Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I'll just leave this here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

This is so scary. My first impression of dog brothers was that they are borderline insane and it hasn't changed at all. I think judo hurts enough for my taste.

I don't understand how those guy can train regularly and not be cripples.

mewse
May 2, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

This is so scary. My first impression of dog brothers was that they are borderline insane and it hasn't changed at all. I think judo hurts enough for my taste.

I don't understand how those guy can train regularly and not be cripples.

I feel like I woulda left at "no suing noone for no reason"

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
In some Dog Brothers clip one of the guys told that apparently Dana White was in audience in one of their tournaments and he basically said "This is too extreme, it's not marketable." In every other combat sport getting hurt is an accident, but if you go swinging heavy wooden sticks around with force, accidents must happen regularely. Stabbing with a wooden knife hard enough leaves a mark too, and it can probably even sink in a bit.

Sparring with weapons is super fun though, and if I someday find some suitable training partners, I'd love to do stuff like this. I'd never would want to go 100% though, this kind of stuff is more meant for playing around than seriously and constantly training. If I'd want to go hard, I'd switch to some sort of padded training sticks and soft rubber knives.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 23, 2014

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
All I'm seeing is that baseball is the best base for MMA.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Sparring with weapons is super fun though, and if I someday find some suitable training partners, I'd love to do stuff like this. I'd never would want to go 100% though, this kind of stuff is more meant for playing around than seriously and constantly training. If I'd want to go hard, I'd switch to some sort of padded training sticks and soft rubber knives.

There's way too much danger. I do boxing and there's a guy at my gym that spars too hard and he's taken me out with a body shot. He's got a weird ego problem that isn't being moderated by having the heavier hitters tune him up in sparring. If I can get hurt by someone wearing loving pillows on their fists I will never agree to play fight with someone swinging wooden rods in an attempt to "win" the sparring match. A dude in that video was crushing a guy's trachea with a wooden sword and the victim tapped immediately but that's enough that I would never want to participate.

And the two guys with whips..

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
Been a while since I posted here...

In October of 2012 I hurt my knee in BJJ class. It seemed like something minor, and I figured I'd just teach the classes I did normally and skip rolling for a bit. By November it was still hurting, and I went to my doctor to find out what was wrong. One MRI later and I'm diagnosed with severe tendonosis (tendon damage on the cellular level). Can't do any twisting motions with my leg until it's better, so no jiujitsu. I was allowed to run or bike, or any other straight motion, but nothing that could further the damage.

I was fairly devastated, and it was around then that I stopped reading this thread (roughly 3100 posts ago). As much as I love hearing stories from all of you, and helping out with grappling stuff when I can, it was too much. I also avoided my jiujitsu school and was generally miserable and depressed. My knee didn't hurt anymore, but my doctor had explained that even if I did everything right, it's a condition that can take years to heal. All I could do was rest from twisting motions, and in general losing weight would help take pressure off my tendons.

So, that's what I did. I started using MyFitnessPal to track my food, and hopped on my stationary bike. I eventually got bored with the bike once all the shows I watch went on hiatus, so I signed up with my work's team for the Colour Run. I'd never run before, but in six weeks I got myself to running a 5km race. I also discovered that I really, really hate running, heh. The week after the event, though, I hit my goal weight and shifted to eating the right amount to maintain. I lost 100 lbs since going on break from jiujitsu, and ended up at 185 (the lowest I've been since I was 13).

In November 2013 I went to my Doctor again, and after an exam he said it seemed that I'd healed enough. If any pain returned I may have to give up jiujitsu for good, but I went straight back to class that night. Since then I've been training my butt off (what little of it remains) trying to get back in the swing of things. Three other people at the school got promoted to purple belt while I was gone, and they've been getting very good (while I haven't been there to develop a parallel defence). I've felt like I'm struggling to defend things pretty much all the time, but the upside is that my knee has been fine and it looks like I'm on the path to a long and healthy martial arts life.

