Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Thumposaurus posted:

1. Take a thin piece of paper and a pencil and trace the shape of the cavity.
Transfer that to some thin plastic and use a saw or dremel tool to trim it to die and fine tune with files or sandpaper. That's really the only way to replace an odd ball cavity cover.

2. Check out GFS pickups https://www.guitarfetish.com
They have lots of hotter Tele pickups for pretty cheap.

Thanks. You know I completely forgot about the laser cutter I have full access to. Though are SG backplates really that odd? I feel like they would be rather common.

GFS makes cheap stuff and their demos sound great. Cheap is good for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

With cheaper imports it is hard to find parts like that since they come out of different factories. On a USA made Gibson you'd be able to pick up a replacement cover almost anywhere.
If you make the cover yourself you can make sure it will fit perfectly.
Laser cutter would be ideal for it. You could make the cover out of anything really plastic, wood, metal.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

If you're getting pickups from GFS right now, don't forget the NAMM7 coupon for a 7.5% discount. If you're getting anything clearance or b-stock, you can stack that coupon with NAMM15 for another 15% off as well.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I just set up the intonation on my tele. What surprised me was how much I needed to crank the adjusting screws on the ashtray to make my little clip-on tuner show a difference, especially since tuners take so very little. Anyway, it was easy and fun! Recommended, 4 and a half stars.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Agreed posted:

If you're getting pickups from GFS right now, don't forget the NAMM7 coupon for a 7.5% discount. If you're getting anything clearance or b-stock, you can stack that coupon with NAMM15 for another 15% off as well.

There is a third coupon for 10% some other stuff as well http://www.guitarfetish.com/Giant-NAMM-SHOW-Sale_c_480.html

czarcasm119
Jan 20, 2014

Xabi posted:

Clapton should play the 335 all the time, cos he (still) sounds great with it.

I quite like his voice though, and he played a fantastic solo on I Shot The Sheriff (a song I hate btw) when I saw him live a few years back. He's still got it, it's just very well hidden.

I agree he sounds best with gibsons also with his acoustics(sessions for robert j.) No matter what is said IMO hes the cleanest electric guitar player.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

booshi posted:

Thanks. You know I completely forgot about the laser cutter I have full access to. Though are SG backplates really that odd? I feel like they would be rather common.

You probably weren't using the right search terms, every manufacturer seems to flip-flop on calling them 'cavity covers' or 'control covers' every couple of years. Here's one for an SG:

Musicians Friend link

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 24, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Agreed posted:

While you're at GFS, you can always just buy one of these too.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/SG-Body-Black-Control-Cavity-Plate_p_8859.html

$4 cheaper, and I think it will fit your Epi better.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 24, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How do people feel about practicing with a drum machine/software vs a metronome? I've been doing the former a bit lately, and it's been fun learning about basic drum beats and rhythms. The only downside is that it takes a tiny bit longer to set up.
Drum machines are fantastic for noodling and writing, but I'd stick with a metronome for stuff you'd consider to be core practice so you don't start relying on hearing other bits in the drum beat.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

duckfarts posted:

Drum machines are fantastic for noodling and writing, but I'd stick with a metronome for stuff you'd consider to be core practice so you don't start relying on hearing other bits in the drum beat.

Agreed, use a click track/metronome for pure practice, if you need that - not everybody wants to do weedly weedly or djentdjentdjent or whatever, I'm not saying don't practice if you want to get good, I'm just saying try to know what it is you're after from playing guitar at all so you can set appropriate goals.

Drum machine (or EZdrummer or whatever) can be a lot of fun and also useful for more creative jam practice stuff since the type and character of the beat will inspire you to play more to fit that. Don't let jam practice turn into just noodling the same poo poo over and over though, easy to get trapped in habits that way.

If you can, get a bunch of backing tracks with fun progressions and work on rhythm and lead transitions with those too. There are a ton on Youtube, fwiw.

