Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Sailor Viy posted:

I think he kinda does know by that point in the film, since he says something like "Some people are worth melting for." But yeah, Olaf's situation is almost like an inversion of Elsa's.

One thing about that film that only clicked for me later was that Even if Anna had managed to find Christof and get him to kiss her, it wouldn't have thawed her heart. Because, as Christof told her earlier, you don't fall in True Love with someone after knowing them for only one day. The only thing that could save her was sisterly love.

Speaking of Frozen, there's a lot of foreshadowing for the biggest spoiler. Hans messes up the 'You and I are just meant to be!' verse in 'Love is an Open Door' as well as a bunch of romantic flubs like failing to pick up Anna or how he's been searching for his own place rather than someone. When Anna leaves to pursue Elsa, it's not the fact that she's her sister that makes him relent, it's being made Regent while Anna is away. You can also also see his eyes flicker to the chandelier in Elsa's castle for maybe two frames before he stops the guy from shooting at her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HaB posted:

This is absolutely glorious. Even got James Hong as a cameo. Perfect.

Is there a law somewhere that James Hong has to be in every single movie with a Chinese theme?

IMDB 385 credits as an actor!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

spog posted:

Is there a law somewhere that James Hong has to be in every single movie with a Chinese theme?

IMDB 385 credits as an actor!

He's got more than Christopher Lee so yes, yes he does. I love his voice though so anything he's in is automatically improved even if its something incredibly dumb like Sleeping Dogs.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hellboy 2. Liz contemplates starting a family with Hellboy.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Barudak posted:

He's got more than Christopher Lee so yes, yes he does. I love his voice though so anything he's in is automatically improved even if its something incredibly dumb like Sleeping Dogs.

Or Diablo 3

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

I saw the movie twice yesterday (my daughter likes repetition). He sticks the needle of love in Miao Yin's arm and then he bleeds from the same spot. His fingers aren't bleeding--he reached inside his robe to touch the part of his arm that mirrored where he'd stabbed Miao Yin, and he drew back bloody fingers.

He actually got a little TOO enthusiastic about that part and really jammed the needle into Miao Yin's arm. That look of pain is real.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

I saw the movie twice yesterday (my daughter likes repetition). He sticks the needle of love in Miao Yin's arm and then he bleeds from the same spot. His fingers aren't bleeding--he reached inside his robe to touch the part of his arm that mirrored where he'd stabbed Miao Yin, and he drew back bloody fingers.

Yeah, that's what I meant by it shows they were 'bound'. I should have specified. He's happy at the blood because all his Chinese black magic shenanigans are working.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
So I started watching through Deadwood again. In the first episode when the the young european girl gets saved by Wild Bill, Bullock, and others, near the end of the episode Jane and Wild Bill are both with the little girl in their hotel room and they're singing row row row your boat to her. Then in the 6th episode she speaks for the what I think is the first time by singing row row row your boat.

Scorchdog
Mar 4, 2013

Im That One Guy posted:

So I started watching through Deadwood again. In the first episode when the the young european girl gets saved by Wild Bill, Bullock, and others, near the end of the episode Jane and Wild Bill are both with the little girl in their hotel room and they're singing row row row your boat to her. Then in the 6th episode she speaks for the what I think is the first time by singing row row row your boat.

Deadwood is one of my absolute favourite shows and I'm in the middle of a re-watch at the moment. In the episode where Wild Bill gets shot there's this brief moment of hesitation before he takes the seat with his back facing the entrance which is just so subtle and spectacularly acted. Over the course of half a second the character goes from being alert and wary of his surroundings to relaxed and, in my opinion, almost prepared for and accepting of the shot that kills him

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thirding the love for Deadwood. The detail and flair that most of the actors portray their characters with is amazing. Al Swearengen is probably one of my favorite characters ever, Ian McShane was an absolutely inspired choice for that role. He manages to play an aggressive and threatening mastermind with such amazing subtlety.

