Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ussr posted:

Assuming 500 salvages every week it would take a little over 3 years to pay itself off.

But convenience pays off now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Or I hand over :10bux: to Arena.net and call it a day.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

TwoQuestions posted:

I just rolled an elementalist for wvw, as people keep calling for static fields and water fields on doors and the like, and I love it. I got more bags with my lvl 20 ele than I generally do with my 80 grenade engineer with full exotic Rampager's, and I was more able to heal/cleanse people attacking doors while under AC fire.

However, while celestial gear looks good to me it seems you can only get the recipes from the Zephyr Sanctum, which has since sailed away to places unknown. Is it still possible to get Celestial armor, or should I go Cleric's or something?

You can buy the recipes on the trading post, search Recipe: Celestial Exalted to get a list of all the light armor ones. Last I checked they were the most expensive, although the price might have dropped since they are nerfing crit damage which will make Celestial gear far less appealing than it currently is most likely.

If you really want bags from WvW zerging, roll a necro or guardian.

weinus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 23, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

Spoken like a true member of the SFD Gem Suicide Pact 2013-?.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

UchihaHirou posted:

Yeah just do this. The salvage-o-matic talks in a robot voice when you use it, how could you pass that up?

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012

Ussr posted:

Holy gently caress, I didn't know that existed. Although I now have to worry if the gold cost / gem cost will pay itself off over time vs mystic kits vs regular kits. Haha, god I should just give up.

Edit: What I was going to say about the stats on it have already been answered. Its really worth in the long run. It was the best purchase i have made followed by the Royal Scroll.

Mosthated fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 23, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

UchihaHirou posted:

That's exactly how I justified my infinite gathering tools. Money well spent!

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

Traxus IV posted:

Yeah just do this. The salvage-o-matic talks in a robot voice when you use it, how could you pass that up?

I think the biggest value is knowing that the first slot of my backpack will always be the same, through thick and thin.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pretty sure you guys just convinced me to buy gems for this thing tonight.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'd probably get the infinite gathering tools for my alt once they come back, they're that good. Don't really see the point in the salvage machine though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I salvage all of the time and get annoyed every time my mystic kit runs out even though it is 250 uses. That plus I need to find more reasons to throw money at anet every now and then because otherwise I feel like a cheapskate. Plus robot noises! I wasn't aware it did that until today. I think that is what is pushing me over the edge beyond always wanting one regardless.

Oh and the infinite tools are account bound now btw so if you already have some for your main you don't need to buy any for your alt.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CODChimera posted:

I'd probably get the infinite gathering tools for my alt once they come back, they're that good. Don't really see the point in the salvage machine though.

I didn't either until i got one.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A few pages back we had some Engineer chat. What was the name of that consumable poison that acts like an "oil" or "tuning crystal" whose effect has no ICD?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

A few pages back we had some Engineer chat. What was the name of that consumable poison that acts like an "oil" or "tuning crystal" whose effect has no ICD?

Skale Venom

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Are the Firearms changes happening in that big balance patch? I really want a reason to level a FT Engie.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

rap music posted:

Are the Firearms changes happening in that big balance patch? I really want a reason to level a FT Engie.

I believe so, though with all the things up in the air, who knows. If so, FT will be the first thing I test.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think I have been converted to casual eSports player. I jumped in on my Guardian and have been having a blast with Hammer/Staff 0/5/30/30/5. Best part for me is that I can jump in with limited time and just get straight to killing things. Not all rounds are awesome, but at least I'm having fun! Now, was there an eSports list that someone had going? Because I want to be on it. I can only imagine it's more fun with goons. (Aside from the part where I tried killing a Ranger from SFD the other day and barely made a dent. That was just embarrassing.)

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
After a while you get sick of the same maps and only one game mode, the pvp itself is fun but what they have is so drat repetitive it is not viable long term entertainment.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

malhavok posted:

After a while you get sick of the same maps and only one game mode, the pvp itself is fun but what they have is so drat repetitive it is not viable long term entertainment.

