Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Powershift posted:

It's probably best we don't discuss the new navigator this close to supper time, people may be eating.

Official debut is tomorrow.
The Navigator looks like it's saying "Son, I am disappoint" to the Lincoln designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

It's probably best we don't discuss the new navigator this close to supper time, people may be eating.

Official debut is tomorrow.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

It's terrifying how accurate this is...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Throatwarbler posted:

Ford press release says the 3.5l TT engine will be in it. I'm surprised the 6.2l isn't going in too. Interior will be new as well.

If the 3.5l TT is enough to comfortably pull the Weinermobile that's a pretty impressive ad talking point.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Throatwarbler posted:

Ford press release says the 3.5l TT engine will be in it. I'm surprised the 6.2l isn't going in too. Interior will be new as well.

6.2 is gone from the F150 too, it's probably dead in the next few years.

Also long-term look for Lincoln to go to an all Ecoboost engine lineup. At least, that's the rumored plan.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Q_res posted:

6.2 is gone from the F150 too, it's probably dead in the next few years.

Also long-term look for Lincoln to go to an all Ecoboost engine lineup. At least, that's the rumored plan.

Why would it be dead when the engine is a ground up design barely a few years old? Are the Superdutys going to be diesel only?

I didn't see a whole lot wrong with the Navigator or Expedition other than engine and interior both of which could have been easily fixed but inexplicably they've been left to rot on the vine.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well it's out.

quote:

Seven years is a long time. It represents a year of a dog's life and is long enough to cover high school and most of college for the average human. For the auto industry, though, seven years is an absolute eternity. Most vehicles receive clean-sheet redesigns within the span of seven years, usually getting a facelift of some sort after year three or four. Not Lincoln.

Nope, believe it or not, Lincoln has sold the same vehicle since 2007, adding little more than small mechanical tweaks or new paint options. Yes, we're talking about the Navigator, a full-size sport utility vehicle that hasn't felt fresh and competitive for a while. That's now changed, as Lincoln has finally given its SUV a facelift for model year 2015.

It hasn't changed dramatically, though. This is still a big, luxury-oriented SUV. It's a body-on-frame vehicle, designed to tow and relax in equal measure. After seeing it in person at a closed backgrounder ahead of its Chicago Auto Show debut, we're left wondering if maybe Lincoln still has any business playing in the realm of the Mercedes-Benz GL, Cadillac Escalade and Range Rover. You can make up your own mind on that front. But while you're doing that, have a look below at just what Lincoln has done to freshen the 2015 Navigator.
2015 Lincoln Navigator and Navigator L

Gone is the 5.4-liter Triton V8 of the old model. In its place sits the familiar 3.5-liter, EcoBoost V6.

The big news for the Navigator comes under the hood. Gone is the 5.4-liter Triton V8 of the old model. In its place sits the familiar 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6. Lincoln is touting at least 370 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque, making this the most powerful version of the twin-turbo EcoBoost six-cylinder we've seen. For comparison, the current Ford F-150 EcoBoost is quoted at 365 hp and 420 lb-ft, while the new Escalade's 6.2-liter V8 promises 420 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque.

"Drivers will feel the power when they step on the gas," said Elaine Bannon, the chief engineer on the 2015 Navigator. "The new EcoBoost engine sets the standard in this vehicle segment with its balance of performance and efficiency."

Lincoln projects that the new engine will deliver best-in-class towing of 9,000 pounds, besting the more powerful Escalade's 8,200-lb tow rating. The new engine will also be exclusively mated to a six-speed automatic that will feature a manual mode, and both rear and four-wheel drive will be available. While no specifics are available yet, Lincoln is projecting a big bump in fuel economy over the outgoing powertrain.

To iron out the ride of the body-on-frame SUV, Lincoln has fitted its Drive Control system, which uses continuously controlled dampers to monitor road conditions and adjust the ride accordingly. Like in the MKZ, the Navigator will feature Sport (ha!), Comfort and Normal modes for its adaptive dampers.

2015 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator2015 Lincoln Navigator

The old Navigator's dated, bling-bling front fascia has been completely replaced.

