Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dakotaboy88 posted:

I didn't know that the CR-Z came with turbo. Did you do an upgrade?

I meant I miss the turbo of the Subaru. I've had quite a few in my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Ah, that makes more sense. You could always trade the CR-Z for a Fiesta ST. It's tiny and gets decent mileage, but still has a turbo for when you want to have fun.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SaNChEzZ posted:

You could also be an eco-weenie and get the 1.0L EcoBoost Fiesta. That way you still get a turbo but you can tell chicks that you care a lot about the environment while taking a corner on the Ohlins rally kit suspension.

edit: For content, a local classic:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 23, 2014

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could also be an eco-weenie and get the 1.0L EcoBoost Fiesta. That way you still get a turbo but you can tell chicks that you care a lot about the environment while taking a corner on the Ohlins rally kit suspension.

There's a Corvette joke in there somewhere.

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

That back end looks pissed!

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

People will certain to confuse it with a Corvette when they hear that 1.8L torque-laden beast of an engine winding out.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
for once its not a Fiero

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Darchangel posted:

Agreed. I love good straight-six, but that M4 ain't it. All sorts of disconcerting raspy, farty noises coming out of it. Definitely still needs some exhaust tuning. How does something like that get past the superior German auditory experience engineers?

That video sounds a lot different to the other M4 clips I've heard so far...and not for the better. I have a feeling they didn't set their mics up properly.

Chinatown posted:

I've always thought that BMW goes way overboard regarding muffling the exhaust of their vehicles. Are European car noise laws very strict given the more cramped nature of cities or something?

Yes, hugely so. That's why you see all sorts of cars (including the E46) with active exhaust systems these days.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Brigdh posted:

for once its not a Fiero

Cavaliers aren't much better, though. At least they aren't trying to rebadge it as a different make.

Actually on second thought that looks kinda like an Acura and now I'm truly confused.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's an Integra.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

That sounds like poo poo.

And ActiveSound is a terrible thing. Total poser bullshit.

Honestly, I am perfectly fine with very quiet BMW M-cars. I much prefer it, honestly. I am not out to annoy people or draw attention every time I throttle up a bit.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It snowed this morning. My 18 mile commute took over 60 minutes, and my average speed was somewhere around 15mph. gently caress every single piece of poo poo that gets on the freeway and goes 15 loving miles per hour because they can't be bothered to learn to drive or buy proper tires.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

I'm going to guess that's the fastest that rolling dust collector has ever gone. :colbert:

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

I really want to say that this is the autoshow prototype they were parading around. That could be why it sounds meh.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Yeah, this thread was the first thing I thought of after hearing that exhaust note. When it comes to engine noise, it should either sound good or shouldn't be heard at all. A sports car at that price bracket should not sound like a ricer shitbox with a fart cannon. Maybe (probably not) BMW will do something about it due to all the negative responses on their fan forums and elsewhere. If Alfa can make a boosted 4 pot sound impressive, then they should be able to do the same with their I6.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I looked a Ford USA's website, and according to the configurator there, you can only get the 1.0 Ecoboost in one color with one trim package. You can't change the color or the wheels, and there aren't any options. So you better like your Fiesta in black.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

Darchangel posted:

I looked a Ford USA's website, and according to the configurator there, you can only get the 1.0 Ecoboost in one color with one trim package. You can't change the color or the wheels, and there aren't any options. So you better like your Fiesta in black.

Henry Ford posted:

Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black

I think it's kind of cool that the basic model is still very basic in some ways, and yet not at all in others. If you look at the interior on the Fiesta, it has more bells and whistles than my FD, and looks like a nicer place to be. If you're in the market for a driving appliance, the low end has some really good options these days.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I don't even see the Fiesta 1.0L on the Canadian website. I wonder when it's coming here.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The new M4 sounds like a BMW inline-6. I don't know why people are surprised??? Of course it doesn't sound like a mean V8.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

No, you can definitely change the color:

And you can have it in either a hatch or a sedan. Otherwise, yeah, you're stuck with the 15" wheels, you can't upgrade much else in the way of options. The option won't even show up unless you start with an SE-trim manual, it's not available on S or Titanium at all, or an SE automatic.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Lightbulb Out posted:

The new M4 sounds like a BMW inline-6. I don't know why people are surprised??? Of course it doesn't sound like a mean V8.

It sounds like poo poo for a BMW I6. My e46 sounds much, much better that that thing. However I would bet if you bolted on an aftermarket exhaust it will sound excellent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

WTF? I was looking at the configurator after the Formula Ford Ecoboost video was posted, and every time I changed the color, it wanted to remove the Ecoboost option.

quote:

And you can have it in either a hatch or a sedan. Otherwise, yeah, you're stuck with the 15" wheels, you can't upgrade much else in the way of options. The option won't even show up unless you start with an SE-trim manual, it's not available on S or Titanium at all, or an SE automatic.

I wouldn't want an autotragic on that little engine anyway. Decent looking 16" wheels would be nice.

edit: It was only the Performance Blue that was the problem. Other colors OK, although, wow, they're charging $400-600 extra fro metallic paints, or anything besides red and shades of grey. Also, steelies only? Really? Not even ALUMINUM 15" wheels? Buy aftermarket, I guess.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 23, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Chinatown posted:

It sounds like poo poo for a BMW I6. My e46 sounds much, much better that that thing. However I would bet if you bolted on an aftermarket exhaust it will sound excellent.

