Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
TTS beat the wurm last night. Except when we got the last head down, it bugged, went invulnerable, and never despawned. Way to go, anet.

two red icon dudes showed up to confirm things and manually close the instance.

Point - don't do living story stuff until week two of the release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

They downed it for real a few minutes ago.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Erdricks posted:

TTS beat the wurm last night. Except when we got the last head down, it bugged, went invulnerable, and never despawned. Way to go, anet.

two red icon dudes showed up to confirm things and manually close the instance.

Point - don't do living story stuff until week two of the release.

Jesus that's nuts.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
That run bugged after it had already failed according to reddit. This try:

rap music posted:

They downed it for real a few minutes ago.

Got to the last phase which is three giant wurm heads flopping around bleeding gunk on the ground.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I just rolled an elementalist for wvw, as people keep calling for static fields and water fields on doors and the like, and I love it. I got more bags with my lvl 20 ele than I generally do with my 80 grenade engineer with full exotic Rampager's, and I was more able to heal/cleanse people attacking doors while under AC fire.

However, while celestial gear looks good to me it seems you can only get the recipes from the Zephyr Sanctum, which has since sailed away to places unknown. Is it still possible to get Celestial armor, or should I go Cleric's or something?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
One thing I've wondered about from the beginning of this game is how to optimally deal with loot. Right now I:

Salvage white, blue and green items with basic salvage kits.
Salvage yellow items with the rare salvage kit.
Depending on the Black Lion price, sell orange items on there, keep them for myself, or salvage with a rare kit if I deem more money can be gained on the chance of an ectoplasm and/or orange rune.

Is this similar to what other people do? My reasoning is that I don't want to vendor blue and green items, I want the chance at more luck.

Am I correct in my assumptions that items below orange quality are not worth selling to players, or are there green and yellow items I should be looking out for?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

William Bear posted:

One thing I've wondered about from the beginning of this game is how to optimally deal with loot. Right now I:

Depending on the Black Lion price, sell orange items on there, keep them for myself, or salvage with a rare kit if I deem more money can be gained on the chance of an ectoplasm and/or orange rune.

Is this similar to what other people do? My reasoning is that I don't want to vendor blue and green items, I want the chance at more luck.

Am I correct in my assumptions that items below orange quality are not worth selling to players, or are there green and yellow items I should be looking out for?

Generally with yellows and up you want to check the TP before you salvage as sometimes the item is worth more than the ectos you'd get.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

William Bear posted:

I realized after finishing this post that it is way too long for your question, but screw it. It's already written.

I do what you do for blues and greens in most cases. For yellows...

I sell all yellow items on the TP regardless of the current ecto price except for those times where a new patch comes out that results in ecto prices shooting through the roof for a couple days. The market fluctuates so my way is not the most optimal choice all of the time, but it works very well for me and I find that it nets me a lot of gold while keeping my time investment on the TP minimal. Even when using a masters or mystic salvage kit, I have found that the drop rate for ectos just isn't high enough to be worth the risk.

One of the bigger reasons why I do it like this is because despite market fluctuations the prices of yellow items almost always balances themselves out with the current price of ectos quickly. The only time I have found salvaging yellows to be more profitable most of the time is if I am using a black lion's salvage kit that I got for free from a daily or something, but these days I reserve those to salvage blactos from cheap exotics.

However, I have considered changing my strategy. If I did I would sell most yellow weapons on the TP since they tend to be priced higher and I would salvage all other yellows. I would then stockpile my ectos and wait until they shoot up in price exceptionally high and then sell. The only reason I have not done this yet is because it just isn't as exciting for me but it would probably net more gold in the long run.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
Should I not be using the mystic salvage kit on greens and blues?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's what I do just for the sake of convenience.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

I realized after finishing this post that it is way too long for your question, but screw it. It's already written.

I do what you do for blues and greens in most cases. For yellows...

I sell all yellow items on the TP regardless of the current ecto price except for those times where a new patch comes out that results in ecto prices shooting through the roof for a couple days. The market fluctuates so my way is not the most optimal choice all of the time, but it works very well for me and I find that it nets me a lot of gold while keeping my time investment on the TP minimal. Even when using a masters or mystic salvage kit, I have found that the drop rate for ectos just isn't high enough to be worth the risk.