As the Navigator had been rolling about with technology from 2007, one of the priorities for the new model was to update the quality and caliber of the vehicle's systems. MyLincoln Touch with Sync is now standard and controlled through an eight-inch, touchscreen display in the dash. The instrument cluster, meanwhile, is now home to twin 4.2-inch displays that flank a central speedometer, much like the rest of the Lincoln range. Push-button start is standard, as is passive entry. A rear-view camera comes standard, although blind-spot monitoring will be an optional extra.

The old Navigator's dated, bling-bling front fascia has been completely replaced with something that looks vaguely like Lincoln's so-called "split-wing grille." The new design strikes us as a heavy handed and uninspired, lacking the sort of style we so enjoyed on the MKZ. As for the rear end, we'll simply mention that there's more than a little of cross-town rival Dodge Durango to be found in that light cluster.

Functional changes for the Navigator's exterior include HID headlamps with LED running lights, as well as full LED taillights. Twenty-inch wheels now come standard, up from 18s on the 2014 model, while a set of striking 22-inch wheels is available as part of the "Reserve" package. The two Navigators we saw both featured the 22s, and we'll admit, they were one of the highlights of this refresh.

2015 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator2015 Lincoln Navigator2015 Lincoln Navigator

The blend of high-quality materials with cheap plastic taints what could have been a solid interior update.

"From a design standpoint, the new Navigator is more of what Lincoln customers want in a full-size luxury SUV," said Jim Grake, Lincoln exterior designer. "Our customers will appreciate that, in addition to the substantial design changes, the new vehicle preserves the qualities that made Navigator great."

Below the eight-inch touchscreen is Ziricote wood, which Lincoln claims is the first time the wood, which is traditionally found as an accent on yachts, has been used in a vehicle. But surrounding the touchscreen is cheap, hard, off-black plastic, above which is leather. It's a similar story on the doors, where padded leather makes up the arm rest and wood acts as an accent, while the rest of the door is plastic. The steering wheel, meanwhile, features Wollsdorf leather and wood accents, but is sourced from the current Ford F-150. The blend of high-quality materials with cheap plastic taints what could have been a solid interior update.

We can slam the Navigator for its interior materials all day long, but what isn't in dispute is the absolute wealth of room it provides. These are still huge vehicles, with the short-wheelbase offering up 54.4 cubic feet of space behind the second row. Fold the second and third rows down, and the volume increases to 103.3 cu. ft. The Navigator L, meanwhile, has 86.3 cu. ft. of space behind the second row. Fold both rows down, and LWB models offer 128.2 cu. ft. of space. That's very nearly as much as a long-wheelbase Transit Connect, and it handily bests the 120.5 cu. ft. of the new Escalade ESV.

2015 Lincoln Navigator

"We have this iconic vehicle with untapped potential," said Bannon. "Now it's got more of what our customers want. It's got the new Lincoln design DNA on the exterior, a redesigned instrument panel, a leather Reserve Package, 22-inch wheels. Once we were able to include all of those elements, I knew we had a winner."

The 2015 Navigator is expected to begin production at the end of the summer, with sales slated to begin in early fall. We'll have more on the Navigator when it makes its official debut at the 2014 Chicago Auto Show early next month.

Overall it's pretty good. I think it looks better than the Escalade, and having both more interior room with IRS and a better tow rating is good work.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 23, 2014

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

It's not terrible. It's "meh" at best.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The front of that thing isn't evoking wings so much as diabeetus testing supplies.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
hahahahahaha I never thought I'd say it, but the new Escalade looks beautiful compared to that. While Lincoln has decided to go back to some weird retro-80's look, Cadillac managed to dabble in the dramatic styling of the 30's and bring it into modern times. The body styling for the new Escalade looks great. Hints of Cadillac splash here and there, but there's no overwhelming "LOOK AT ME I'M IN A CADILLAC" bling anymore. Ok, maybe the tail lights. But they somehow made it work. They look pretty cool to me. Even the interior is amazing... And I'm no fan of luxo-barge SUVs that will never see anything worse than a rain puddle. But if I had the money to burn, I'd go puddle-splashing in the new Escalade.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Devyl posted:

I'm no fan of luxo-barge SUVs that will never see anything worse than a rain puddle. But if I had the money to burn, I'd go puddle-splashing in the new Escalade.

