Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

skipdogg posted:

SANS is good stuff, not a fan of week long bootcamps though, I much prefer finding a local community college and taking a continuing education course through them for that stuff.

I can echo this, I've gotten my GCIH and GPEN through them as well as taking the first iteration of the wireless security class in Vegas a coupe of years back. It's definitely firehose approach, but you learn a good amount from guys who are actually in the industry and working.

What I ended up doing was marking and flagging my books as we were working through them with places I was unclear, needed followup, or just good to know information. My books typically end up being half again as tick because of the post-its and other things I am throwing into them.

Also, the cert tests are open book, which sounds insane and frankly is but are difficult enough that if you have to reference the books more than a few times you will fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Passed icnd1 today with 850ish. I had a lot of subnetting on mine which made me happy I can do that poo poo in my sleep.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

echo465 posted:

How long ago did you do the test? I've used Sybex in for other exams, but that particular book came out in 2008 and it doesn't look like a newer edition was published. In my attempts, many questions on the exam were on topics that didn't exist when that book was published. It seems to me that Microsoft is updating the tests with new material, but all the focus on study material is rightfully on the new stuff.

I took my 70-646 in January 2012. Man, been two years already...

I've used the ExamPrep and ExamCram brand books in the past and they were quite good about putting things into a usability perspective. I can't speak to if they have 'em for 70-646 or not but if they do, they're fair bets. Just make sure they're updated for R2.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Martytoof posted:

The Train Signal CCNA videos were like the watching paint dry, FWIW. More in depth than Jeremy's, but hoooly poo poo.

I guess Chris Bryant is no longer with Train Signal though, which in itself got bought out by Pluralsight or whatever. I don't really keep track. INE's are good from what I've seen. I'm actually considering buying their CCNP series because I kind of need some videos and I don't think Jeremy is going to gel with me.

If there a way to preview the CCNP videos do, specifically ROUTE which Jeremy covers using GNS3. I typically followed along with what he was doing on-screen in GNS3 and it worked out excellent. TSHOOT not so much but still pretty good, don't remember much about SWITCH.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
I know this was referenced on the last page, but, the thing with Odom is that his books are written a very specific way. I think that if he was better at grouping the information, he could easily cut out 40-50 pages from his books. He will talk about one subject, then in the next subject, a few sentences-paragraph will mention the previous subject. His section about OSPF is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, as it's actually helping me understand OSPF a lot more. I was able to get one of my routers in my lab to have one area with another cisco router, and a second area with an Adtran router. I don't think I would have been able to do that with Lammle's CCNA book...

...which I believe I can safely get rid of.

Edit: Also, watched a preview or two of TS's Joe Reinhart's CCNP videos on YT. He seems like he knows his stuff. Anyone have any experience with him?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
861 on ICND1 :toot:

Time to send out new CVs, I guess. Looking to do the ICND2 in a few months too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Okay, every guide for TSHOOT is bordering on insulting to one's intelligence. I'm guessing the labs are where the meat and potatoes are for this exam.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

psydude posted:

Okay, every guide for TSHOOT is bordering on insulting to one's intelligence. I'm guessing the labs are where the meat and potatoes are for this exam.

There is no new material (other than some ITIL/PPDIOO basic questions). If you can solve all of the BGP/Troubleshooting labs on GNS3Vault you will probably get a perfect score. Just make sure you go in with a plan and stick to the same plan on every ticket.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Anyone know of some good resources for MSCA self learning? The OP doesn't have anything. This site was offered as a good resource for A+ prep, they have a couple things on Server 2012: http://www.mcmcse.com/microsoft/index.shtml

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Martytoof posted:

Oh I'm totally joking of course. Odom is great if you want to learn about the minutiae of a subject. There's really none better. He's just unfortunately dry at times which really puts people off. Myself included, I mean. I can only read about so much miniscule detail before I fall asleep.

And the dryness is compounded by the book being horribly done. Spreading things out into five chapters that could be easily one, maybe two. Also, the examples are bad and the graphics and charts are often unexplained or worse, not really relevant or incorrect. The ICDN 1 and 2 books can't even really be used to study because they're so poorly put together. I know Odom is a routing/switching messiah but his ability to put together a curriculum and corresponding textbook leaves a lot to be desired.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tech Exams usually keeps a pretty up to date list of resources in their forums.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

How is http://edutainmentlive.com/itprotv/ compared to CBT Nuggets? I see it doesn't cover (nearly) as much, but for the stuff they do have? It's half the price.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
pluralsight.com has a ton of stuff and it's $30/month.

Azaka
May 21, 2004
Zerobanger
Anyone here been through getting the CCNP SP? I just got the CCNA SP about a month ago. I was able to get that with just my CCNP CCIE-written R/S knowledge plus the IOS XR Fundamentals book and having spent the last 6 months working on a project on the ASR9k.

