Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Could people please stop going "the ending of LR is like XXX or YYY"? If you want to discuss the ending of a game that isn't even out in the West yet you could do that entirely in spoiler tags. I have a pretty good idea about what's going to happen even if I haven't read anything behind the spoiler tags! I want to be able to enjoy the insanity without knowing what's going to happen beforehand. Here, have a screenshot of one of the very few decent costumes in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Could people please stop going "the ending of LR is like XXX or YYY"? If you want to discuss the ending of a game that isn't even out in the West yet you could do that entirely in spoiler tags. I have a pretty good idea about what's going to happen even if I haven't read anything behind the spoiler tags! I want to be able to enjoy the insanity without knowing what's going to happen beforehand. Here, have a screenshot of one of the very few decent costumes in the game.

Unless I'm missing something, aren't people discussing the ending to 13-2, and not LR?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Unless I'm missing something, aren't people discussing the ending to 13-2, and not LR?

People have been bringing up the ending of LR a lot too and it can be hard to distinguish the two spoiler-wise.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I certainly was talking about 13-2.
There are no words suitable to discuss LR's ending.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was talking about earlier in the thread. Sorry about the confusion. Anyway, I enjoyed the demo, mostly for the battle system. There definitely is some room for different strategies depending on you choice of costumes/abilities.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Aurain posted:

I certainly was talking about 13-2.
There are no words suitable to discuss LR's ending.

Sure there is: je ne sais quoi.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

haha, yeah, that'll do it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Another phrase would be : live free or die harder, with a vengeance, this time it's for real.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Thanks for the views on LR's combat system. Sounds pretty good but I guess actually playing would be a good idea at some point. Might have to get the demo and give it a whirl, but it certainly seems like I'd want to play it eventually.

edit: also I am a sucker for customisation and that's always a good draw for me on a game. I hope you can wear silly hats in all the cutscenes.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
If its anything like XIII-2 (which it probably is to save money), there will be a CGI opening cutscene, and a CGI ending cutscene, and everything else is in-game, so go nuts with looking dumb.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I picked up the iPad version of FFT a few days ago. Am I crazy, or is everything except the hand-drawn cutscenes running too fast? Everyone animates quickly and the spell effects are practically there and gone in a blink.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Ciaphas posted:

I picked up the iPad version of FFT a few days ago. Am I crazy, or is everything except the hand-drawn cutscenes running too fast? Everyone animates quickly and the spell effects are practically there and gone in a blink.

SE increased the game speed in comparison to the original version and the slowdown ridden PSP version. It's most notable when using summons and during in-game cutscenes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

This is a good thing: FFT is dreadfully slow.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sunning posted:

SE increased the game speed in comparison to the original version and the slowdown ridden PSP version. It's most notable when using summons and during in-game cutscenes.

So they "fixed" the spell animations, which were specifically coded to run slow for some reason, by increasing the speed of everything? Amazing. SE is amazing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I was thinking the in-game cutscenes looked a bit silly, with NPCs positively blitzing everywhere. :v:

Oh well, it's still FFT, and I can still try again to play it. I didn't really understand the story at all when I played the original--I've only recently come to understand it's some sort of Jesus and Judas allegory, but the political bits kind of elude me anyway :saddowns:--and haven't played the WotL version, so I'm looking forward to it. Those hand-drawn cutscenes are lovely :allears:

Too bad I'm rear end at tactics games. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 24, 2014

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

They said it was going to be like that at first, but then for whatever reason they added in a ton of loopholes so you can actually see everything in one run.

This is probably because they realized that The Average Consumer does not play games twice, let alone even more. Although I wonder if any average consumer would even buy the game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Final fantasy players are definitely below average consumers

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

fronz posted:

Final fantasy players are definitely below average consumers

I laughed...then I cried because that's me. I tried the demo for LR, liked it, and pre-ordered the game to get the stupid Cloud costume. I am not smart with money.

About to start XIII for the first time, too. The XIII games are the only FF games from the series I haven't played. Gonna burn through them all in a row. :getin:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I saw the combat trailer for LR. I couldn't really get how the system is different, though perhaps I need to have played the other two XIIIs to understand it. But really, it just makes me wish Squeenix would make a character action game instead. I'd be totally down for a Final Fantasy-themed character action game, if it were good at least.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Butt Ghost posted:

I saw the combat trailer for LR. I couldn't really get how the system is different, though perhaps I need to have played the other two XIIIs to understand it. But really, it just makes me wish Squeenix would make a character action game instead. I'd be totally down for a Final Fantasy-themed character action game, if it were good at least.

Well consider your wish granted, man. FF15.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also Kingdom Hearts.

Also Dirge of Cerberus. :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Also Kingdom Hearts.

Also Dirge of Cerberus. :v:

And to a sort of less extent FF13-3, if the Demo's any indication. Like you can move her around, every 'class' has it own guard/dodge/block and multiple attacks you can set in. It's a really interesting blend of action gameplay and FF13's.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ciaphas posted:

I was thinking the in-game cutscenes looked a bit silly, with NPCs positively blitzing everywhere. :v:

Oh well, it's still FFT, and I can still try again to play it. I didn't really understand the story at all when I played the original--I've only recently come to understand it's some sort of Jesus and Judas allegory, but the political bits kind of elude me anyway :saddowns:--and haven't played the WotL version, so I'm looking forward to it. Those hand-drawn cutscenes are lovely :allears:

It's at its' roughest when you're first starting out and don't have much leeway with jobs and abilities, but as you progress and open up more jobs (and recruit characters with custom default jobs), it becomes a lot more manageable.