But that's the whole point of those vehicles. Just look at the front bumper and those wheels - completely unsuitable for anything but onroad use.

If you actually want to go offroad in a hilariously large and expensive vehicle then there is always the LandCruiser and Discovery to choose from.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Throatwarbler posted:

Seven years is a long time. It represents a year of a dog's life and is long enough to cover high school and most of college for the average human.

Seven years represent a year of a dog's life? Who the gently caress wrote this copy, a Taiwanese motherboard manufacturer?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't actually "like" either of these, but I like the Navigator better/dislike it less.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's still got that mahoosive dump truck column shifter, I see.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

Overall it's pretty good. I think it looks better than the Escalade, and having both more interior room with IRS and a better tow rating is good work.

That rear end is a criminal. No way its better than an Escalade.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I'd like one of these please (VW GTD). Unfortunately they will never come across the pond.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

That rear end is a criminal. No way its better than an Escalade.

The dinky single exhaust could have been integrated a bit better, or replaced with something a bit more aggressive looking.

I'm more concerned with the lack of luxury features. Everything the MKT has should be on the Navigator too. That means cooled 2nd row seats, auto parallel park, panoramic sunroof, etc. Other than that, At ~$10k cheaper than the Escalade, with more towing, more cargo space and IRS, I like it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's a lot less hideous than the MKT as the very least, which I'm pretty sure took it's design inspiration from a hearse.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The original Navigator was quite popular back in the late 90's/early 2000's - since it was much more progressive than it's GM counterparts and you would see them in the ever important Rap Video segment......but once the 2002 Escalade came out the Navigator hasn't really done anything. I would say the same thing about all the Ford vs GM large SUV's post 2000...the Tahoe/GMC/Caddys have been "Better Looking" for going on 13+ years.

For some reason I still like the 2013+ GM exterior styling better than Fords as well.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
that lincoln looks like it should have been released last generation. Usually Ford is the one releasing future looking stuff but in this case it looks like they started work 5 years ago and never looked up.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Now that Marchionne has finished the acquisition of Chrysler, I wonder if we'll see a modern Grand Wagoneer added to the mix. He's talked about the drat thing as much as the second coming of Alfa Romeo. Hopefully, it doesn't look like a grumpy old man or a giant gillette razor.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xguard86 posted:

that lincoln looks like it should have been released last generation.

It really should have. Outside of the front, it doesn't look anything different than what was out a few years ago. There's only so much you can do with a box on wheels, but the Caddy design looks newer instead of like a minor facelift on the old platform.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Cadillac's Art & Science design language could easily work for architecture, so it's not too surprising that its execution on the new Escalade turned out so well. That being said, the Navigator really feels like a warmed over effort in comparison, which is going to throw more fuel on the fire of those predicting Lincoln's doom. I don't understand why Ford seems to be struggling with the modernization of the marque.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
What is the quality of VW cars manufactured in Mexico? When the GTI goes on sale later this year, what is the expectation that it will be a 'good car', or is there some dropoff compared to the quality of the Euro manufactured car?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I don't know that there's any concrete evidence to say that they are built any better or worse.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tijag posted:

What is the quality of VW cars manufactured in Mexico? When the GTI goes on sale later this year, what is the expectation that it will be a 'good car', or is there some dropoff compared to the quality of the Euro manufactured car?

When I looked a few years ago (at TrueDelta and Consumer Reports), a VW hecho en Mexico was on par or better than one from Germany.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

When I looked a few years ago (at TrueDelta and Consumer Reports), a VW hecho en Mexico was on par or better than one from Germany.