One of the bigger reasons why I do it like this is because despite market fluctuations the prices of yellow items almost always balances themselves out with the current price of ectos quickly. The only time I have found salvaging yellows to be more profitable most of the time is if I am using a black lion's salvage kit that I got for free from a daily or something, but these days I reserve those to salvage blactos from cheap exotics.

However, I have considered changing my strategy. If I did I would sell most yellow weapons on the TP since they tend to be priced higher and I would salvage all other yellows. I would then stockpile my ectos and wait until they shoot up in price exceptionally high and then sell. The only reason I have not done this yet is because it just isn't as exciting for me but it would probably net more gold in the long run.

If you want to micromanage it selling yellows over 30s and salvaging the rest seems like the most profitable strategy.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Ussr posted:

Should I not be using the mystic salvage kit on greens and blues?

Seems a waste. The wiki says that essences of luck do not have increased chance of salvage with a better kit, and no ecto from greens and blues, so you're paying more than you need for no extra benefit.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 23, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

William Bear posted:

Seems a waste. The wiki says that essences of luck do not have increased chance of salvage with a better kit, and no ecto from greens and blues, so you're paying more than you need for no extra benefit.

Well, better for ancient logs, gossamer and ori ores.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If you're just salvaging your drops (e.g. you have an effectively unlimited supply of Mystic Forge Stones with which to create Mystic Salvage Kits from achievement rewards), then it's not really a mistake*. If you're willing to go through some effort TPing, you could convert the mystic forge stones to gold at a decently better rate.

*Except for things that salvage to T4 materials (levels ~51-63) - your "rarer" T5 materials are worth significantly less than T4 materials, so you're actually best off using crude salvage kits on them

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Ghostpilot posted:

Well, better for ancient logs, gossamer and ori ores.

I was unaware that salvage kit quality increased the chance of higher tier materials. Not to be rude, but do you have a source?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Zhentar posted:

If you're just salvaging your drops (e.g. you have an effectively unlimited supply of Mystic Forge Stones with which to create Mystic Salvage Kits from achievement rewards), then it's not really a mistake*. If you're willing to go through some effort TPing, you could convert the mystic forge stones to gold at a decently better rate.

*Except for things that salvage to T4 materials (levels ~51-63) - your "rarer" T5 materials are worth significantly less than T4 materials, so you're actually best off using crude salvage kits on them

What's the best way to do this because I'm sitting on 100+ forge stones.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

William Bear posted:

I was unaware that salvage kit quality increased the chance of higher tier materials. Not to be rude, but do you have a source?

Uh, it's in the tooltip? :confused:

rap music posted:

What's the best way to do this because I'm sitting on 100+ forge stones.

Just the blue, green and yellow kits + mystic forge stone into mystic forge and you'll get a 250 use kit that's the equivalent of a Master Salvage Kit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

William Bear posted:

I can't check right now and can't remember exactly, but I'm 89% sure it says right in the tooltip for salvage kits about a % chance to salvage "rare materials". The actual tier of material is based on the level of the item. IE. level 75 rare? You'll probably get mithril. Level 2? Copper.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

Just the blue, green and yellow kits + mystic forge stone into mystic forge and you'll get a 250 use kit that's the equivalent of a Master Salvage Kit.

I meant what is the best way to convert stones into gold as you mentioned.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rap music posted:

Why would you want to? Making gold is easy in this game, you shouldn't be that desperate. Save your mystic stones for things like slvage kits.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Ghostpilot posted:

Uh, it's in the tooltip? :confused:

3 Mystic Forge Stones.

I'm just wondering if the cost of blue/green/yellow + the 3 stones nets a higher value than just buying the crude kits. Goddamnit I do not have enough sperg in me to figure this out. I blow through maybe 2 mystic salvage kits in a week (maybe more), I don't know if I have the patience to buy 30 crude salvage kits in a week. It's probably a better use of money though.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Stupid me. I thought "rarer materials" just meant ectoplasm chance.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Ussr posted:

3 Mystic Forge Stones.

Oh yeah, that's right.

People tend to keep their money-making methods closer to the chest now (finally). There used to be a GW2 Market thread (back when GW2 had a subforum) where profits went to die.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Ussr posted:

3 Mystic Forge Stones.

I'm just wondering if the cost of blue/green/yellow + the 3 stones nets a higher value than just buying the crude kits. Goddamnit I do not have enough sperg in me to figure this out. I blow through maybe 2 mystic salvage kits in a week (maybe more), I don't know if I have the patience to buy 30 crude salvage kits in a week. It's probably a better use of money though.

