Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nutranurse posted:

Most complaints I've seen so far about the DLC relate to how little people know about Medieval India. Well. Go to wikipedia, it's great for poo poo like this, and as someone who knows a bit about the period it'll be a fun a gently caress ride if Pdox does half as well as I think they will.

So if the average (Paradox) player's lack of knowledge with regards to medieval India won't / shouldn't prove to be a hurdle to enjoying this xpack, what went wrong with Sengoku? Would a CK2 set in medieval Japan do better simply by virtue of having CK2's mechanics and gameplay improvements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Gimmick Account posted:

One can only hope that with this expansion they will finally feel compelled to implement some sort of distance system (affected by technology) that prevents diplomatic interaction between powers that are too far away from each other. This would also reduce the absurd nordic/west african intermarrying that exists right now. The more you or the other guy expand towards each other, the easier/cheaper will it be to make treaties.

It would do wonders for how the world shapes up as well.

As for Paradox Arctic: When will the Paradox FPS be released? :colbert:

Leaked vehicle footage

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

gradenko_2000 posted:

So if the average (Paradox) player's lack of knowledge with regards to medieval India won't / shouldn't prove to be a hurdle to enjoying this xpack, what went wrong with Sengoku? Would a CK2 set in medieval Japan do better simply by virtue of having CK2's mechanics and gameplay improvements?

Yes. A thousand times yes. If paradox gave as much development and fleshing out to Sengoku as they gave to CK2 then it'd have been an awesome game.

I'll never buy the argument "players won't by X because X is about/depicts a non-white, non-european culture." That kind of thinking is really limited and makes Paradox's entire audience out to be eurocentric racists (which most aren't, just a vocal few).

Sengoku did poorly because it was a lovely, lukewarm game, not because it was set in Japan.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Pimpmust posted:

It would do wonders for how the world shapes up as well.

As for Paradox Arctic: When will the Paradox FPS be released? :colbert:

Leaked vehicle footage

In Russia, comet get -1 stability

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

jsoh posted:

Does the feudal politics of ck2 really fit with period India, is the really big question. It's already pretty out of place with some of the things that are on the map to begin with, in my understanding of history.

Yeah. It's a much better fit for CK2 than the Muslim or Byzantine systems, actually.

nutranurse posted:

Yes. A thousand times yes. If paradox gave as much development and fleshing out to Sengoku as they gave to CK2 then it'd have been an awesome game.

I'll never buy the argument "players won't by X because X is about/depicts a non-white, non-european culture." That kind of thinking is really limited and makes Paradox's entire audience out to be eurocentric racists (which most aren't, just a vocal few).

Sengoku did poorly because it was a lovely, lukewarm game, not because it was set in Japan.

My main concern would be not what affection players have for the subject, but what interest the developers have. I think it was in this thread that Paradox employees said that, you know, they've never really had that much interest in ROTW.

(Hence, the state of Sengoku.)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The Rome II thread made me really disgusted because of all the people in it going 'oh yeah it's worse in every way than Shogun 2, but gently caress the japanese only eurocentric poo poo is fun to play in'.

Justify your purchase all you want but drat.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

My main concern would be not what affection players have for the subject, but what interest the developers have. I think it was in this thread that Paradox employees said that, you know, they've never really had that much interest in ROTW.

(Hence, the state of Sengoku.)

Yeah, I get that, but Paradox seems like it's a different company than it was when it was making Sengoku. I doubt they'd release some slap-dash, poorly thought out/researched DLC for one of their most successful titles. This is the company that's recently killed two games (MMTG & EvW) because they didn't meet their quality control standards.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they'll do their best. :shrug:

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Looks like just today they released a teaser for an upcoming HOI IV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1bvX2-XrAQ

Edit: beaten to the punch

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Drone posted:

As an American I'm upset about my inability to play as the Duke of Ohio in CK2. Paradox please cater to my ethnicity!

On this note, has any CK2 mod set in North America ever actually come to fruition? I recall more than one floating around but I don't believe I've seen one released anywhere.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

nutranurse posted:

Most complaints I've seen so far about the DLC relate to how little people know about Medieval India. Well. Go to wikipedia, it's great for poo poo like this, and as someone who knows a bit about the period it'll be a fun a gently caress ride if Pdox does half as well as I think they will.

Most of the more vocal complaints on the paradox forums seem to boil down to thinly-veiled racism.

