Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'd really like a game similar to Settlers - I've played a bit of Townies, which isn't great, and I think there's a Settlers HD game you can download or something out there, but I'm not sure about what it's like. Any recommendations in this vein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Morpheus posted:

I'd really like a game similar to Settlers - I've played a bit of Townies, which isn't great, and I think there's a Settlers HD game you can download or something out there, but I'm not sure about what it's like. Any recommendations in this vein?

'Banished' pops into my head right away, but:

a) it's not out yet
b) it's for PC

Still posting this because I think it'll be awesome.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like King, the company who made Candy Crush, now owns the word "candy" in terms of all games and clothing.

They're already going after lesser known devs with "candy" in the title of their games despite the public (and other devs) having 30 days to dispute this with the USPTO.

They'll have to take on Hasbro eventually with Candyland...Hasbro should soundly destroy them. I hope.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01/21/game-developer-king-now-owns-the-trademark-on-the-word-candy-in-games-and-clothing/

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/20/candy-crush-devs-candy-trademark-approved-for-publication/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

King is a genius, they've created electronic crack and keep pumping the same game out with different pictures, farms, animals, next up will be adventure crush saga, then monster crush saga.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

tater_salad posted:

King is a genius, they've created electronic crack and keep pumping the same game out with different pictures, farms, animals, next up will be adventure crush saga, then monster crush saga.

They also copied the Peggle (I'm sure Peggle got the idea elsewhere) in Papa Pear Saga down to the goofy little powerups you get

Schizoguy posted:

I've been playing Monster Shooter 2, and I'm looking to add some friends. 836-314-792

Sent you an invite, mine is 107-072-691

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 21, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

tater_salad posted:

It's not the same game, it's multiple games that are the same as something someone else made, often Popcap. The 'genius' if anything is in the game psychology they use, their marketing, and hiring the right people to get their lovely trademark rights granted

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

baka kaba posted:

It's not the same game, it's multiple games that are the same as something someone else made, often Popcap. The 'genius' if anything is in the game psychology they use, their marketing, and hiring the right people to get their lovely trademark rights granted

Oh, so they're Zynga's next evolutionary form.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

baka kaba posted:

It doesn't take much to pull one over on the patent and copyright system these days.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.

Demerzel posted:

Just wanted to say I've been playing Pocket Knights the last few days and while it's yet another collectible card thing with IAP it seems to be very generous with its IAP currency and if you just want to sit and grind you usually can find something to do with something like 8 cooldowns going at once. The main thing you first find is Tower which is one of those "press button move forward" energy-based thing, but there's an outside world dungeon where your formation and party makeup matter (as well as arena and the boss battles for the tower). Anyway if you're one of those types who got addicted to PAD or CCG games like it but are bored of it now might be worth checking out - put me as invite code and it autofriends (175509506), I'm like lvl 69 with 3 5* after 5 days barely spending anything.

Amazingly I'm still playing this (longer than PAD now) and since I've gotten notices of referrals being used when people hit certain levels, just wanted to point out what you should be doing (some of this only applies when you get to a certain level, 70 unlocking everything):

• Your starter is the best character you will have. This because your starter (and only your starter) can be evolved 20+ times to eventually be a stacked 6*. I recommend Talia, but this is because I started Rhee and have nothing but mages and tanks.
  • Only use powerups on your starter because most likely you will be changing anyone else out and they will be wasted.
  • Praise friends every 30 minutes, this gives pal points to give you the cheap summons. Save them until you can refine heroes to stones (need them for your starter to tier up). Also it gives you back a few hundred energy usually.
  • You can do elite dungeons for free once per day. This means all of them, for me this is an extra 100+ dungeons a day giving courage, evo parts, xp and gold. I didn't realize this till way late.
  • Claim your salary daily by looking at your profile, it goes up by rank. Right now I get 13 diamonds and 185k gold every day.
  • If you bought anything at all you'll also have VIP, get to that screen by going to Store -> VIP tab and Claim Rewards. This is also daily.
  • Every 6 hours you can level up an item twice (to 50 it's an automatic level, past that it's just pure exp).
  • There are 4 slots of runes per character per armor slot. Also something I realized later. Fill em up with lvl 1 runes to start and evolve as capable.
  • If you have a ton of gold, buy star chests, these have tons of crystals, money, maps, sometimes moon chests.
  • Summon only in batches of 10 on any tier. On the regular and special this guarantees a 4 and 5* hero, on the friend point tier this just gives you an extra dude to break down.
  • Chests are not worth paying diamonds for, wait till you see a merchant in the tower and buy moon for gold, suns are just not worth it.
  • Time zones in this game vary by server (mine are PST), notable events being energy pie at noon and 6pm and the limited event tower opening at 8pm. Also Hero Gate gives double rewards at noon.