Then tonight something happened, and I remembered this thread. I saw someone post something similar once, so I believe this is the appropriate way to announce:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

mewse posted:

There's way too much danger. I do boxing and there's a guy at my gym that spars too hard and he's taken me out with a body shot. He's got a weird ego problem that isn't being moderated by having the heavier hitters tune him up in sparring. If I can get hurt by someone wearing loving pillows on their fists I will never agree to play fight with someone swinging wooden rods in an attempt to "win" the sparring match. A dude in that video was crushing a guy's trachea with a wooden sword and the victim tapped immediately but that's enough that I would never want to participate.

And the two guys with whips..

Yep, going hard with weapons is essentially an extreme sport - or more of an activity, because it's not a sport - and requires a certain kind thrill seeking person to be seriously practised. I sure as hell am not that kind of an guy, a boxing glove in the face is enough for me too and even that feels to be too much sometimes.

On the topic of weapons training though, one especially fun weapon excercise is to place a training knife on the ground and sit with your partner back to back, weapon in between you. On start, you start grappling for the knife: all the strategy of ground fighting goes out of the window because you can always knife the other dude no matter what lock or choke he does. On one occasion, while the other guy was reaching for it, I kicked the knife across the room and armbarred him. You either have get it or get rid of it, and so much of it is about luck, because you never know where that knife goes and it's too vital in the drill to be ignored.

Standup with sticks or knives is similiar: punches and kicks lose a lot of their meaning and the distancing is scewed up big time. You are basically always either outside or just in the kicking distance but kicking isn't necessarily too valid or grappling so close you can only throw. Anybody can also hit pretty hard with a stick, you just swing the thing. Of course there's technique involved, but it seems to be more about distancing and precision than power, but I could be wrong. With a knife it definitely has nothing to do with power, because you just slash and thrust with it and precision and speed is everything. My point is that sparring with a weapon puts the whole thing upside down and size and strenght don't matter that much anymore. Also if you are a good grappler or boxer, it's a big wakeup call for realizing that your skills are extremely context sensitive and putting those things on a different background diminishes them severily. I like that a lot, because it shows how vulnerable you are and it makes you humble. It also forces you to think differently and that's always good. Even if you couldn't give a flying gently caress about self defence, it gives an idea how horrible it must be to be assaulted with an weapon and I think there's value in that.

So maybe not thumbs up for weapons stuff, but thumbs up for responsible weapons practice.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

ManOfTheYear posted:

So maybe not thumbs up for weapons stuff, but thumbs up for responsible weapons practice.

We were doing some work with some bokken today and i mentioned I was having fun (although only a few classes in I am excellently horrible at everything) when another way more experienced student mentioned he had a setup at home for practicing with the real thing. While this sounds awesome how common is it for people to have their own home dojos/ weapons practicing areas?

If its common how do people avoid practicing bad technique? That is to say we have the instructors watching at the gym but not at home. Do martial arts students get together and spar at homes too?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Congrats man!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

generatrix posted:

generatrix's face

So good, congrats, please add to OP

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

hi liter posted:

Yea, but when you do throw someone perfectly its loving amazing and (personally) more satisfying than punching someone in the face or tapping them out.

This but with foot sweeps.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Congrats man! Sounds like your life is going awesomely, and it sounds like your grappling is poo poo hot.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Minclark posted:

We were doing some work with some bokken today and i mentioned I was having fun (although only a few classes in I am excellently horrible at everything) when another way more experienced student mentioned he had a setup at home for practicing with the real thing. While this sounds awesome how common is it for people to have their own home dojos/ weapons practicing areas?

If its common how do people avoid practicing bad technique? That is to say we have the instructors watching at the gym but not at home. Do martial arts students get together and spar at homes too?

Practicing with the real thing? As in a shinken?. What martial art?. And there's no sword-arts that spars with a bokken.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

:hfive: Nice! Also, very clever internet face disguising there.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Practicing with the real thing? As in a shinken?. What martial art?. And there's no sword-arts that spars with a bokken.