Those that doubt me, suck cock by choice. *Rides away on penny-farthing*

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The only thing I didn't like about Deadwood was how Al killed that young prostitute that the young guy was falling for in place of Trixey or whatever the annoying prostitute's name was. Her character annoyed the Hell out of me, and they had a chance to kill her off!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Professor Shark posted:

The only thing I didn't like about Deadwood was how Al killed that young prostitute that the young guy was falling for in place of Trixey or whatever the annoying prostitute's name was. Her character annoyed the Hell out of me, and they had a chance to kill her off!

Al had a major soft spot for Trixie, but Hearst wanted her dead. Jen was killed instead of Trixie because she resembled her.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Deadwood is one of my top 3 shows of all time even though I think its got some problems especially in the third season but the casting is just fantastic and I love the wardrobe and music.

Plus I always like to imagine Seth Bullock time traveled somehow and assumed the name of Raylan Givens and continued his law career.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

oldpainless posted:

Plus I always like to imagine Seth Bullock time traveled somehow and assumed the name of Raylan Givens and continued his law career.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with that idea :)

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

oldpainless posted:

Thirding this. Whenever I'm trying to get people into Justified I pitch it as the spiritual successor to Deadwood. Also it helps that about half the Deadwood cast has made appearances at some point or another.

Now all we need is McShane as the big bad in the sixth and final season, and the Earth will have served its purpose!

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I just rewatched the original Predator (is there even a reason to spoiler this one?) and noticed something that was kind of neat. when the Predator is dying under the log trap and Arnold says "What the hell are you?" the Predator repeats it like it does every time it hears someone say something. It doesn't really mean anything as far as communication goes, but considering the context, it could be taken as "I'm something that hunts men like you hunt animals. I'm far superior to you both technologically and physically, and you still managed to kill me. What the hell are you? If that makes any sense. It's barely anything at all and yet it seemed really clever.

Reaching too far?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Nastyman posted:

I just rewatched the original Predator (is there even a reason to spoiler this one?) and noticed something that was kind of neat. when the Predator is dying under the log trap and Arnold says "What the hell are you?" the Predator repeats it like it does every time it hears someone say something. It doesn't really mean anything as far as communication goes, but considering the context, it could be taken as "I'm something that hunts men like you hunt animals. I'm far superior to you both technologically and physically, and you still managed to kill me. What the hell are you? If that makes any sense. It's barely anything at all and yet it seemed really clever.

Reaching too far?

Well maybe not, but I did imagine you taking a giant rip from that skull bong after I read it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

snortpocket posted:

Now all we need is McShane as the big bad in the sixth and final season, and the Earth will have served its purpose!

Walton Goggins is amazing as Boyd Crowder, but adding Ian McShane to the cast would be an act of inspired genius.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Ian McShane was an absolutely inspired choice for that role. He manages to play an aggressive and threatening mastermind with such amazing subtlety.
You should watch Sexy Beast!

Anyone should, really.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pyrotoad posted:

Speaking of Frozen, there's a lot of foreshadowing for the biggest spoiler. Hans messes up the 'You and I are just meant to be!' verse in 'Love is an Open Door' as well as a bunch of romantic flubs like failing to pick up Anna or how he's been searching for his own place rather than someone. When Anna leaves to pursue Elsa, it's not the fact that she's her sister that makes him relent, it's being made Regent while Anna is away. You can also also see his eyes flicker to the chandelier in Elsa's castle for maybe two frames before he stops the guy from shooting at her.

Something I noticed in "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" is that we see Anna being physical with her parents, hugging and the like. We see Elsa never once touch them; the only time she physically comes close to is when she is putting her new gloves on. After that, every time, even when they're leaving on that trip, she doesn't even hug them goodbye. After the deal with the trolls, Elsa doesn't just physically withdraw from her sister, but her parents too. In fact, I think the only time we actually see Elsa touching anyone after the start of the movie is when she is clinging to the frozen Anna, thinking she's killed her sister.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Nastyman posted:

Reaching too far?

