Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Finished another Steel Legion squad!

Only 34 left; so close I can loving smell it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

"It's been a while, but I should get out my paint-gently caress."

All my hex GW pots are basically solidified. :/

Welp, there's money in the toilet.

Edit: okay, maybe just 5-10.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 23, 2014

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Deviant posted:

GW paint pots are wonderful examples of planned obsolescence.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

GW paint pots are wonderful examples of planned obsolescence.

The victims:
Scorched Brown
Skull White
Chaos Black
Mithril Silver
Boltgun Metal x2
Gore Red
Midnight Blue
Burnished Gold

Tallarn Flesh
Mordian Blue
(weird because these two are in the foundation pots with white tops)

And a few misc ones are in 'maybe' status, like two pods of 'Ardcoat.0

I'll be buying VMC in the future, I think.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Got a bunch done today on Njal today, basically I just need to finish few details and I'm done!

My only concern is that the leather part of the wolf cloak is too red even though I mixed quite a bit of brown into the paint. Should I give it a wash in agrax earthshade to tone it down?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I want to kickstarter this stupid thing cause I never have enough Plastic card to build this thing to the scale I want.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Deviant posted:

The reaper bottles I have are 6+ years old and going strong while any GW pots I have are half as old and either all dried out or almost there. I love the GW metallics but I don't go through them fast enough to warrant it anymore.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Good Christ, is that a preview in the background? And you should be buying plastic FOR SALE signs at the hardware store, it's the cheapest source of plasticard.

Monahk
May 11, 2004
Pronounced Monahk
There is a plastic wholesaler in town here where I can get 4'x8' sheets of styrene. They range in price last time I got some from $24 for .020 to $30ish for .060. I would think you can find similar prices in most towns? They didn't stock a lot, I just asked what they could order in for me. I am in Ontario, Canada, so US prices may be even cheaper.

Probably not helpful to most, but for anyone in or near london ontario this might be useful. http://www.parkerplastics.ca/

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fearless posted:

Plastic glue will melt right through most paints and the plastic underneath to make its bond. I do it all the time too.

:aaaaa: What the crap. I never knew that would work. I either mask or scrape paint off before gluing. I'm ... Not sure why ... I ... I think I may have slipped into an alternate universe or something.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

nesbit37 posted:

The reaper bottles I have are 6+ years old and going strong while any GW pots I have are half as old and either all dried out or almost there. I love the GW metallics but I don't go through them fast enough to warrant it anymore.

Of course, I also have 2 pots of the OLD citadel paint, with the plastic P3-style flip top lid, which are probably 15 years old, and they are still fine.

Deviant posted:

The victims:
Scorched Brown
Skull White
Chaos Black
Mithril Silver
Boltgun Metal x2
Gore Red
Midnight Blue
Burnished Gold

Tallarn Flesh
Mordian Blue

Do you varnish your models? If not, don't buy VMC. It's quite fragile and rubs off easily since it was made for non-gaming models. If you already varnish them them no biggie, it's great paint otherwise.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey I painted my first mini in like 2 years:

http://imgur.com/a/So0M3

Here are all my BT so far:

Edit: the Champion I painted in 2008, the Assault Squad were painted in 2011, and just did the Chaplain the other day. So my Crusader Squad should be done by early 2017 - keep watching this thread!

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 23, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Deviant posted:

The victims:
Scorched Brown
Skull White
Chaos Black
Mithril Silver
Boltgun Metal x2
Gore Red
Midnight Blue
Burnished Gold

Tallarn Flesh
Mordian Blue

I think they changed all the names on those paints, too. :downs:

But seriously, what are the best paints out there now? How are the P3 paints? I always loved Citadel Colour but it is a) expensive, b) confusing, and c) prone to drying out. Mostly the (a) is why I haven't already replaced it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Depends on what you do, I think. I like Reaper paints, personally, but that's largely because I'm so used to working with them. I've even transferred paints from other companies into dropper bottles, because it's how I've become accustomed to mixing colors. I know a guy who swears by Coat D'arms, which is the company that makes the old Citadel paints (they kept the formulas when Citadel took their paint manufacturing elsewhere). Some people have a lot of good to say about Vallejo model color, particularly the metallics (though I haven't heard much good about their game color line). Most of what I hear about Army Painter is about their primers and their quickshades, less about their regular paints. I haven't heard a lot about P3.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

moths posted:

Good Christ, is that a preview in the background? And you should be buying plastic FOR SALE signs at the hardware store, it's the cheapest source of plasticard.

