Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Home and garden, autos, business, education.

It also depends what your rating is.

Goddamn people stop taking the auto articles. Since there is little work, people take these articles that will eventually go up to $21/article when they're at the $8/article level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Technology, Business & Finance, and for the first time I've seen, today there are assignments in Style & Fashion

And yeah, seriously, too many people are doing this work at .7 or 1.4 cents a word. Those of us with higher standards are getting screwed by it.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Nighthand posted:

Technology, Business & Finance, and for the first time I've seen, today there are assignments in Style & Fashion

And yeah, seriously, too many people are doing this work at .7 or 1.4 cents a word. Those of us with higher standards are getting screwed by it.

Yep, the customer is going to say "oh, people will do them cheap, I'll turn off the feature that bumps it up to higher levels when no one completes them."

Sara T. Biggun
Dec 8, 2004

No bounce, no play
Ah.
Well, it seems I should re-pick my categories, then.

Thanks, homeys.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nighthand posted:

That's what drew me to WriterAccess, since it seems that the prices are pretty cut-and-dry, so you don't get people undercutting everything.

Speaking of WriterAccess, how long does it take for them to review a profile? I submitted mine yesterday and it's still reviewing.

Tried making a Zerys profile, and it keeps telling me that my profile information is incomplete but I filled it out about three times. Is it just processing or did something go wrong?

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 8, 2014

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I haven't read this whole thread, but a few weeks ago I applied online with Zirtual.com. On Monday I finally heard back, and I've been completing their interview sample tasks all week. Tonight I got word that I can complete a Skype interview tomorrow, so I have that set up, and I'm pretty excited! I'm really hoping I'll know something by the end of the week if I can work for them. I have a waitressing job on the back burner if this doesn't come through, but I'd much rather work from home than waitress. Send me good luck vibes, Goons! :D

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Good luck! I don't think virtual assistant stuff has come up in this thread much, so let us know how it works out.

Sara T. Biggun
Dec 8, 2004

No bounce, no play

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's what drew me to WriterAccess, since it seems that the prices are pretty cut-and-dry, so you don't get people undercutting everything.

Speaking of WriterAccess, how long does it take for them to review a profile? I submitted mine yesterday and it's still reviewing.

Tried making a Zerys profile, and it keeps telling me that my profile information is incomplete but I filled it out about three times. Is it just processing or did something go wrong?

I also submitted my profile for review at WriterAccess recently.
If it's anything like the wait to even get to this stage, it'll be 3 months.

I'm hoping it won't be that long, and would also like to see what kind of a wait others have had with the profile review process.

I had no problems with Zerys's profile situation, but I'm definitely going to re-choose my subject list, as I never see a goddamn thing there. I guess Zerys doesn't have much "entertainment" work.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Zerys has a ton of categories that are specifically for that stupid side blog you have to write posts for when you register and then never look at again. Actual clients paying for work have entirely different needs and file their poo poo under limited categories.

Also, on Zerys, get in with a couple of the bulk clients if you can. One of them liked a thing I did and added me to their favorite writers list, which is a separate board with generally better assignments on it.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Nighthand posted:

Good luck! I don't think virtual assistant stuff has come up in this thread much, so let us know how it works out.

Thanks! My only concerns are as follows:

1) I really need income now, but I think I have to do 4 weeks of training before they give me any clients. I don't think this training pays much (other forums have said $100 for the training, but I can't find a definite answer on that?). But then once I take on clients, I am paid half of what the client pays Zirtual. So if I get executive level clients, they pay Zirtual $749/month so I get half of that and I can have multiple clients, so if I had 4 clients I would make $1498/month. Other sources on the internet have said up to $2500/month. I'm not sure what to believe because current employees apparently sign NDA's and can't really say.

2) That being said though, I am pretty sure it's a 1099 job, so I'd have to put a chunk of that aside for taxes (ugh, so annoying). I also know they won't give me multiple clients right off the bat. They start you with one to make sure you're comfortable. One isn't going to put me at the income level I need, so--

3) I will probably wait tables as well while completing training and while I only have one client, lol. But if they decide I'm a good fit, I definitely plan on ramping up to several clients eventually so that I can drop waiting tables for good. I'm going to be in school again so anything I can do from home is awesome. Plus we are going to be moving to another state soon, so anything portable is a huge plus, etc.