I can see that, and if I were playing it for more than an hour a day I'd probably get bored pretty quickly. I do enjoy what feels like free coin too.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Jhet posted:

I think I have been converted to casual eSports player. I jumped in on my Guardian and have been having a blast with Hammer/Staff 0/5/30/30/5. Best part for me is that I can jump in with limited time and just get straight to killing things. Not all rounds are awesome, but at least I'm having fun! Now, was there an eSports list that someone had going? Because I want to be on it. I can only imagine it's more fun with goons. (Aside from the part where I tried killing a Ranger from SFD the other day and barely made a dent. That was just embarrassing.)

I can assure you that Ranger was not me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I can assure you that Ranger was not me.

It was probably Cletus, he's pretty unskilled. Died a lot in SE the other day too, not as often as Goshawk in AC at least!

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

Plus robot noises!
NOW I SHALL BREAK YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

rap music posted:

Ghostpilot posted:

I believe so, though with all the things up in the air, who knows. If so, FT will be the first thing I test.

What's all this then?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'd get better value out of the salvage-o-matic and the Royal Pass if there was an easier way to share items between characters. I can never remember to put it in the bank before logging out and fetching it again which I switch to another alt.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Jhet posted:

Just message Laziness.5921 and I'll toss you an invite.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CLAM DOWN posted:

It was probably Cletus, he's pretty unskilled. Died a lot in SE the other day too, not as often as Goshawk in AC at least!

Has he figured out how to pull Tazza yet?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

What's all this then?

Devs have mentioned reworking the Firearms trait line, potentially making the flamethrower a viable kit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Has he figured out how to pull Tazza yet?

He tried but tripped on the stairs. We all felt bad for laughing.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

gandlethorpe posted:

What's all this then?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/engineer/December-10th-Balance-update/page/2#post3139724

Jon Peters posted:

Ok I had some time to talk through some of the engineer discussion. Overall Engineer is in a difficult place because they have a ton of good adept traits, not a lot of good master traits, and again a good # of grandmasters so you end up spreading points fairly diversly to get all the good adept traits but lose out on a lot of power by failing to get as many grandmaster traits. Here is what I see a lot of talk about :

Incendiary Powder
Moving this was just something that was a long time coming. It was simply forcing almost every engineer into 10 points in Explosives which was really hurting build diversity. We have tried to counter this by improving other triats that might now be reachable by dropping those 10 points. For example Modified Ammunition, Elixir Infuxed Bombs, and Armor Mods. Now all three of these lines, some more than others, have a strong reason to invest 30 points to match the strong grandmasters already in the other lines.Grenadier, Autodefense Bomb Dispenser, HGH, and Automated Response.

Firearms
We still feel this line is lackluster and in the future some merging and redesigning will take place, but we took the lowest hanging fruit for now. We talked about this line more than any other trait line, but at the end of the day the work and testing required got out of scope for this release. The other spot this line could get a quick pick-me-up is by making at least 2 or 3 of the adept traits in this line good choices.

Invogorating Speed
The indirect nerf to this through speedy kits will reduce some surviveability in the alchemy line, but we felt like it was important given how much other strong stuff that line has.

Master tier traits
Some good suggestions on builds that might open up if we improve some of the master tier traits would be good to see. Here is a pretty decent list of master tier traits that I still find underwhelming.

Explosive Powder, Enhance Performance, Power Showes, Elite Supplies, Deadly Mixture, Potent Elixirs, Packaged Stimulents, Power Wrench, Leg Mods.

Keep the discussion going and let’s see if we can find some room in those traits to bring those trait lines some more into play.

We won’t be able to address all of the concerns, but we will address the most pressing if we can.

Thanks,

Jon

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013

rap music posted:

Have you tried using your elite Earth Elemental to tank group content for you?

Actually hadn't thought of that. Guess I'm too used to pets being mostly annoyances in MMOs, but this made things more fun. Rolling with a Glyph-based build right now and it's pretty neat. Thanks for the advice.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Ederick posted:

Actually hadn't thought of that. Guess I'm too used to pets being mostly annoyances in MMOs, but this made things more fun. Rolling with a Glyph-based build right now and it's pretty neat. Thanks for the advice.

