Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ChineseConnection posted:

How old? Modern movies or old black & white era?

Was definitely thinking more 30s-60s. Harryhausen type stuff; 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Valley of Gwangi, etc. or creature features like Them! or even Gremlins. But yeah, The Host is fun too. Just not quite what I'm going for.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Slate Action posted:

Make sure you're watching The Host (2006), though; The Host (2013) is an unrelated (and lovely) movie.

Yes. If your movie seems overrun with bland white teens, that means you're watching Stephanie Meyer's The Host. Which, compared to the genius of Twilight, is considered her B-material.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

feedmyleg posted:

Anybody have any favorite sci-fi B/monster movies on Netflix?

The Stuff
Rodan
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Ghidorah

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

feedmyleg posted:

Creature is a blatant Alien ripoff, this I will admit. It is however an extremely watchable Alien ripoff.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

feedmyleg posted:

Big Trouble in Little China

Grabbers (an Irish tremors)

Stakeland was an awesome vampire movie.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The 1978 Piranha. It's cheesy but god drat is it fun to watch, especially a certain "distraction" scene.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MrGreenShirt posted:

Creature is a blatant Alien ripoff, this I will admit. It is however an extremely watchable Alien ripoff.

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed this one. There was another newer one also one called Creature too, about some kind of swamp gator man thing, that I remember enjoying as well.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
If Slugs is still streaming absolutely watch it.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Humanoids from the Deep all day every day.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Whoever asked for a stoner movie that's on netflix instant check out Killer Bud. I thought it would be stupid when I started it and it is but in all the right ways. Check it out.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qa5kBjmxh4
The Beast with 1 Million Eyes-The real monster is the script/acting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL3hX1VtgFw
SHAKMA-LARPers are hunted down by a brain damaged baboon NOT a parody.
Seconding Humanoids from the Deep

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

The Stuff
Rodan
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Ghidorah

All dope suggestions.

If you want some quality '80s cheese with your monster movies, do a double feature of C.H.U.D. and Class of Nuke 'Em High.

Edit: I know the request was originally for '30s-'60s, so I'll also mention that The Angry Red Planet is up for streaming and features one of the cooler space monsters in cinema history.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 23, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Junkie Disease posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL3hX1VtgFw
SHAKMA-LARPers are hunted down by a brain damaged baboon NOT a parody.
Whoah. I sincerely want to see this now. I think it was talked about in this thread before maybe, but I forgot about it.

Man what ever happened to that style of voice over in trailers? That needs to come back. "...and SHAKMA. SHAKMAAAAAAAA"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

All dope suggestions.

If you want some quality '80s cheese with your monster movies, do a double feature of C.H.U.D. and Class of Nuke 'Em High.

Edit: I know the request was originally for '30s-'60s, so I'll also mention that The Angry Red Planet is up for streaming and features one of the cooler space monsters in cinema history.

Totally forgot CHUD was up. Hard to beat that combo of rubber monster suits, genuine anger at the government and Daniel Stern.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Netflix Canada has "Homeland", but only the first season. Do any other countries have season two available for streaming?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Whoah. I sincerely want to see this now. I think it was talked about in this thread before maybe, but I forgot about it.

Man what ever happened to that style of voice over in trailers? That needs to come back. "...and SHAKMA. SHAKMAAAAAAAA"

They were replaced by this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTt4sMqAfN4

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
With Shakma the premise is the best part.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

foodfight posted:

If Slugs is still streaming absolutely watch it.
Gonna say nay on this one, somehow me and a buddy actually sat through the entirety of this. It's depressingly bad and about as exciting as you'd expect killer slugs to be.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm a fan of Leviathan for 80's creature horror. It's like Alien meets The Thing meets The Abyss, but with a bit lower budget. Scared the poo poo out of me as a kid though!

edit: drat looks like it's not on streaming anymore.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched the last episode of Twin Peaks, my first ever watching. Been hearing about it since 1990 and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about..... what the christ, it ended like THAT? I sort of wish I hadn't invested the time to watch it and just read the wikipedia summary. This show blueballs you.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

GORDON posted:

I just watched the last episode of Twin Peaks, my first ever watching. Been hearing about it since 1990 and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about..... what the christ, it ended like THAT? I sort of wish I hadn't invested the time to watch it and just read the wikipedia summary. This show blueballs you.

Now watch Fire Walk With Me to get the full experience.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

GORDON posted:

Haha. My first time watching it, I was pissed beyond belief. Now I think it's one of the great series finales ever (even if it was only intended as a season finale)

Next, watch Fire Walk With Me.
Then read the FWWM shooting script -- at least 45 min to an hour was cut from the final product.
Then rewatch Twin Peaks (but this time around, you can skip past James and Nadine's S2 storylines :) )

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Boy of Joy posted:

Gonna say nay on this one, somehow me and a buddy actually sat through the entirety of this. It's depressingly bad and about as exciting as you'd expect killer slugs to be.