Actually, I don't think it's that much of a stretch. The predator is quite intelligent and has been studying them for a while. Hell, the elder in Predator 2 had a pistol from, what, the 1800s? Probably collected that as a trophy personally. I'm sure it's picked up enough of the words and the nuance of spoken language that he could, conceivably, pull off a sarcastic wise crack. Like when he kills Mac, he plays back that sound clip from when the guy was threatening Dylan. I think it was so show how even an alien isn't all that alien. It understood the irony of the badass getting taken out by a bigger badass.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

You should watch Sexy Beast!

Anyone should, really.

I don't know about that... Kingsley and McShane did their best, but I thought the rest of Sexy Beast was undeserving of the praise. I'm beginning to think that British movies get an automatic +15% Rotten Tomato Review attribute just for being British.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Vicissitude posted:

I think it was so show how even an alien isn't all that alien. It understood the irony of the badass getting taken out by a bigger badass.

Not only badassery. The big twist in the third act of Predator is that Dutch accepts he is outmatched, and instead of trying to outshoot the Predator, he becomes the Predator. He finds ways to make himself invisible to it, stalks it through the jungle and and attacks it in a surprise ambush in which the Predator can only fire around blindly into the jungle, hoping to kill him. "What the hell are you" could just as easily be a sly answer to Dutch's question: he's the same thing that Dutch now is.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
In The Desolation of Smaug, when Legolas fights Bolg in Laketown he uses Orcrist, Thorin's sword. He took it from Thorin way back in Mirkwood with a comment about its origins.

Hope there'll be a dramatic handover in the third film.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Predator really is a pretty well-made and under appreciated sci-fi/horror film. Hell the first part could have been the start of a decent Rambo movie.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Wild T posted:

"What the hell are you" could just as easily be a sly answer to Dutch's question: he's the same thing that Dutch now is.

:monocle:

I swear that movie gets better every single time I watch it.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Predator really is a pretty well-made and under appreciated sci-fi/horror film. Hell the first part could have been the start of a decent Rambo movie.

Yeah basically this. On the surface it looks like your standard 80s brawny machismo action movie, but it's actually really well written. When I was watching it I couldn't stop thinking about how well designed the Predator is. It doesn't just show up with a bunch of random flashy tech and goes on a rampage because nobody can stop it, but instead uses the same techniques as any given hunter would in the real world, human or animal.

Okay so it's not exactly Shawshank Redemption, but it's definitely better than it tends to get credit for.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Nastyman posted:

When I was watching it I couldn't stop thinking about how well designed the Predator is.

Thank god they didn't go with the original design:

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I don't think it's surprising that Predator is so good. Predator shares a lot of plot similarities with Aliens. Bunch of bad-asses go on a mission, gets their rear end handed to them by an alien, get betrayed about the mission's purpose by their corporate ride-along (Dillon / Burke), add a sole female survivor to the team, the team and the arena is destroyed by the end, and only the protagonist and the sole survivor make it out. Also, miniguns.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Baron von Eevl posted:

Thank god they didn't go with the original design:

I'm assuming the bright orange is something similar to today's greenscreens and motion capture suits, where a costume or some sort of CGI would be in the final footage, I'm actually a little curious to see what that version was supposed to look like.

However, on the off chance someone actually thought a neon, bipedal english longhorn in a blast suit was going to make a great antagonist: :lol:

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Jan 23, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Nastyman posted:

I'm assuming the bright orange is something similar to today's greenscreens and motion capture suits, where a costume or some sort of CGI would be in the final footage, I'm actually a little curious to see what that version was supposed to look like.

However, on the off chance someone actually thought a neon, bipedal english longhorn was going to make a great antagonist: :lol:

They would have taken out the orange creature and put in the invisibility/cloaking effect instead.

However, they would have kept him the same shape. So we could have gotten a Godzilla character as a badguy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edit: Funny part of that gif is that it is Jean-Claude Van Damme in that costume.