I think the leading cause of the misconception about Mexican made VW's being poo poo is things like the new Jetta getting cheapened out. The car being even more of a rattle trap with a cheap rear end interior had nothing to do with the place of manufacture.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

tijag posted:

I sat in a Jetta made in Mexico for Europe, at the dealership, and the finish was rubbish. Glue leaks on some trim panels, shoddy assembly. A world of difference with the outgoing model which I owned previously.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

With the truck chat we were having a few pages ago I went window shopping for trucks on a whim. For the people who complain about others who buy pick-ups and never use them for pick-up stuff, and I've been one of them, you get a lot of drat vehicle for the money when it comes to pick-ups. Four doors, rear wheel drive, v6 and a bunch of "trunk" space for $20-24k make trucks hard to compete with. Plus with the long travel suspension you can drive on lovely, pot holed roads and not give a drat.

With all that said WTF is up with Tacoma pricing? People want 23k for a 2009! Or $27000 for a 2013. Plus Toyota hasn't updated these things in almost 10 years. The best engine you can get is a 4.0 liter v6 that puts out 236 hp. They still have 4 and 5 speed autos. How are these things still selling and commanding this much money?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
TOYOTAS ARE RELIABLE AND LAST FOREVER :smuggo:

The Toyota and Honda reputation markup is across the board for used vehicles whether it's true or not for that specific model.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 23, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

With all that said WTF is up with Tacoma pricing? People want 23k for a 2009! Or $27000 for a 2013. Plus Toyota hasn't updated these things in almost 10 years. The best engine you can get is a 4.0 liter v6 that puts out 236 hp. They still have 4 and 5 speed autos. How are these things still selling and commanding this much money?

The Colorado / Canyon never caught on big and have been off the market for a while (though they are coming back). The Frontier is in the same overpriced-and-ancient boat as the Tacoma, and both are still vastly more modern than the Ranger that left us after 2011... which while not overpriced, was even more ancient than either since it hadn't received a real update since 1998.

The small truck market is a wasteland but people still buy the Tacoma because IT'S A TOYOTA which is probably all that makes it the slightly better of the only two godawful options.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

fknlo posted:

It really should have. Outside of the front, it doesn't look anything different than what was out a few years ago. There's only so much you can do with a box on wheels, but the Caddy design looks newer instead of like a minor facelift on the old platform.

Well, to be fair this is a placeholder refresh/update of the old truck while we wait for the all new one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think the new navigator looks like the old navigator with a hideous front end tacked on, but the new escalade is nearly seventy two thousand dollars. http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/23/2015-cadillac-escalade-on-sale-in-april-priced-at-71-695/

Unless lincoln goes completely nuts with the pricing, it is at a huge advantage in that department.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ya but what's my payment? 23 percent but I can drive it home today AND free mud flaps? poo poo lets do this thing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I think the leading cause of the misconception about Mexican made VW's being poo poo is things like the new Jetta getting cheapened out. The car being even more of a rattle trap with a cheap rear end interior had nothing to do with the place of manufacture.

Yeah, VW cutting costs because they want to go HAM in the huge but low margin car market of North America, German-built VWs being a little less prevalent in the US, designed-in typical VW reliability, and a bit of racism too.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
None of that stuff matters. VW's problem is that they have an uncompetitive compact SUV, no competitive midsize FWD SUV and no half ton body on frame pickup. Those are basically the only vehicles Americans actually buy that are actually profitable. Without those products they are basically playing in the same league as a pre-2009 Mazda.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/22/us-vw-usa-labour-idUSBREA0L15O20140122

quote:

(Reuters) - Volkswagen's (VOWG_p.DE) top labor representative has dubbed the carmaker's U.S. operations a "disaster" and called for more models and swift decisions to revive the German group's declining fortunes in the world's second-largest auto market.

While VW has risen to become the biggest automaker in China and Europe, the group has yet to fully understood how to succeed in the United States, Bernd Osterloh, VW's works council chief, told reporters in Wolfsburg on Wednesday.

"The U.S. are a case of disaster" for VW, said Osterloh, who also sits on the carmaker's supervisory board.

The German multi-brand group last month ousted U.S. divisional chief Jonathan Browning, who oversaw the much-lauded 2011 launch of the midsize Passat, sales of which declined 6.3 percent last year after a 2011/12 surge.

Osterloh echoed criticism from the company's new head of U.S. operations, Michael Horn, who this month said that VW headquarters had paid little heed to the dynamics of the U.S. market.

