Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
You're right, sealed is no draft but i will be there if it isn't completely unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Just had a game where I was creating 4-6 Ancestral Specters every turn against a deck where I couldn't attack and knew it. If I did, he would just block with heavy-pumped lifesteal totems. If he attacked I would block with Flock of Seagulls(which were slowly Inner Conflict'd over the course of the game), which would tap his big guys and let me get through since all damage to flock of seagulls is reduced to zero so he would gain no life.

This resulted in a 40-minute long game where I had so many specters on the board that they were overlapping each other and half were literally unclickable because of it. I would play a Gralk so I could attack, he would inner light, I would counter, he would inner light again. I draw another gralk, he inner lights again and I was drawing 15-something cards a turn because of drawing one specter after another.

I decided to just mill him out. We were stalemated, but I was creating so many cards a turn that I would never lose by drawing, but he would. The timer ended up being a concern, where I was taking longer to do my turns because of all the loving specter draws, as well as my PC rendering the game slower than his so his turns were faster.

I finally drew the last gralk and won at 8 minutes, thank gently caress.

I can't believe how many times I get stalemated playing this deck. It's creating multiple 2-2 fliers every turn that can be up to 6-6 depending on how many air superiorities I have out, but I end up in so many situations against lifedrain decks that I just can't attack and we have to wait for Gralk + Mastery of Time combos.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

It seems that they're hoping to implement Sealed play in next week's patch. It's not quite draft, but I can go for it. Let's all go have some buggy limited fun.

Yesssss. I'll be in the moment this is even remotely playable.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

pumpinglemma posted:

Yesssss. I'll be in the moment this is even remotely playable.

Seriously. I haven't played much recently, but I'm all about some sealed.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Very much looking forward to sealed, and I know it will get some of my friends who pledged to get started with the game finally

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I am trying a new Mill deck that's less about control and more about drawing an absolutely ridiculous amount of cards, hoping to Sabotage+Burn them to death before bad things happen to me. All five of my test games were wins against Shin'hare, sooooo no real data to speak of yet.

I really want shin'hare to be good, but oh man they so totally aren't :smith:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I find the Shinhare to be workable in a Wild/Diamond deck. The Shinhare Spam is great when combined with a Scrivener, and can get the Sentinel of Light out in record time--giving all the Battle Hoppers +2/+2, and that's not even counting Soul Marble and Command Tower.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

I find the Shinhare to be workable in a Wild/Diamond deck. The Shinhare Spam is great when combined with a Scrivener, and can get the Sentinel of Light out in record time--giving all the Battle Hoppers +2/+2, and that's not even counting Soul Marble and Command Tower.

Having the grand concubunny is pretty much all the shin-hare I need in my W/D deck since I have a bunch of inspires/cards that do well with a bunch of troops.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

DrManiac posted:

Having the grand concubunny is pretty much all the shin-hare I need in my W/D deck since I have a bunch of inspires/cards that do well with a bunch of troops.

I don't have inspires in that deck, the Shinhare cards I have are a few Ritualists, some Runts of the Litter, and Sensei of the Wounded Petal for lifegain.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

New update (Servers will be down for the next 8 hours)
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=32059

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
I'm excited for this even if there is still no mouse over size increase to make cards legible.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
How many cards away are they from having all of the first set playable? Also for the sealed tournaments, are they special events or can anyone just create a sealed tournament at the moment?

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Pretty sure they are going to be fire on demand just like the constructed tourneys.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Here is Stovetop posted:

I'm excited for this even if there is still no mouse over size increase to make cards legible.

I'd kill for that popup window MTGO has that shows a big version of whatever card you're mousing over. It would make Hex streams / shoulder surfing a lot more legible.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Thoom posted:

I'd kill for that popup window MTGO has that shows a big version of whatever card you're mousing over. It would make Hex streams / shoulder surfing a lot more legible.

Yeah I know it's alpha and all. But as much as they are pushing the e-sports and streaming, you'd think quality of life improvements that make the game easier to stream, and quicker to actually play would be getting some priority. If you want to build hype via streams, your game needs to be more understandable via stream.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Here is Stovetop posted:

Yeah I know it's alpha and all. But as much as they are pushing the e-sports and streaming, you'd think quality of life improvements that make the game easier to stream, and quicker to actually play would be getting some priority. If you want to build hype via streams, your game needs to be more understandable via stream.

No I think getting the game to work on a basic level is much more important than "building hype" for a game still in alpha that has virtually no advertising currently (or at least, none that I've seen).

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
They are pushing people to stream this game on twitch, they have put out multiple custom overlays to make the process of streaming easier. They hold tournaments on twitch as well. It's pretty obvious to me that no really advertising is going on, because new players can't actively get into the game yet as the alpha invites were in fact limited. But they seem to be going out of their way to have the community help build hype, and I can't even watch streams of this game because the streamers spend so much time talking about what the cards do, instead of their decision making processes that it's really drab.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I know the game is still in alpha and I know sealed was just implemented the other day, but it's weird how much difference there is psychologically between just having all of your cards given to you for sealed and actually opening them in packs. There really isn't a difference, but I felt empty on the inside not opening packs.

Significant improvement since last time I took a glance at the alpha though.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Anyone have any luck finishing a sealed tourney yet? I got as far as almost starting the first match in two of them last night...it was pretty exciting. Deck editor needs some work, starting with making the cards large enough to actually be read.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

WayAbvPar posted:

Anyone have any luck finishing a sealed tourney yet? I got as far as almost starting the first match in two of them last night...it was pretty exciting. Deck editor needs some work, starting with making the cards large enough to actually be read.

