Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there any hint of the "Jesus-y" stuff from the original showing up in this remake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there any hint of the "Jesus-y" stuff from the original showing up in this remake?

It seems like you can read a "Paradise Lost" narrative much more easily, what with Robocop in this film being explicitly created as a machine to serve which has a (more) pleasant demeanor than some similar creations.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

iastudent posted:

E: Not sure if I'm missing something, but I thought the new release had both the theatrical and uncut versions. Unless "deleted scenes" is just the bits from the uncut.

It was supposed to, according to blu-ray.com, but now I can find no trace of that so they might have put it on in error and removed it before having the facts. Which is beyond disappointing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Slim Killington posted:

It was supposed to, according to blu-ray.com, but now I can find no trace of that so they might have put it on in error and removed it before having the facts. Which is beyond disappointing.

This is really weird as besides the Criterion release there have been at least two subsequent DVD releases that are the unrated cut. Did blu-ray.com just want to get some easy sales on classic RoboCop fans or something?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Wait, the suit on Prime Directives is from the movies? Really? It looks way cheaper.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It used pieces, I think, but not the entire thing. A lot of parts like the neck got worn out during production.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slim Killington posted:

Oh no, it's theatrical only? :smith:

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh no, it's theatrical only? :smith:

It's the unrated cut there's just no theatrical cut option (that I noticed).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Safe Driver posted:

It's the unrated cut there's just no theatrical cut option (that I noticed).
Oh! Well then I'm totally fine with that! :)

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Yeah I misread you wrong too, I thought you meant theatrical only. I hadn't gotten to open it yet.

Oh, the IMAX poster is out:

It's pretty terrible!

edit: hi-res link

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 22, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slim Killington posted:

It's pretty terrible!
Is that a still from Cowboy Bebop's opening credits?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Slim Killington posted:

Yeah I misread you wrong too, I thought you meant theatrical only. I hadn't gotten to open it yet.

It's pretty terrible!

I like it :( But it doesn't seem to fit at all with the tone of the movie. Just like the music in that terrible action scene posted earlier in the thread.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I think that's a pretty good poster, for me it evokes a kind of 80's aesthetic. Kind of reminds me of Buckaroo Banzai, I think. Seems pretty distinct--don't think a lot of other posters are going to be going for something that stark.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slim Killington posted:

It used pieces, I think, but not the entire thing. A lot of parts like the neck got worn out during production.

The RoboCable suit is a new casting, made with carbon fiber to make it light. The RoboCop suit in Prime Directives is one of Bottin's originals made for Weller.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Posters done in that stark style are usually desaturated or grey.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

The RoboCable suit is a new casting, made with carbon fiber to make it light. The RoboCop suit in Prime Directives is one of Bottin's originals made for Weller.

It bums me out every time I think about it. Such a horrible thing.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Right, thanks. I knew it was something along those lines. I remember someone talking about the rubber pieces eroding from use and having to be replaced. I actually liked the finish on the RoboCable suit better than the original.

edit: updated poster link above to hi-res version

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

They released a Novak Element segment on the RoboCop Facebook. Everyone who claims that the new film isn't going to have the same satire as the original needs to see this (or whenever it gets posted on YouTube).

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 23, 2014

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Kinnaman's Weller influence really comes through in some of his delivery, and that makes me happy. I love that some of the people involved are such big fans of the original, even if the studio is making GBS threads on everything they wanted to do. Having the old one-liners and an actor who wants them to sound like the old one-liners gives me warm fuzzies.

edit: also the VFX in the Novak Element scene above is actually pretty drat nice looking, which is refreshing after how atrocious some of the poo poo in the trailer was. I'm really hoping Black Rush Limbaugh causes a few politards to have tantrums about the character.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

It's pretty terrible!

edit: hi-res link

I dont know what youre talking about, because that poster is loving awesome!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Here he is vs. a LOT of 209s. Kinda corndog. I like how hitting a few stairs can fly a motorcycle 100 yards.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Riveting stuff!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Robocop killing a bunch of ED-209s (and a security guard!)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=711180412248097

The action looks.... fairly well done... what the hell. :aaa: Good sounds as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wow, this might not be as bad as expected?

Yeah right.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

The action looks.... fairly well done... what the hell. :aaa: Good sounds as well.

Looks like he tasered the security guard; I really don't like this Robocop from what they've been releasing but maybe I'll be surprised just maybe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah on second viewing I heard the "zap" sound.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Vintersorg posted:

Looks like a video game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vintersorg posted:

:stare:

I think that's the first clip to actually get me a bit excited for this movie. Although based on the other clips I've seen, I'm not expecting the whole thing to look this good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't like the action scenes in this but I do like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu76PrcoQDg

Keaton has returned.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't like the action scenes in this but I do like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu76PrcoQDg

Keaton has returned.
Two good clips in a row, hmm...

Maybe this movie will be an EKG of quality.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hope everyone else's performance is as out of control as that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The action scene wasn't that great...but it wasn't that bad either. It was clear, and edited fairly well (despite normal EPK shortening). The Keaton clip was good though. He may make the film worth watching if it sucks.

You know, I might go in optimistic here. The RoboCop blu ray came with 7 bucks to shave off of the ticket, so what the hell. Down a few beers, watch RoboCop drunk...could make me feel less bitter about it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
There is a lot of Jobs there but definitely Keaton making it his own.

The only thing that I feel is really missing in the ED209 clip is Weller's presence, his delivery of words as robocop combined with his accent is fantastic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

You know, I might go in optimistic here. The RoboCop blu ray came with 7 bucks to shave off of the ticket, so what the hell. Down a few beers, watch RoboCop drunk...could make me feel less bitter about it.
Where? I got mine in from Amazon today and I don't see any coupon :( There's no insert inside the case and there wasn't any sticker on the shrinkwrap for that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm liking that the EDs still have the roar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

echoplex posted:

The only thing that I feel is really missing in the ED209 clip is Weller's presence, his delivery of words as robocop combined with his accent is fantastic.

Weller became my favorite actor when I was a kid based on his presence in Robocop alone. I will watch absolutely anything that man acts in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Where? I got mine in from Amazon today and I don't see any coupon :( There's no insert inside the case and there wasn't any sticker on the shrinkwrap for that.

I got mine at Best Buy. I guess they are the one's doing the promotion stuff. Sorry dood. :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

I got mine at Best Buy. I guess they are the one's doing the promotion stuff. Sorry dood. :(
Oh well. I've still got an AMC gift card I need to use up. Planning to do so by seeing this in IMAX, just 'cuz. If it's a poo poo movie, oh well, at least it will have (probably) looked and sounded nice. If it's an alright movie, I might like it even more because of the way it looked and sounded. And if it's great, well then I'll have seen it the best possible way I could in theaters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hope everyone else's performance is as out of control as that.

loving love Keaton.

Rhyno posted:

Weller became my favorite actor when I was a kid based on his presence in Robocop alone. I will watch absolutely anything that man acts in.

Hey, me too! Well, that and my dad was a huge fan of Buckaroo Banzai and we watched that film a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lotish posted:

Hey, me too! Well, that and my dad was a huge fan of Buckaroo Banzai and we watched that film a lot.

My dad thought it was too weird and didn't let me watch it for a long time. poo poo, I even paid to see Screamers on the big screen.

• Locked thread