Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Homestuck is not allowed to ever end. Therefore, this Gigapause will last for eternity and - as far as we, as readers, are concerned - will mean that Homestuck is effectively abandoned, even though Hussie will continue working on it until he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

JT Jag posted:

The last word from Hussie on the issue is that Homestuck will end in 2013.

It did, remember when John became a walking plot device and Caliborn devolved from "Big scary bad guy with dubious means of defeat" to "Look guys he can dmg teh website ^^ this iz so self refurenshal"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Making up a quote and misspelling it on purpose just makes you look like a jackass and doesn't prove anything fyi

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

zolthorg posted:

"Big scary bad guy with dubious means of defeat"

He still is that though? I mean even if the whole LE is Caliborn thing seems pretty obvious and undeniable so far, there's still something off about it that has to be addressed.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

zolthorg posted:

It did, remember when John became a walking plot device and Caliborn devolved from "Big scary bad guy with dubious means of defeat" to "Look guys he can dmg teh website ^^ this iz so self refurenshal"

Meta-humor? In MY Microsoft Paint Adventures?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I still like the idea that Lord English is Caliborn's self-insert.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Seoinin posted:

I still like the idea that Lord English is Caliborn's self-insert.

That's my idea too

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

AriadneThread posted:

That's my idea too

It's got legs. Contrasts very nicely with the notion that a Muse is all about subtly altering a narrative.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

I've been kind of dull about it, in that I've just reckoned Caliborn really is just Lord English. That all the oddities around it will get smoothed over, resulting in a slight joke of "no it really was that simple, what else would it be?"
After plenty of other moments having revealed themselves to have always been far more involved and complicated, we then get something that really is Point A -> Point B.

Saying that though, Lord English being Caliborn's self insert is way more fun and is absolutely the route I'm hoping to see now.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
I still think Lord English is Brain Ghost Caliborn, or at least that's how an incarnation of him in the B2 session would be created. Jake's conversation with Caliborn in A6A5 is pretty foreboding and the connection between Hope, angels and LE is definitely present. The trickster lollipop could also be involved somehow.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lord English is rendered in guardian style like Dave's Bro, whereas Caliborn is rendered in child style like Dirk. We've never actually seen any character grow up, by which I mean transition from a talking character like kids to a non-talking one like their guardians. It's unclear if they ever will. We don't yet know enough to say whether Lord English must be Caliborn himself or some adult alternate version thereof.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I always liked the idea of LE being his self-insert as well. It's just way funnier not to mention more thematically on-point than just being a grown-up Caliborn.

On another note, I got really excited when I first saw that clothing design contest, before I saw it was just for a t-shirt graphic. For a second I thought I finally found a market for the Prospit dress.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The vinyl figurines have dropped, and it doesn't look like it's a pre-sale.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Yeah, there's pretty much no way this is going to be internet-only.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

RZApublican posted:

Yeah, there's pretty much no way this is going to be internet-only.

Those boxes would look right at home in a Hot Topic :negative:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm split on the topic of 'things I like showing up at Hot Topic'. On the one hand, elitism in nerdy hobbies is the worst and leads to all kinds of horrible behavior, like accusations of Fake Gamer Girls and such. On the other hand, it is easy to remember how badly other stuff has been driven into the ground by Hot Topic. Remember GIR?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It would be a disaster if merchandise from a popular internet thing were to appear in a store that sells merchandise from popular internet things.

Edit: what I mean is, fans can't ruin anything for you without your cooperation.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 23, 2014

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kazy posted:

They'll fit right in with those Homestuck DVDs that are coming out in a few years.

edit: also the Homestuck video game.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Bobulus posted:

I'm split on the topic of 'things I like showing up at Hot Topic'. On the one hand, elitism in nerdy hobbies is the worst and leads to all kinds of horrible behavior, like accusations of Fake Gamer Girls and such. On the other hand, it is easy to remember how badly other stuff has been driven into the ground by Hot Topic. Remember GIR?

GIR is funny as hell, what is wrong with GIR.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No, but don't you understand, teenagers might start being really exuberant about it in public.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Being inappropriately exuberant is what teenagers do.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Goons are deeply insecure and anything having to do with their hobbies triggers a default response of self-loathing would be my guess

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
we were into it at first but now it's getting too mainstream

we are the hipsters, guys

its us

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

A big flaming stink posted:

Goons are deeply insecure and anything having to do with their hobbies triggers a default response of self-loathing would be my guess

Mostly just reminds me of my own Hot Topic phase and now maybe I realize it's not over :suicide:

Bobulus posted:

how badly other stuff has been driven into the ground by Hot Topic. Remember GIR?

It's mainly just this I'm complaining about though :v: But I think Tumblr has already driven it into the ground.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Homestuck merchandise. Trigger Warning: it's mainstream now.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kazy posted:

Go Hussie Go. Make that money. Booyeah.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

If you were worried that other goons might think badly of you because of this, well, uh, sorry sweetheart but that ship has long since sailed.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

More merchandise for Hot Topic goths means more merchandise for you.
Probably would be weird at first to see a very internet involved thing go beyond the internet, but it's not like Homestuck is unpopular or underground as it is, even if we only consider it in terms of the internet 'culture'.

Saying this, we don't have Hot Topic in the UK so I don't really have to give this any more thought. :smug:

Also GIR was always an obnoxious character being constantly parroted and run into the ground, merchandise or not.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JT Jag posted:

we were into it at first but now it's getting too mainstream

we are the hipsters, guys

its us

I liked Homestuck before it was cool, and continued to like Homestuck after it stopped being cool

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want Problem Sleuth vinyl figurines :smith:

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Individual office playsets to be stuck in, some with ethnically-diverse murals, and all with detachable windows.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Wait, Hot Topic still exists?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

David Copperfield posted:

Individual office playsets to be stuck in, some with ethnically-diverse murals, and all with detachable windows.

Oh, right, that reminds me -- I saw this mural in person last night and had wicked deja vu for about 15 minutes until I figured out where it was from. (It's in Central Square, Cambridge, MA, overlooking a parking lot about a block off of Mass Ave.)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CJacobs posted:

I want Problem Sleuth vinyl figurines :smith:

Just use your imagination.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I've been saying for a while now that someday you'll have scalemates sharing shelf space with stuffed GIRs.

Mystic Mongol posted:

GIR is funny as hell, what is wrong with GIR.
Being associated with the baleful taint of teenagers made people forget that Invader ZIM was pretty loving raw for a kids show.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 23, 2014

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Aren't most of the teenagers that liked Invader Zim adults now? Does that make it okay again, like with Pokemon?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Assuming you were like 13 when that show aired, you'd be 26 now

gently caress, I'm old

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh, one more thing about murals since I was reminded of them and reread Hussie's blog post on the subject: this one which he talked about at length is actually on the side of the moderately-famous Middle East music club, a couple blocks from the other mural. A dumbphone which is definitely lost by now once contained a picture of 17-year-old me cowering in fear before the scary old witch-woman labeled #5 on Hussie's breakdown. She's even scarier in person. :ohdear:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seoinin posted:

I've been saying for a while now that someday you'll have scalemates sharing shelf space with stuffed GIRs.

Being associated with the baleful taint of teenagers made people forget that Invader ZIM was pretty loving raw for a kids show.

Please stop talking about teenagers' taints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Please stop talking about teenagers' taints.

Nice one, Beavis.