Have you heard the raspy mechanical sounding stock exhaust on an E46 M3? With bonus mid range "rattle" ?

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

This is the only right Fiesta :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

This is the only right Fiesta :colbert:

One of the guys who comes to Cars & Coffee just bought one. I'm gonna see if he's down for a key swap come spring.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Lightbulb Out posted:

Have you heard the raspy mechanical sounding stock exhaust on an E46 M3? With bonus mid range "rattle" ?

Yeah its real bad but easily to eliminate? Stock BMW exhausts are often crap, that's my point.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Chinatown posted:

Yeah its real bad but easily to eliminate? Stock BMW exhausts are often crap, that's my point.

Right, so why are people surprised that it sounds like a BMW inline 6 again?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Lightbulb Out posted:

Right, so why are people surprised that it sounds like a BMW inline 6 again?

Because there's a big difference between "muted rasp in back with great induction sound up front" and "Diesel with an exhaust leak and a misfire" while playing fake engine sounds in the cockpit.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Das Volk posted:

Because there's a big difference between "muted rasp in back with great induction sound up front" and "Diesel with an exhaust leak and a misfire" while playing fake engine sounds in the cockpit.
I couldn't figure out if the active muffler system had speakers playing muffler sound for the inside or outside of the car. I imagined 6x9's hidden in the wheel wells or something with a mic connected to the muffler that amplified the muffler. Or just a pre-recorded sound file that played.

Either way, they really play synthetic audio of a the muffler to the interior of the car?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Adui/vag have an electronically controlled solenoid connected to a steel diaphragm in the exhaust system. It oscillates at a carefully controlled frequency dictated by the engine management to cancel out unpleasant noises and 'enhance' the sound of the car. It's basically a speaker in the exhaust.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Adui/vag have an electronically controlled solenoid connected to a steel diaphragm in the exhaust system. It oscillates at a carefully controlled frequency dictated by the engine management to cancel out unpleasant noises and 'enhance' the sound of the car. It's basically a speaker in the exhaust.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. That makes more sense. That kind of system starts out as "how do we make the interior completely quiet?" You have a mic on the outside and play the inverse off that in the inside and the waves cancel.

This means that the level of ridiculousness I was trying to project on them was kind of unwarranted. It's more "hey we have this noise cancelling system, what else can we do with it?" than the BMW engineers being chav ricers or something.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Starts at $35,000 NZD here :qq:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That's Audi, BMW does in fact just play a sound that's coming off a mic in the engine bay through the speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8XqA7WyLI

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bobbilljim posted:

Starts at $35,000 NZD here :qq:

That's the 1 liter ecoboost, not the ST.

edit: It's $27k nzd for that particular car. that includes the 15% GST, and "destination" charges that aren't included in the american price shown. That's 23773 NZD, or 19738 USD. Subtract the $825 destination charge an american would have, and the $595 paint option he selected, and you're staring at a MASSIVE $1763 USD difference, even though the car has to be shipped all the way to your backwards little island in the south pacific.

You're lucky you aren't still riding sheep.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 23, 2014

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

SaNChEzZ posted:

Also, my own terrible car decisions, or terrible financial decision: Trading in my cr-z for a new STi. I miss the turbo.

drat the expense. I would do that without even thinking.

Gas prices honestly aren't T H A T bad... I hate to admit it but "yolo" does apply here. Being a miserly hypermiler is a cool hobby and all but I wouldn't want to be one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Das Volk posted:

That's Audi, BMW does in fact just play a sound that's coming off a mic in the engine bay through the speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8XqA7WyLI

Yup this. It's pretty loving sad and sort of proves that if you want to sell anything to the masses you have to dumb it down and beshitten it until halfwits buy said product in droves. See: all BMW SUV's, land rover defender, music, countless other non-automotive products.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just hate the kind of person that needs both a tomb-silent luxury car and a raspy race exhaust sound.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Das Volk posted:

The E46 M3 exhaust sound was similarly polarizing, some people drove theirs straight from the showroom to the muffler shop, I think it's just fine (and sounds like nothing else on the road). So I'm not surprised there's controversy over the F8x sound. I' going to reserve judgement until I can hear it in person.

I also think there's a bit of the ol' "$prev_gen_3er was the pinnacle! $curr_gen_3er is just a too-soft, too-expensive poseurmobile!" that's been going on since the E30.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

land rover defender
Maybe a lot of the other stuff they make, but the Defender remains pretty much an agricultural truck, the majority of additions being things that do let it do Defender type activities better.

SlapActionJackson posted:

I also think there's a bit of the ol' "$prev_gen_3er was the pinnacle! $curr_gen_3er is just a too-soft, too-expensive poseurmobile!" that's been going on since the E30.
Quite right, too. Shut up E21 owners, no-one cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Darchangel posted:

I wouldn't want an autotragic on that little engine anyway. Decent looking 16" wheels would be nice.

edit: It was only the Performance Blue that was the problem. Other colors OK, although, wow, they're charging $400-600 extra fro metallic paints, or anything besides red and shades of grey. Also, steelies only? Really? Not even ALUMINUM 15" wheels? Buy aftermarket, I guess.
most 'fuel saver' packages add whatever the cheapest wheels are, because poverty spec = MPG somehow. :confused:

I wonder if the 3cyl will end up taking over as the 'main' engine if it proves reliable? It seems to be a little better, at least as far as bench racing goes.