Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Richard Bong posted:

Since when do hyosungs even cost that much new? 2400 for a beat to poo poo 8 year old one is... poor NZ.

Small bike prices are laughably inflated here, but from the description that's about a $1500 dollar bike at current values. For example, I never saw a roadworthy VTR250 for less than 2500. Yet big bikes depreciate like rocks; the only reason I bought a hyoshit 250 and not a built-up bandit 1200 was so gf could have something to learn on.

Sportbikes? Fuggedaboutit. Doesn't matter how raped it is, how astronomical the mileage is, how old it is, as long as it's got fairings and clip-ons it's worth 40-50% more than a normal bike of the same year/condition/brand. It's ridiculous.

Especially considering the state of riding talent in this country. On the way to work yesterday I raced a guy on a naked buell (on my Hyosung) and won. How the gently caress is that even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Especially considering the state of riding talent in this country. On the way to work yesterday I raced a guy on a naked buell (on my Hyosung) and won. How the gently caress is that even possible?

Engine says "Harley-Davidson" on the side.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm sure xb9's aren't that slow :)

He made the motions of trying to get away but seemed to be unable to lean the bike or use the throttle at all. Eventually he pulled over and waved me past.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

He probably saw a red bike in the mirrors and had heard stories about an rear end in a top hat rider doing crazy poo poo on one and just wanted to get out the way. Can you blame him for trying to be safe and not get a ticket for being associated with you?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I honestly now get a sense of paranoia when I dong-ride on the way to work; my thoughts spiral around the idea of one of the muppets from my neighbourhood seeing me on my commute.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Never dong it up within a mile of home or a mile of work.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Guinness posted:

Unless, of course, you're selling the bike. And you have a second set of hoon gear.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A mile of home? Correct. A mile of work? Well I work in a mostly-deserted industrial area, packed with roundabouts and extremely broad, smooth roads for all the trucks to turn around on :getin:

It's the only part of my commute that doesn't suck, and I'm not the only guy on a bike who thinks so based on what I've seen.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I used to volunteer as a police interpreter in Bangkok and caught a case where a tourist had opened the taxi door on the traffic side (wtf), which clotheslined a Thai guy splitting by. The Thai guy got up all hopped up on adrenaline, and since the cab doors were all locked (tourist had shut it back), took off his helmet and smashed it into the windshield of the cab. The tourist didn't think he was liable for anything since the Thai guy was "riding too close" and "not in his own lane" (:wtc:), Thai dude wanted him liable for the cab door, bike fairings + the windscreen, in the end we worked it out that the tourist paid for the door/bike, rider paid for the windshield. The tourist wasn't an rear end in a top hat but still politely insisted to the last that he shouldn't be liable. Pretty sure he wasn't American, FWIW.

People. :sigh:

That sounds like an insanely cool job. Best/worst moments?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Guinness posted:

Sorry, but there is a bridge within a mile of where I work. Bridges require standup wheelies.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Guinness posted:

I try hard to be super courteous in my neighborhood, but there's one car a couple blocks from my house that has a car alarm that goes off no matter how gently I ride by. Now all my neighbors give me dirty looks when I'm on the bike. It can't be too bad yet, though, because nobody's posted to the listserv about it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Sorry, but there is a bridge within a mile of where I work. Bridges require standup wheelies.

Yes, yes they do. Bridges and tunnels.

Koruthaiolos posted:

I try hard to be super courteous in my neighborhood, but there's one car a couple blocks from my house that has a car alarm that goes off no matter how gently I ride by. Now all my neighbors give me dirty looks when I'm on the bike. It can't be too bad yet, though, because nobody's posted to the listserv about it.

The listserv? What magical libertarian paradise do you live in?!?!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

If you don't have a neighborhood listerv you're not really living. Why, just yesterday someone saw a cat in the alley that might be a stray. I know I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know what listerv is but it sounds horrifying.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I don't know what listerv is but it sounds horrifying.

Your avatar just makes this post perfect.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Z3n posted:

The listserv? What magical libertarian paradise do you live in?!?!

Actually an ultra liberal hippy town. Regular topics include tnr vs calling animal control on the feral cat population, outing neighbors within minutes of snow falling for not shoveling their sidewalk, arguments about who should volunteer at the bike vs grocery co-ops, and complaining about the smallest nuisances possible.

Basically, where Slavvy's neighbors can call he police and cause him actual problems, the most mine can do is make passive aggressive comments online and give me mean looks.

e: Jesus, the fact that I automatically type tnr instead of trap neuter release tells me I should be reading the stupid thing much less.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I could do a burnout inside of my apartment and no one would even notice or complain. Y'all need get some cooler neighbors :dukedog:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

My neighbours actively encourage me to do hoon poo poo as I'm leaving :/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Guinness posted:

I dong it up FOR work. Actually had a customer tell us once that we needed to ride the pants off an R1 to look for a problem with it. And then another guy with an R6. I didn't really do it that much, for obvious reasons.

We did have someone say they'd called the cops on us once after we tested our race sidecar around a parking lot for 15 minutes after removing the exhaust baffles and retuning it. I didn't think it was THAT loud.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Futura forum has a thread from a guy who took his bike in for a minor issue and a shop tech totalled it on a test ride. I would suspect thrashing the poo poo out of a customer ride is a horrible idea unless you intimately know the bike history and the customer.