I'm more concerned about the CCNP SP since there's no official study material and not really any unofficial material either. I remember the CCNP R/S being a lot more in depth and the simulations I thought were a challenge at the time (still in school, no work experience). I've been working for 18 months now so I have a better base of knowledge than I did back when I was taking the CCNP exams originally but still looking for some additional help.

My plan right now is to go through the INE CCIE SP videos and just play around in VIRL with IOS XR and make sure I can configure the stuff in the exam topics (my CRS-3 project got shuffled around with a 6500 project so I'm not going to be spending my work days in IOS XR for a while). I have SPROUTE scheduled for mid-Feb and am just going to see how it is unless I can find a better source of study material. One of my main concerns is the service provider theory questions that were asked on the CCNA SP, most of them were pretty easy and I think I got all of them, but I don't know that I'll be so lucky on the CCNP SP.

Anyone know of any CCNP SP study material or have any advice?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So, someone who has done the Stanly ICM course, quick question.

Do I need to watch these painful videos or can I just rip through the labs?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Looks like CCNP Security got a revamp:
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/professional/ccnp_security/index.html
Three months before phasing out the books is kind of short.

Initial impression:

SENSS: FIREWALL is exclusively ASA, but this now covers routers, switches, and firewalls
SIMOS: Not much of a change from VPN
SISAS: SECURE updated for ISE
SITCS: IPS with ASA CX and Cisco's cloud security services thrown in

You could get halfway through the CCNP:Sec exams with just an ASA, doesn't look like this is longer possible.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Contingency posted:

Looks like CCNP Security got a revamp:
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/professional/ccnp_security/index.html
Three months before phasing out the books is kind of short.

Initial impression:

SENSS: FIREWALL is exclusively ASA, but this now covers routers, switches, and firewalls
SIMOS: Not much of a change from VPN
SISAS: SECURE updated for ISE
SITCS: IPS with ASA CX and Cisco's cloud security services thrown in

You could get halfway through the CCNP:Sec exams with just an ASA, doesn't look like this is longer possible.

poo poo, I'd better finish up my CCNP:Sec before April, otherwise labbing it is going to be hella expensive.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I bought an S+ book and I'm going to get an N+ one soon. Let's do this poo poo.

Any tips? Do I need A+ first in order to take those exams? I have a bachelors in IS where we had to take a class that's supposedly equivalent.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

skooma512 posted:

I bought an S+ book and I'm going to get an N+ one soon. Let's do this poo poo.

Any tips? Do I need A+ first in order to take those exams? I have a bachelors in IS where we had to take a class that's supposedly equivalent.

A+, S+ and N+ can all be taken individually. For most entry level jobs you don't need A+ and N+ just one or the other (that's just what I've seen, obviously ymmv). S+ is always a must it seems.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Moey posted:

Rip through the labs only. If you bought the course book, it's just a binder of the slides and some explanation. I watched the first two and decided I was done and just blew through the lab in 2 or 3 sittings.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I could use some help.

First up, I don't have a degree. I've been in restaurants for years now, from busser to bartender to manager, and want to make a career change. I enrolled in community college classes and started on an associates program in networking, I'm taking a few basic networking classes this semester. I've also been mulling getting a few certs. I'd really like to start getting some experience soon, and out of the restaurant business if possible.

What's my best bet for getting an entry level job? I was thinking of trying to get the A+, N+, and S+ in the next few months - from what I can tell my classes have a lot of over lap with the N+, and I randomly flew through the practice questions for the A+ to see what it was like, and hit an 85% without having any idea what was going to be on it. Is getting an A+ and N+ cert going to be enough to get me a entry level job somewhere, or am I stuck in my current field until I get my associates? It doesn't even need to pay particularly well, I wouldn't mind waiting tables on the weekends/evenings.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Dramatika posted:

First up, I don't have a degree. I've been in restaurants for years now, from busser to bartender to manager, and want to make a career change. I enrolled in community college classes and started on an associates program in networking, I'm taking a few basic networking classes this semester. I've also been mulling getting a few certs. I'd really like to start getting some experience soon, and out of the restaurant business if possible.

What's my best bet for getting an entry level job? I was thinking of trying to get the A+, N+, and S+ in the next few months - from what I can tell my classes have a lot of over lap with the N+, and I randomly flew through the practice questions for the A+ to see what it was like, and hit an 85% without having any idea what was going to be on it. Is getting an A+ and N+ cert going to be enough to get me a entry level job somewhere, or am I stuck in my current field until I get my associates? It doesn't even need to pay particularly well, I wouldn't mind waiting tables on the weekends/evenings.

