Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Now I'm wanting the EU4 expansion to have the West British Company decision as India :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Unfortunately the fact that trade in EU4 is directional and can only flow towards Europe would probably make that pointless outside of the comedy value.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 23, 2014

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

I really hope someone does an LP of India conquering the British Isles.

Thinking of importing India CK2-> EU4 made me instantly disappointed that the result won't be able to protectorate England (or probably setup the Indian West Britain company, either)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DStecks posted:

If I were you, I'd try to capitalize on the fact that Rajas is probably the first major Western game release to focus on India.

I searched for games obviously set in India, and all I could find are games where there's a couple levels there. This may very well be the first Western game product to have India as its primary setting.

Seriously, you should put that poo poo in your marketing.

Just be careful that the marketing doesn't cast India too much as a magical, barely understood land just waiting to be discovered. It's pretty easy to slide right into orientalizing everything.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sindai posted:

Unfortunately the fact that trade in EU4 is directional and can only flow towards Europe would probably make that pointless outside of the comedy value.

It's probably too fundamental to be changed outside of EUV, but a DLC that focused on overhauling the trade node system to be more dynamic would be cool.

Honestly, it almost seems like you could set things up so trade collected at nodes, and then your fleets actually picked up the gold automatically and shipped it home, appearing in your treasury when they arrived. Then they could be intercepted, protected with big ships, etc.

They've already got swarms of ships flying around the map, having them actually move the gold/trade goods like CKII Viking raiders would be a logical evolution that would let trade flow more dynamically.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Cantorsdust posted:

I really hope someone does an LP of India conquering the British Isles.

Personally I want to see a raging Buddhist empire conquering the map and killing everyone who won't convert. "If you won't give yourself to Buddha in this life, perhaps your reincarnation will? :black101:"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

"If you won't give yourself to Buddha in this life, perhaps your reincarnation will? :black101:"

If you can get that quote into the game somehow that'd be awesome. The warrior Buddhist sects are pretty wild.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Runemaster: Very cautiously optimistic. The teaser trailer looked fairly cookie-cutter, and with the Kickstarter wave of Pillars of Eternity + Wasteland 2 + Torment 2 we won't be as starved for isometric RPG as we were, so competition will be stiff. The lynchpin here is "procedurally generated emergent narrative" - PDS are currently the uncontested leaders in that area of game design, and if they replicate the CK2 magic in RPG form it will be something totally unique.

HoI 4: Eh, not my series. Call me back when scripted events aren't so railroadey.

EU4 Wealth of Nations: This just reminds me that I haven't played EU4 nearly as much as I should have :(

CK2 India: Quite interesting. I may or may not pick it up depending on the previews and the unique Indian mechanics (or lack thereof), but I am definitely going to appreciate having more context to what is happening in the Middle East. Having Persia just sit there on the end of the world (except for a mongol stack or two) always felt a little off.

I do agree with DStecks that I'm hoping for some kind of diplomatic distance mechanic; genius-harvesting is a really gamey way to play that should have been made harder ages ago. Maybe your knowledge of distant lands and their rulers could be based on a combination of (state) Learning + Intrigue? You could make the minimum distance very generous so we don't go all Magna Mundi "knowing what the gently caress is going on around you is OP", just prevent intercontinental mail-order brides.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 23, 2014

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
On it's own I'm not particularly interested in the Indian DLC (ugh, curry??) but as part of another DLC which expands further east to :china: I'd loving love it.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Don Gato posted:

I don't think I've ever managed to make any form of India in any Paradox game, maybe since this is so much earlier I can forge a massive Indian empire and import that into EUIV when I finally get around to buying that. Then come Vicky III I can have bizzarro-world where the great powers are Asian.

Forming Hindustan as Vijayanagar is pretty easy in EU4, just need to juggle the undying hate the Muslim sultanates have for you after you knock down the closest one (Bahamis) quickly. Diploannexing Ceylon is easy and that gives you more than enough money to move on. Just be ready for when the Europeans start getting "take Indian coastal province" missions!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

After Rajahs I think I'm most excited for HoI IV, weirdly enough. I was never able to get into three (because it was an unwieldy mess) and the retro-interface/lack of mac support on the older games kept me away from them. Hopefully they learn from III's mistakes and don't add another 15,000 provinces or whatever.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I just hope that HoI4 focuses on what the fans want, more provinces, more tech tree theory techs, and a more intricate weather system.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm looking forward to seeing how Wealth of Nations works with Trading Companies, if they'll be like Colonial Nations or just an abstracted mechanic.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Runemaster is going to use procedural generation to create characters, diplomacy, intrigues, etc.? Because that sounds a lot like a major component of Dwarf Fortress' roguelike mode.

