Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I just watched Phelous's Hostel reviews and a few earlier ones and I have to ask: What is his deal with parties? It's so weird, every time characters are at a a party he's like "PARTY?! MORE LIKE STUPID loving BULLSHIT GOD HOW POINTLESS WHY DO PEOPLE EVEN GO TO PARTIES GOD I HATE THESE PEOPLE ALREADY!" I can understand being annoyed at party cop in Cabin Fever, hit's super obvious his obsession with parties is a joke but whatever, but Jesus Christ dude calm down. He has such low standards for hating people in movies.

Edit: Oh god what a terrible start of page reply. Here's the newest Sage review on Iria: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/anime-abandon/42030-iria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OldTennisCourt posted:

I just watched Phelous's Hostel reviews and a few earlier ones and I have to ask: What is his deal with parties? It's so weird, every time characters are at a a party he's like "PARTY?! MORE LIKE STUPID loving BULLSHIT GOD HOW POINTLESS WHY DO PEOPLE EVEN GO TO PARTIES GOD I HATE THESE PEOPLE ALREADY!" I can understand being annoyed at party cop in Cabin Fever, hit's super obvious his obsession with parties is a joke but whatever, but Jesus Christ dude calm down. He has such low standards for hating people in movies.

Edit: Oh god what a terrible start of page reply. Here's the newest Sage review on Iria: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/anime-abandon/42030-iria
The party thing is a really annoying horror trope, which is what he's making fun of.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

FlamingLiberal posted:

The party thing is a really annoying horror trope, which is what he's making fun of.

I understand that, I guess after the 40th time in the same video of him yelling about it it just start grating on me.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

OldTennisCourt posted:

I understand that, I guess after the 40th time in the same video of him yelling about it it just start grating on me.

Well the thing is he's reviewed like a 100 horror movies by this point (and probably watched hundreds in total) and it is used in sooo many horror movies. Add on top of that that the partiers are usually completely obnoxious and it could start to grate on anyone's nerves.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Jesus Christ, the montage of bear jokes. Cage Month has been the best thing to happen to the Nostalgia Critic in a long time.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Maremidon posted:

On the one hand, the Wicker Man is hilarious. On the other hand, the original Wicker Man is apparently a horror classic, so it sucks that people only know the remake.

I'd definitively recommend the original, it has IMO Christopher Lee's best performance.

As for the remake, I liken it to the room as a movie that does not need a to be skewered in a comedy review. The movie is hilarious enough.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It was weird seeing Noah in an NC video after so long. I always figured Spoonywatch 2012 seriously alienated him from the CA guys. Except Brad, who come to think of it also got a cameo in this episode so maybe that had had something to do with it?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Supersonic Shine posted:

Jesus Christ, the montage of bear jokes. Cage Month has been the best thing to happen to the Nostalgia Critic in a long time.

I just loving love Doug's Cagevoice. It's really hilarious.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It was weird seeing Noah in an NC video after so long. I always figured Spoonywatch 2012 seriously alienated him from the CA guys. Except Brad, who come to think of it also got a cameo in this episode so maybe that had had something to do with it?

Well, bridges can be mended. I don't really follow Spoony, but I thought I'd heard that he'd been relatively sane lately.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

"Papa Bear says you're too conscious!" Personally, I thought the 18 wheeler out of loving nowhere jokes were the funniest. Even when they were telegraphed.

I really hope this means Doug and Noah are mending fences (although from what I recall it was Rob that got pissed and fired him :shrug:), because the two of them played really well off of one another on camera, even when Doug had to talk using Speakonia.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Brad is just a very loyal friend, Spoony gave him his break basically since he posted his Snob videos on The Spoony Experiment site.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I haven't watched NC in a few years, but I thought I remembered hearing something about him quitting the NC schtick. I guess he ended up not doing that?