Or not so thinly-veiled, in some cases:

quote:

The problem here isn't India per se.

The problem is that there is so much more about CK2 that should have been focused on first. Deepening game mechanics and the feudal system for one. This is after all a Medieval simulator. As for cosmetics, we could use better graphical representations of our holdings.

Expanding the map shouldn't be that big of a priority right now. As this thread shows, excitement for Medieval India is luke warm at best. The handful of giddy Indians not withstanding.

On a side note: Will the overpowering smell of curry come with this DLC or will it be optional?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't even get it. CK2's Holy War system throws out anyone who isn't of your religion. You can just holy war for a duchy in India and it will literally throw out all those disgusting brown people you hate.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mister Adequate posted:

On this note, has any CK2 mod set in North America ever actually come to fruition? I recall more than one floating around but I don't believe I've seen one released anywhere.

There was a nice mod that just transplanted the existing kingdoms to a new map - I played on it and it mostly worked well, though there were a couple of minor graphical glitches (provinces with army locations set to (0,0)...) Not sure how to find it again, though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

I had a go of it some while back, but it broke at one point and I didn't know about version control or had even the basic prudence of keeping a working, older backup at hand. Never got it to fully work again, and it's all several patches behind the current CK2 release anyways.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'll probably buy the India DLC day one and play CK2 for the first time since shortly after ToG came out, having a whole new chunk of map to play with and new religions seems much more interesting than just adding more to what's already there.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

gradenko_2000 posted:

Would a CK2 set in medieval Japan do better simply by virtue of having CK2's mechanics and gameplay improvements?

There's an easy way for you to find out.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

arhra posted:

Or not so thinly-veiled, in some cases:

His complaints of substance aren't even right. IMHO, as it is, CKII is exactly as deep as it should be. For a game design sperg like me, it's an incredibly beautiful design, very holistic. Just cramming in new core features wouldn't improve it any more, it might even be a detriment. That's not to say some features couldn't use a little more fleshing out (the cardinal system feels more like a mod than a proper core system at the moment), but features for the sake of features is never a good thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If they're expanding the map to India, they're probably going to have to do something about diplomacy distances. I might find it a little hard to believe that my Icelandic jarl can send a letter to the Raj of Ceylon asking for his daughter's hand.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Sengoku's biggest problem was the tiny scope. You can't do what Toyotomi Hideyoshi did and send all your problematic samurai off to die in a meat-grinder war in Korea because Korea's not on the map. You can't even play as Toyotomi Hideyoshi in the first place because the game starts 100 years before his birth. The most famous parts of the Sengoku cannot be modeled in Sengoku.

If we did get CK2 for Japan, I'd hope it wasn't Sengoku, but the power struggles in the 11th and 12th century at the end of the Heian period, with the powerful but declining Fujiwara who had puppeted the Emperors for six hundred years, the rising Taira and Hojo, and the ever-present threat of a Mongol invasion in the 13th century.

Also, the Hojo clan's insignia is literally the Triforce.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

DStecks posted:

but features for the sake of features is never a good thing.

Just look at SOTS II if we want to bring up a paradox-backed game that was stifled by its "features".

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Patter Song posted:

Sengoku's biggest problem was the tiny scope. You can't do what Toyotomi Hideyoshi did and send all your problematic samurai off to die in a meat-grinder war in Korea because Korea's not on the map. You can't even play as Toyotomi Hideyoshi in the first place because the game starts 100 years before his birth. The most famous parts of the Sengoku cannot be modeled in Sengoku.

If we did get CK2 for Japan, I'd hope it wasn't Sengoku, but the power struggles in the 11th and 12th century at the end of the Heian period, with the powerful but declining Fujiwara who had puppeted the Emperors for six hundred years, the rising Taira and Hojo, and the ever-present threat of a Mongol invasion in the 13th century.

Also, the Hojo clan's insignia is literally the Triforce.

I'd love to try to keep the Fujiwara in business.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Ah, so it's Rome 2: 1936, Rome 2: Beyond the Rhine: The RPG and Rome 2: Parthian Parties.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I'd be excited for the India expansion, but it's most likely going to slow down my game enough to render it unplayable to me.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Zeron posted:

I'd be excited for the India expansion, but it's most likely going to slow down my game enough to render it unplayable to me.

Yeah that's my big concern with adding India: on the one hand, my gaming PC will probably handle it fine since it runs CK2 smoothly enough if it's not running CK2+, but adding India might make my laptop run like poo poo.