Aikido lessons is what we were doing I'm not sure if he does anything else. I believe he was mentioning shinken but not using on each other more on objects to slice as part of a kata. Tameshigri practice maybe here is the wiki i found on the subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tameshigiri
We were practicing paired kata at the gym not sparring. Also sorry if my terms seem a little wonky I've only been to a few classes and I'm still getting used to the names of terms and objects.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've been doing Muay Thai for the last month or so and have been having a blast with it. The gym is Eight Points Muay Thai in Winston-Salem, NC, and the instructor is former USMTA champ Chris Clodfelter - the dude definitely knows his stuff.

Can anyone recommend some decent but economical shin guards? I've ordered most of my gear from MuayThaiStuff.com but it took them like 3 weeks to ship out my order and... well, I'd rather start sparring a little sooner than a month from now.

Also, can anyone recommend a good place online to order custom mouthguards?

The gym also has another instructor that leads BJJ classes, which I might check out. Then I'll have to come back and talk about gis which are so expensive :negative:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Sooo, my physical therapists thinks it would be a great idea for me to switch from judo to BJJ so I might take the plunge... Will be fun to be back to white belt!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

Sooo, my physical therapists thinks it would be a great idea for me to switch from judo to BJJ so I might take the plunge... Will be fun to be back to white belt!

Also, using throws on other white belts in grappling tournaments. :laugh:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Minclark posted:

Aikido lessons is what we were doing I'm not sure if he does anything else. I believe he was mentioning shinken but not using on each other more on objects to slice as part of a kata. Tameshigri practice maybe here is the wiki i found on the subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tameshigiri
We were practicing paired kata at the gym not sparring. Also sorry if my terms seem a little wonky I've only been to a few classes and I'm still getting used to the names of terms and objects.

I could go on a rant about aikido and swords :)..but hey, if you enjoy, good for you.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

QPZIL posted:

The gym also has another instructor that leads BJJ classes, which I might check out. Then I'll have to come back and talk about gis which are so expensive :negative:

Small world, the guy that teaches the BJJ class and also does Muay Thai there, does BJJ in Greensboro with us. We both have the same instructor in BJJ.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I could go on a rant about aikido and swords :)..but hey, if you enjoy, good for you.

Send it to me in a pm I'd love to read it and I'll just ignore the parts that are not applicable to me. I'm just a starter and the more information I get I can apply to later decisions that need to be made. But yeah... I'm just happy to be out of the house and around people who tell me they want to throw me to the floor to my face! I did learn a bit about Japanese sword making and how the number of sword smiths is capped and so s the amount of swords they make.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

QPZIL posted:

Can anyone recommend some decent but economical shin guards? I've ordered most of my gear from MuayThaiStuff.com but it took them like 3 weeks to ship out my order and... well, I'd rather start sparring a little sooner than a month from now.

Also, can anyone recommend a good place online to order custom mouthguards?
There was a convo a few pages back about shinguards.

Try Gladiator mouthguards. $95 for the most gel. I prefer mine to my dentist made one.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Try Gladiator mouthguards. $95 for the most gel. I prefer mine to my dentist made one.

I want to get a Gladiator but I'm worried that I'll be lighting my money on fire by somehow botching the process where you make the impression that they use to create the guard. How retarded would I have to be to gently caress that up? (I'm guessing its comparable to the process you use for an off the shelf boil-and-bite?)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Minclark posted:

Send it to me in a pm I'd love to read it and I'll just ignore the parts that are not applicable to me. I'm just a starter and the more information I get I can apply to later decisions that need to be made. But yeah... I'm just happy to be out of the house and around people who tell me they want to throw me to the floor to my face! I did learn a bit about Japanese sword making and how the number of sword smiths is capped and so s the amount of swords they make.

Basically the (sword) stuff that they teach is mostly made-up nonsense, despite some tenious claims of connections to Yagyu-Shinkage-Ryu and/or Daito-Ryu.

