Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

chumbler posted:

Edit: Oh, and I uploaded the boss score but didn't get any kind of message about that costume. Was I supposed to?

I didn't get anything out of it, either when I uploaded my score so who knows. Reading up on it, sites are just saying you need to upload it so there may not be any sort of blurb about unlocking it.

Edit:

Aurain posted:

The dub DLC is timed free, but if you don't need to access it through the store in game, just download it through the PS store and get the credit for it applied to your account.

I've no idea how that's going to work though so it's something to look out for.

Sorry, for which game is this? I'm slightly confused. I checked the store but didn't see anything.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's going to be for Lightning Returns when it comes out.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

Anyone know off-hand whether there are versions of FFXIII and FFXIII-2 with English text, but Japanese audio selectable? I sold my FFXIII back to the game store when it was new because the dub was ruining the entire experience for me beyond belief.

ilifinicus posted:

I guess there are versions with it subtitled in English and Chinese now, huh? Seems impossible to get though...

That's right, it has the Japanese audio and English subtitles. The reason why they couldn't have dual languages is because the FMV cutscenes are now lip-synced to the voice acting, unlike FFX where they used the same cutscenes for both versions and the actors had to try and mimic the Japanese lip movements.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I was sold the moment I figured out you could do crazy mishmashes of jobs and customize dressup colors on top of that. There's nothing quite like having your job loadout be red mage with a huge fuckoff lance and counterblow because why not, a dedicated shinkicker, and colorblind power ranger mage. Also wearing shades on each one of them.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

chumbler posted:

If I'm understanding the stagger system correctly, the type of skill you use to get it up doesn't matter outside of vulnerabilities, but the general idea is you want each of the three schema colors to be on high amplitude vibrations? That is to say, you can't just power your way to a stagger in one schema even assuming infinite ATB.

This isn't strictly about the game but I just wanted to point out that "you want each of the three schema colors to be on high amplitude vibrations" is now a thing that people will say.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fedule posted:

This isn't strictly about the game but I just wanted to point out that "you want each of the three schema colors to be on high amplitude vibrations" is now a thing that people will say.

:ughh:

Just when I was getting used to FFXIII's mumbo-jumbo, they make up a whole new set of confusing terms for the third game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Seems like CHAOS will be the new TIME PARADOX. Already tuning it out.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Fedule posted:

I don't think "high amplitude vibrations" is an actual thing from the game though, it's just kind of what the stagger gauge looks like.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I really enjoyed the FFXII-3 demo. I'm sure the story will be embarrassing for 80% of it, but I enjoyed the 2 prior games and I like how this game is an improvement over the systems of the previous 2.

FWIW though, FF9 and 12 were my favorite in the series though, so maybe I'm not your typical fan?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked the changes to the combat, just because pretty much the only constant that I like throughout the series is the fact that nearly every game is substantially different mechanically, but XIII-2 just felt like a worse implementation of the ideas of XIII, so it was pretty disappointing. The sheer amount of customizability seems overwhelming, but that's just the nature of demos. What I definitely do not like is the new battle UI. The new design is cramped, ugly and filled with so many random bars that its hard to keep tack of. On top of that, they removed pretty much the only bar that matters in these games. I was struggling to find any solid visual feedback on the Stagger stuff. Those little frequencies cues are kinda lame. One large, persisting problem is the continued inclusion of numbers for damage. They are completely nonsensical and have been since minute 1 of XIII, shame they haven't been removed, especially since they made the smart move to get rid of ratings for every battle and include them only on major fights. My only other concern is that health no longer refills after every battle. I liked that every encounter in the last two games (moreso XIII than XIII-2) was designed around like, maximum effort all the time, since you never had to worry about effects after a battle was done. It was neat and kinda unique and its a shame that now I'll probably have to just fill up on tons of healing items, resulting in essentially the same outcome but forcing the player into extra layers of navigation and button clicking. All in all, I'm gonna get it, but not until way later in the year when the game is around $20 and I can't be bothered to play Dark Souls II for a third time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Great Lakes Log posted:

My only other concern is that health no longer refills after every battle. I liked that every encounter in the last two games (moreso XIII than XIII-2) was designed around like, maximum effort all the time, since you never had to worry about effects after a battle was done. It was neat and kinda unique and its a shame that now I'll probably have to just fill up on tons of healing items, resulting in essentially the same outcome but forcing the player into extra layers of navigation and button clicking. All in all, I'm gonna get it, but not until way later in the year when the game is around $20 and I can't be bothered to play Dark Souls II for a third time.