You can definitely get an entry level job with those certs. Get them asap if you're comfortable with the material.

Don't put yourself into crazy debt getting the degree, the certs and work experience will determine your career at this stage. That said, if you've got financial aid or scholarships go to school as much as possible. There are also discounts on some cert exams and other perks like that as well as the structured learning by going to school. Like universities, some CCs are really awesome and some are complete and utter poo poo.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Dramatika posted:

First up, I don't have a degree. I've been in restaurants for years now

We're like the same person. I landed my first entry level job (which I start next week) by stressing my enthusiasm and work ethic in addition to agreeing to do the same work the other candidates would for less pay.

Since you're also from the restaurant industry this should sound pretty familiar.

Oh, it's a Jr Sysadmin position that I interviewed for with an A+ and a CCNA. I didn't bother with N+ and I've never even attended a college.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you've got something like a CCNA or a MCSA there's no reason to bother with A+ or N+. They're mostly designed to help you get a helpdesk or desktop job.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

psydude posted:

If you've got something like a CCNA or a MCSA there's no reason to bother with A+ or N+. They're mostly designed to help you get a helpdesk or desktop job.

Well if the government sector is involved it can be good

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

Rip through the labs only. If you bought the course book, it's just a binder of the slides and some explanation. I watched the first two and decided I was done and just blew through the lab in 2 or 3 sittings.

Thanks. I didn't make it through the first video until I decided to just work on the labs. Listening to that guy was brutal.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

front wing flexing posted:

Don't put yourself into crazy debt getting the degree, the certs and work experience will determine your career at this stage. That said, if you've got financial aid or scholarships go to school as much as possible. There are also discounts on some cert exams and other perks like that as well as the structured learning by going to school. Like universities, some CCs are really awesome and some are complete and utter poo poo.

Quoting this for the truth. I'm only planning (so far) to get my AAS (last semester woo!), and then work on certificates. I feel that certification that has to constantly be renewed/refreshed with current and up-to-date information, combined with an AAS, will trump someone that only has a BAS from InDebtHorrendously University from 10 years ago. I also landed my current position with only a CCNA and work experiences, and it required a 4-year degree.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

trunkwontopen posted:

Quoting this for the truth. I'm only planning (so far) to get my AAS (last semester woo!), and then work on certificates. I feel that certification that has to constantly be renewed/refreshed with current and up-to-date information, combined with an AAS, will trump someone that only has a BAS from InDebtHorrendously University from 10 years ago. I also landed my current position with only a CCNA and work experiences, and it required a 4-year degree.

Most companies will let you substitute experience in lieu of a 4 year degree. That being said, it's much harder to land a management role without one, even though I've seen it done.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

Most companies will let you substitute experience in lieu of a 4 year degree. That being said, it's much harder to land a management role without one, even though I've seen it done.

Oh yeah, of course. I'm talking entry-level; getting the foot in the door. I wouldn't even try a managerial position even with a four year degree. Oddily enough, some of the comapnies that I "follow" on LinkedIn post entry level positions that require 5-7 years in the industry, four year degrees, as well as knowledge in areas that don't even apply to the position. It's a silly thing.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Yeah, I was strictly talking entry level stuff. School is super important in the long run, and rewarding too.

psydude posted:

I read it as Dramatika having no certs at all yet. But yeah, compared to a CCNA or MCSA an A+ or N+ wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I have no certs at all right now. Is CCNA/MCSA something I can learn without experience at all? Is that the minimum I need to get a decent job? I still am planning to do A+ N+ and S+ just for the background knowledge, from what I read I don't know that I have the background to handle the CCNA just yet. Also, is that a one or the other cert, or would it be worth looking into both CCNA and MCSA?

I just really want to get into the field as soon as I can, school is going to be a lot easier to finish once I have a more structured schedule to work around. I make a good bit of money working in restaurants, but I'd honestly be happy taking a paycut for a 9-5 job.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Dramatika posted:

I have no certs at all right now. Is CCNA/MCSA something I can learn without experience at all? Is that the minimum I need to get a decent job? I still am planning to do A+ N+ and S+ just for the background knowledge, from what I read I don't know that I have the background to handle the CCNA just yet. Also, is that a one or the other cert, or would it be worth looking into both CCNA and MCSA?

I just really want to get into the field as soon as I can, school is going to be a lot easier to finish once I have a more structured schedule to work around. I make a good bit of money working in restaurants, but I'd honestly be happy taking a paycut for a 9-5 job.

If you're taking the practice tests and getting 80% without studying, study and knock out comptia certs just to get out of the kitchen. You don't need school per se for CCNA but it would be awhile before you got out of the kitchen doing self study, or school either way going straight for a CCNA. However, the comptia stuff is very entry level and you'll need to go further and there are lots of paths and options.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Going for IUWNE (CCNA+Wireless, 640-722) at 3pm today.....4.5 hours to go.