Metronomes are for precision, the rest is for something between fun and practice, and can really fall more on either side of the line there.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 24, 2014

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I don't know anything about pickups. I want to shove a single coil sized humbucker in a vintage strat that has a diagonal bridge pickup. Does the humbucker mind being diagonal? Will I be considered a criminal and generally a terrible person for ruining a vintage strat with a humbucker? What the hell is a rail humbucker and do I want one of those for playing old metal (Priest, Maiden at the heaviest)?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I don't know anything about pickups. I want to shove a single coil sized humbucker in a vintage strat that has a diagonal bridge pickup. Does the humbucker mind being diagonal? Will I be considered a criminal and generally a terrible person for ruining a vintage strat with a humbucker? What the hell is a rail humbucker and do I want one of those for playing old metal (Priest, Maiden at the heaviest)?

No, no, you are wise and just, it has rails instead of polepieces for better string alignment, yes.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Rail pickups seem to have smoother bends and less twang to me. Then again some people like mis-spaced pole pieces and use regular pickups instead of F-spaced with a floyd rose to get extra low end growl with high gain.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

I'm debating this as well. I mean... I have a new amp now that I love for many reasons, one being that it can provide me tone paths that can make my current single-coil bridge pickup sound tolerable, but I still would prefer something smoother.

Anyway, I've been sitting here going back and forth on if I should bucker the Strat, or just get a second dual-bucker guitar for those sounds.

Unrelated, on the learning and playing front:

The 9's are finally starting to drive me crazy! I'm graduating to 10's tomorrow! Full setup and trem re-float incoming!

I'm approaching a year in to being fairly focused on guitar, which is to say I work on it about an hour a night when I can. My fretting hand has become quite comfortable with various minor pentatonic shapes, transition patterns, etc... and I've been working lightly on learning some more common riffs. I'm also becoming quite comfortable with various major, minor and other-modal patterns as well, though I haven't waded into riffland with any as of yet (obviously minor pentatonic can go dorian in a heartbeat, so there's some applicability to what I'm already working on. I'm also becoming comfortable with various chord forms all the way up into expanded triadic forms, and have been working on how to voice them appropriately for transitions in chord progressions on guitar.

Finger independence is coming along. Speed is coming along, both in flat picking and hammer on/off legato runs.

But... I feel stuck. I feel plateau'd. I feel blocked.

I have sat and listened to various tunes to put ideas into my head. I mean, I can sit here and listen to any decent blues player of the last 50 years and go "yep, he's going 4-5-1-5-1-3-1.... pull 7, retreat 7, hammer off 5, 4-3" (scale enumeration, not fret), or whatever... know what they're doing, go home and work it out and just find nothing in it. Very much so with blues. It happens with other things as well though.

Anyway, it's probably a lot to do with playing in a vacuum. I pulled down an album's worth of backing tracks off of Amazon. I'm going to try them to see if that kind of shakes things loose. I suspect that not having the chordal context coming into my ear at the same time as the guitar is what's probably messing with me (I can hear changes in my head, but apparently it isn't the same). I'm also going to see if I can't score more main screen time on the TV for Rocksmith session mode.

I dunno. I realize I've probably gone totally backwards at guitar compared to most. Maybe it's time to sit down and learn some songs, as simple as that sounds, and take a break for working technique like hell.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's a little bit like analysing a great piece of writing and going 'ok so that's subject past-simple verb preposition article object adverb' - technically true and important stuff to get down in your head, but it's not really the point! Blues is a good example of a lot of people taking a fairly basic form and producing all kinds of great things, even with the same sequence of notes

You need some inspiration I reckon. Get in a dark room with the relaxant of your choice and just noodle for a while. Maybe try listening to some singers who inspire you, and try to copy their vocal lines on guitar. Learn to mimic their expression

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

How vintage is this vintage strat?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

baka kaba posted:

That's a little bit like analysing a great piece of writing and going 'ok so that's subject past-simple verb preposition article object adverb' - technically true and important stuff to get down in your head, but it's not really the point! Blues is a good example of a lot of people taking a fairly basic form and producing all kinds of great things, even with the same sequence of notes

You need some inspiration I reckon. Get in a dark room with the relaxant of your choice and just noodle for a while. Maybe try listening to some singers who inspire you, and try to copy their vocal lines on guitar. Learn to mimic their expression

Psst... don't tell anyone, but I did 2.5 years of theory and composition in college, and that's just the formal part. I've been tearing apart pieces of music since grade school. I think I bought (and read in its entirety so very many times) my first book on baroque counterpoint when I was 14? Oi... I really have a hard time turning it off.