Hip Hoptimus Prime fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 9, 2014

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Yeah, definitely keep us posted (as much as the NDA will allow). I don't think I've got the temperament to be someone's personal assistant, but it's an interesting opportunity and certainly would be valuable to the thread.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

I just did the Skype interview--it was awesome! They have a really laid back, nerdy vibe and it totally fits my personality. They are going to let me know by tonight if I get to do their certification process. I am really crossing my fingers. They asked if I could stay with them for at least a year if they take me on--and I definitely could.

The interviewer did tell me that very, very few applicants reach the interview point, so I feel really awesome about that, and that the average ZA works 20 hours a week right now (which will be a good balance for my school work).

misunderestimated
Sep 17, 2009

I started at WriterAccess at the beginning of December and as I recall, it took them around 10 days to review my profile, give or take a day or two.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
When you all write articles do you ever include links to the websites that you used as resources — like this content that Demand Media wrote for USA Today: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/typical-budget-backpacking-europe-35215.html

I'm trying to get some more links to my site and I'd be willing pay some cash to anyone who writes about travel (specifically in Europe). My email is jfeess at gmail

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Your site would actually have to be usable as a reference -- meaning at least somewhat credible and containing useful (and preferably sourced) information. The CEs can get pretty picky about the sites writers use for their articles.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

Your site would actually have to be usable as a reference -- meaning at least somewhat credible and containing useful (and preferably sourced) information. The CEs can get pretty picky about the sites writers use for their articles.

My site is thesavvybackpacker.com I've been referenced twice by Demand Media and linked to in the USA Today travel section. Additionally, I'm in the process of publishing a book about backpacking/budget travel in Europe but it won't be published for another 12 months.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

I just received word that I am starting the Zirtual certification process on Monday. As long as I am successful with all their training stuff, I will get clients (and a paycheck) beginning 2-3 weeks from now. I haven't signed anything yet, but I'll tell whatever I can that isn't part of the NDA.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

misunderestimated posted:

I started at WriterAccess at the beginning of December and as I recall, it took them around 10 days to review my profile, give or take a day or two.

Yeah, I applied in December and the first step took like three weeks, so I'm just hoping this part is a little timelier.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Omits-Bagels posted:

My site is thesavvybackpacker.com I've been referenced twice by Demand Media and linked to in the USA Today travel section. Additionally, I'm in the process of publishing a book about backpacking/budget travel in Europe but it won't be published for another 12 months.

Then yeah, you'd definitely pass muster. The last person who inquired about this sort of thing had a pretty hilarious idea about what would earn them a reference link on a DS article. :)

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Another update. Earlier in my email about doing the training, Zirtual said they'd send me some HR forms to fill out and that they needed to be done by 3:00 PST. Well, here I sit, 2:52 PST, and no forms have hit my inbox. I checked my spam folders, etc. and nothing. I emailed them over an hour ago with a heads up that I hadn't gotten the forms, and that I have dinner plans so I'll be leaving my house a little after 3:00 PST (I'm on the east coast, so their 3:00 deadline is 6:00 here--dinnertime). They originally said they need the forms for me to start the training on Monday, so hopefully since it's not my fault here, it won't matter? All I know is, once I leave the house, I won't be able to print anything until like 8 hours from now. But I can at least acknowledge receipt from my smart phone.

e: I also called their office a little while ago and spoke to a human and she said she'd shoot the guy who's been emailing me a message to let him know. So hopefully I'm OK. I just don't want anything to come between me and this job!

Hip Hoptimus Prime fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 10, 2014

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

Then yeah, you'd definitely pass muster. The last person who inquired about this sort of thing had a pretty hilarious idea about what would earn them a reference link on a DS article. :)

Cool. Well, just keep me on mind. Hopefully I'll get some links once the book is published but until then I need some help.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

All the documents I needed to fill in came to my email finally, including the NDA! To be on the safe side, I'm going to keep silent until I can get a lawyer to look at it and put in plain English for me what I can and cannot discuss. Some things are obvious, like not giving out financial info of clients, names/personal information of clients, etc. But there might be other things written in legal jargon so I'm gonna get them cleared before I share anything else. Better to be safe than sorry. I'm excited to start training on Monday though. By the end of the month (or first week of February at the latest) I'll start actually working. :)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Holy poo poo, Zerys feels like getting work is half being able to write, and half being psychic and knowing what categories the jobs are listed under. There's like nothing on there right now, even with the suggestions for categories in the threads.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Holy poo poo, Zerys feels like getting work is half being able to write, and half being psychic and knowing what categories the jobs are listed under. There's like nothing on there right now, even with the suggestions for categories in the threads.

What star level are you?