There's a ton of poo poo in this game but that's covering what I missed early on. Again you can put in my code(175509506) and use me as a boss/dungeon killer, my leader is pretty big now. You also get a lvl 70 6* AI until you hit lvl 70 called a 'mentor'. Between us 2 that should get you pretty far.

Demerzel fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 21, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

coyo7e posted:

It doesn't take much to pull one over on the patent and copyright system these days.

Eh, you could argue that this is the primary function of that system nowadays, given the kind of interests it protects (moneyed) and those it hurts (people who can't afford to fight). But that's another thread

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Demerzel posted:

Good stuff

Yeah, This game is a bit on the confusing side. There are about 5 too many things to do. Questions I have:

When you say powerup your starter do you mean fuse stuff onto her?

When/where can you refine heros to stones?

What/where are the Elite dungeons?

Any hints to evolve your starter? The cost got expensive really quick, and my Rhee is just ok, not a monster. I also wish I had Talia, just b/c her special is sweet.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.

Snowmankilla posted:

Yeah, This game is a bit on the confusing side. There are about 5 too many things to do. Questions I have:

When you say powerup your starter do you mean fuse stuff onto her?

When/where can you refine heros to stones?

What/where are the Elite dungeons?

Any hints to evolve your starter? The cost got expensive really quick, and my Rhee is just ok, not a monster. I also wish I had Talia, just b/c her special is sweet.

I am lvl 85 and have no idea what fusing heroes does exactly. Fusion stones are used at "S" breaks in evolution tiers in your main hero, I /think/ fusing stuff on other heroes gives them that S (which means they start with full rage or whatever so they can use their special on the first turn). But I have no idea how to do that other than that Silver Maske hero is involved somehow. What I am referring to is "Power Up" using hero stones (the blue rectangle things).

"Cards" -> select hero (your starter is default) -> "Power Up" on the bottom.

Elite Dungeons are a tab on the world dungeons, you just go to Castor Port as an example start, and then Elite Dungeon at the top.

As far as evolving heroes - at some point you will be gated by either evo materials or energy stones. For evo materials, elite dungeons and hero gates drop quite a few though you are at the mercy of the RNG to get the right one. You can also buy plans for the specific one you need with courage (yellow) gems at the Market. For energy stones running the highest dungeons you can get to without a gold border will drop them and also star chests (which is where your excess gold should get to). As far as general power, fuse her weapon mainly, making sure all other equipment is 20+ (easy to get to 20), runes in every slot and use the hero stones.

Dungeons are tough, I have the #1 dude on the server as a friend and use him as a crutch constantly to pass the harder ones (every half an hour).

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Demerzel posted:

I am lvl 85 and have no idea what fusing heroes does exactly. Fusion stones are used at "S" breaks in evolution tiers in your main hero, I /think/ fusing stuff on other heroes gives them that S (which means they start with full rage or whatever so they can use their special on the first turn). But I have no idea how to do that other than that Silver Maske hero is involved somehow. What I am referring to is "Power Up" using hero stones (the blue rectangle things).

"Cards" -> select hero (your starter is default) -> "Power Up" on the bottom.

