Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

They probably underbid everyone else and governments love that poo poo.
It's how they got the dutch/belgian contract. They said they could make a 250kph system for cheaper than siemens and alstom could make a 220kph, having never produced a high speed setup on their own before.

This is all after the DSB debacle got well underway, so there's really no excuse.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

At least you're not working in the Great Lakes. Chicago, Northern Indiana and Northern Ohio are currently hosed. I have a train that will be close to 30 hours late(at best) by the time it gets in.

FWIW - UP Chicago hasn't humped (switched out you dirty minded bastards) a rail car since 18:00 Sunday. Still trying to recover that aftermath.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

It's how they got the dutch/belgian contract. They said they could make a 250kph system for cheaper than siemens and alstom could make a 220kph, having never produced a high speed setup on their own before.

This is all after the DSB debacle got well underway, so there's really no excuse.

What a loving mess it was too. I think it was in spotty service all of 2 months before the trains were pulled for safety reasons, like the doors opening while at full speed.

There still isn't a good connection between Brussels and Amsterdam, and it's been something like a year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

They probably underbid everyone else and governments love that poo poo.

...and are sometimes bound by legislation to accept the lowest bid. This is a tried and true lovely contractor/manufacturer business plan in many industries.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Motronic posted:

...and are sometimes bound by legislation to accept the lowest bid. This is a tried and true lovely contractor/manufacturer business plan in many industries.

Speaking of that, meet CA HSR contract winner Tutor Perini!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Are there any decent train podcasts out there? I found one called Let's Talk Trains and it seems interesting but the audio quality is really low.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Cygni posted:

I honestly can't think of an AnsaldoBreda customer in the last 20 years happy with their units... no idea how they still get contracts.

They are doing the rebuild of our LRRT trains. It's like 7 years overdo and the 4 cars we got back all have piles of issues and each one is built differently because why the hell not! They are a special kind of terrible.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

evil_bunnY posted:

AnsaldoBreda promised something that would look like Mat '54, the iconic 'hondekop' :geert:, and even that they didn't deliver.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
ugly UPRR rear-ender just east of Ogden on the east-west line
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/08/us-usa-utah-derailment-idUSBREA071LY20140108

Here is where that crash picture appears to be from
https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=off&q=41.136611,-111.899006

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I can't for the life of me find it but I remember seeing a video of a freight train hitting a semi at a crossing and you could hear every single car's wheels squealing from the brakes being applied.

Also, Cajon Pass in Train Simulator is rough. I tried doing the career mission on it and it's a continuous slope downhill where you have to put the brakes on at least 65% or you'll go over the limit. Ever since they added experience points and medals to the game I've tried improving on driving and so far I suck immensely because every little thing you do counts. I still love it though, and I got the PRR K4 DLC recently so now I have a badass steam locomotive from one of my favorite railroads. All they need to do now is add some US narrow gauge stuff like Cumbres & Toltec or something.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 9, 2014

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Run 8 is the best simulator I've seen. It even simulates waiting 20 minutes to charge the air, and then never getting above 4mph going up a steep grade :D

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

You ever have one of those ideas that you think initially is brilliant but then realize you're not so smart and that if it was actually brilliant someone would have done it already?

I was thinking today: "What about a chinatown bus, but trains." Boston to NYC nonstop for $30 each or something. Smoother and faster than the bus, but cheaper than Amtrak. Something set up for super commuters and college kids. It must be waaaaaay more expensive than I'm thinking or it would have been done already.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Chinatown busses work because they don't have to support the cost of the highway on their own. You can't put more trains on the northeast corridor, it's already overloaded. The NEC's route is just bad, but it runs through a lovely mix of high property values and conservation land so unless Amtrak can afford to build a complete new line inland somewhere (and good luck building a new railroad through two of the highest population density States in the US) it just isn't happening.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

B4Ctom1 posted:

ugly UPRR rear-ender just east of Ogden on the east-west line
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/08/us-usa-utah-derailment-idUSBREA071LY20140108

Here is where that crash picture appears to be from
https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=off&q=41.136611,-111.899006

Friend of a friend actually witnessed this one.

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_9045.shtml?wap=0

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

From the video I can tell I picked pretty close to the spot the wreck happened based on visual cues in the first pictures using google maps street view.

I noticed that location is an outside curve as well, which between the weather and the curve can obscure another train.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 9, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I've just noticed the most amazing service update on the Southern Railway website;

Southern Rawilway posted:

London Underground Circle Line Information
MONUMENT STATION: Caution! Take extra care when getting on and off Circle line trains here. The introduction of new, low floor trains to increase accessibility has changed the gap between the train and the platform

Progress! Making things betterworse! :suicide:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Does anyone have access to the M-211 part of the "AAR Manual of Standards and Recommended Practices, Section S, Part I:Casting Details" ?

I need access to the part covering coupler and yoke strength limits. A scan of it.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I've just noticed the most amazing service update on the Southern Railway website;

Is the gap like, super big? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of low floors?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

ijustam posted:

Is the gap like, super big? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of low floors?

Yes.

Victorian engineers didn't care so much about things like 'accessibility' and 'safety'.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Here is a neat gif

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

jammyozzy posted:

Yes.

Victorian engineers didn't care so much about things like 'accessibility' and 'safety'.

No really, MIND THE loving GAP

Although still not as bad as Southwest trains and the 2 foot drop to the platform at Clapham Junction :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey does this count? My father's been a railroad nut since I was born and roughly 10 years ago he bought himself a speeder.

