Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

skaboomizzy posted:

The Patriots just kicked off from the 50 due to a penalty on/after their conversion. I would imagine each NFL team gets to do this four or five times a season. Does any team ever try to just pop it up in that situation so it has to be fielded at about the 5-yard line and the returner is immediately tackled or has to fair-catch?

Yeah this happens sometimes, in my opinion it's better to just kick it out of the stadium and not mess with it but it can work.

SkunkDuster posted:

Can punters influence the bounce of the ball? Like get it to stop dead or bounce deep if the returning team decides not to field it?

I don't think anyone answered this, but yeah punters can influence this and there are different things they practice to try to get the ball to stick/roll back or keep rolling forward. It's easier said than done obviously, but it is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Can you fair catch a kick-off? I mean once it goes ten yards it is live for either team so I am not clear.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Uncle Jam posted:

Can you fair catch a kick-off? I mean once it goes ten yards it is live for either team so I am not clear.

yes you can!

e- but not after the ball bounces, which is why you don't see high but short onside kicks

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

Not only that, but the same kick catch interference rule applies as on a scrimmage kick, so Team B must be afforded an unimpeded opportunity to catch the ball even if a fair catch has not been called. In NCAA they recently made it so that these rules still apply on a classic one-bounce high-hop kick (which I can kind of understand the logic of even if it sucks a whole lot), which has actually made things more interesting because now people are trying all sorts of wild and wacky things to work out what the new best way to do an onside kick is.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Trin Tragula posted:

Not only that, but the same kick catch interference rule applies as on a scrimmage kick, so Team B must be afforded an unimpeded opportunity to catch the ball even if a fair catch has not been called. In NCAA they recently made it so that these rules still apply on a classic one-bounce high-hop kick (which I can kind of understand the logic of even if it sucks a whole lot), which has actually made things more interesting because now people are trying all sorts of wild and wacky things to work out what the new best way to do an onside kick is.

From what I've seen, send an absolute rocket into a dude's kneepads and see what happens.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Can you have more than one guy call for a fair catch? Like the second the ondide kick happens can everyone just do the arm wave regardless of who its going to?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

swickles posted:

Can you have more than one guy call for a fair catch? Like the second the ondide kick happens can everyone just do the arm wave regardless of who its going to?

Sure. It means that whoever catches the ball can't advance it. Anybody signalling for a fair catch makes it a fair catch for everyone.

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
Note that while this is true, if the ball bounces off the ground then you can't fair catch. Hence every onside kick being bounced off the ground immediately so the receiving team can't fair catch.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why doesn't the recieving team just run the other way away from the ball so it can't hit any of them?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bob Morales posted:

Why doesn't the recieving team just run the other way away from the ball so it can't hit any of them?

If it goes more than 10 yards it is a live ball and therefore recoverable by the kicking team.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

k3nn posted:

Note that while this is true, if the ball bounces off the ground then you can't fair catch. Hence every onside kick being bounced off the ground immediately so the receiving team can't fair catch.

Keep in mind that the immediate one bounce followed by the ball traveling in the air is still a fair catch opportunity

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Real smart quarterbacks can run a no-huddle offense, with minimal input from an OC during a drive.
The QB can change run plays in the pass plays and vice versa, they can change the blocking scheme (in combination with the center), etc.

Why can't defenses do the same with a smart linebacker? Or does that happen already?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

k3nn posted:

Every onside kick?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OperaMouse posted:

Real smart quarterbacks can run a no-huddle offense, with minimal input from an OC during a drive.
The QB can change run plays in the pass plays and vice versa, they can change the blocking scheme (in combination with the center), etc.

Why can't defenses do the same with a smart linebacker? Or does that happen already?

Defenses do this to an extent - changing coverages and rushing/blitzing assignments based on the offensive alignment. They're limited, though, as most offenses can run multiple plays from the same formation, so defensive players have to memorize long checklists of what their assignment is in a huge number of different situations and react after the snap to what the offense is doing.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

gohuskies posted:

Every onside kick?

That one hits the ground immediately.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I would just like to quickly go over what the three rulebooks think about onside kicks because everyone's right with what they've been saying to some degree, but very little of this is applicable Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

Fed: Usual spot is Team A's 40. No restrictions on formation. Fair catches and interference only possible if the ball does not bounce. Basically, go hog wild, everything's like it always has been, they just want to keep their rules simple. Also consider that they have the widest hashmarks and therefore can play with angles a lot more.