Elite Dungeons are a tab on the world dungeons, you just go to Castor Port as an example start, and then Elite Dungeon at the top.

As far as evolving heroes - at some point you will be gated by either evo materials or energy stones. For evo materials, elite dungeons and hero gates drop quite a few though you are at the mercy of the RNG to get the right one. You can also buy plans for the specific one you need with courage (yellow) gems at the Market. For energy stones running the highest dungeons you can get to without a gold border will drop them and also star chests (which is where your excess gold should get to). As far as general power, fuse her weapon mainly, making sure all other equipment is 20+ (easy to get to 20), runes in every slot and use the hero stones.

Dungeons are tough, I have the #1 dude on the server as a friend and use him as a crutch constantly to pass the harder ones (every half an hour).

Thank you for all of this. I still cant power up Heros yet, and I dont think I can turn poo poo cards to stones yet.

The Elite Dungeons are a huge help, I am pulling lots of stuff just running through those right now.

I will ask when I get far enough to look at new stuff.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like King, the company who made Candy Crush, now owns the word "candy" in terms of all games and clothing.

They're already going after lesser known devs with "candy" in the title of their games despite the public (and other devs) having 30 days to dispute this with the USPTO.

They'll have to take on Hasbro eventually with Candyland...Hasbro should soundly destroy them. I hope.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01/21/game-developer-king-now-owns-the-trademark-on-the-word-candy-in-games-and-clothing/

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/20/candy-crush-devs-candy-trademark-approved-for-publication/

Hasbro should trademark the word 'Saga' in terms of all games and clothing in response.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Naky posted:

Hasbro should trademark the word 'Saga' in terms of all games and clothing in response.

Too late.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Naky posted:

At least the response was quick:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/209001/Devs_lampoon_ridiculous_trademarks_by_starting_a_Candy_Jam.php

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Apparently Deus Ex: The Fall is supposed to hit the Play Store sometime today.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Naky posted:

Remember when every shovelware game was "Something Tycoon" because Sid Meier couldn't trademark the word "Tycoon". Yeah, those were the days.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

mrkillboy posted:

Apparently Deus Ex: The Fall is supposed to hit the Play Store sometime today.

Is it expected to be any good? Reviews seem pretty bad on iPhone, especially for a $7 app.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Does Spirit Stones have events that increase the chance of getting high value cards, or should I cash in these gems now?

Also, I've won 24 gems from beating bosses, which is rather decent of them.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Is it expected to be any good? Reviews seem pretty bad on iPhone, especially for a $7 app.

A lovely iPhone AAA tie-in cash grab isn't going to magically get any better on Android. I'd avoid it.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
If anyone's looking for a kart racer Table Top Racing is pretty fun. It's free with IAPs for coins/ad removal but refreshingly doesn't jam them down your throat like Angry Birds Go! and Sonic Racing Transformed do.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

ovaries posted:

A lovely iPhone AAA tie-in cash grab isn't going to magically get any better on Android. I'd avoid it.

It already has a 4.5 though, plus praise in the description from places I actually recognize, which is what confuses me. I'm wondering if the iPhone version was plagued by bugs and reviews were never appended or something, but I guess I'll hold off.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

New Leaf posted:

It already has a 4.5 though, plus praise in the description from places I actually recognize, which is what confuses me. I'm wondering if the iPhone version was plagued by bugs and reviews were never appended or something, but I guess I'll hold off.

Generally high-recognition titles get high reviews, either legit or not. I'd wait for some reliable word-of-mouth.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

New Leaf posted:

It already has a 4.5 though

On its Play store page? Please. Truckloads of Skinner boxes and adware honeypots have 5 stars, should we discuss the merits of those in this thread too?