This is what YSR looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn-p19C8MAQ
Here some...well, I don't know what it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixwiw7s2T_Q
This one, you can still see some of the origins, but has so many basic things gone wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UufFQ4xKDms

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

kimbo305 posted:

Oh this is timely; was just thinking of getting one from my dentist. How long did it take them to send you the final mouthguard after you sent in the impression? Is it possible to trim it yourself if it's too large?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, your first gi tournament is going to be amazing.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Kekekela posted:

Trip report

Well turns out one of the 2 times a week u can be there is their takedown training day :downs: and they have the most horrible mats that will destroy my toe faster than doing judo ever will. So I'm provably not going to keep showing up there. Also they were all blue and up and all bigger than me so I didn't get as many big free throws as I did when I tried another bjj places with guys of my weight :(. The gripping was so different, it was pretty cool. Really enjoyed the fact that I had to rethink my whole gripfight strategy. The highlight of my night was throwing the black belt coach with an uchimata :3: I'm sure he wasnt going 100% but you could tell he didn't expect it.

I had quite a bit of trouble dealing with the fact that people didn't seem to give a poo poo getting thrown though. Like I could uchi Mata or ippon pretty much everyone but they would sort of grab the leg and go for some sort of single leg/half guard thing while I enjoyed my sweet throw. I'm so used to throw, let the other get back up Kimi Kara repeat it was fun to do something else for a change.

But yeah, lovely squishy mats will probably keep me away from that place since its going to be even worst for my toes

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 24, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

KingColliwog posted:

Trip report

Well turns out one of the 2 times a week u can be there is their takedown training day :downs: and they have the most horrible mats that will destroy my toe faster than doing judo ever will. So I'm provably not going to keep showing up there. Also they were all blue and up and all bigger than me. The gripping was so different it was pretty cool, highlight of my night was throwing the black belt coach with an uchimata :3: I'm sure he wasnt going 100% but you could tell he didn't expect it.

I had quite a bit of trouble dealing with the fact that people didn't seem to give a poo poo getting thrown though. Like I could uchi Mata or ippon pretty much everyone but they would sort of grab the leg and go for some sort of single leg while I enjoyed my sweet throw. I'm so used to throw, let the other get back up Kimi Kara repeat it was fun to do something else for a change.

But yeah, lovely squishy mats will probably keep me away from that place since its going to be even worst for my toes

Get some sambo shoes and you won't ever have to care about your toes anymore.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Kekekela posted:

I want to get a Gladiator but I'm worried that I'll be lighting my money on fire by somehow botching the process where you make the impression that they use to create the guard. How retarded would I have to be to gently caress that up? (I'm guessing its comparable to the process you use for an off the shelf boil-and-bite?)

If I recall correctly, it's slightly more complicated than that. They give you the material for two impressions, though. I hosed up my first one pretty royally but managed to do the second one fairly well.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah, your first gi tournament is going to be amazing.

I saw a blue belt dude go in a tourney not long ago, his coach was in front of me watching and said to some dude with him "[name] has got like a fuckin' black belt in judo this should be good" he flat wrecked dudes straight into side control. The only guy he lost to was a guy from our gym who cross trains in wrestling and has an insanely good double leg.

Weapon stuff can be fun. We used to screw around with rubber knives and kali sticks all the time. One coach used to use the stick to get inside and then just drop it and look for throws or clinch / dirty boxing. It's surprisingly hard if you've got one stick to hit someone with a collar tie on the same side. If they drive you off balance and I've got pretty decent footwork.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 24, 2014

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
So my teacher wants our club to go to the nationals this year, which is apparently being held in Tasmania. Yesterday I found out I have been doing every single throw I've ever learnt wrong and that I need to learn to do it the correct way so I can get up to competition level. :sigh:

My judo teacher is a great guy, but stuff like this drives me mental. At least for the next few weeks my usual partner is too busy to come to to the Thursday session of judo so we're not forced to practice with each other all the time by virtue of the fact we're the only girls.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Kekekela posted:

They give you enough goop to do it twice if you have a compact tooth/jaw footprint. I have really wide jaws, apparently, so I sent back the original mold free of charge. The goop is pretty stiff when fresh. It's not too hard to get the right pressure on it.