NCAA: Usual spot is A's 35. Must have 4 players on each side of the kicker when the ball is kicked, and all players except the kicker must start no more than 5 yards behind the ball. Fair catches and interference possible after the first bounce if the ball rebounds "in the manner of a ball kicked directly off the tee". No Team A player may block an opponent before they become eligible to touch the ball.

NFL: Usual spot is A's 35. Must have 4 players on each side of the kicker and they must all be a certain distance apart from each other, and no more than 5 yards behind the ball. Fair catches and interference possible if the ball does not bounce. Also they have very narrow hashmarks and therefore much less space to kick the ball into.

My favourite development in onside kicks is that people have realised that it's perfectly legal to tee the ball up pretending you're going to do a normal onside kick, then move it and kick it from somewhere else. I saw one somewhere where they threw the ball across to the other hashmark, and then that guy used a drop-kick to put the ball in play, and Team B had absolutely no clue what the gently caress was happening to them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

My favourite development in onside kicks is that people have realised that it's perfectly legal to tee the ball up pretending you're going to do a normal onside kick, then move it and kick it from somewhere else. I saw one somewhere where they threw the ball across to the other hashmark, and then that guy used a drop-kick to put the ball in play, and Team B had absolutely no clue what the gently caress was happening to them.

OMG I so badly want to see this happen in the Super Bowl or one of the Conference Championship games.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

That one hits the ground immediately.

It being a ridiculous joke kick from a pro bowl was my main point, but still there's enough time when it's in the air when a receiving player can wave his arm for the fair catch.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

NFL: Usual spot is A's 35. Must have 4 players on each side of the kicker and they must all be a certain distance apart from each other, and no more than 5 yards behind the ball. Fair catches and interference possible if the ball does not bounce. Also they have very narrow hashmarks and therefore much less space to kick the ball into.

Isn't this 5 nowadays?
Teams always break symmetrically out of the "huddle".

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OperaMouse posted:

Isn't this 5 nowadays?
Teams always break symmetrically out of the "huddle".

That's what I thought, and IIRC what all the media reports of the change said, but I went to double check and the rulebook says 4 on each side. However the NFL book is terrible and has been for a long time so I wouldn't be surprised if that was a typo, or if they did something ridiculous like I dunno, they wrote it to say 4 on each side but by philosophy they call illegal formation on 6-4 unless one of the 6 is a holder.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hello, quick question about clock run down...

Seattle just made a pass, receiver went out of bounds(standing up) and the clock stopped, but only for a bit. The clock started running again about the time the ball was set, and SEA was still in huddle.

Later, Wilson launches a ball out of bounds and clock stops until the ball is snapped. Lastly, later on, Wilson scrambles out of bounds and the clock is stopped until the ball is snapped.

My dad and I noticed something similar in the Pats-Bronco game.

Is there a rule or just poor clock management from <refs/facilities/God>?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Before the last 5 minutes of either half (I believe, it might be 2 minutes in the first half) out of bounds clock stoppages are only until the ball is set. After that point it's stopped until the snap.

Another thing you might notice is the clock running when someone runs out of bounds going backwards, you have to be attempting to gain yards while going out of bounds in order to get a stoppage.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Let's be technically correct about that, because if a runner goes backwards and out of bounds under his own power, the clock will stop. However, when a runner is forced backwards and out of bounds by the defense, the ball gets spotted up at the point he was driven back from, because his forward progress was stopped before he went out of bounds - therefore, the ball has become dead inbounds and the clock continues running.

(Also, since it was asked, an incomplete forward pass always stops the clock until the next snap. Another clock stoppage you'll see in the NFL is if the quarterback is sacked - but only for a few seconds, it'll usually start again before the ball is spotted, and also IIRC and for no very good reason, this rule does *not* apply at the end of a half. Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference between football and fizzbin...)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 20, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rule 4-k-1r(k)

Game ends in a general donnybrook

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
The salary cap has always kind of confused me in the NFL. How exactly is cap hit determined, and what exactly is is cap savings on this list

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=49ers&Year=2013

I ask because I was trying to look at the Niner's cap going forward because I know it was mentioned there might be restructuring for Gore, Davis, etc.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

THE MACHO MAN posted:

How exactly is cap hit determined

Oh, God, you don't know what you're asking. According to the latest CBA - http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf - you're looking at Article 13, which starts at page 90 and runs through page 108, and in particular Section 6 (Valuation of Player Contracts), from page 92 through the top of page 107. To grossly oversimplify (note that when I say "2014" and "2015", think of these as "this league year" and "a later league year"):

