Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

Where are you shopping? Everything I've seen has been high lately. I keep waffling on Miata vs Spyder, even though I prefer driving the Spyder - it's just hard to justify the extra expense over a NB, especially for something harder to resell due to the lack of trunk (I'm also hesitant to buy long distance without getting to inspect the precats).

Seattle area. There are currently 2 around here for ~$6k, and a couple down in portland around the same price range. Honestly the pre-cat thing is not nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

leica posted:

They're getting cheaper here, but there's the whole pre-cat issue thing that I'm not too familiar with but I know it's not good if it hasn't been taken care of. If I found one cheap with a bad motor I'd jump on it and do the swap, but for a running car it still seems like too much of a risk over a Miata for the cost.

Why do you prefer the Spyder over a Miata?

Seriously, don't worry about the pre-cat issue that much. Pretty much all cars that have not had the cats gutted and are still on the road dont have the problem. Also, it is really only a concern on the 2000 or 2001 cars.

After owning a NA miata, 4 aw11 mr2's and driven a few spyders, I prefer the spyders way more than the miatas. Of course aw11's always hold a special place in my heart, but spyders drive just like a aw11, but modern. Its hard to explain, but everything felt the same just newer and more refined. As nice as my miata was to drive, it just didn't speak to me like my mr2's did. I had a perfectly fine na and I ended up buying another aw11 and stuff the miata in my garage for months till I got rid of it.

Horrible reason to sell your mr2. I knew a guy who always brought his son along to the mr2 meets. He went from having a full on car seat riding shotgun to a booster seat as the kid got older.

Citycop posted:

It's not like that car is worth anything to anyone but him. He should just keep it.

You shut your whore mouth. Though I do agree he should just keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Citycop posted:

It's not like that car is worth anything to anyone but him. He should just keep it.

My younger brother came to the same conclusion about his (dodgy home swapped) turbo S14 - the kid won't be riding in it for a while but selling is hardly worth the hassle considering what the car is worth.

Unless you have no space for the second car then it does make sense to keep it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm gonna have to test drive a Spyder to see what all the fuss is about, I bought my Miata from Toolshack because he liked his spyder more and hardly drove the Miata, and now his wife apparently took it over because she loves it so much.

The only other vehicle I'd consider replacing my Miata with besides a Spyder is a Wrangler :v:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

leica posted:

I'm gonna have to test drive a Spyder to see what all the fuss is about, I bought my Miata from Toolshack because he liked his spyder more and hardly drove the Miata, and now his wife apparently took it over because she loves it so much.

The only other vehicle I'd consider replacing my Miata with besides a Spyder is a Wrangler :v:

Have you ever driven any generation mr2? Go find one to test drive, they are way better to drive than miatas as far as I am concerned. Just have to get over the fact that you have pretty much zero storage space, unless you toss the spare tire, then you have a little bit of space in the frunk and the tiny storage bins behind the seat.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

DefaultPeanut posted:

It should have reminded you of this one first.

:stonk: That noise! That beautiful beautiful noise.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Negromancer posted:

Have you ever driven any generation mr2? Go find one to test drive, they are way better to drive than miatas as far as I am concerned. Just have to get over the fact that you have pretty much zero storage space, unless you toss the spare tire, then you have a little bit of space in the frunk and the tiny storage bins behind the seat.

Hey man theres a trunk in mkII mr2's. :colbert:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ratbert90 posted:

Hey man theres a trunk in mkII mr2's. :colbert:

sw20 mr2's are dead to me :colbert:

but really, yea mk1 and mk2 mr2's both have trunks, and you can fit a amazing amount of stuff in them. I have moved before with only a mk1 mr2, and it was not that hard(granted I did not own any real furniture). I was specifically referencing mk3's in that post, since they said gently caress trunks for that one. On the upside, it gives you much more room to mount a turbo, since the exhaust comes off the back side of the engine on the mk3, unlike the previous versions.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I like the zero storage space in the spyder. Less room for extra weight! I've been on the look for one near Austin off and on for a bit.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

Seattle area.

Oh god are both looking at this? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4291020248.html

Bovril Delight posted:

I like the zero storage space in the spyder. Less room for extra weight! I've been on the look for one near Austin off and on for a bit.

I don't mind it but it makes resale harder.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

God damnit, I knew I should have gotten off my rear end last weekend and driven to everett to check it out.....

There is also a silver one in renton that keeps dropping the price and is almost to a sane level, but I prefer them in white. There is another one by portland that has been listed for a while at $4900, but its red and its been on the market to long for me to believe the seller isn't hiding anything. I don't know what it is about the PNW having such insane prices on convertibles. I am tempted to just fly down to California to pick one up since they are listed all day for around $5k.

I am still not completely set on a spyder, as I do kinda want another aw11.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

God damnit, I knew I should have gotten off my rear end last weekend and driven to everett to check it out.....

