Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They decide the scheduling of games?

I'm glad my university group was sane. All they really did was act as a networking and room booking service. You signed up, could go along to the saturday general-meeting/board game session if you wanted to, got access to the messageboards to post about games going on, and could ask the relevant person to book you a room on day X at time Y in the society's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

goatface posted:

They decide the scheduling of games?

I'm glad my university group was sane. All they really did was act as a networking and room booking service. You signed up, could go along to the saturday general-meeting/board game session if you wanted to, got access to the messageboards to post about games going on, and could ask the relevant person to book you a room on day X at time Y in the society's name.

They'll do something similar if you schedule your game for a time other than 5pm on a Friday (the best time to play for most students :argh:), but club meetings on Fridays have scheduled games where they play 3.5 undt only 3.5, no exceptions.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doomsayer posted:

quote:

I would like to request that you set a different night of the week for your 4e games.
"Request denied. I'll see you Friday".

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Doomsayer posted:

They'll do something similar if you schedule your game for a time other than 5pm on a Friday (the best time to play for most students :argh:), but club meetings on Fridays have scheduled games where they play 3.5 undt only 3.5, no exceptions.

I mean at least play Pathfinder, not 3.5. These guys are 18-22 years old. 3.5 was winding down when they were freshmen in high school.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I mean at least play Pathfinder, not 3.5. These guys are 18-22 years old. 3.5 was winding down when they were freshmen in high school.

The weirdest part is some of them use Pathfinder rulebooks, but are still playing 3.5 rules. They just memorize what's different between books :psyduck:

Like, I get not wanting some random loon to hijack your club, but I've offered up and down to have meetings with officers beforehand, do a system other than 4e (like 13th Age or Dungeon World) if they prefer, set up a Campaign Path for players and other interested DMs to follow, use similar Gaming League rules like they do with 3.5 (consistent items between DMs, etc.),would be totally willing to provide the materials I have (I have a shoebox full to the brim with mixed Reaper/D&D minis and a crate full of tiles) explained that I've been DMing since early high school, etc.

No dice.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 22, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Forget it, they're control freaks - just set up a new club, you've been way more then accommodating to their bullshit. If they start complaining, tell them you did try doing it their way but they shot you down, so it's their fault.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Give up, build a new club. You're done. Don't bother trying to cater to them.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I can't, you need 10 people to start one per university rules and I currently have exactly one person :saddowns:

If I knew literally anyone else in town I'd just have my own group. It's not like I can use their forum to advertise for a competing club :v: I might consider going to their first meeting. Maybe if there's enough new folks I can snipe a few.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 22, 2014

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Doomsayer posted:

The weirdest part is some of them use Pathfinder rulebooks, but are still playing 3.5 rules. They just memorize what's different between books :psyduck:

Like, I get not wanting some random loon to hijack your club, but I've offered up and down to have meetings with officers beforehand, do a system other than 4e (like 13th Age or Dungeon World) if they prefer, set up a Campaign Path for players and other interested DMs to follow, use similar Gaming League rules like they do with 3.5 (consistent items between DMs, etc.),would be totally willing to provide the materials I have (I have a shoebox full to the brim with mixed Reaper/D&D minis and a crate full of tiles) explained that I've been DMing since early high school, etc.

No dice.

Call it 3.5e+. When people show up, just play 4th edition instead. When they act all confused as to why it's different, tell them Monte Cook rebalanced 3.5 to be more fun and this is what he came up with. Be sure to make new fake covers for the 4e rulebooks to totally sell them on it. Once they realize it's better, you can finally tell them the truth and they will finally realize what fools they have been the entire time for not playing 4e sooner. You're not some random loon - you're a disciple of that elusive thing called Good Games!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Make a sign: "Join gamers against tyranny. Free candy."

Buy 9 people a candy bar. Boom. But just loving DO something.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The great thing about college groups is that you can join as many as you like, even ones that meet on the same day at the same time. Get 9 people from the other group to help form your new group. Easy peasy.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

The great thing about college groups is that you can join as many as you like, even ones that meet on the same day at the same time. Get 9 people from the other group to help form your new group. Easy peasy.

This is the current plan.

Golden Bee posted:

Make a sign: "Join gamers against tyranny. Free candy."

Buy 9 people a candy bar. Boom. But just loving DO something.

Part of the problem is that every time I get all riled up and ready to seize the means of production from the corrupt 3rd Edition bourgeoisie I remember that I'm a grad student and theoretically should be devoting my time to, like, writing papers and poo poo rather than elfgames.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Doomsayer posted:

This is the current plan.