1) Start with the player's actual salary to be paid in 2014.
2) Move anything that will be earned in 2014 but paid later in 2015 into the hit for 2015. This is one source of dead money.
3) Add in any signing bonus, divided into each year of the contract (so for a 5 year contract, 1/5 of the signing bonus is applied to each year). Another source of dead money.
4) Note that if you cut a player, you accelerate all remaining years' worth of cap hits (so if you cut a player in year 1 of 5, in year 2 all of the remaining signing bonus is a cap hit).
5) Incentives are added into the cap immediately if "likely to be earned", otherwise at the end of the year.

It's how much the team would save for cutting that player. Note that because of the calculations above, it's entirely possible to have players that cost more against the cap if you cut them than if you just pay them to play.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The cap rules are utterly impenetrable to me so kudos on that Over The Cap site for even attempting to make sense of it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Benne posted:

The cap rules are utterly impenetrable to me so kudos on that Over The Cap site for even attempting to make sense of it.

It's really not that bad at the core. At the core, it's salary for the year + a portion of your signing bonus. The key is that if you cut a player you're on the hook for the rest of their signing bonus immediately.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Benne posted:

Never attempt to understand the NBA salary cap rules, then. Teams have had to rework trades after league approval due to someone later realizing it violated some random clause and wouldn't work under the CBA. The popular FAQ on it has over 100 questions.

The NFL cap is simple and sane, in comparison.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
Just remember the year for the NFL ends Mar 31 and keeping the years straight is easy.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good place to to learn about offensive formations, with an emphasis on WR routes? Go routes, slants, curls..I know the general idea but I'm really interested in why they're put into specific plays.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there a good place to to learn about offensive formations, with an emphasis on WR routes? Go routes, slants, curls..I know the general idea but I'm really interested in why they're put into specific plays.

Smart Football. His articles go up full on Grantland now so the content is split between there and his archives, but he's invaluable for learning why offenses do what they do.

http://smartfootball.com/

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Wasn't sure where to put this since my old injury thread is gone and buried but I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with you guys. One thing that has been bugging me about the whole fencing response posturing is the difference between that and decerberate/decorticate posturing which is pretty severe. I happened to be talking with a neurosurgeon today about football and the topic of concussions came up.

Basically, a fencing response is a temporary decerberate posturing. It's not really defined by so many seconds or minutes, but more of a subjective thing. Like if a player gets hit, postures, but then stops after a second, you can call that a fencing response. And its the moving in and out of the posturing that produces the classic fencing response. In other words, when these guys get hit like that, at that moment they have a GCS of 4.

This has been swickle's useless medical fact of the day.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

Wasn't sure where to put this since my old injury thread is gone and buried but I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with you guys. One thing that has been bugging me about the whole fencing response posturing is the difference between that and decerberate/decorticate posturing which is pretty severe. I happened to be talking with a neurosurgeon today about football and the topic of concussions came up.

Basically, a fencing response is a temporary decerberate posturing. It's not really defined by so many seconds or minutes, but more of a subjective thing. Like if a player gets hit, postures, but then stops after a second, you can call that a fencing response. And its the moving in and out of the posturing that produces the classic fencing response. In other words, when these guys get hit like that, at that moment they have a GCS of 4.

This has been swickle's useless medical fact of the day.

This information is cool and all, but for those of us without PHDs you may want to define terms like decerberate and decorticate. I mean we can, and I did, Google them, but it isn't the same as an actual doctor using it correctly. Good info though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chichevache posted:

This information is cool and all, but for those of us without PHDs you may want to define terms like decerberate and decorticate. I mean we can, and I did, Google them, but it isn't the same as an actual doctor using it correctly. Good info though.

In the most simple of terms, its when your brain disconnects from the rest of your nervous system. Literally. The posturing depends on what level of the brain the disconnect takes place at. This image best explains what they look like:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Doctor. To what degree did the patient get Owned? Well you see doctor he was decorticate Owned.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"In my medical opinion, he was 'blown the gently caress up.'"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why does everyone make fun of Soothing Vapors' wife?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DOOP posted:

Why does everyone make fun of Soothing Vapors' wife?

Running joke, started in a GDT but it's slightly broader humor than Bloodfart Lake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
Why does everyone hate John Elway? Did he do something or did he just win a lot so gently caress him.

• Locked thread