There is also a silver one in renton that keeps dropping the price and is almost to a sane level, but I prefer them in white. There is another one by portland that has been listed for a while at $4900, but its red and its been on the market to long for me to believe the seller isn't hiding anything. I don't know what it is about the PNW having such insane prices on convertibles. I am tempted to just fly down to California to pick one up since they are listed all day for around $5k.

I am still not completely set on a spyder, as I do kinda want another aw11.

The red one has been on the market forever; the seller told me the inside smells like cigarettes so I haven't bothered checking it out.

There was a lowish mileage silver pre-2003 in SoCal that sold with matching hardtop for 8400 on eBay recently. A little out of my budget but I keep wondering if I should've gone for it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

The red one has been on the market forever; the seller told me the inside smells like cigarettes so I haven't bothered checking it out.

There was a lowish mileage silver pre-2003 in SoCal that sold with matching hardtop for 8400 on eBay recently. A little out of my budget but I keep wondering if I should've gone for it.

poo poo, if the only thing wrong with it is it smells like cigarette smoke I will have to check it out. I am a horrible smoker so that doesn't really bother me. Any other details I should know?

There is a guy on the spyderchat forums that has been listing a 2001(?) Black spyder with a silver hardtop on and off for the last couple years that would be worth tracking down. He was asking under 10k and it seemed to be a well cared for car. It's more than I am willing to spend right now or I would be picking it up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Negromancer posted:

I owned a AW11 in the early 90's for a few years.....That car was fun, but not better than a Miata imo.

I'd hope the Spyder is better than an AW11.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

poo poo, if the only thing wrong with it is it smells like cigarette smoke I will have to check it out. I am a horrible smoker so that doesn't really bother me. Any other details I should know?

There is a guy on the spyderchat forums that has been listing a 2001(?) Black spyder with a silver hardtop on and off for the last couple years that would be worth tracking down. He was asking under 10k and it seemed to be a well cared for car. It's more than I am willing to spend right now or I would be picking it up.

Can I email you?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

leica posted:

I owned a AW11 in the early 90's for a few years.....That car was fun, but not better than a Miata imo.

Forget a spyder they are ugly as poo poo, get an SW20 :colbert:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
You can spend 10k on an ABFlug widebody and have it look objectively good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

televiper posted:

I'm confused as to when he needs to use the clutch, because I can see no consistent pattern...

Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Always from a stop, but often when you're in a spot where you have to change both the main and secondary in the same shift. It has a lot to do with your road speed and how much you are losing before you can get back on the power.

It sounds complicated, but you just start to "know" by sound and feel once you've been driving something like that for more than a few days. It's not something you actively need to think about, which is why it's so hard to explain - along with the fact that so much of it is by feel.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The first time I've wished the misspelled word to be the real one:
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4300486386.html

I would buy the poo poo out of Devil Signature anything.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

leica posted:

aw11 with its stock engine and suspension? Yea, I could see a miata being more fun than that. aw11 with a blacktop 20v swap and new struts/springs/bushings? I would take that over a miata any day.

Same thing goes for spyders, compared to a stock aw11 its way better. Compared to my last aw11 they are about on par with each other.

Nodoze posted:

Forget a spyder they are ugly as poo poo, get an SW20 :colbert:

I still stand by my opinion that sw20's are way to bloated compared to the rest of the generations. The hard tops have ~400lbs(t-top ones are closer to 600lbs) more to haul around and are bigger in all dimensions.

Anyways, everyone knows AW11 are the best looking :colbert:

Octopus Magic posted:

You can spend 10k on an ABFlug widebody and have it look objectively good.

I like the look of that, until I saw the back. Not sure how I feel about the tail lights. Personally, I really like the APR and Veilside widebody kits.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Negromancer posted:

I still stand by my opinion that sw20's are way to bloated compared to the rest of the generations. The hard tops have ~400lbs(t-top ones are closer to 600lbs) more to haul around and are bigger in all dimensions.

400lbs to have a nicer looking car with more legroom and a nicer trunk with a nicer body and better engine options? Don't mind if I do. :colbert:

quote:

Anyways, everyone knows AW11 are the best looking :colbert:

No way dude. SW20's look way nicer.

:colbert: :colbert:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

Someone took the time to set up that picture, but couldn't be arsed to hang the license plate properly and clean the rear bumper?

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

ratbert90 posted:

I choose to believe he ran over something that hosed up the angle of his exhaust pipe, and that's not a life choice that he made willingly.