VW's situation in the United States, where the company has been grappling with losses for years, won't improve until 2016 and it needs more models there, including a pick-up truck, Osterloh said.

At the Detroit auto show in January VW announced plans to make a sport utility vehicle (SUV) for North America as part of a $7 billion investment in the region.

Osterloh lamented that a year after the "CrossBlue" SUV was unveiled, it's still unclear where the model will be built. The carmaker favors its U.S. plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee, over a factory in Puebla, Mexico, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters.

VW's labor leader said that Chattanooga would make sense from an economic viewpoint if the company could offset the higher personnel costs compared with Puebla.

Separately, Osterloh said that the carmaker would be able to cope with changes to top management at any time. Five of the nine executives, including CEO Martin Winterkorn, are older than 60.

"I believe we can react quickly if we're in need of (personnel) changes," Osterloh said.

Speculation about a potential lack of a younger generation of leaders at VW flared up last September when the carmaker denied a report claiming that 76-year-old chairman Ferdinand Piech would soon step down for health reasons and be replaced by 66-year-old Winterkorn.

Osterloh said he is counting on both Piech and Winterkorn to serve through at least until 2018, the year VW has pledged to overtake Toyota (7203.T) and General Motors (GM.N) as the world's biggest carmaker by volume.

"I would be one of the first who would find out if one of those two wants to go," said Osterloh, a member of the board's influential steering committee.

(Reporting by Andreas Cremer and Jan Schwartz; Editing by Mark Potter and David Goodman)

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-at-least-2018/

quote:

Speaking at a press conference in Wolfsburg, Bernd Osterloh, head of Volkswagen’s works council and the VW autoworkers union’s representative on the automaker’s supervisory board, criticized the performance of the company’s operations in North America but said that the company’s two top executives, Volkswagen Group Chairman Ferdinand Piech and CEO Martin Winterkorn, will keep their positions until at least 2016.

The union representative said that the main Volkswagen brand has had a “catastrophic” performance in the U.S. market, where it was one of the few car brands to sell fewer vehicles in 2013 than in 2012. “The U.S. are a case of disaster” for VW, said Osterloh. Increasing sales in the U.S. is a critical component of Piech and Winterkorn’s stated goal of becoming the world’s largest automaker, surpassing General Motors Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. in global sales by 2018.

Osterloh criticized VW aging model lineup in North America, saying product life cycles in the U.S. “have been miscalculated,” and that the German carmaker also underestimated price competition. He said, “We won’t have a better situation in the U.S. before 2016 or 2017,” when VW introduces an all new midsize SUV to that market, likely to be assembled in either Chattanooga, Tennessee or Puebla, Mexico. VW had announced at the Detroit auto show that it would be investing $7 billion in its North American operations. Osterloh criticized the time it was taking to decide on where to build the SUV, based on the CrossBlue concept that was introduced a year ago. He also said that VW needs a pickup truck for the U.S. market.

When asked about a potential vote at the Tennessee plant by the United Auto Workers union on a proposal to set up a German style works council, Osterloh said that was unrelated to the decision on locating the SUV’s production.

Regarding changes in VW’s top management, “I’d be one of the first people to know if the situation changes,” said Osterloh. Piech “had no plan to resign” last year, contrary to published reports at the time, Osterloh insisted. Winterkorn’s current 5 year contract expires in 2016 and Osterloh said that there is no lack of internal candidates capable of succeeding Winger

Winterkorn, 66, has a five-year contract with VW that expires in 2016. Piech, 76, is in his third term as board chairman after retiring as CEO in 2002. Piech’s wife, Ursula, was given a seat on the board in 2012. Osterloh said there are plenty of qualified internal candidates to succeed Winterkorn when that time comes.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 24, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

None of that stuff matters. VW's problem is that they have an uncompetitive compact SUV, no competitive midsize FWD SUV and no half ton body on frame pickup.

Even if VW was to make a BOF pickup (or bring us Amarok), I think it would take a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time for consumer truck buyers to warm up to the brand. Merica.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

blk posted:

Even if VW was to make a BOF pickup (or bring us Amarok), I think it would take a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time for consumer truck buyers to warm up to the brand. Merica.