Still though, if I can disable the India DLC, then this DLC is absolutely fantastic news and it will be loving awesome to try to turn India Norse, or turn Britain Hindu :v:.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

DrProsek posted:

Yeah that's my big concern with adding India: on the one hand, my gaming PC will probably handle it fine since it runs CK2 smoothly enough if it's not running CK2+, but adding India might make my laptop run like poo poo.

Still though, if I can disable the India DLC, then this DLC is absolutely fantastic news and it will be loving awesome to try to turn India Norse, or turn Britain Hindu :v:.

You can disable any DLC in the launcher, so don't worry!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Oh yeah, I thought for some reason having a DLC that changes the map makes permanent changes to the base game files, but then I remembered the ASOIAF mod changes the map fine while leaving the base games maps untouched so the India DLC should be fine :downs:.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Autism posted:

You can disable any DLC in the launcher, so don't worry!

Disabling the DLC might not shrink the map, just make Indians unplayable.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
You'd think I'd get used to how mad some people get every time a DLC is announced, but nope, still surprised.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Darkrenown posted:

You'd think I'd get used to how mad some people get every time a DLC is announced, but nope, still surprised.

It just never gets old. :allears:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

I don't know anything about Indian history and therefore think it's a useless, irrelevant region which will be not fun to play in. Paradox, why do you hate us? :downs:

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Darkrenown posted:

If it makes you feel better, I'm legitimately excited for India being added! Especially since I've already played games in most regions and I'm running out of gimmicks to do.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Darkrenown posted:

Announce a DLC that has a billion awesome cool features that everyone has been asking for for years but makes it mandatory for the player to use an African nation.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

E:^^^^
Announce a new DLC based on a popular book series that you know is popular among Paradox fans.
It's The Years of Rice and Salt.

Darkrenown posted:

Finnishviking posted:

Really this feels like going to a nice restaurant, ordering a stake and getting a cooked vegetables instead.

Yes the vegetables probably will be well cooked and might taste fantastic but i still grave for my stake.

It's not as angry as the Sunset Invasion reception was, but apparently he was ripped off when... Paradox announced they're making a new CKII DLC he might not want? I dunno, I didn't really want to play the Norse that much when TOG was announced but I found a way to cope v:v:v.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 23, 2014

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Humble thread title suggestions:

Crusader Kings 2: The overpowering smell of curry

Crusader Kings 2: Like a plate of vegetables

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

DrProsek posted:

Announce a new DLC based on a popular book series that you know is popular among Paradox fans.

This would be amazing if it was a stealth feature, with the DLC marketed on some other stuff entirely, and the game played out normally until a random event in the mid-14thC pops up and wipes out every European nation on the map.

:unsmigghh:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

This is sarcasm, right? I just know there's some Paradox.txt out there about how Years of Rice and Salt is just unrealistic and terrible and all stupid

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

If I were you, I'd try to capitalize on the fact that Rajas is probably the first major Western game release to focus on India.

I searched for games obviously set in India, and all I could find are games where there's a couple levels there. This may very well be the first Western game product to have India as its primary setting.

Seriously, you should put that poo poo in your marketing.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
So far, I find the Norse stuff from Old Gods the most fun, but now I get to do a Hindu game, a Buddhist game, and a ____(Jain?) game, then try to do a Norse invasion somewhere in the Eastern Caspian region to start a conquest to make Norse India, then try to do Alexander the Great: Byzantine Boogaloo. Yeah, India provides a good few more long term goals.

Hearts of Iron 4 was expected, and Paradox knows how to make fun bug-free games now so I'm not super excited because of being burned before, but I am looking forward to it still.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I really hope someone does an LP of India conquering the British Isles.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

DStecks posted:

If I were you, I'd try to capitalize on the fact that Rajas is probably the first major Western game release to focus on India.

I searched for games obviously set in India, and all I could find are games where there's a couple levels there. This may very well be the first Western game product to have India as its primary setting.

Seriously, you should put that poo poo in your marketing.

This is a good point! I'm pretty ashamed to admit that I know almost nothing of the history of anything east of Iran (other than China and Japan) until the 15th century, and even then I know very little until Europeans start really getting involved. I'm blaming this on lack of cultural exposure :v:

Cantorsdust posted:

It would be a sorely lost opportunity if this isn't an achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Oh my god yes, Raj of England would be such a fun achievement.

• Locked thread