Jesus. :barf:

In any case, I owned a Supercharged MR2 until last year, and it was the biggest possible piece of poo poo. Anything you wanted to replace on it was a nightmare, and heinously expensive compared to any other Toyota I've ever seen. It was a blast to drive, but I wouldn't own another AW16 unless I had another car to drive every day, a lift to work on it with, and stacks and stacks of cash. The regular AW11 seems like a much better engineered car, especially if you do a 2ZZ/C160 swap.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ratbert90 posted:

400lbs to have a nicer looking car with more legroom and a nicer trunk with a nicer body and better engine options? Don't mind if I do. :colbert:

To each their own, but personally I don't think you can get much better than this

Honestly I have never been a fan of the sw20s. Better engine stock? sure, but its pretty drat ez to cram a 3sgte in a aw11 or a v6 or a 2zz.

ironblock posted:

In any case, I owned a Supercharged MR2 until last year, and it was the biggest possible piece of poo poo. Anything you wanted to replace on it was a nightmare, and heinously expensive compared to any other Toyota I've ever seen. It was a blast to drive, but I wouldn't own another AW16 unless I had another car to drive every day, a lift to work on it with, and stacks and stacks of cash. The regular AW11 seems like a much better engineered car, especially if you do a 2ZZ/C160 swap.

Never owned an s/c, but I have heard they are way more temperamental than a na one. I really had very few issues with any of mine(besides people driving into them) despite having engine swaps/harsh suspension and beating the poo poo out of them. I think I DDed aw11's for over 5 years all together and always had them as my only car.

The maintenance thing is a bitch on all mr2s. Anything big needs to be done? step 1: remove engine. At least they made dropping the drivetrain out relatively ez.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

blk posted:

The first time I've wished the misspelled word to be the real one:
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4300486386.html

I would buy the poo poo out of Devil Signature anything.

Hmmm... What's the best way to show off this car I'm selling? I know, let's use that shot of it going onto a loving flatbed! :wtf:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
So I just bought our winter driver on Craigslist, is it bad that one of my criteria for even bothering to contact someone was that they not have incredibly lovely pictures? I just kind of figured if they can't be assed to take at least a picture that's recognizable they didn't give a poo poo about the car.

Also that '78 not '76 Trans Am is not far from me, I should really go look at that.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

subx posted:

So I just bought our winter driver on Craigslist, is it bad that one of my criteria for even bothering to contact someone was that they not have incredibly lovely pictures? I just kind of figured if they can't be assed to take at least a picture that's recognizable they didn't give a poo poo about the car.

Also that '78 not '76 Trans Am is not far from me, I should really go look at that.

Keep insisting that it's a '76.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I'm sure plenty of you already read BAT, but I had to post this here:

An Aston Martin that currently is at only $5,700!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171224083745

Oh yeah, it's a Lagonda...A non-running Lagonda...A non running Lagonda that appears to have been stored in sewer. But don't worry "Here is a great opportunity to own one of the best made cars in the world which can be restored to it's original beauty for a small investment."

I actually kinda like the Lagonda. It's weird and I like weird. But I also can't think of a worse project car that's not already someone's backyard abortion.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I prefer this Lagonda.

Mostly because only 55 were made, but someone still did this:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Wow, someone managed to rock the Edsel grill with becoming completely offensive.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

trouser chili posted:

Lagonda...A non-running Lagonda...
That pretty much goes without saying.

trouser chili posted:

which can be restored to it's original beauty for a small investment."

Does that investment include the cost to design and build a time machine capable of letting you travel back to an era when you could actually obtain the parts for a reasonable price?
Oh, right, it would have to be a pan dimensional machine which would enable you to travel to different dimension when the parts were available and were affordable.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

trouser chili posted:

Oh yeah, it's a Lagonda...A non-running Lagonda...A non running Lagonda that appears to have been stored in sewer. But don't worry "Here is a great opportunity to own one of the best made cars in the world which can be restored to it's original beauty for a small investment."

I actually kinda like the Lagonda. It's weird and I like weird. But I also can't think of a worse project car that's not already someone's backyard abortion.

That thing is begging to be on a Top Gear challenge.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
gently caress yeah, 'Merica!

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/4254723742.html

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

trouser chili posted:

Oh my god

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The horn button is on the stalk.

I don't think I've ever seen such a good picture of a Lagonda interior before. It's just incredible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That looks like it would be an amazing amount of fun to sit in the driveway and fiddle with, but just horrible to actually try to use and live with while driving.

Fortunately, the latter problem doesn't crop up much.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Tai-Pan posted:

That pretty much goes without saying.

Does that investment include the cost to design and build a time machine capable of letting you travel back to an era when you could actually obtain the parts for a reasonable price?
Oh, right, it would have to be a pan dimensional machine which would enable you to travel to different dimension when the parts were available and were affordable.

Well..

http://www.astonmartin.com/en/heritage/past-models/lagonda/parts

and the engine is just a normal AMV 8.

While the steering wheel on that gereration is cooler, I prefer the later model dash

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I am glad I am not the only one who loves that interior. Especially the dual ash trays, just so the driver wont get confused about which cigarette is theirs while driving. I can't quite figure out where the heater controls are tho....

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
top left on the pod thats the left of the wheel.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4298924291.html

If I still lived in the Bay Area...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Mighty Horse posted:

top left on the pod thats the left of the wheel.

ah, now I see it. I like the layout, gently caress passengers, only the driver gets to gently caress with the heater!