When I figured out the 28mm to in universe height it came out ot be like 6 foot 6 inches tall. Figured if I was going to make one it had to be done right the first time, just stupid loving tall. Grimdark as gently caress. What I really want to do is play a game where people have to land like stormravens and poo poo on it and take control. The Cathedral im building is big enough to have like a Kill team game on

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Just finished my Herald of Tzeentch on Disc for my Chaos Daemons army. Ended up going with less gold overall because working with Vallejo Liquid Gold was a pain today and I didn't want to deal with doing all his armor plus I accidentally created the Silver on Blue armor and I think it looks better than my original plan. Pretty enjoyable to paint overall considering I painted the Disc last night and everything else today; took about 12 hours all together.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Sisko posted:

Got a bunch done today on Njal today, basically I just need to finish few details and I'm done!

My only concern is that the leather part of the wolf cloak is too red even though I mixed quite a bit of brown into the paint. Should I give it a wash in agrax earthshade to tone it down?

That's looking good, you've come pretty far pretty fast. As far as the red, I don't think it looks that bad, but it's also probably as close to a truism as anything that a dose of earthshade (or equivalent) never hurts. :getin:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Apollodorus posted:

Hey I painted my first mini in like 2 years:

http://imgur.com/a/So0M3

Here are all my BT so far:

Edit: the Champion I painted in 2008, the Assault Squad were painted in 2011, and just did the Chaplain the other day. So my Crusader Squad should be done by early 2017 - keep watching this thread!

Don't stop now! They're looking sharp, man.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Of course, I also have 2 pots of the OLD citadel paint, with the plastic P3-style flip top lid, which are probably 15 years old, and they are still fine.

Do you varnish your models? If not, don't buy VMC. It's quite fragile and rubs off easily since it was made for non-gaming models. If you already varnish them them no biggie, it's great paint otherwise.

I dullcote my stuff once I'm done with it, is that what you mean?>

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I put together a little video of some of the preparation of Kaladrax. Mostly practicing with my new pretty camera, but it goes with my last blog post. It has no sound because it gets very tedious having OMG YOUR A LADY whenever I voice anything nerdy.

Does have the back of my head in some of it though :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTHx137l4FQ&feature=youtu.be

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

^^^ that is surprisingly relaxing to watch

Throb Robinson posted:

When I figured out the 28mm to in universe height it came out ot be like 6 foot 6 inches tall. Figured if I was going to make one it had to be done right the first time, just stupid loving tall. Grimdark as gently caress. What I really want to do is play a game where people have to land like stormravens and poo poo on it and take control. The Cathedral im building is big enough to have like a Kill team game on

That's my height. Guess I don't have to buy any titans from Forge World now.

Holy poo poo why are you building a model that tall you're insane. Never stop.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Throb Robinson posted:

You will have to have organize a game on what you're building now, with a separate group playing the Apocalypse battle the Titan is taking part in...and the army fighting the Titan has the ability to fire on the units on top of the Titan.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Throb Robinson posted:

Make it wearable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
How do you guys manage to be so productive on models?

I've still go to correct the washing I did on 12 fire warriors, and then finish the highlighting. On top of that I just started assembling my Fire Warrior Carbine squad, and pretty much just got through 4 models last night.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

In my case it's Podcasts in the background, and a sense of urgency in that you really need to finish those models so you can actually start playing in the friendly tournament you're supposedly participating in because you really wanna play with painted models. Thanks a lot of that one Ghost Hand :mad:.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

It's an arcane technique few people can master, known as "move your rear end and get painting" :v:

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

Make it wearable.