Well, I don't think you can just fill up on healing items. The demo made clear that your inventory for items was limited, and at least in the demo you were restricted to 6 slots total for all your potions, remedies, phoenix downs, buffing potions, etc. So I think you pretty much need to learn to play well, because otherwise your health will become a real concern.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Great Lakes Log posted:

its a shame that now I'll probably have to just fill up on tons of healing items, resulting in essentially the same outcome but forcing the player into extra layers of navigation and button clicking.

At least in the demo you can only hold 6 healing items and that includes all possible items. So I don't think you can actually just do that. And since there is a time system that actually means if you run low you'll theoretically have to sacrifice time to heal.

I don't know how this plays out but it sounds like the closest Final Fantasy has come to meaningful resource management since the NES days so I'm a little hopeful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

At least in the demo you can only hold 6 healing items and that includes all possible items. So I don't think you can actually just do that. And since there is a time system that actually means if you run low you'll theoretically have to sacrifice time to heal.

I don't know how this plays out but it sounds like the closest Final Fantasy has come to meaningful resource management since the NES days so I'm a little hopeful.

I forgot about the limits, both inventory and time based. I wonder how restrictive the time will ultimately end up being? I remember when the idea was first announced it seemed like they were shooting for "short game with choices affecting immediate story developments", encouraging repeated plays, which is a neat idea. But later there was something about being able to like, get back time? Anyone have the details on that? It's a pretty intriguing aspect of the game that the demo barely touched on (except as the in-game timer, which was kinda funny).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Great Lakes Log posted:

I forgot about the limits, both inventory and time based. I wonder how restrictive the time will ultimately end up being? I remember when the idea was first announced it seemed like they were shooting for "short game with choices affecting immediate story developments", encouraging repeated plays, which is a neat idea. But later there was something about being able to like, get back time? Anyone have the details on that? It's a pretty intriguing aspect of the game that the demo barely touched on (except as the in-game timer, which was kinda funny).

I think you start off with 7 days left, and by completing sidequests you can get up to an additional 6 days added on. Time doesn't advance while you're in the menu, and apparently doesn't advance while you're in battles or talking to people either. Apparently you can also stop time for a while by using points you earn during battle, so if you're in an area with fights you can pretty much stop time indefinitely.

From what I've read, it seems to be possible to do everything in a single run if you're careful with time management or know what you're doing. I'm guessing first time players will not have time for every sidequest, though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I dunno what it is but I have absolutely 0 interest in even trying the demo for Lightning Returns. I liked FF13 when I first played it, and a friend let me borrow 13-2 and I played a bit and just never finished. I'm done with the entire 13 series unless this one turns out to be amazing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I dunno what it is but I have absolutely 0 interest in even trying the demo for Lightning Returns. I liked FF13 when I first played it, and a friend let me borrow 13-2 and I played a bit and just never finished. I'm done with the entire 13 series unless this one turns out to be amazing.

The only thing amazing about FF13 at this point is how dedicated one man can be to his imaginary waifu.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

I think you start off with 7 days left, and by completing sidequests you can get up to an additional 6 days added on. Time doesn't advance while you're in the menu, and apparently doesn't advance while you're in battles or talking to people either. Apparently you can also stop time for a while by using points you earn during battle, so if you're in an area with fights you can pretty much stop time indefinitely.

From what I've read, it seems to be possible to do everything in a single run if you're careful with time management or know what you're doing. I'm guessing first time players will not have time for every sidequest, though.

That's kinda interesting I suppose? I was initially hoping for something more extreme like, a run through of the game takes about 3 hours but there's way more content hidden around the world.

I guess I just want a more extreme Majora's Mask.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I got my hands on FFXIII with Japanese audio and Chinese/English subs. Very excited to get to play this without the horrid dubbing.

edit: Forgot to post one of the new oddities I found in FF6 for Android. The dancers in this scene got cut in half

ilifinicus fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jan 23, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I have bad news for you: there's some pretty bad Japanese dubbing in the XIII games too. The English voices are actually very true to the Japanese ones.

I'm not sure if Ill buy Lightning Returns as I couldn't bring myself to finish XIII-2 at all and Bravely Default is out a few weeks before. The demo combat was fun though except for the messy UI already mentioned.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I have even worse news for you: Vanille is even worse in Japanese than she is in English.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I demand proof of this tomfoolery!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

After hearing my fair share of shrieky and squealy female Japanese voice actors and knowing what kind of character Vanille, I don't think I can imagine how bad Japanese Vanille could truly be.

Especially considering that the English one isn't all that bad. She's not exactly the best VA who ever existed, but she works for the role.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 23, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ilifinicus posted:

I demand proof of this tomfoolery!

What makes you think the cutesy girl character is going to sound any better in Japanese when this has never been the case?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I have bad news for you: there's some pretty bad Japanese dubbing in the XIII games too. The English voices are actually very true to the Japanese ones.