As silly and cliché as it sounds, my inspiration is David Gilmour. I can throw on any Pink Floyd, or anything else he's done (Metallic Spheres CD with the Orb is a hoot for anyone who might also dig electronica), can tell exactly what he's doing... and not care. For me, that's a big deal.

This honestly also might just be my writing itch showing its ugly head again after more than a decade confined to my subconscious.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Seymour Duncan makes AWESOME single-coil sized humbuckers, BUT it won't sound like a Strat anymore, if that matters to you at all.

Check out Lace Sensors, I put a red one in mine and I've been really REALLY happy with it for heavier sounds, but again, I was determined to find a single-coil because I want to keep that Strat signature (isn, anyway) sound as intact as possible.

If it's truly 'vintage', please don't route it for a humbucker, just don't. Hell, you probably don't have to route it anyway, depending on what year it is, pop the pick guard off and take a gander at the routes underneath.

Anyway, no, a slanted single-coil sized hum bucker will have no issues, I played an old Strat Deluxe (or whatever, from the 90s) with a slanted SD in it and it sounded really good.

Incidentally, speaking of changing out components on a guitar:

Dear Gibson:
Re: ABR-1 v/s Tune-o-Matic

Please go die.

Thank you.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

jwh posted:

How vintage is this vintage strat?

Oh it's vintage in style only, made in 2013.

Thanks for the replies folks, I'll check out a rail SD and that Lace Sensor and probably pick up either.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I have one of those inexpensive plastic string winders and always forget it has a bridge pin puller built in. Will have to try to remember that next time I change the strings on my acoustic.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Am I the only one where who turns into a 12 year old when labeling presets?

I feel like loving Beavis or something but I just can't resist. Every single time.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Is it followed by Mr.Clean? :colbert:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Oh it's vintage in style only, made in 2013.

Thanks for the replies folks, I'll check out a rail SD and that Lace Sensor and probably pick up either.

In that case, do whatever you want to it. Paint flames on the sides, install a Bigsby, Pokemon stickers, etc.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

Is it followed by Mr.Clean? :colbert:
It loving will be now!!!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

jwh posted:

In that case, do whatever you want to it. Paint flames on the sides, install a Bigsby, Pokemon stickers, etc.

Don't forget the pearloid pickguard. :barf:

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 24, 2014

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Alleric posted:

But... I feel stuck. I feel plateu'd. I feel blocked.

I dunno. I realize I've probably gone totally backwards at guitar compared to most. Maybe it's time to sit down and learn some songs, as simple as that sounds, and take a break for working technique like hell.

Maybe it's time to start working on a band or music project of your own? Try recording your own music and playing with others, even if its just covers. Whenever I feel plateaud I usually just try to forget so much about working on scales, technique etc and just try to have fun with music in general. Try not to force yourself, learn to improvise and jam. One caveat is you will have to put in a lot more time when practicing in this manner (to improve much on technique).

The feeling of having plaeaud should go away after a period of time, let the muscle memory sink in, it usually takes a few months to settle in and become natural, so don't worry much.

Also the advice of one of my hard rear end teachers. "Well, I guess you can't develop any more arm muscles, i guess you just don't have the talent, I guess you can't cut it. Just give up, then!" he said with a grin. That motivated me to continue working on it more than anything, of course his point.

coolbian57 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 25, 2014

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

coolbian57 posted:

Maybe it's time to start working on a band or music project of your own? Try recording your own music and playing with others, even if its just covers. Whenever I feel plateaud I usually just try to forget so much about working on scales, technique etc and just try to have fun with music in general. Try not to force yourself, learn to improvise and jam. One caveat is you will have to put in a lot more time when practicing in this manner (to improve much on technique).