A VW pickup would be so weird if it isn't a small thing like the Caddy, but I can't imagine a brand new small pickup would even be sellable.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tekne posted:

Now that Marchionne has finished the acquisition of Chrysler, I wonder if we'll see a modern Grand Wagoneer added to the mix. He's talked about the drat thing as much as the second coming of Alfa Romeo. Hopefully, it doesn't look like a grumpy old man or a giant gillette razor.

Well the GW is just going to be a Jeep Durango no?

Let Jeep have the Mercedes based unibody stuff. What Chrysler should do going forward is to redu the Durango and resurrect the Aspen nameplate for full size SUVs based on the Ram frame, without any off-road pretensions. The new Durango could have the 3.0l diesel as the base engine and the 5.7l as the upmarket engine, both with the 8 speed and 2 speed transfer case. The Aspen could have the 6.4l as standard, with air suspension and big rims and full time AWD. The Ram already has coil springs in the back. Maybe throw in a supercharged 6.4l for the SRT model too.

Marchionne's press release doesn't bode well for any future body on frame supercharged V8 Escalade fighters though.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=7804697

quote:

Italy's Fiat is the new owner of the bulk of Chrysler's assets, closing a deal Wednesday that saves the troubled U.S. automaker from liquidation and places a new company in the hands of Fiat's CEO.

The deal clears the way for a new, leaner Chrysler Group to emerge from bankruptcy protection minus billions in debt, 789 underperforming dealerships and burdensome labor costs that nearly sank the storied automaker.

Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne immediately was named CEO of the company, which said in a statement that it would soon reopen Chrysler factories that were idled during the bankruptcy process, costing the automaker $100 million per day.

The company will focus on smaller vehicles, areas in which Chrysler was weak.

"Work is already underway on developing new environmentally friendly, fuel-efficient, high-quality vehicles that we intend to become Chrysler's hallmark going forward," the company said in a statement.

The Italian automaker won't put any money into the deal but will give Chrysler billions worth of small car and engine technology.

"We intend to build on Chrysler's culture of innovation and Fiat's complementary technology and expertise to expand Chrysler's product portfolio both in North America and overseas," Marchionne said in a statement.

The sale to Fiat marks a victory for the Obama administration, which shepherded Chrysler into Chapter 11 protection on April 30 with the hope that the company would emerge in a matter of months with a new partner.

Marchionne immediately made management changes, including the appointment of Vice Chairman and President Jim Press as deputy CEO and adviser to help with the management transition.

Press, formerly Toyota's top U.S. executive, joined Chrysler shortly after it was taken over in 2007 by private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management.

In a statement, Marchionne said the organization will be designed to give leaders broad control and increase the speed of decision making.

Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli bid employees farewell in an e-mail obtained by the Associated Press, while Vice Chairman Tom LaSorda already has retired.

Marchionne, in an e-mail to Chrysler employees Wednesday, expressed confidence that Fiat will be able to turn Chrysler around.

He wrote that he stepped into a similar situation five years ago at Fiat, which at the time was perceived as a failing, bureaucratic automaker that made low-quality cars. Yet most of the people capable of remaking Fiat were there all the time, he wrote.

"We have remade Fiat into a profitable company that produces some of the most popular, reliable and environmentally friendly cars in the world," he wrote. "We created a far more efficient company while investing heavily in our technologies and platforms. And, importantly, we created a culture where everyone is expected to lead. We can and will accomplish the same results here."

On Tuesday, Chrysler won its battle to erase its secured debt after the Supreme Court declined to rule on objections to the sale to Fiat from Indiana pension and construction funds. The Indiana funds, which hold less than 1% of Chrysler's $6.9 billion in secured debt, said the sale unfairly favors Chrysler's unsecured stakeholders such as the union ahead of secured debtholders like themselves.

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg decided Monday to delay the sale while studying the appeals. But on Tuesday, the court turned down the opponents' last-ditch bid by declining a hearing on the appeals.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So VW doesn't sell the Tiguan or Amarok in the US?