Grr.. the HVAC client just said they want links in the same window, instead of new. But they phrased it like I should've already known, even though they haven't changed their instructions.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Do distinctions exist in the decimal values of star ratings on Zerys wrt viewing jobs? I didn't check a client by accident and got 3-starred twice, bringing my 4.5 down to a 4.3 and I'm seeing quite a few less jobs on the board. Is there a way to fix this other than just grinding my way up through .7 jobs?

Also: Can you only apply to Writer Access once? I'd really like to give them a shot but I've only started doing this freelance writing thing full-time recently and I don't have much of a resume built up.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Yeah, 4.5 + sees 5 star stuff.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Dang. Well, it's not that far back up to climb.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

thylacine posted:

What star level are you?

Only 3. My WriterAccess profile got approved at 3 as well, but I also got an automatic Industry Elite approval on something, so, yay?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Only 3. My WriterAccess profile got approved at 3 as well, but I also got an automatic Industry Elite approval on something, so, yay?

You're not going to see much at 3. When you do, grab it and do the most amazing super job you can on it and hopefully get a 5, then you can see 4 stuff.

I'm 3 at WA and it sucks, I barely even log in anymore. Have you tried Textbroker?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

WA even at 4 is barren right now. The only things I see posted are level 2. There are a bunch of level 3 casting calls, though.

The key to moving up in star rank on WA is client communication, so send nice messages when you have an article accepted, etc.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

thylacine posted:

You're not going to see much at 3. When you do, grab it and do the most amazing super job you can on it and hopefully get a 5, then you can see 4 stuff.

I'm 3 at WA and it sucks, I barely even log in anymore. Have you tried Textbroker?

I haven't tried TextBroker yet. My issue is that I don't have a very big portfolio, so it's making the experience stuff really difficult. I was Head Editor of the PC section of a gaming website a while back, which I'm pretty sure is why I got the Industry Elite thing for Gaming on WA, but that's been really the extent of my published stuff and it was a pretty decent chunk of time ago. I want to try to leverage my science knowledge (minors in Chem, Math and Psych in college) and business experience, but since I didn't publish poo poo with either of those I feel like I'm SOL.

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005
Does anyone know if Daily Transcripts is actively hiring? I applied a couple weeks ago and haven't recieved an email with a test.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there just no work on TB and WA? I'm level 2 on both and stopped writing for a while because it was becoming increasingly difficult to get my score back up. Now, when I log back in after a few months, there is literally nothing. Have everyone moved on to greener passages?

Sara T. Biggun
Dec 8, 2004

No bounce, no play
I'm level 3 at both TB and WA, and there's nothing. Hasn't been much all week at WA. Hasn't been much at TB all month.
I only recently got on at WA, wrote my first 2 pieces there last week, but then there wasn't any more work there after that.
My last review at TB bumped me back down to level 3 (I fluctuate between 3 and 4 there), and that blows, because there's often at least a little level 4 work.

But looking at TB right now, there are only 6 articles available in level 4. 1 in level 2. Nothing in level 3.

I'm still on some nebulous waiting list at Writer's Domain... have been for months.

Unfortunately, I found out that I don't hear worth a goddamn, and that caused me to suck a fat one at transcription.

So I started trying to sell poo poo on Etsy. Made 4 sales so far.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I seem to do really well at Transcription work, and it's easy (doing practice tests, and my scores on an AppenOnline qual test 85%) So I'm thinking of going with that, should I do everything in the qualification page to see if they'll give me work?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Even at level 4 on both TB and WA, there's been poo poo-all this month. Everyone's complaining about it on the forums and on Facebook, etc. Textbroker has had a lot of level 4 work posted, but you have to be refreshing constantly because it's gone instantly. WA has cycled through casting calls, and level 5 still has work, but anyone 4 or below has very little.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Is anyone actually working for Appenscribe? 10 hours a week minimum, hmm. Seems steep.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sara T. Biggun posted:

I'm still on some nebulous waiting list at Writer's Domain... have been for months.

People have been on the waiting list since the Summer, I got in sometime in June.

The work is dry there too, as they ran out of work earlier this month. The community is horrible about it too, frequently complaining about how the reviewers are not reviewing their work fast enough, or trying to keep it top secret when the daily drop of limited articles happens. ]

Sara T. Biggun
Dec 8, 2004

No bounce, no play
hmm.

Anyone know where all the writing work is nowadays, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Is anyone actually working for Appenscribe? 10 hours a week minimum, hmm. Seems steep.

Is that 10 audio hours?