Part of the problem is that every time I get all riled up and ready to seize the means of production from the corrupt 3rd Edition bourgeoisie I remember that I'm a grad student and theoretically should be devoting my time to, like, writing papers and poo poo rather than elfgames.

As a student in law school my brother played board games during his time off. He and his friends got so into settlers of catan that they started making futures exchanges and derivative markets in their regular games. Spend some time on elf games before you snap and show up to defend your thesis covered in peanut butter or something. Bonus points for pissing off grogs.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

mmj posted:

As a student in law school my brother played board games during his time off. He and his friends got so into settlers of catan that they started making futures exchanges and derivative markets in their regular games. Spend some time on elf games before you snap and show up to defend your thesis covered in peanut butter or something. Bonus points for pissing off grogs.

That... is a very good point. I'd like to go to the Friday meeting and snipe people, but that would require me to play 3.5 and quite frankly I'm just not that committed. Not after last time... Not after the things I've seen.

I'm thinking I'll try and get a game of Dungeon World going on a non-Friday to attract (hopefully!) non-grogs, then broach the subject. We'll see what happens.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Doomsayer posted:

That... is a very good point. I'd like to go to the Friday meeting and snipe people, but that would require me to play 3.5 and quite frankly I'm just not that committed. Not after last time... Not after the things I've seen.

I'm thinking I'll try and get a game of Dungeon World going on a non-Friday to attract (hopefully!) non-grogs, then broach the subject. We'll see what happens.

Stop making excuses to stop yourself, that's my advice. Take the Dungeon World Ethos to heart: To do it, Do It.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Doomsayer posted:

Keep me posted. I'd love to get in on this action. (I'd also like to GM it myself some time, but... baby steps.)

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

ActingPower posted:

Keep me posted. I'd love to get in on this action. (I'd also like to GM it myself some time, but... baby steps.)

You live in Reno?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Doom, brother, I have had the opposite luck as you. Just moved for a grad degree, new town, knew no one. I seriously mentioned tradgames off-hand in a conversation about adaptation and then a week later two other grads from my cohort bugged me about starting a game. Now I have a group of freaking 10 people who have previously never touched an elf-game wanting seats at a "Show up with your dude/dudette" Dungeon World game. poo poo's getting real this semester. Gonna pull a Durlag's Tower on 'em. :unsmigghh:

My group is actually super fractious, with the Ranger and Wizard basically going all Spy vs. Spy in an attempt to kill the other without being too obvious in front the rest of the party. Each of them will try to "recruit" other players and NPCs into their rube-goldberg mid-Gorgon fight shenanigans. This has lead to smoking up with a plague god, eating the soul of a PCs' father, and accidentally exterminating a cult/refuge for the magically disabled. After chilling out with the plague god, they were shaking hands, dividing the loot, and packing their characters when the Druid pointed out they had just freed the guy who sent Bubonic-Wizard Flu out into the world. All the players sort-of refused eye contact and called it a night. The next session when I brought up plot hooks, everybody had "forgotten" their previous encounter, and denied anything like that even happened. I have the best players :allears:

My newest player rolled up a Paladin worshiping the Goddess of (Plutonic/Familial/Community)Love. He shares his love with the world the only way he knows how: By the might of his axe. :black101:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Welp, pack it in folks, the best Dungeon World group has been found.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Verr posted:

Doom, brother, I have had the opposite luck as you. Just moved for a grad degree, new town, knew no one. I seriously mentioned tradgames off-hand in a conversation about adaptation and then a week later two other grads from my cohort bugged me about starting a game. Now I have a group of freaking 10 people who have previously never touched an elf-game wanting seats at a "Show up with your dude/dudette" Dungeon World game. poo poo's getting real this semester. Gonna pull a Durlag's Tower on 'em. :unsmigghh:

My group is actually super fractious, with the Ranger and Wizard basically going all Spy vs. Spy in an attempt to kill the other without being too obvious in front the rest of the party. Each of them will try to "recruit" other players and NPCs into their rube-goldberg mid-Gorgon fight shenanigans. This has lead to smoking up with a plague god, eating the soul of a PCs' father, and accidentally exterminating a cult/refuge for the magically disabled. After chilling out with the plague god, they were shaking hands, dividing the loot, and packing their characters when the Druid pointed out they had just freed the guy who sent Bubonic-Wizard Flu out into the world. All the players sort-of refused eye contact and called it a night. The next session when I brought up plot hooks, everybody had "forgotten" their previous encounter, and denied anything like that even happened. I have the best players :allears:

My newest player rolled up a Paladin worshiping the Goddess of (Plutonic/Familial/Community)Love. He shares his love with the world the only way he knows how: By the might of his axe. :black101:

Plutonic love? So kidnapping the daughter of the goddess of seasons and creating winter kind of love?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Plutonic love? So kidnapping the daughter of the goddess of seasons and creating winter kind of love?