Got 925 on the practice exam, realized that if I'm wanting to click too fast, IT'S A TRICK QUESTION. Slow down, double back.

Wish me luck! Off to grind that CCX features chart some more.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Dramatika posted:

This is all going to vary. I studied for probably about 20-25 hours each on both of the CCNA tests and passed it with no industry experience, but I already knew a lot about basic networking just from my home life and learning stuff from my dad when I was a kid; it might take you less/more time depending on how you study and how much time you have per day.

In my area, yeah you need an A+ along with an entry level cert from Cisco, Microsoft, etc to get an entry level job, or work experience. I'd also say that in my relatively brief time spent job hunting that there are a lot more desktop support roles than networking support roles and generally the MCSA is held in higher esteem for that sort of position than the CCNA.

If your goal was strictly to get out of the restaurant industry as fast as possible without regards to anything else, I would think that going straight for your MCSA would be your best bet, but I'm saying that as a person who doesn't work desktop support and doesn't have an MCSA. You should take a look at the postings on indeed for your area in the past month or so to give you an idea of what kinds of entry level positions are being advertised for and then strongly consider going straight for whatever certifications they require.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I see a few people have been taking ICND2 recently. Did you get any discounts on the testing vouchers through another website?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

There's some useful info in the videos. I'd recommend watching them and go through the labs simultaneously, if for no other reason than to cover two of the major learning styles at the same time. Just so long as you have a good prep book for the exam itself, that is.

Reiz posted:

This is all going to vary. I studied for probably about 20-25 hours each on both of the CCNA tests and passed it with no industry experience, but I already knew a lot about basic networking just from my home life and learning stuff from my dad when I was a kid; it might take you less/more time depending on how you study and how much time you have per day.

In my area, yeah you need an A+ along with an entry level cert from Cisco, Microsoft, etc to get an entry level job, or work experience. I'd also say that in my relatively brief time spent job hunting that there are a lot more desktop support roles than networking support roles and generally the MCSA is held in higher esteem for that sort of position than the CCNA.

If your goal was strictly to get out of the restaurant industry as fast as possible without regards to anything else, I would think that going straight for your MCSA would be your best bet, but I'm saying that as a person who doesn't work desktop support and doesn't have an MCSA. You should take a look at the postings on indeed for your area in the past month or so to give you an idea of what kinds of entry level positions are being advertised for and then strongly consider going straight for whatever certifications they require.

Me personally: if I was a hiring manager and saw 0 years of IT experience and an MCSA, I'd be pressing the candidate very hard. Anyone can open a book, spin up practice VMs, learn the materials, learn more than the book covers, and take/pass the tests, but if you can't explain stuff in the context of how it applies to any professional IT office, why even bother?

I'd say get A+/N+/S+, and that will set you quite well for any entry-level helpdesk/desktop support/depot service job.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
547/1000 on 640-722 when I just finished a half dozen practice tests in the low 900's

Make sure , uh, if you get signed up for a class, that they actually cover stuff that's on the test? I'd say 30% we'd never touched on. labs weren't too awful.

CCNA expires tomorrow. Oh well, it was fun.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow, that's harsh. Sorry to hear it, buddy. I'm sure you'll be back in the club before too long.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

MJP posted:

There's some useful info in the videos. I'd recommend watching them and go through the labs simultaneously, if for no other reason than to cover two of the major learning styles at the same time. Just so long as you have a good prep book for the exam itself, that is.

Me personally: if I was a hiring manager and saw 0 years of IT experience and an MCSA, I'd be pressing the candidate very hard. Anyone can open a book, spin up practice VMs, learn the materials, learn more than the book covers, and take/pass the tests, but if you can't explain stuff in the context of how it applies to any professional IT office, why even bother?

I'd say get A+/N+/S+, and that will set you quite well for any entry-level helpdesk/desktop support/depot service job.

MS also has some "entry-ready" certs called MTA that sound vaguely comparable to A+/N+ but for software support/dev. However, I don't think you give enough credence to someone being capable of diligently sitting down with a foreign tech and a book and learning about it. You're right that a productive worker needs to know how to apply the theory and that only comes from experience, but there are TON of IT workers who can't be assed to sit down and learn new tech diligently. They tend to occupy senior positions (because they're not interested in changing and build up years of veterancy) and need to be counterbalanced by less experienced but more learning-focused workers so you have a well-rounded group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Im doing my CISSP in march. Does anyone have any experiences they want to share that involve Pearson Vue?

Ive been studying for 6+ months, plus real world experience.

Im mainly worried about the ALE, ARO, SLE, managerial bull-crap questions.

How bad is the Pearson Vue test?