I don't blame you for not thinking of it. I've mained elementalist since the beginning and often forget I even have an elite skill.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Ederick posted:

Glyph of Storms earth attunement is a constant blind for the duration. It's just nifty as Black Powder in letting you pour damage onto something. Ice bow is also useful because skill 5 is a long lasting stun and skill 4 does a good deal of damage. I had no problems leveling my ele to 80 by exploring the map instead of grinding group events with a zerg in this manner.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Score another titbot win for SFD. :woop:

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I now have a ranger working her way to 80 (or college, idk), named Matriarchy and a pet pig named Typical Male.

God I love this game.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
So I've fought the cobalt and crimson wurm heads now, and it seems like crimson must be the easiest of the 3 just based on the fact that the amber one's HP never even goes down. :v:

Cobalt seemed like far too much of a clusterfuck, but I tried it on patch night so it's probably marginally better now.

We had about 40 people on an overflow tonight and got the crimson head's HP down to about 50%. To kill it we might have needed any of the following

a) everyone in ascended berserker (or at least not greens)
b) perfect might stacking
c) twice as many people
d) all of the above

I'm eager to try amber and become incredibly angry at whatever goes on there.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So, BG managed to get all three wurms down, but then they had to take down the decapitated wurm heads in two minutes time. Normally, this would be easy, except the heads flop around and can't be immobilized. I'm sure there is probably a pattern to where they land, but that is yet another obstacle you have to overcome.

Overall, I'm kinda impressed by how long this is taking and how much is involved, but making the megaboss just another group of wurms is a big waste of artistic talent and creativity.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
I don't know, I haven't compared them side by side, but my impression has been that the new wurm models are somehow slightly redesigned from the old ones, beyond the colors. I might be wrong.

Somehow the experience seems very fresh to me, maybe just because I've never seen such chaotic PvE. Yakety Sax would be appropriate if it wasn't so worn out.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

sound_again posted:

So I've fought the cobalt and crimson wurm heads now, and it seems like crimson must be the easiest of the 3 just based on the fact that the amber one's HP never even goes down. :v:

Cobalt's the easiest, I think. It was a bit harder patch night, due to a bug, but it was still probably the easiest then if you understood it (Cobalt was the first one TTS downed).

Amber is definitely the hardest.

Step 1) Kill a special Risen Abomination that leaves an AoE
Step 2) At least 20 people need to get a special debuff from that AoE
Step 3) At least 20 debuffed people need to stand in a spot with a red arrow, to get eaten by the wurm (I had problems with this step for reasons I didn't understand)
Step 4) Inside the wurm, you need to pick up a speargun from a skeleton (this is hard if you don't know what's up because there are 20-30 people crammed in a small area so you may not even see it), and use that speargun to shoot a sphincter to get vomited out of the wurm
Step 5) After being vomited, your speargun is left with a single shot, which you must fire at the wurm. Make sure you don't get downed! (I somehow lost my speargun without getting downed, I don't know why)
Step 6) After 20 people shoot the wurm, it's a burn phase

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

sound_again posted:

I'm eager to try amber and become incredibly angry at whatever goes on there.
You get smothered in goo from an exploding abomination, stand on a red arrow, get knocked over by a wall of husks, run around trying to kill some adds until you flailingly spot another abomination, get recoated in goo, stand on the red arrow again, avoid being knocked over and get swallowed. Then you pick up a harpoon gun, fire it at a sphincter, get launched out with your normal weaponry and wonder what you're meant to do as the stacks of invinciblity on the wurm drop to 17, read the dulfy page to see you need to fire the last shot of the harpoon at its head and start swearing when you realise you either had it glitched or far more probably wasted it in the lag between being spat out and pressing 1 to fire it while inside. And so did everyone else.

The lesson is read the dulfy page first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also you where having trouble with step 3 cause it was bugged, but that's fixed now.

• Locked thread