I've played FFXIII in Japanese and in this case, no, that isn't true. They are not at all true to the Japanese ones. This is actually a pretty big problem that leads to people going "wow, Lightning is an emotionless ice queen" when her personality is literally the opposite. and it is specifically a plot point in FFXIII-3 that she's being emotionless which is unusual and strange for her. She's also voiced by Maaya Sakamoto who is actually a fairly good voice actress and does a good job with the role. (At least in FFXIII. I played the English version of XIII-2.)

Vanille's voice is still terrible in both languages mind but even then the English version threw in random Australian accents. I'd take the English voice though if just because I hate Cutsey Girl Voices in Japanese.

In comparison FFX's dub is about on-par with (or even better than) FFX's original Japanese voicework so there ain't nothing lost by playing that in English.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 23, 2014

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I can't adjust to japanese Sazh.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I forgot to mention that yeah Lightning is the exception. Hope is flat in both languages. Sazh just sounds weird in Japanese with a voice that doesn't fit the character at all. Snow's fine in either. A lot of the non-PC characters have bad voices in one or both languages.

Fang and Vanille have Australian actresses and it's for flavour. It doesn't hurt things in any way so your complaint about it seems rather nitpicking.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 23, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Vanille's voice is still terrible in both languages mind but even then the English version threw in random Australian accents. I'd take the English voice though if just because I hate Cutsey Girl Voices in Japanese.

I'm going to spoiler this because ilifinicus hasn't played FFXIII.
They're Aussies because they're not from Pulse like everyone else. I think it's a nice little nod. They sound like they're down under because they're literally from down underneath pulse

I just finished the LR:XIII demo.
It was pretty bland, the combat seems like it has potential in the end, but the demo didn't really give you a good stage for it and it seemed very short, too short to actually settle in, play and get a grasp on it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Does it really matter what language they're talking in if you're still going to read stuff like "moms are tough?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I forgot to mention that yeah Lightning is the exception. Hope is flat in both languages.

I think Daisuke Ono does a much better job with Snow that Troy Baker in the first game. Not that Troy Baker is a bad actor because he isn't. (He's a really good one.) Just that he was given lovely direction and doesn't know where to go. He actually does a better job as Snow in the FFXIII-3 demo, although by that point he's basically playing a different, growlier, character. (He was also the best part of FFXIII-2 too so it may just be Troy Baker being awesome.)

Krad posted:

Does it really matter what language they're talking in if you're still going to read stuff like "moms are tough?"

At least you can tune it out more easily when they're talking on the overworld? v:shobon:v FFXIII-3 appears to be a hot mess of CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS so that might actually be worthwhile if you just want the gameplay.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krad posted:

Yes because then I turn on Chinese Subtitles and imagine that the dialog is totally different. FFXIII is a lot more enjoyable when you believe the plot of the game is that the cast of FFXIII were once a globally popular musical act (thats why they have the same tatoo and everyone freaks out when they see them) and Barthandelus is their old producer who wants in on the new album.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So, is the battle system similar to the other two games or a different beast altogether? How do they compare? I mean, I'm probably going to get it anyway eventually, but I'm just trying to decide if I want to get it when it comes out or wait for the inevitable price drop.

And how is it for technobabble bullshit, both gameplay and story? I always liked to laugh at the silliness in the other games. Is it all time paradoxes and paradigms bibble?

Also, Australian Vanille is the best. Well, second best behind the Afro Chocobo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

McDragon posted:

So, is the battle system similar to the other two games or a different beast altogether? How do they compare? I mean, I'm probably going to get it anyway eventually, but I'm just trying to decide if I want to get it when it comes out or wait for the inevitable price drop.

Also, Australian Vanille is the best. Well, second best behind the Afro Chocobo.

Yes and no. It is by far more active and customizable, and you control only one character and choose her positioning and attacks specifically, but it keeps the central ideas of rapid class switching, staggers, and juggling from the first two games intact. Avoiding taking damage also becomes immensely more important since damage isn't automatically healed after fights and non-potion healing looks to be fairly rare and slow. It's sort of like smashing Kingdom Hearts and FF13 together. If you were comfortable with 13's combat and level of difficulty you'll probably transition into 13-3's just fine. If you're expecting something that plays like DMC or Bayonetta you'll probably be a bit disappointed, and if you didn't like 13's combat then I doubt you would consider 13-3's an improvement.

Judging from the demo, technobabble-wise there is going to be CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS CHAOS and the story is known to be even dumber bullshit than 13-2's, though hopefully at least entertainingly so. It tries really hard to top 13-2's magnificent, best in the FF series ending, but doesn't quite make it.

vvvv I was honestly surprised to find that I actually kind of didn't hate Lumina. She's like Serah if Serah was a prick instead of being both awful and bland.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 23, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just played the demo and Lumina's voice is much more tolerable in English. Lumina in Japanese makes me want to punch things.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chumbler posted:

It tries really hard to top 13-2's magnificent, best in the FF series ending, but doesn't quite make it.