I know nothing about it other than it's loud as gently caress, slow as balls and good god does it stink when running.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Back to work on Monday, headed to Mojave. I sure don't envy those guys in the Midwest out there in 0 and below temps.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

This has been bugging me for a while...when are engineers supposed to use the locomotive's bell? I've seen videos where they use it when starting and I think that's it but I'm not sure.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Most trains (in the U.S. anyways) will automatically trip the bell any time the whistle is blown, and then rely on the engineer to manually turn the bell off.

It's not really used for anything by itself, other than act as constant reminder that "Hey there's a huge 40 ton object moving near you, watch out!"

There may actually be some situations around populated areas (tracks running through a downtown where noise concerns are an issue) where a bell may be used by itself.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ring the bell:

Passing standing equipment on the main line

Passing a passenger platform

To bring attention to the engine or train.

Passing men/equipment in Yard Limits/Other than main track

And as directed by other special instructions.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Long exposure of a train travelling through the Canadian Rockies. Like something straight out of Tron.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

The S-stock? Hate them. The Met ones have been in service a year and a half and they still smell chemically. Bring back the bouncy, roomy, dirty A stock :(

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
http://www.theonion.com/video/breaking-hundreds-feared-dead-in-coors-light-party,34973/

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

Barkley B Cooltimes! Noooooo!

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
I was taking my daughter for a walk today when we happened across this contraption:

It was dropping what look like replacement cross ties along the line at semi-regular intervals:

My daughter could not get enough of the thing. After watching it for a few minutes, I turned the stroller around to take her to the park, and she cried until I turned back around so she could watch it some more.

Here's the finished product:

Not only do they appear (to my untrained eye) to be way longer than the original cross ties, there are definitely not enough of them with which to replace all the cross ties under the rails. I would very much like to know what this is all about.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Generally they only replace what's rotted out. Usually its like every 5 ties gets a new one.

Edit: you should see the big gangs do tie replacement. Its pretty bad rear end.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVhYT36s6D8 This is the sort of thing that they use when they replace all of the ties.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Whoops.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

So apparently the Victoria Line is currently suspended due to quick-drying cement being poured into a signalling equipment room:

http://usvsth3m.com/post/74285062011/you-wont-believe-why-the-victoria-line-is-currently

Someone at London Underground / Victoria Station upgrade is gonna get so fired.

E: gently caress, TABLES

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 23, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is some vicious vandalism.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That looks like it may take a while to fix!
Edit: I don't understand. Why was an engineering team pouring concrete there?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlesM posted:

That looks like it may take a while to fix!
Edit: I don't understand. Why was an engineering team pouring concrete there?

An engineering team was likely fixing another issue entirely and ended up with a breached wall or form during their pour and this room was downhill of the screwup.

It's not all that uncommon - I've been on two job sites where near the entirety of the suspended floor has been filled with concrete due to miscalculations in how much load the existing room wall would hold when pouring the foundation for an addition - wall blows out, concrete comes in.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

An engineering team was likely fixing another issue entirely and ended up with a breached wall or form during their pour and this room was downhill of the screwup.

It's not all that uncommon - I've been on two job sites where near the entirety of the suspended floor has been filled with concrete due to miscalculations in how much load the existing room wall would hold when pouring the foundation for an addition - wall blows out, concrete comes in.

pretty much

quote:

Nigel Holness, LU's Operations Director, said: "This afternoon our contractors were working on the new station in an area next to the Victoria line signal control room. These works involved the use of water and cement which leaked into the room, damaging equipment. This has meant there are no signals working on the southern section of the line.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

What do the train engineers do if there's no signal? Just... stop and phone it in? Or do you have to crawl along at 5mph, communicating with dispatch about block activity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah they're trying to build whole new bits of station whilst still keeping the other bits of the station open, underground, with a major rail terminal and bus station above them.

TfL posted:

While an enormous of amount of work has already been completed to transform Victoria station, there is still a lot to do before the project finishes in 2018.

When work is finished, there will be fewer delays, less congestion, step-free access and quicker journeys.

Benefits will include:
  • A new underground north ticket hall at the junction of Bressenden Place and Victoria Street, with street-level entrance
  • A larger Victoria line ticket hall (the south ticket hall)
  • A new passenger tunnel connecting the two ticket halls
  • Nine new escalators
  • New lifts
The work extends far beyond the station.

As part of the upgrade, passenger tunnels are being built that will link the existing Victoria line ticket hall (which is being extended) and the new north ticket hall under Bressenden Place.

The ground around these tunnels, however, needs to be strengthened so that tunnelling can proceed safely.

This is why the areas on and around Wilton Road, Victoria Street and Allington Street are all affected.

ijustam posted:

What do the train engineers do if there's no signal? Just... stop and phone it in? Or do you have to crawl along at 5mph, communicating with dispatch about block activity?

I think it's even worse than that, as it's all computer-controlled ATO so if the signalling isn't working the trains don't get told where the blocks are, and even if you can run a limited service it simply isn't safe due to the passenger loading. The Victoria line is the most intensively used Underground line, and if they can't run ~33 trains an hour in the peaks it gets overcrowded quickly.

e: TfL signalling bollox - http://www.therailengineer.com/2013/03/08/resignalling-the-victoria-line/
http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Victoria%20Line%20ATO.htm

and the similar-but-different Aslef Shrugged who writes about driving the Central Line trains http://aslefshrugged.blogspot.co.uk/2010_04_01_archive.html

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 23, 2014