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Supersonic Shine posted:

That was pretty special. Though my favorite of the bunch was "Wakka wakka, whore!"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I haven't watched NC in a few years, but I thought I remembered hearing something about him quitting the NC schtick. I guess he ended up not doing that?
He did with the last big CA crossover special which was actually good and a nice way to end the character. Tried to start a new show called "Demo Reel", his fans didn't like change, and he was basically forced to go back to the Nostalgia Critic schtick, but with some new groundrules like how every main episode is done every two weeks to give time for writing and there are no time restraints.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Doing the NC burnt him out and he wanted to do other things. Unfortunately, the Channel Awesome fan base is a collection of petulant pissants who freaked the gently caress out that Doug was abandoning the Nostalgia Critic and absolutely savaged his next project Demo Reel, for the absolute wrong reasons though, because Demo Reel was of spotty quality at best. So because the Nostalgia Critic was what put food on the table for Doug and his wife, he decided to own up to DR not turning out to be what he expected it to be going into it and bring back the Critic, but on a modified schedule. Now he only does one NC every two weeks instead of every week, allowing him to put more time into individual reviews, do quick editorial comments and things like Sibling Rivalry and the Last Airbender/Adventure Time vlogs.

e: Beaten like that crazy woman Bear-Cage suckerpunched.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

It should be noted that Doug explained his choice as him mistaking burnout for running out of ideas - that after ending NC he started coming up with these new ideas for it, now that he was no longer pushing himself to the limit making the drat thing. Call him a liar if you want but that was what he said.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I actually really liked his transition back from demo reel to Nostalgia Critic stuff, his sort of meta skit videos are one of the few I actually really enjoy watching. I like how much it shows the divide between himself and the character, which members of the audience sometimes have a hard time doing.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

nine-gear crow posted:

Doing the NC burnt him out and he wanted to do other things. Unfortunately, the Channel Awesome fan base is a collection of petulant pissants who freaked the gently caress out that Doug was abandoning the Nostalgia Critic and absolutely savaged his next project Demo Reel, for the absolute wrong reasons though, because Demo Reel was of spotty quality at best.

To be fair, a lot of NC videos during the burnout period were spotty, too. I think that the switch from a show where the character directly addressed the camera (and used other intimacy-building techniques described in this video) to a less personal presentation made the fan base feel unimportant. Like their imaginary friend was going off to play with other kids.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

nine-gear crow posted:

Doing the NC burnt him out and he wanted to do other things. Unfortunately, the Channel Awesome fan base is a collection of petulant pissants who freaked the gently caress out that Doug was abandoning the Nostalgia Critic and absolutely savaged his next project Demo Reel, for the absolute wrong reasons though, because Demo Reel was of spotty quality at best.
I did watch Demo Reel and gave it a fair chance, but the whole concept was messed up. It was never really clear what it was about. In the last Internet Critic thread, several pages debated the mediocrity of Demo Reel, and one person boiled it down to this: "Try to sum up in one sentence what Demo Reel is actually about." It's not easy, and when you do, it just sounds stupid. Some guy is remaking movies because...? And they have wacky issues doing it because...?

Also, Doug's acting range isn't that broad, so the new character was too similar to the NC. Maybe it would've made more sense if the NC had been the star of Demo Reel, because we'd expect him to have a stupid plan that makes no sense; he cartoonishly operates slightly outside of reality. But even then, it's still weak.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Doing the NC burnt him out and he wanted to do other things. Unfortunately, the Channel Awesome fan base is a collection of petulant pissants who freaked the gently caress out that Doug was abandoning the Nostalgia Critic and absolutely savaged his next project Demo Reel, for the absolute wrong reasons though, because Demo Reel was of spotty quality at best. So because the Nostalgia Critic was what put food on the table for Doug and his wife, he decided to own up to DR not turning out to be what he expected it to be going into it and bring back the Critic, but on a modified schedule. Now he only does one NC every two weeks instead of every week, allowing him to put more time into individual reviews, do quick editorial comments and things like Sibling Rivalry and the Last Airbender/Adventure Time vlogs.

e: Beaten like that crazy woman Bear-Cage suckerpunched.

That's rather harsh. He explained quite well in The Review Must Go On how he got burnt out and felt restricted by the format, and some time off and changing things up gave him that passion again. Cutting back on the conventions and giving himself more time for stuff seems to have helped too, quality wise.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wicker Man is the first NC I've watched since... poo poo, the Digimon: The Movie review, and when the hell did he get an office? :stare:

PassTheRemote posted:

As for the remake, I liken it to the room as a movie that does not need a to be skewered in a comedy review. The movie is hilarious enough.

Having watched Wicker Man, I've got to disagree. It's much more akin to Birdemic than The Room, in that the movie is a series of golden moments padded out with hateful tedium. Nicholas Cage wandering around the island, trying and failing to solve the mystery, gets boring in a hurry. It has a lot of golden moments, but it's absolutely glacially paced.