I genuinely like that ending. It's so absurd and kind of out of nowhere. I'm also pretty impressed they had the balls to straight up kill the player character just like that at the end. It made me laugh pretty hard, which might mean I'm deranged or something, but it was a great ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Just played the demo and Lumina's voice is much more tolerable in English. Lumina in Japanese makes me want to punch things.

Yeah, actually. I hate the character either way but her voice is at least not shattering glass when she speaks in English.

McDragon posted:

Basically the combat system is similar but different. It still focuses on rapid attacks and staggering but there are some major differences.

A) You effectively have three characters but can only use one at a time and they share an HP pool. (But not an ATB bar.) They are completely customizable so you can basically do whatever you want. Mages, dragoons, swordsman, whatever. Each piece of equipment in the game has their own set of abilities so you get a ton of choice when deciding how to build your character.

B) You can move around now, which allows you to reposition yourself and even walk out of the way of some attacks. Likewise, you can actively guard against attacks now and there are various kinds of guards. (Evasion, defensive, counterattacks) which alter how your guarding works.

C) Health no longer refills outside of combat. You instead need to recover with items which are limited in number. You also lose 5% HP if you get surprised by an enemy attack. (But they lose up to 25% if you ambuse them.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 23, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Aurain posted:

I genuinely like that ending. It's so absurd and kind of out of nowhere. I'm also pretty impressed they had the balls to straight up kill the player character just like that at the end. It made me laugh pretty hard, which might mean I'm deranged or something, but it was a great ending.

I prefer to think that the time travel motorcycle ending is the true ending to FFXIII-2.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
While it wasn't as popular in NA as Kingdom Hearts, FFX HD should do well worldwide. KH1.5 did almost 500K in the NPD for one month.

FFXII has to be next in line. These remakes are just easy money for them. Here's hoping we don't get something like 'We lost the code for the game. The development of FFXII was like the goddamn the Bataan Death March and we don't want to repeat a fraction of that development hell.'

ilifinicus posted:

I got my hands on FFXIII with Japanese audio and Chinese/English subs. Very excited to get to play this without the horrid dubbing.

edit: Forgot to post one of the new oddities I found in FF6 for Android. The dancers in this scene got cut in half

It's the same thing with the Magitek armor in battle. The characters are chopped in half and simply dropped in. The original worked around the character sprites to give the illusion they were operating the armors.

Krad posted:

That phrase is supposed to be based on a old Japanese idiom about how 'weak women gain strength through motherhood' and all the sexist connotations it comes with. To be fair, they also used a similar expression for how Sazh's fatherhood empowers him in his search for his son.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
How do you know you've unlocked the dress-sphere after finishing the demo? I uploaded my Five-Star rating but the demo didn't mention anything. Taking screenshots was more fun than I thought it would be. Reminds me of the similar feature in Dragon's Dogma. Why you would ever let Lightning wear anything but the Locke costume in cutscenes, I do not know.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Great Lakes Log posted:

That's kinda interesting I suppose? I was initially hoping for something more extreme like, a run through of the game takes about 3 hours but there's way more content hidden around the world.

I guess I just want a more extreme Majora's Mask.

They said it was going to be like that at first, but then for whatever reason they added in a ton of loopholes so you can actually see everything in one run.

Aurain posted:

I genuinely like that ending. It's so absurd and kind of out of nowhere.

You're forewarned about all of it over the course of the game but the characters just never do anything to stop it. It's pretty funny.

Renoistic posted:

How do you know you've unlocked the dress-sphere after finishing the demo? I uploaded my Five-Star rating but the demo didn't mention anything. Taking screenshots was more fun than I thought it would be. Reminds me of the similar feature in Dragon's Dogma. Why you would ever let Lightning wear anything but the Locke costume in cutscenes, I do not know.

There's nothing about it specifically, it'll just show up in some menu in the full game if you have a demo score on your Outerworld account.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It reminds me of Nier where you spend the entire first half trying to cure Yonah's disease just for her to get captured, then the second half is dedicated to getting her back. After they get her back and the story ends, Yonah dies shortly after because whoops, we never actually got a cure for her.

I actually like the ending though, for the same reasons. I... sort of liked Serah? Kind of? She had almost a character when they mentioned she was a schoolteacher, and she has a bunch of silly responses (even if they're the wrong ones), so she was at least better than Lightning. I also liked the idea of the one frozen in crystal in the first game being the one to save everyone this time, but Noel kind of ruins that. He really should've been Dahj from the future.