You are wrong. The slug attacks are insanely overboard and gruesome and often involve nudity. At one point a guy gets slugs in his glove and ends up chopping off his hand which leads to him blowing up him and his wife. All from some slugs! I liked it more than Pieces.

SLUGS

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think Fire Walk With Me is great, but it hurts my enjoyment of the original series because it pulls back the curtain on Twin Peaks and shows you exactly how horrifying and destructive Bob's influence on the place is. Its hard to then go back to the series and laugh at some of the jokes.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Slugs owns, a movie I remember seeing back when I was like 6 or 7.

I really need to see more of Jean Piquer Simon's stuff, I've seen Slugs, Pieces and Mystery on Monster Island and loved all three.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

foodfight posted:

With Shakma the premise is the best part.

The second best part is just how angrily that baboon throws itself at stuff. I want to know how they get that thing to be so pissed off at doors.

Also the ending is pretty cool, but it isn't really worth sitting through the rest of the movie.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

GORDON posted:

Just so you don't draw any false conclusions, "What the christ, it ended like THAT?" was the correct 1990 reaction, too.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm really enjoying An Idiot Abroad but parts of the Rio episode dip a bit too much into that awkward Gervaisian humor. Other than that this is a show that everyone should be watching because Karl Pilkington is a very interesting human being.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

weekly font posted:

I'm really enjoying An Idiot Abroad but parts of the Rio episode dip a bit too much into that awkward Gervaisian humor. Other than that this is a show that everyone should be watching because Karl Pilkington is a very interesting human being.

Ya, I started the first season recently and really warming up to Karl. Such a closed minded guy that hates anything different in his life, but in the first three episodes, I feel you can see him slowly turning his views around. I think in either the second or third episode he has that quote about how it's better to live in the lovely place looking out at the beautiful mansion, than to live in the beautiful mansion looking out at the lovely house. That completely blew me away.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
His discussion about what if his dad had a divination done in the China episode was pretty heartwarming.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I watched Plus One.

A great time-looping-in-on-itself movie rear end-raped by the scriptwriters who brought you Porky's. What in the hell.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

magnificent7 posted:

I watched Plus One.

A great time-looping-in-on-itself movie rear end-raped by the scriptwriters who brought you Porky's. What in the hell.

I find Porky's to be one of the darkest, ugly, and unnerving movies i've ever scene. Is that weird?

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Watched Cutie and the Boxer, a documentary about a married pair of Japanese artists living in NY that's very charming, poignant and quite funny at moments. A great examination of some of the biggest questions about life, marriage and what drives us to do what we do.

Also caught The Square which is an exciting and heartbreaking documentary look at the tumult in Egypt starting with the uprising against Mubarak. A Netflix sponsored release on their streaming service, it's been nominated for an Oscar just like Cutie and the Boxer.

Definitely make sure you stick it out until halfway, it really picks up once things grow more tense on the street and the personal stories they develop start to pay off. Gives you hope to see and hear people act in three dimensions instead of the caricatures we sometimes get through the news. A great artifact of an important historical event as well.

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 24, 2014

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Ape of Naples posted:

I find Porky's to be one of the darkest, ugly, and unnerving movies i've ever scene. Is that weird?
You're probably thinking of the plot and/or events in the story. My reference was to the unexpected teens gittin' spontaneously nekkid and boinking. And I love that poo poo, but it definitely pushes the fabric of suspension of disbelief when you're trying to follow a plot where a weather event / alien invasion causes a party's attendees to duplicate and maybe there's a threat that they'll kill the original humans, OH WAIT THERE'S CHICKS PULLIN OFF THEIR SHIRTS! What were we talking about again?

BIG GIANT Japanese bush. Like more afro than Webster. Oh and there's time travel.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can anybody recommend some gritty 70's NYC movies on Netflix (or Amazon). Also some sleazy 90's thrillers would be nice.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Can anybody recommend some gritty 70's NYC movies on Netflix (or Amazon). Also some sleazy 90's thrillers would be nice.

I was just badmouthing Jacob's Ladder, but its setting felt like the same gritty 1970s of Taxi Driver.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

All of the pre-Scarface Al Pacino movies would apply, but sadly the only thing left is The Panic in Needle Park.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

I missed the "gritty" part at first and I was going to suggest Manhattan. Now I'm thinking about Woody Allen starring in a gritty 70's police drama and busting heads.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

ChineseConnection posted:

All of the pre-Scarface Al Pacino movies would apply, but sadly the only thing left is The Panic in Needle Park.

Panic in Needle Park rules though. One of Pacino's most underrated performances, it's actually the role that impressed Coppola enough to hire him for The Godfather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Haha. My first time watching it, I was pissed beyond belief. Now I think it's one of the great series finales ever (even if it was only intended as a season finale)

The Twin Peaks ending was somehow unsatisfying but amazing at the same time. After finishing the series, I initially felt anger but remembered every scene that I absolutely adored and the feeling of anger at being unfulfilled completely washed away.

• Locked thread