I would if the cathedral wasn't like half the hight of the thing. It's my dream to get up on the table myself and end up in small claims court as I walk across the field kicking expensive models. Time for a Kaiju big battle.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Iron Crowned posted:

Podcasts, batch painting, and time limits. I usually do 1-2 hours a night, or, more accurately, 1-2 This American Life podcasts a night. Or half of an IC podcast.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Still hoping to find out if this is any good: http://www.michaels.com/Liquitex%C2%AE-Spray-Paint-Titanium-White/fa1683,default,pd.html or if I should just stick with Duplicolor White Auto Primer. Anyone know?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dr. Lenin posted:

Still hoping to find out if this is any good: http://www.michaels.com/Liquitex%C2%AE-Spray-Paint-Titanium-White/fa1683,default,pd.html or if I should just stick with Duplicolor White Auto Primer. Anyone know?

The stuff you linked isn't primer but I can say that Liquitex Professional Spray Paint is well worth the cost (with your 40% off coupon) if for no other reason than to help you avoid suicidal thoughts when basing miniatures in Yellow or Red. White can be achieved with white primers, but the Liquitex white will probably look even better; I'd say go for it, but do prime first.

I used it to paint an orc blood bowl team with yellow uniforms and it makes the whole process so goddamn easy, if felt like cheating.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

If you want to be good and fast, you have to start out just being fast. Give yourself a short period of time to do a small group of models, think about what you could do faster, do another batch. Don't stop to fix things that you mispaint, particularly if they're likely to get covered up in the washing phase. Get used to blocking out your colors, washing the whole thing, doing specific area washes and then doing highlights. Eventually this fast painting will catch up in quality to your old normal painting.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'd say the opposite. Focus on getting good, then get fast. It's just a matter of finding the right balance of quality and speed you really want.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Indolent Bastard posted:

White can be achieved with white primers, but the Liquitex white will probably look even better; I'd say go for it, but do prime first.

Thanks for the info - almost forgot about the 40% coupon too. The duplicolor auto primer goes on pretty thin (not sure if it is just my can?) - I usually would put on two coats in order to get a solid white prime. Would one coat of primer followed by one coat of Liquitex white be good enough for a strong, unflaking basecoat?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dr. Lenin posted:

Thanks for the info - almost forgot about the 40% coupon too. The duplicolor auto primer goes on pretty thin (not sure if it is just my can?) - I usually would put on two coats in order to get a solid white prime. Would one coat of primer followed by one coat of Liquitex white be good enough for a strong, unflaking basecoat?

Absolutely, yes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Absolutely, yes.

I'm about to start painting ALEPH minis for infinity, I may do this, since they're very white/clean/cyberpunk

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Apollodorus posted:

I think they changed all the names on those paints, too. :downs:

But seriously, what are the best paints out there now? How are the P3 paints? I always loved Citadel Colour but it is a) expensive, b) confusing, and c) prone to drying out. Mostly the (a) is why I haven't already replaced it.

I'm partial to Reaper and P3, with a smattering of Vallejo and old Citadel, for some colors I haven't managed to find replacements for.

There isn't really a best, any of the main companies are good paint, it's all just minor pros and cons and personal preference.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm partial to Reaper and P3, with a smattering of Vallejo and old Citadel, for some colors I haven't managed to find replacements for.

Have you checked Coat D'arms? I was being quite literal about them making old Citadel paints. They were the company that Citadel contracted for paints until 1997, and they still own the rights to the formulas. The names are different, but here's a conversion chart.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I haven't tried CDA just because it's harder to find.

Specifically though, if they make Dheneb Stone, Charadon Granite, or the old Shadow Grey id find a way to get some.

Edit: haha they have colors called "Oriental" and "Negro"

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 23, 2014

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
They have Shadow Grey under the same name, but not Dheneb Stone or Charadon Granite, so far as I can tell. You can get their contact information off their website, and ask them directly if they make an equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Anyone have a recommendation for a palette, or a paint rack/station?

• Locked thread