That would actually be a great character. "Oh you're a cleric? What of?" "Um... the Plutonic ideal of love." "Oh, that sounds ni-" "It's not bro. Trust me, it's not."

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
As a break from my grimdark communist horror campaign, the other GM of my group is running what should become a great experience in the near future: a completely comic-book-y FATE game about dimension-hopping, time-travelling versions of famous characters/people, given superpowers to save the multiverse and/or space-time continuum. The obvious need for a brains/brawn/charm set has resulted in a party so far consisting of Ada Lovelace, Arnold Schwarzenegger and JFK. Set to fight evildoers together in the timestream.

I can't see how this can end any way other than gloriously.

quote:

This is beautiful and you are a beautiful person for rolling with it. I'm pretty sure I'd have to really suppress my instinct to do damage control in that situation, as well as the knee-jerk reaction to PvP as a bad thing, but clearly that would be just wrong.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 24, 2014

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Doomsayer posted:

That would actually be a great character. "Oh you're a cleric? What of?" "Um... the Plutonic ideal of love." "Oh, that sounds ni-" "It's not bro. Trust me, it's not."

Haha, the player picked it because he dug the whole chaste warrior thing, but still wanted to be associated with an overwhelmingly positive emotion when he rolled heads. To be honest, my heart dropped when he told me he wanted to worship the "Goddess of Love." I just thought, "poo poo, now I'm going to have have this talk." Then he dropped the chaste warrior/community aspect and I was so drat happy I got emotional whiplash.

Guildencrantz posted:

This is beautiful and you are a beautiful person for rolling with it. I'm pretty sure I'd have to really suppress my instinct to do damage control in that situation, as well as the knee-jerk reaction to PvP as a bad thing, but clearly that would be just wrong.

To be honest, I'm not the most experienced GM, this is my first extended campaign, and since it's Dungeon World, I have to deal with all the random poo poo my group throws at me. My improv isn't that great, and the crew literally set up their intial premise as a railroadiest plot ever: Some evil sorceress has blackmail on each of the players, forcing them to collect a McGuffin. The conclusion to the arc was unsatisfying, but I'm hoping I can nudge them towards a premise I'm a little more comfortable working in.

That celebrity tour would be spectacular. Please tell me Schwarzenegger is the face, JFK's the brains, and Ada's the brawn.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Verr posted:

Plutonic love

"Ah yeah, I like to do it with the cap of invisibility on baby."

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Doomsayer what university are you at? I am at University of Arizona and I think I could provide at least the majority of the people you need to make a new group. If not, I'm sure there are plenty of folks like me but reaching out to board/SCA/geek groups that haven't committed yet might net you enough folks that were put off by grognards to get your base. I'm willing to bet there are folks that would crossover if the environment was more casual and were either scared off by the club you're working on or just need a bit of a sales pitch to give it a try. Really, you're recruiting pool probably extends beyond the group dominated by 3.5ers and with a little creativity you could have a fresh group to introduce to the scene. This does take time though and I have no idea how much free time your grad work allows you so try to get creative and deputize curious people if you can to spread some of the recruitment work. It sounds like you want to DM these games and I bet some of the group is interested, try a slightly less head on tactic and let the grog group deal with the brain drain of players having options.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

mmj posted:

Doomsayer what university are you at? I am at University of Arizona and I think I could provide at least the majority of the people you need to make a new group. If not, I'm sure there are plenty of folks like me but reaching out to board/SCA/geek groups that haven't committed yet might net you enough folks that were put off by grognards to get your base. I'm willing to bet there are folks that would crossover if the environment was more casual and were either scared off by the club you're working on or just need a bit of a sales pitch to give it a try. Really, you're recruiting pool probably extends beyond the group dominated by 3.5ers and with a little creativity you could have a fresh group to introduce to the scene. This does take time though and I have no idea how much free time your grad work allows you so try to get creative and deputize curious people if you can to spread some of the recruitment work. It sounds like you want to DM these games and I bet some of the group is interested, try a slightly less head on tactic and let the grog group deal with the brain drain of players having options.