I'm not commenting on the Deus Ex game at all. I just think "but it has a good rating" is a ridiculous thing to base one's opinion on.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 23, 2014

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
So, I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to CCG-style/freemium collection games. I've played PAD, Dark Reign, Brave Frontier, and (now thanks to this thread) Pocket Knights, but is there anything out there that is both an actual card game and not neglected by its developers (Rage of Bahamut, I'm looking at you)?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mingus Dew posted:

So, I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to CCG-style/freemium collection games. I've played PAD, Dark Reign, Brave Frontier, and (now thanks to this thread) Pocket Knights, but is there anything out there that is both an actual card game and not neglected by its developers (Rage of Bahamut, I'm looking at you)?

What does PAD stand for?

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Pocket Billiards posted:

What does PAD stand for?

Puzzle and Dragons. You know, match-three crack.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mingus Dew posted:

is there anything out there that is both an actual card game and not neglected by its developers (Rage of Bahamut, I'm looking at you)?

I haven't found one on Android. A lot of the digital CCGs coming down the pipe in the next year or two look a lot more promising, and hopefully a few of them will get Android ports.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I haven't found one on Android. A lot of the digital CCGs coming down the pipe in the next year or two look a lot more promising, and hopefully a few of them will get Android ports.

That's sad. You would think that Android could be a really workable platform for games like that.

Here's hoping.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mingus Dew posted:

Puzzle and Dragons. You know, match-three crack.

Thanks. I should probably get it, it's not on the AU marketplace though.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Pocket Billiards posted:

Thanks. I should probably get it, it's not on the AU marketplace though.

Sadly, I think it's just JP, KR and US. There may be ways around that, though, I'm not entirely sure.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Mingus Dew posted:

Sadly, I think it's just JP, KR and US. There may be ways around that, though, I'm not entirely sure.

Tunnel a browser through one of those countries to access the play store and it will let you do whatever you want as if you were in the country even if your phone isn't, including buying apps and sending them to your phone.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
How does that compare to downloading the apk? Can we discuss that here is or is verboten?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Pocket Billiards posted:

How does that compare to downloading the apk? Can we discuss that here is or is verboten?

No idea, but I've mentioned it a ton of times in this thread before and I still haven't gotten banned for it. If you want to do IAP for it, it'll need to be able to payment through google play anyways, and I don't know how that works if you just download an apk. Try asking in the PAD thread

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pocket Billiards posted:

You can just download the apk. There are different versions for different regions though. Most goons play on EN, but there are a few who play on JP or EU. Each region has a specific APK.

If you want to play EN, at the time of this post you'll have to wait a few hours because there's an update going on. Also visit the PAD thread and read the OP (multiple times), visit the IRC channel, get ready to play the tutorial over and over to get a good starting god, and get your credit card ready.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

My past experience with Android CCGs was a bit dire, to say the least. In most of them you hardly control the battle and just wait for all cards to play out automatically (the most infuriating one was about werewolves and vampires; can't even remember its name now). I only wish there was something like Orions... Played it back when it was a Windows Mobile exclusive and so far it's the best mobile CCG.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

gwrtheyrn posted:

No idea, but I've mentioned it a ton of times in this thread before and I still haven't gotten banned for it. If you want to do IAP for it, it'll need to be able to payment through google play anyways, and I don't know how that works if you just download an apk. Try asking in the PAD thread

i did the same thing with hero academy and my IAPs worked fine through the play store despite the game not being available in the USA.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
For any Free games that you can't get because of country restrictions just Google for "Your google play store is blocked?" with the quotes and go to the XDA-Devs site. It is updated usually withing an hour of a new patch/release because people will ask for stuff as soon as it gets updated. You may have to read the latest posts for real new stuff because the OP isn't updated immediately though.

I use this method all the time because of Dungeon Keepers still not being available to US devices.

They do a lot more than games too. Just never ask for a paid app, they only do the free apps so they do not get into trouble with the XDA-Dev admins or with Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What's a good Bejeweled clone? I don't think Android will ever get Bejeweled 3 (the one with treasure and butterfly modes) and there are a ton of negative reviews for Bejeweled 2, but I still need my fix. I'm not looking for the Puzzle and Dragons type of match-three game, I can't wrap my head around those; I need something that limits you to one moving tiles one square up/down/left/right at a time.

• Locked thread