Paradox should hire Tarn Adams is what I'm saying.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Runemaster is going to be the only RPG where "Inbred" is trait.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

fermun posted:

I just hope that HoI4 focuses on what the fans want, more provinces, more tech tree theory techs, and a more intricate weather system.

All armored divisions needs to have several stats whose only purpose is to affect unit efficiency in different kinds of weather.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how Wealth of Nations works with Trading Companies, if they'll be like Colonial Nations or just an abstracted mechanic.

The game will be a little... weird if every province you grab outside your home continent gets handed over to a colonial/trade company "nation".

It's a big change from the days of just painting everything your color. Probably a net positive in the end, but... hard to wrap my head around.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dibujante posted:

Runemaster is going to use procedural generation to create characters, diplomacy, intrigues, etc.? Because that sounds a lot like a major component of Dwarf Fortress' roguelike mode.

Paradox should hire Tarn Adams is what I'm saying.

Is it the new studio in Umeå that's going to work on Runemaster? If so, it might just be quiet and isolated enough for Adams' social needs.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Sky Shadowing posted:

I hope we can recreate the Dutch tulip mania :allears:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty excited for Hoi4. Despite being fundamentally broken and flawed, they did an amazing job of making Hoi3 playable by the last expansion and I feel like they've matured greatly as a developer since the initial release.

Not really excited for the RPG, it's outside of their core competence and I'm a strategy guy not really an RPG guy.

Feeling very wait and see for the EU4 and CK2 DLC. EU4 is my last favorite mapgame and I need to see what they plan to do and if it fixes what I don't like before I decide if I want to buy. I'll probably buy the CK2 DLC but I'ld rather have CK2 keep a more narrow focus and improve on depth instead of breadth. The ability to play theocracies and holy orders falls much higher on my priorities rather than dragging in a whole new area of the world where existing mechanics don't really fit. Really needs to be more consideration of range in mechanics so the Norse don't conquer Sri Lanka, there aren't crusades for Afghanistan, and the doge of Venice doesn't end up looking Indian.

I think I'm just mainly disappointed its not Vicky 3 or a Vicky 2 expansion

SickZip fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 23, 2014

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fermun posted:

To be fair to Johan, he has said that the HOI3 weather system will never return.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I hope whatever they do with trading companies, they remain flexible enough so that in my current Cree game, I can make a Cree trading company in Europe now that I've annexed most of the Netherlands. Someone's gotta manage all my new cloth :colbert:.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I should have listened to you wise goons. Spent $10 for EU Rome and installed Wiz's mod(which is what sold me on buying the game) but the game just crashes within seconds of starting a campaign.

I don't remember who but someone asked me what "ratings" I was talking about. I meant the Metacritic scores of the games and EU Rome is only behind CK2, EU 3 and 4, and HoI 2. Plus 79 for EU Rome isn't too shabby. If it would work.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

To be fair to Johan, he has said that the HOI3 weather system will never return.

I guess Winter is not coming.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

India's not exactly my bag, but my wishlist for CK2 is basically all stuff that can be fixed in a patch (decadence, papal mechanics, factions, more events) so I'm not really worried. EU4 expansion and the Viking RPG look neat, and HOI4 could be good.

DStecks posted:

If I were you, I'd try to capitalize on the fact that Rajas is probably the first major Western game release to focus on India.

I searched for games obviously set in India, and all I could find are games where there's a couple levels there. This may very well be the first Western game product to have India as its primary setting.

Seriously, you should put that poo poo in your marketing.

I backed a Kickstarter RPG set in fantasy India but it's pretty low-budget and half the dev team is Indian.

Fintilgin posted:

The game will be a little... weird if every province you grab outside your home continent gets handed over to a colonial/trade company "nation".