Get the salvage-o-matic, seriously.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why would you want to? Making gold is easy in this game, you shouldn't be that desperate. Save your mystic stones for things like slvage kits.

I'm not at all desperate but do prefer to stay liquid, and if it turns out that these things are actually valuable in some way then there is no sense in letting them collect dust.

metacorder
Dec 7, 2007

last of the uplift gnarssh
Mystics kits are 10c per use (ignoring mystic stones). Rare kits are 61c per use.

But, the best reason to use mystic kits is the savings on inventory space.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Illuyankas posted:

Get the salvage-o-matic, seriously.

Holy gently caress, I didn't know that existed. Although I now have to worry if the gold cost / gem cost will pay itself off over time vs mystic kits vs regular kits. Haha, god I should just give up.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

rap music posted:

The best way to convert them to gold (that isn't salvaging) is to throw them in in the forge with three of the cheapest level 75+ exotic weapons you can get (tip: use up your dungeon tokens!). If you're decently lucky, you'll get back a named exotic that has a sigil of bloodlust in it. If you're really lucky, you'll get a precursor (estimated 1% chance per forging).

Getting a decent profit per forge stone really depends on getting a precursor, unfortunately.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

William Bear posted:

It says it right on the salvage kits dude.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ussr posted:

Holy gently caress, I didn't know that existed. Although I now have to worry if the gold cost / gem cost will pay itself off over time vs mystic kits vs regular kits. Haha, god I should just give up.

I have not done the math but I don't think it works out in many people's favor unless you plan to go absolutely nuts with buying blues/greens on the TP for luck. It is a convenience item and worth buying for that alone imo. The infinite salvage tools are the same way.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Ussr posted:

It will never ever pay itself, it is a major convenience though.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Zhentar posted:

The best way to convert them to gold (that isn't salvaging) is to throw them in in the forge with three of the cheapest level 75+ exotic weapons you can get (tip: use up your dungeon tokens!). If you're decently lucky, you'll get back a named exotic that has a sigil of bloodlust in it. If you're really lucky, you'll get a precursor (estimated 1% chance per forging).

Getting a decent profit per forge stone really depends on getting a precursor, unfortunately.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Strongly tempted to buy a salvage-o-matic just so I'm not constantly digging minor runes out of my ears.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I just did the math. At current gem exchange rates, it would take ~1.2 million salvages to pay for itself over a basic kit. 86,000 to save over mystic salvage kits, assuming unlimited free forge stones, and ignoring the lower kit quality.

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
Does anyone have tips on how to die less as an Elementalist in PvE? I like their flashy, spellsword style, but it seems like I've hit a wall. I've been trying to have fun with map completion, but it seems like I just run out of tricks to avoid and restore damage when soloing numerous Veterans or tough Champions... And my real-life friends/guildmates on the Devona's Rest server seem to like just running the Queensdale champ train and not doing content together.

I'm level 80 and decked out in Rare/Exotic equipment. Valkryie armor, typically Berserker weapons and trinkets. I've tried a handful of different builds, haven't found one that clicked. Standard Lava Font build, Fresh Air/Electric Discharge D/D build, Aura-focused ones, terrible Toughness/Condition builds, Lightning Hammer-related ones... Not working out.

Does anyone know of decent sites with nice builds up? The main forums and places like guildwars2guru.com seem either outdated or toxic. Tips on how to not suck besides dodge more? Take a break and move to a totally different class like Guardian?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Have you tried using your elite Earth Elemental to tank group content for you?

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

King Lazer posted:

Strongly tempted to buy a salvage-o-matic just so I'm not constantly digging minor runes out of my ears.

Best thing I ever did.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

King Lazer posted:

I still get tons of those with the salvage o matic. I do salvage hundreds of things a day from the tp though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Zhentar posted:

I just did the math. At current gem exchange rates, it would take ~1.2 million salvages to pay for itself over a basic kit. 86,000 to save over mystic salvage kits, assuming unlimited free forge stones, and ignoring the lower kit quality.

Assuming 500 salvages every week it would take a little over 3 years to pay itself off.

• Locked thread