E: I can't recall how long it took. I wanna say 2 weeks between when I sent in the mold. Their customer service is pretty good (back then in 2010, anyways) and they'd probably ship you some extra goop for cheap if you messed up.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 24, 2014

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

BlindSite posted:

I saw a blue belt dude go in a tourney not long ago, his coach was in front of me watching and said to some dude with him "[name] has got like a fuckin' black belt in judo this should be good" he flat wrecked dudes straight into side control. The only guy he lost to was a guy from our gym who cross trains in wrestling and has an insanely good double leg.

We have a guy at our gym like this, but sadly the last time I watched him compete it went like this:

Round 1: A minute of gripfighting, he throws the guy so hard it's like he went into orbit, and then snaps on an armbar while the other guy is still stunned from the impact of the throw.
Round 2: Other guy goes "NOPE" and instantly pulls guard
Round 3: Other guy goes "NOPE" and instantly pulls guard
Round 4: Other guy goes "NOPE" and instantly pulls guard
Round 5: Other guy goes "NOPE" and instantly pulls guard

That was at purple belt though. At white belt it would be so much fun.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
That's exactly how it goes when the Judoka aren't used to training against wrestling shots and guard pulls. I've successfully prepped a couple Judoka for BJJ comps and it's actually pretty simple to beat people who telegraph their intentions with their posture. Here's an easy cheat sheet:

vs Stiff Arm: Bow&arrow kuzushi or armlock
vs Upright Posture: Control the grips (no penalties for defensiveness or cross gripping). Eri seoi nage like Ilias https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5nLpP_TUV8 (YMMV)
vs Hunchbacks: High collar grip, snap down and sprawl into front headlock. Counter shots with sumi gaeshi and uchi mata
vs Guard Pullers: Posture and pass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSXIvsnvjRI. Hiza guruma and yoko tomoe nage

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 24, 2014

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

generatrix posted:

Been a while since I posted here...

In October of 2012 I hurt my knee in BJJ class. It seemed like something minor, and I figured I'd just teach the classes I did normally and skip rolling for a bit. By November it was still hurting, and I went to my doctor to find out what was wrong. One MRI later and I'm diagnosed with severe tendonosis (tendon damage on the cellular level). Can't do any twisting motions with my leg until it's better, so no jiujitsu. I was allowed to run or bike, or any other straight motion, but nothing that could further the damage.

I was fairly devastated, and it was around then that I stopped reading this thread (roughly 3100 posts ago). As much as I love hearing stories from all of you, and helping out with grappling stuff when I can, it was too much. I also avoided my jiujitsu school and was generally miserable and depressed. My knee didn't hurt anymore, but my doctor had explained that even if I did everything right, it's a condition that can take years to heal. All I could do was rest from twisting motions, and in general losing weight would help take pressure off my tendons.

So, that's what I did. I started using MyFitnessPal to track my food, and hopped on my stationary bike. I eventually got bored with the bike once all the shows I watch went on hiatus, so I signed up with my work's team for the Colour Run. I'd never run before, but in six weeks I got myself to running a 5km race. I also discovered that I really, really hate running, heh. The week after the event, though, I hit my goal weight and shifted to eating the right amount to maintain. I lost 100 lbs since going on break from jiujitsu, and ended up at 185 (the lowest I've been since I was 13).

In November 2013 I went to my Doctor again, and after an exam he said it seemed that I'd healed enough. If any pain returned I may have to give up jiujitsu for good, but I went straight back to class that night. Since then I've been training my butt off (what little of it remains) trying to get back in the swing of things. Three other people at the school got promoted to purple belt while I was gone, and they've been getting very good (while I haven't been there to develop a parallel defence). I've felt like I'm struggling to defend things pretty much all the time, but the upside is that my knee has been fine and it looks like I'm on the path to a long and healthy martial arts life.