It's a big change from the days of just painting everything your color. Probably a net positive in the end, but... hard to wrap my head around.

Honestly, I'd be fine if they just expanded the CoP mechanics for westernization and colonization in the Americas everywhere with some tweaks to fit the region (ie no liberty desire or migrations, rename the ideas, and so on).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mustang posted:

I should have listened to you wise goons. Spent $10 for EU Rome and installed Wiz's mod(which is what sold me on buying the game) but the game just crashes within seconds of starting a campaign.

I don't remember who but someone asked me what "ratings" I was talking about. I meant the Metacritic scores of the games and EU Rome is only behind CK2, EU 3 and 4, and HoI 2. Plus 79 for EU Rome isn't too shabby. If it would work.

This is Rome plus the expansion, right? It definitely won't work with the mod otherwise.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah it's Rome plus expansion. It actually installs EU Rome and EU Rome Vae Victis at the same time and I've been using the Vae Victis one to launch the game. It doesn't have the launcher CK2 and EU 4 have where you can pick mods and DLC.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The steam version of Rome doesn't launch the launcher if I recall correctly, so you need to launch it from the game directory.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Darkrenown posted:

You'd think I'd get used to how mad some people get every time a DLC is announced, but nope, still surprised.

You still haven't come to terms with how racist Paradox fans are? Wait till you release an African-based DLC.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
HOI was the IP that got me into Paradox's library of games, now expanded to eu3/4 and ck1/2 but I can not forget how much a let down HOI 3 was especially at launch. Let's hope they have learned from that because after the amazing games they have built recently it gives me hope to go back to my original time sink

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Necroneocon posted:

You still haven't come to terms with how racist Paradox fans are? Wait till you release an African-based DLC.

To be fair to paradox, 'gamers' and nerd culture in general is hilariously toxic for anyone who is not a straight, white-male.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 24, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I love how there's like no conception at all that there are people from India who might want to play as their ancestors and repel the Ghaznavids or whatever just like the stereotypical Paradox forumers play their ancestors in Saxe-Nowheresburg.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

nutranurse posted:

To be fair to paradox, 'gamers' and nerd culture in general is hilariously toxic for anyone who is not a straight, white-male.

This is in general, to be fair. It's just easier to cast a light on gamers and nerd culture because the Internet makes it easy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

Why would they make an Africa DLC? The only thing the Africans have to do is sit around and wait for a white man with a machinegun to show up!

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
That or sell slaves to them / arabs for said machine guns and to increase their local powerbase.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Discussing it with a friend who I got into playing CK2 around the Old Gods, I realized the aspect of Rajas that has me most excited; since playing CK2, I've learned a lot about European history, just by seeing stuff in-game and being intrigued enough to learn more about it.

Now I can have the same experience with a region I know even less about - CK2 will be the gateway drug into Indian History for me, and that is exciting!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Kainser posted:

The steam version of Rome doesn't launch the launcher if I recall correctly, so you need to launch it from the game directory.

Thanks, got the right launcher and the mod selected now. Only now when I go to make a new campaign it says something like "Rome does not exist at this time" for every country on every start date. The map for every bookmark is greyed out.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Discussing it with a friend who I got into playing CK2 around the Old Gods, I realized the aspect of Rajas that has me most excited; since playing CK2, I've learned a lot about European history, just by seeing stuff in-game and being intrigued enough to learn more about it.

Now I can have the same experience with a region I know even less about - CK2 will be the gateway drug into Indian History for me, and that is exciting!

As much as people complain about geographical inaccuracies in Paradox games, they've really taught me a lot of geography. All the time nowadays I come across references to small and obscure cities in Europe and find myself thinking "Hey, I know where that is! I fought a war over it once."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This is another thing that's awesome as well. For me CK1 was how I even began to be interested in medieval history/history in general, and Paradox's games have been my favorite games not because they are the best games, but the best games for poking around history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Pakled posted:

As much as people complain about geographical inaccuracies in Paradox games, they've really taught me a lot of geography. All the time nowadays I come across references to small and obscure cities in Europe and find myself thinking "Hey, I know where that is! I fought a war over it once."

I've gotten really good at guessing the answers to geography questions on Jeopardy, anyway.

• Locked thread