The feeling of having plaeaud should go away after a period of time, let the muscle memory sink in, it usually takes a few months to settle in and become natural, so don't worry much.

Also the advice of one of my hard rear end teachers. "Well, I guess you can't develop any more arm muscles, i guess you just don't have the talent, I guess you can't cut it. Just give up, then!" he said with a grin. That motivated me to continue working on it more than anything, of course his point.

Yep. I don't have contemporaries that play, so I'll probably go down the route of getting some recording software and beginning to track my own stuff.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Ugh. Took the Gold Top to a gig tonight and the action was too high. Knew it was too high. Played it anyway. Was loving up all night.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Alleric posted:

Yep. I don't have contemporaries that play, so I'll probably go down the route of getting some recording software and beginning to track my own stuff.
Tons of avenues there, there are a lot of communities online that collaborate via the internet.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Just started re-learning guitar about a month ago and I'd forgotten how much fun it is. I stopped a few years ago because I was playing lefty and I broke the hell out of my right hand (Had to rebuild my ring finger with a bone from my wrist) so making chords and what not became a bit too tricky. So I've started learning as a righty now. On the downside, I'm a complete beginner again and everything feels weird/wrong. On the upside, there are now a whole vista of guitars out there that I'll potentially be able to play now instead of the usual tiny array of lefty guitars.

The real guts of this post though is that I just grabbed a Yamaha THR10 (the regular one) and I just can not believe what this thing sounds like. Tiny form factor, but sounds absolutely wonderful with a really nice range of emulated amps. Best thing about it too is that it sounds great at the kind of volumes you want to play with when you're just in your home. Every other practice amp I tried had either a pretty thin sound at low volumes or became really buzzy at high volumes. This thing was that perfect middle ground. I've only just scratched the surface of it (Haven't used any of the software packages yet) but it is absolutely fantastic.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
That brings up a strange question for lefty people. I am more or less naturally left handed (I have broken both wrists so I have more or less taught myself to use either, but I favor left) but I was taught on right handed guitars. I never really had a problem because it seems to me that it takes equal effort to strum or get fingers on frets, but a lot of people really insist on left handed guitars. I know that supposedly Joe Strummer thinks he was not as good of a guitarist having played on right hand guitars, but it just feels like a total cop out to me. Does it actually make a significant difference? I just have a hard time seeing why.

Either way I am just sticking with right hand guitars, it is cheaper, I have more selection, etc. When I was younger, I was going to restring my strat like Hendrix originally did, but it just does not seem worth the hassle.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If it's what you're used to it doesn't matter.

Off the top of my head Mark Knopfler and Unknown Hinson are lefties who play right handed and they seem to get by alright.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Coming at it as someone who is naturally left handed, it's a bit of a trade off. So far I think it is actually slightly easier to make chords with your preferred hand but it also means that your preferred hand is getting beat up by the sheer process of playing/learning.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Pretty much every other instrument in history has been designed to play exclusively "right handed" so I don't really buy the idea that there's an inherent ceiling for people who fret with their dominant hand

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I'm a lefty who plays right handed and it's never been a problem or something that I've really noticed. I'm pretty ambidextrous though so if you depend on your left gun to do most stuff you'd probably want a proper lefty guitar.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Righty gone lefty is humbling, right hand perfectly mirroring all these muscle memories for the left hand, but the simple act of rhythm strumming with the left was like having a wood block for a hand.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Got this for a great price on eBay. Needs a solid setup though. Took it to a gig last night and shouldn't have and, well, I paid the price. It sounds phenomenal, regardless, and am about to drop it off to a newly recommended luthier.

Graphtech bridge, Bigsby, Seymor Duncan P90s.

Pics of the family

The '54 will be getting Bigsby'd soon.

The cat will be getting Bigsby'd soon.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 25, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Way cool. I'd play the poo poo out of that, but I'd tune it down to like G and get sludgey as gently caress

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Even with the Bigsby? :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Absolutely. Bigsbys look cool