Then tonight something happened, and I remembered this thread. I saw someone post something similar once, so I believe this is the appropriate way to announce:

Hell yeah! congratulations both on healing and being a MF Brown Belt! That's super cool. I had knee problems this year, so I can relate how scary it could be to maybe never be able to train again. (And as a purple, with so much time sunk into it, it comes as a blow I imagine.) Excited for you!

~~~

The past two days we had a new guy in the class. A total jerk*. Yesterday he was slamming people into the wall, going balls hard on all the newbs and being impossible to instruct. (ok let me see that armbar / scissor sweep so.. /WHAT I'm DOING IT RIGHT!?!?! *Angerface*.) then last night I rolled with him after he went hogwild on a few month whitebelt, kept trashing him around after the round ended so I was like yooo end of round bubba. I was like, welp, guess I need to roll with him because everyone else is too n00b and could hurt themselves. Shook hands, he tried to crush my hand. We started, and we almost roll over some people's legs so I go like hey bub let's calm down and move over here and he jumps up and yells : WHAT DID I DO WRONG?! WHAT THE HELL DID I DO WRONG NOW MAN?! WHAT THE gently caress!?!?!? and I'm like.. dude we almost rolled right on top of them, just courtesy bud. He just kept going hogwild, being mad when I armbarred him every time. A danger to others. When he left, he only shook my hand, ignored everyone else.

Guys like this, you gotta regulate.

Sorry for the rant, but people like that just irk me and I had to get this of my chest... because I don't want to be forced to

(* he's a marine, so you might know the type )

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Congrats!

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Haha wow that sounds like a total psycho!
When we have new (advanced) guys that are going too hard, our coach switches them over to one of the tougher fighters and tells them to calm down.
If they don't, the fighter goes hard too, and after a couple of knockdowns or hard sweeps they always get it and behave.
It seems stupid but it works.
Beginners going too hard get a stern talk and are put on the heavy bag for the rest of the session.
I really like the control our coach has over the atmosphere in the gym. Makes you feel safe.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CivilDisobedience posted:

That's exactly how it goes when the Judoka aren't used to training against wrestling shots and guard pulls. I've successfully prepped a couple Judoka for BJJ comps and it's actually pretty simple to beat people who telegraph their intentions with their posture. Here's an easy cheat sheet:

vs Stiff Arm: Bow&arrow kuzushi or armlock
vs Upright Posture: Control the grips (no penalties for defensiveness or cross gripping). Eri seoi nage like Ilias https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5nLpP_TUV8 (YMMV)
vs Hunchbacks: High collar grip, snap down and sprawl into front headlock. Counter shots with sumi gaeshi and uchi mata
vs Guard Pullers: Posture and pass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSXIvsnvjRI. Hiza guruma and yoko tomoe nage

When I was competing, I would always try really hard to stand and move like a competent wrestler or judoka so when I pulled guard in the first 30 seconds it wouldn't be quite as obvious. I had a pretty good fake shot to x-guard going too (at least at white belt I haven't done it in a while).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

Minclark posted:

Home dojo = pushing the chair against the wall so you have enough room to take a couple of steps without bumping into the furniture. If you use a bokken, you are not a man until you shatter a lightbulb.

For home practice, first and foremost ask the teacher what they want you to work on between classes. They should have some investment in seeing you get better so they'll know what they want out of you. Other than that, don't worry too much about mistakes. If I sign up for guitar lessons and only take the thing out of its case for the 1 hour a week I actually have a teacher watching me, I'll never get anywhere. Same idea. You do the best you can, and go to your next class. They point and laugh at you because you made 100 mistakes and they show you what it's supposed to be. You go home and work hard, and next time you come in its 99 mistakes. You spend a ton of time feeling like you're a talentless hack all while gradually making incremental improvements as the corrections your teachers make become finer and finer. Years later, you either find an old video of yourself or see a new guy on the mat and maybe smirk at it for a second or two and get back to work.

• Locked thread