I decided I'll try sealed later after the first match never started after I had to wait 30 to get 8 people and 30 more because there isn't a done! button in the deck editor.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

DrManiac posted:

I decided I'll try sealed later after the first match never started after I had to wait 30 to get 8 people and 30 more because there isn't a done! button in the deck editor.

I couldn't even load into the tourney room so lucky you.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

I got into the first match and lost it after realizing I built a 60 card deck in a format that only needed 45. :v: Left out of personal shame and disgust.

vvv: i assumed 45 because that's what my opponent ran. I played through and left only when defeat was certain. Guess he either chose to go over or missed the 40 card memo too.

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 27, 2014

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

If you want to feel even more shame and disgust, read this: the minimum is actually 40 cards.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Couple questions, is the deck builder going to get massively revamped? The cards load painfully slow, and you read them easily so you have to like click or something to make them bigger [why don't the cards just have a mouseover so that you can see what they are when you hover?]

One of my favorite things to do is fiddle and make bad decks, but this is just a horrible experience that it keeps me from playing the game?

Lastly, it's been a while, do almost all games finish now? Last time I played it felt like most games didn't finish.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Had the sealed deck become stable yet? I tried it on day one and it was kind of a nightmare.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Karnegal posted:

Had the sealed deck become stable yet? I tried it on day one and it was kind of a nightmare.
I've only played one actual match that worked just fine. The other four gave me the impression that the opponent was afk. It showed their decks and mine, let me do stuff like choose to mulligan and then nothing. Wait for timer to expire and they lose. So I guess it's stable?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
A new update, some new stuff, and also cool news from Cory's new blog:

quote:

It’s one thing to chase a rare item in general (auction house, etc.) it’s another to run a dungeon endlessly trying to get it to actually drop. I can tell you from experience, it’s not fun.

So there it is, I was wrong, and we WILL make mercenaries tradable. And really, in terms of storytelling, doesn’t that make sense? They ARE mercenaries.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Well, admitting he was wrong about that is a promising move for the game as a whole. Also a hit to the pocket for those guys at gencon who left with like 10 portensio's

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Great news, I got "stuck" with dungeon crawler tier instead of pro player like I wanted, and when I heard a lot of drops weren't going to be tradable it felt kind of lovely because the entire reason I went with dungeon crawler was to sell drops to subsidize drafting fees. But that's better now.

In actual news: The game feels a lot better now over the past couple of weeks. It's a lot smoother, a lot fewer bugs and more importantly it's a lot faster. Less clicking to pass priority and then waiting for other people to pass which was driving me loving crazy. Flows so much better now.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, I've been playing sealed the last few nights. It's still obviously an Alpha, but it's getting fun.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Great news, I got "stuck" with dungeon crawler tier instead of pro player like I wanted, and when I heard a lot of drops weren't going to be tradable it felt kind of lovely because the entire reason I went with dungeon crawler was to sell drops to subsidize drafting fees. But that's better now.

Whoa, where was this said? Because I'm in the exact same boat.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I think it was just mercenaries that ever weren't going to be tradable, and now they are.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also sleeves, but I expect they will remain untradable?

I hope with this they don't change the amount of Mercenaries people will get when combining accounts (though to give them credit they have made no indication that they would, I just can't help but think that people will start whining about it as if they had)

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Go RV! posted:

Whoa, where was this said? Because I'm in the exact same boat.

Don't panic. I had heard through The Twitterverse™ that mercenaries and any strictly cosmetic things that are drops(card sleeves, alt art if applicable, etc) wouldn't be tradable. But it looks like that isn't going to be the case and listening to Twitter is usually a bad idea, which is why I didn't even bother mentioning it here until it was confirmed that the rumors were untrue.

The cosmetic drops being non-trade thing hasn't been confirmed, but I'm pretty sure cosmetic drops even existing hasn't been confirmed outside of "I guess maybe they'll exist???? I dunno, whatever"

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Mercenaries not being traceable was actually direct from Cory - he reversed his decision last week after realising that grinding for a specific mercenary would be kind of lovely. He posted about it on his shiny new blog, which should be updated most Wednesdays.

I'm not sure about cosmetic stuff, but I have to assume that it wouldn't go for much relative to rare cards and mercs anyway.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
What is a good resource to netdeck? I'd like to get started playing this again and would like a cheat sheet.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Sleeves will be given out at real world events only. They won't be doubling them for in game boosters like mercs during events. I don't have a lot of issues with them making purely cosmetic items limited edition or untradeable. If they do, great, if not, I don't care. I'm only really concerned with things that impact how I play the game.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm not sure about cosmetic stuff, but I have to assume that it wouldn't go for much relative to rare cards and mercs anyway.

I can absolutely guarantee you that any rare, dropped, tradable cosmetic items will be the most expensive items in the game. It's been the case in almost every game I've ever played that had cosmetic customization.

People are absolutely psychotic about internet dress-up. If you haven't been exposed to it yet you're in for a treat.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

New blog post by Cory

Not sure how I feel about how confident he feels about the success of the product in terms of playerbase and community, but it's nice he's fully aware that everything will crash and burn at launch due to server issues and isn't like every single developer ever who says they can handle it. Definitely worth a read anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Cory's Blog posted:

When it comes to limited play (draft, sealed, etc.) we have a pretty large number of formats and unique spins on it that we want to try (single elimination, marathon, asynchronous, etc.), but most revolve around actually purchasing cards.

I think this is the first confirmation we've seen that they're considering asynchronous tournaments, and let me just say thank gently caress. I don't know how often I could commit myself to sitting down for 3 hours to play through a limited tournament, but if I could just pop in and play a game whenever I had 20-30 minutes to kill (like I can in Hearthstone's arena), Cryptozoic is going to be getting a pretty steady cashflow from me.

• Locked thread