And it can't be understated how amazingly annoying all the vague forshadowey bullshit is, to the extent that I couldn't even enjoy Tamara's character being a riff on it, because all I could remember is how mad it made me in the actual movie. I poo poo you not, once Cage gets to the island, 100% of the dialogue is either him being confused, him yelling, or the women being evasive. It is infuriating to watch.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The bear joke montage may be the best thing I've ever seen on the site. Holy crap.

Also yeah NC's Cage impersonation is really funny. I'm going to miss Nicholas Cage month. :(

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I'm glad I wasn't the only one laughing like a madman at that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

Wicker Man is the first NC I've watched since... poo poo, the Digimon: The Movie review, and when the hell did he get an office? :stare:
Channel Awesome after To Boldly Flee was able to afford to rent a studio where they filmed some new shows.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I honestly hope NC continues Nicholas Cage month by at least one more review or does it again. There's so much Cage to cover!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

He said on the official fb page that there's one more cage review coming.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maremidon posted:

I honestly hope NC continues Nicholas Cage month by at least one more review or does it again. There's so much Cage to cover!

Nicolas Cage's acting career.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 21, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nostalgia Chick's uploaded her Best of 2013 video.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Jesto posted:

It only allows for producers to see what, which makes me think it's something they would be uncomfortable about the average viewer knowing about. Anyone care to rehost it unlisted on youtube? I get the feeling with something like 'intimacy-building techniques', it advocates for quite a bit of manipulation of your fans.

I think he may have pasted the wrong link. Try this one from a couple of pages back.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

He said on the official fb page that there's one more cage review coming.

The question now is which Cage movie will he end the month with? I'm hoping for either Drive Angry or Bad Lieutenant.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I want a Brows held High review of Bad Lieutenant. There's some Werner Herzogian stuff in there that I'd like to see Kyle analyze.

As for the NC, it's probably going to be I'M A VAMPIRE I'M A VAMPIRE I'M A VAMPIRE, he seemed to have hinted at it in the Wickerman review.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 23, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mutation posted:

The bear joke montage may be the best thing I've ever seen on the site. Holy crap.

Also yeah NC's Cage impersonation is really funny. I'm going to miss Nicholas Cage month. :(

Yea this is his best bit in a long time. It helps that he genuinely loves how insane Cage is instead of some five levels of irony bullshit that a lot of 'Cage fans' do. Like, you watch Nic loving Cage because he's a legitimate nutjob, not because he's some ironic postmodern deconstruction of a character or whatever, he's just a crazy dude in a bear suit, punchin ladies while Braveheart looks on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mutation posted:

Honestly, the joke that really got me laughing was the "Cult of Jawas" one where he slips in a brief clip of Jawa-speak under his narration and doesn't even pause to acknowledge it. That was hilarious. It was just so perfectly underplayed.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I'm currently watching the Wicker Man review, and I'm mystified about why he seems to find the name "Sister Beech" so funny. I mean..it's kind of stupid sounding, I guess, but I thought he was just going to make a joke about the woman having a deep voice.
In a sense I do have to give the filmmaker credit for not just completely re-creating the story, and changing it a fair bit, but it seems to have been changed into a kind of "This is what happens if you let feminists win!" insane morality tale. I'm just glad no one thinks that this is a legitimate argument, and instead, just about everyone recognises that Wicker Man is terrible and insane.
The original movie looks pretty intriguing, I remember seeing it in the video store and wondering about it in the same way that I wondered about The Shining, but...god, there's no reason to watch this one. Well, apart from laughing at how bad it is, I suppose, but to be honest, something like Face Off looks like it'd be more fun.

I wasn't *so* keen on all the Tamra bits, they weren't horrible, but they..just went on too long.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm just glad no one thinks that this is a legitimate argument
I have bad news for you...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a guy on YouTube who picked out a bunch of scenes from The Wicker Man, added a voice over and a couple of pop songs, and turned it into the feel-good summer comedy event of 2007.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm currently watching the Wicker Man review, and I'm mystified about why he seems to find the name "Sister Beech" so funny.

Sister Bitch.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

She always has such interesting lists at the end of the year. I mean that there's zero overlap between a lot of her choices.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Tae posted:

Sister Bitch.

Yeah, I was thinking it was probably that..but really...that's that much of a thing? They didn't even say it like bitch. Maybe if you have a *really weird* accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, I was thinking it was probably that..but really...that's that much of a thing? They didn't even say it like bitch. Maybe if you have a *really weird* accent.

She has the masculine slurry voice, it doesn't sound exactly like it but when she says it in that quick, curt, way it can make you giggle.

• Locked thread