Interesting subtle bit in the Hannibal TV series. Hannibal meets Jack Crawford's wife Bella for the first time and correctly guesses her perfume from smelling her. He then mentions that he first noticed his superior sense of smell was when he smelled that a teacher had stomach cancer before the teacher himself even knew. He then looks over at Bella for a second as he says this. Later in the episode you find out that she has cancer but had been hiding it from Jack.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Apr 2, 2014

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Zenigata posted:

No offense to you and I'm sure the show is great, but that is a profoundly stupid special ability. What is he, a specially-trained dog? How would he identify the smell as being cancer? It's not like you can just smell something you've never smelled before and know exactly what it is. Holy poo poo that's stupid.

E: I know in the movies he can smell really well, like that scene with the perfume and Clarice, but I thought that was meant to illustrate that he was a profoundly cultured and perceptive guy, not that he was a super person with dog abilities.

In the books Hannibal is written as an evil Sherlock Holmes with 4000000 cool unique features, like an extra finger and a "memory palace" the size of manhattan. I also think he reverses entropy in the second book.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

eightpole posted:

I also think he reverses entropy in the second book.

Gonna need some expansion on this one bud.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Apr 2, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He also has red eyes. I'd already seen Silence of the Lambs when I started reading the book and ignored all the bizarre stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Hannibal TV show also skips all that stuff, the only thing it keeps is the sense of smell.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles

No offense to you and I'm sure the show is great, but that is a profoundly stupid special ability. What is he, a specially-trained dog? How would he identify the smell as being cancer? It's not like you can just smell something you've never smelled before and know exactly what it is. Holy poo poo that's stupid.

E: I know in the movies he can smell really well, like that scene with the perfume and Clarice, but I thought that was meant to illustrate that he was a profoundly cultured and perceptive guy, not that he was a super person with dog abilities.

I think you're overlooking the fact that it is metal as gently caress for a bad guy to be able to smell cancer. Lecter is already pretty much the goddamn Devil, and it's not like being a bomb squad dog for tumors is going to have a big effect on the plot, so you gotta just chalk that up to atmosphere. It ties in with why he's a psychiatrist.

Subtle movie moment: In X-Men First Class, the first time we see an adult Magneto he's loving around with the coin Shaw gave him, and fires it into a sketch of the old Nazi's face. That's how he actually ends up killing him at the end of the movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jesus Christ, seriously? I'm glad Jonathan Demme left that poo poo out of Silence of the Lambs (as far as I can remember). I know his daughter sorta well (she's a few years younger than me but we overlapped in high school for a year or two) and I've been to their house a few times. Next time I'm there I'll shake his hand and thank him for not making the movie totally retarded.

We should all thank Ridley Scott for changing the Hannibal ending too. Starling and Lecter became lovers and ran off together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Wild T posted:

Not only badassery. The big twist in the third act of Predator is that Dutch accepts he is outmatched, and instead of trying to outshoot the Predator, he becomes the Predator. He finds ways to make himself invisible to it, stalks it through the jungle and and attacks it in a surprise ambush in which the Predator can only fire around blindly into the jungle, hoping to kill him. "What the hell are you" could just as easily be a sly answer to Dutch's question: he's the same thing that Dutch now is.

I like to think of the Predator as being an arrogant prick. When Dutch finally outwits him as a hunter he completely flies off the handle, which is what the mano-a-mano fight is about. He's not seeing Dutch as an equal and stripping his gear off to fight him with honor or whatever, it's basically just Bennett at the end of Commando losing his poo poo and tossing away his gun; "I don't need the girl... I DON'T NEED NO GUN! I'M GONNA KILL YOU NOW!"

And at the very end when he finds the spike trap he starts looking at it like, "Hm. Look at this. Who put this here? Isn't that loving interesting?" instead of finishing off a beaten Dutch because he's a sore winner and has to gloat, so Dutch has time to put a plan together and beats him. Then he sets off the wrist bomb because he's also a sore loser.

Basically my theory is that The Predator is my favorite cinematic rear end in a top hat.