paranoid part of me says they will deduct whatever fines they have to pay out of your check, or sue you.

No, much like a tornado, this is a glorious disaster to sit and watch, but no amount of money is worth being at ground zero.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
$300/hour, high minimum, and as many fees as you can think of. Mileage and food are good, but the client can put a real value on those. Also charge a $500/day administration fee, $1000/week processing fee, $1000 (flat) filing fee, $38.55 maintenance fee, as many as you can think of.

Real talk, don't do business with them. They are planning on committing fraud against you, no amount of righteous satisfaction from overcharging them is worth the risk. Also, warn any friends and colleagues about this and advise them to stay far away, as well.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

sfwarlock posted:

Cool to hear about the inside person, but I'm going to have to agree with SubjectVerbObject. I wouldn't touch that, especially after hearing that they plan on throwing you under the bus with the BSA.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Make sure you have all that poo poo documented. I mean saved emails, letters anything. The BSA might call upon you for information or as a witness. CYA hardcore on this.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This. There is for sure some amount of money that would make doing this worthwhile for you, so charge them $500/hr or whatever and shrug and go enjoy your day if they balk at that rate.

$200 feels like a gently caress you when the established rate was $85. Anyway, there's almost no amount of money that'll get me to dive back into that nest of vipers.

I mean, they were already planning to, when the BSA showed up, go "He's our IT guy. Sue him."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TWBalls posted:

Cool to hear about the inside person, but I'm going to have to agree with SubjectVerbObject. I wouldn't touch that, especially after hearing that they plan on throwing you under the bus with the BSA.

Yeah, especially this. If your A is sufficiently C'd with CYA documentation, throw them under the bus first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

sfwarlock, I assume you installed the original servers with proper licenses. It might be a good idea to dig up any paperwork you have that can prove that they were in compliance when you left, or at least that anything that wasn't in compliance wasn't your fault.

Apart from that, no money in the world is worth the hassle of dealing with a customer who thinks his nephew can run business IT just because he plays CoD all day.

edit: Slow post.

• Locked thread