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I dong it up FOR work. Actually had a customer tell us once that we needed to ride the pants off an R1 to look for a problem with it. And then another guy with an R6. I didn't really do it that much, for obvious reasons.

We did have someone say they'd called the cops on us once after we tested our race sidecar around a parking lot for 15 minutes after removing the exhaust baffles and retuning it. I didn't think it was THAT loud.

I don't think it was the sound, more of a public safety issue with the welds.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

TheCoconutman posted:

:golfclap:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

TheCoconutman posted:

Who knows how far a piece of angle iron could fly if one failed...

spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar

hot sauce posted:

I'm pretty sure I could do a burnout inside of my apartment and no one would even notice or complain. Y'all need get some cooler neighbors :dukedog:

My garage is in one of those condo canyon dealies where it's garages on the ground level and bathroom\kitchen windows above the garage doors, all arranged in long rows on branch roads about two cars wide. I've only had my bike at home for a week and every morning when I'm idling it to warm it up I'm wondering if I have any snobby shits for neighbors and how long until they complain. But so far I've met one neighbor with a beard nearly as awesome as mine who rides choppers after graduating from sportbikes (I'm sure my day will come one day, too), and one who drives a subaru with no fewer than 5 VTEC stickers on it. I doubt I'm going to have problems with those two, at least. Plus it's 9:00AM when I'm warming up so it's not exactly an inhuman hour.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

spacemanspliff posted:

My garage is in one of those condo canyon dealies where it's garages on the ground level and bathroom\kitchen windows above the garage doors, all arranged in long rows on branch roads about two cars wide. I've only had my bike at home for a week and every morning when I'm idling it to warm it up I'm wondering if I have any snobby shits for neighbors and how long until they complain. But so far I've met one neighbor with a beard nearly as awesome as mine who rides choppers after graduating from sportbikes (I'm sure my day will come one day, too), and one who drives a subaru with no fewer than 5 VTEC stickers on it. I doubt I'm going to have problems with those two, at least. Plus it's 9:00AM when I'm warming up so it's not exactly an inhuman hour.

My neighbor made fun of my quiet stock muffler on my dyna. I was like really you WANT my bike to be louder??? Yeah my neighborhood is very much a wow your not a drug dealer? awesome you can do no wrong type of neighborhood.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've been waiting all day for my neighbor to leave so I can wheel the FZR out and start it up for the first time. My garage shares a wall with her apartment and I'm positive she won't appreciate that my can is a Yosh rather than some cheapo slip on.
I've got the gas tank bungeed up and the sync gauges all hooked up. Why won't you leave? You're never usually home on Saturdays :(

spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar

Bugdrvr posted:

I've been waiting all day for my neighbor to leave so I can wheel the FZR out and start it up for the first time. My garage shares a wall with her apartment and I'm positive she won't appreciate that my can is a Yosh rather than some cheapo slip on.
I've got the gas tank bungeed up and the sync gauges all hooked up. Why won't you leave? You're never usually home on Saturdays :(

Here's my bike, a mostly stock 2012 Ninja 650 (her name is Diva, if you think naming your bike is stupid or don't like my name then FUH-Q!). You win a prize if you spot my 1 modification. :]

http://imgur.com/AdlKXWk
http://imgur.com/hTq1n7I
http://imgur.com/FzDnNL5
http://imgur.com/DGajr0k
http://imgur.com/R7iP5Pm

But yeah since it's all boxed in like this, even with its stock decibel level it echoes like mad. The kid scooting around in the background belongs to my cool neighbor who has been riding bikes for a number of years, so far all of the neighbors I've encountered seem friendly to bikes. One of them alternates taking up his parking space with a Ferrari, a Hummer, and a trailer with 2 Jetskis on it, so he clearly likes to have fun as well :o

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

spacemanspliff posted:

(her name is Diva, if you think naming your bike is stupid or don't like my name then FUH-Q!).

Mine is named Ulysses. <- belongs in this thread

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The $COLOR bike. Much more than that is just creepy.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

The $COLOR bike. Much more than that is just creepy.

This is what I do except now I've got two white/red/black bikes. If someone asks me about which bike I'm fixing or riding or whatever I still reply "the white bike" and fully expect them to know which one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd stretch it to say "The blue Ninja" and "The blue WRX" or whatever you have.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"The Ninja"
"The Hyosung"
"The blue bike"

alternatively

"The black bike"
"The red bike"
"The turd"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I ride a Honzuki YXV-830.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yamasaki RX580SPR-RR.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A RED DIRTBIKE

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I just use the VIN.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Orange nerd bike here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

A RED DIRTBIKE

*wheelies over a footbridge*

There is a guy in my neighbourhood with a CBR250 that has all the fairings missing and a hollow can, he sounds like he's doing a million miles an hour just accelerating up to 50km/h. He rolled past when I was at the gas station this morning and you could see the wave of tut-tuts pass over everyone on the forecourt.

Also, my friend lives in a light industrial area in a two-storey apartment thing with his shop/garage on the lower floor and his living stuff on the top floor. Someone called the body corporate on him for riding his race bike around the parking lot.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Do you not have private property laws in NZ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The parking lot is shared by the other shops/apartments, it's a horseshoe of buildings with the parking lot in the middle. The complainant was one of the people renting a building nearby.

• Locked thread