Also, always keep at least two current saves at all times. There'll be some real ball-busting multi-part battles that you'll be locked into once you start them, which could potentially screw you over if you're not up to the task for the latter parts and don't have an earlier save to fall back on.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Finally had a chance to try out the LRFFXIII demo. It's an interesting break from the usual FF combat system (even Dirge of Cerberus doesn't really compare since it was a shooter). There's a lot of complexity with the Schemas and I can see myself spending a lot of time working out the perfect setup of classes. If you go to the Amazon page for the game you can download the 22-page mini guide and get a short preview of the game mechanics.

Still not sure if I plan to get this on release since it's so close to Bravely Default but it's a good possibility.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I didn't really understand the story at all when I played the original--I've only recently come to understand it's some sort of Jesus and Judas allegory, but the political bits kind of elude me anyway

Two men, one a noble, one a commoner with a noble upbringing, are friends. They see the incredible injustice inherent to the system of nobility, and realize that they are both pawns in the hands of larger players. One of them just walks away and lives his life as a mercenary. The other decides to do the opposite and become the biggest player of all. The game ends with the latter wondering if he made the right choice.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Regalingualius posted:

It's at its' roughest when you're first starting out and don't have much leeway with jobs and abilities, but as you progress and open up more jobs (and recruit characters with custom default jobs), it becomes a lot more manageable.

Also, always keep at least two current saves at all times. There'll be some real ball-busting multi-part battles that you'll be locked into once you start them, which could potentially screw you over if you're not up to the task for the latter parts and don't have an earlier save to fall back on.

Specifically, if just after a fight it asks you to save, for fucks sake make a new file.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Alright, I looked at some gameplay videos, and I get how LR's battle system works. I thought it was turn-based after watching today's trailer. I may give it a shot, but I guess that means I have to read into what happened in the plot so far...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Alright, I looked at some gameplay videos, and I get how LR's battle system works. I thought it was turn-based after watching today's trailer. I may give it a shot, but I guess that means I have to read into what happened in the plot so far...

You really don't.

Here's a summary:
The world is hosed. Time-space is breaking down and everyone is going to die. A bunch of former JRPG protagonist are running around the lovely world but none of them can do anything meaningful because the world is dying. That is where the plot starts. Anything else you'll pick up or is so stupid it won't matter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

This is a good thing: FFT is dreadfully slow.

l i t t l e m o n e y

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Aurain posted:

l i t t l e m o n e y

This is exactly what I thought of. On the other hand, it's also the only thing I could think of. The rest of the game felt fine to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurain posted:

l i t t l e m o n e y
Would be an awesome name for a rapper.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

fronz posted:

Two men, one a noble, one a commoner with a noble upbringing, are friends. They see the incredible injustice inherent to the system of nobility, and realize that they are both pawns in the hands of larger players. One of them just walks away and lives his life as a mercenary. The other decides to do the opposite and become the biggest player of all. The game ends with the latter wondering if he made the right choice.

Also the Church at the center/part of the system are corrupt as all hell and dabbling in some some arcane poo poo that's loving up, but that's not that important in the whole grand scheme of things. It's backdrop to the struggle of Not-Noble friends grand plans.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fronz posted:

This is exactly what I thought of. On the other hand, it's also the only thing I could think of. The rest of the game felt fine to me.

Same here, but it's so iconic that it can't go without mentioning when FFT is mentioned.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also the Church at the center/part of the system are corrupt as all hell and dabbling in some some arcane poo poo that's loving up, but that's not that important in the whole grand scheme of things. It's backdrop to the struggle of Not-Noble friends grand plans.

Yeah, I think the fantasy half of the game is rather easy to follow. Maybe the only thing that's worth noting is that the arcane poo poo (Lucavi) is a way for people - be it the downtrodden (Wiegraf) or the already-powerful (Elmdor, Dycedarg, Vormav); but even this path to power leaves them controlled by a literal higher power. The game's story is fundamentally about power, or lack thereof, and how it or the hunger for it affects people. I really rather like it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

fronz posted:

Yeah, I think the fantasy half of the game is rather easy to follow. Maybe the only thing that's worth noting is that the arcane poo poo (Lucavi) is a way for people - be it the downtrodden (Wiegraf) or the already-powerful (Elmdor, Dycedarg, Vormav); but even this path to power leaves them controlled by a literal higher power. The game's story is fundamentally about power, or lack thereof, and how it or the hunger for it affects people. I really rather like it.

Unironically one of the best stories in the franchise. It's at least one of the few that actually hold a theme consistently throughout its entirety

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's because Yasumi Matsuno is the best writer Square-Enix ever had. Tactics Ogre is equally good (I prefer it) in all the same ways as FFT and he's running a Kickstarter for a spiritual successor to FFT/Ogre Battle.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I really liked how the crystal plot wasn't so loving generic in FFT like it is in the other games that use them as a plot point. Plus it was pretty funny when Jesus turned out to be Satan after all.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
When I first played FFT I didn't like the fantasy part of it because it seemed like the game was going 'yeah all this cool politics haha gently caress that we're gonna fight demons', but it actually meshes really well with the overall themes of the story.

I should play Tactics Ogre at some point. Which is the one I should play if I'm only going to do one of them? (I'm probably only going to do one of them, I play games barely ever nowadays)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

fronz posted:

When I first played FFT I didn't like the fantasy part of it because it seemed like the game was going 'yeah all this cool politics haha gently caress that we're gonna fight demons', but it actually meshes really well with the overall themes of the story.

I should play Tactics Ogre at some point. Which is the one I should play if I'm only going to do one of them? (I'm probably only going to do one of them, I play games barely ever nowadays)

The PSP version was pretty unfun IMO, so maybe do a trip report on the SNES version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Last Celebration posted:

The PSP version was pretty unfun IMO, so maybe do a trip report on the SNES version?

Pretty sure this is not a common opinion. I thought the PSP version was great.