I'm sure those people do exist but I have no idea how to reach out to them apart from the UNR D&D club forum (where all the grognards are, yet where I am indeed looking for people in a desperate bid against hope regardless), the comic book shop (they told me they only do LFG for Pathfinder games), or various "find gamers" websites all of which have yielded little to no results.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't the first time to the making-a-new group rodeo, and that is precisely what I am currently doing, and obviously people who want to play something other than 3.5 exist, it's just that finding these people is drat difficult.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Sorry for long, didn't really know where to cut off.

Apparantely shooting ten lascannons at someone hurts, mindfucking Chorda's cousin and other fun activities

So we had another Rogue Trader session where we were a bunch of absolutely horrible people in a very hilarious way. The session begun in a not so horrible way, with the group being the False Man, the two Orks and my Genetor (now with new facial features thanks to a mechanical mask covering the horrible teeth and hair implants covering her weird skull shape so she can take her helmet off without everyone trying to shoot her for being a mutant monster) and we were going to get an Ordo Xenos inquisitor off from some planet with colossal mountain sized animals so he could vote in our favour in an Inquisitorial cabal so we don't get executed for wasting the Inquisition's time. So anyway we find a hut on top off one of these colossal beasts, and we go in after hailing it a few times with no answer.

We notice there is someone sitting inside in a dark room with an official Inquisition brand hat on his head, completely focused on some screen with headphones on. We naturally try to yell the Inquisitor's name a couple of times with no answer, and so we go and check him out a bit closely... and notice that the person was playing some game and that it was a Jokaero actually - a monkey-like xeno breed known for building all kinds of random hi-tech things. We wondered about it for a while before the Inquisitor came in and after some gun waving he realized we were actually friendly. After a bit of talking he was willing to come with us as long as we would help him tag one of the collosal creatures and protect him from some random Ork pirates that had landed on the planet at some point and were doing what Ork pirates do - that is causing some random havoc. So we hopped on our guncutter and ferried the Inquisitor and his Jokaero pet to the beast he wanted to tag and we set up in defensive positions on top of the beast while he begun setting up the giant tag device. He also noted that even minor disruptions during the process might cause it to explode and as an explanation for this odd behaviour he mentioned that the Jokaero had built it. It 'defended' itself by going "ook ook eek ook". The Inquisitor owned by the way, he acted like this veteran Inquisitor who'd seen much poo poo and did not really care too much about such little details that our group had several orks in it. He didn't really think too much about the orks until we stated that the puritan Inquisitor Castellan didn't really like us due to Xenos on board our ship plus the Orks being valuable team members, and even then he basically went ”eh, they seem tame”. Really swell guy.

And then the Orks attacked with a fighta-bomma and a huge transport vessel packed to the brim with Orks. Good thing we had a stupid bullshit Fury fighter jet on our side piloted by the False Man Seneschal and he promptly killed the Fightabomma in one turn, murdered the Ork boss during another turn by shooting him with a shitload of lascannons and he was generally being a destroyer of Orks. Still, eventually the Orks got close enough to send Storm Boyz at us... too bad they failed pinning tests and fear tests, and only two ever made it on top of the gargantuan animal and they were promptly murderized, one got itself sliced into very, very many bits by my raptor beast while the other one got ripped into tiny pieces by the Weirdboy's minders. It was sort of a joke fight since the DM hadn't realized how horribly powerful the Fury actually is when it has a chance to shoot at targets smaller than its weight class. I felt kinda sad that I didn't get to hit anything with my shiny new Autocannon, most of my shots missed thanks to rather big modifiers to hit thanks first to distance and then to storm boyz being in flight. I only hit once and rolled really badly and didn't even kill anything, despite the fact that the autocannon rolls three dice for damage. Not fun getting less than ten as a result from 3d10, even with the +8 damage autocannon has it did something like fifteen damage before damage reduction which is not even close to enough to killing an ork. A really weird fight to be honest, for once the non-combat Seneschal actually does something in a fight... And hogs all the glory.

On our way back we go and visit that ony planet with the now dead cannibal governor as their new rulers had found something in a vault and wanted to give it to us - it was some woman in a stasis pod, someone related to Rogue Trader Chorda, one of the two biggest Rogue Traders in the expanse. Intriguing, but we decided to deal with her later and stuck her in a corner somewhere until we'd managed to deal with the Inquisition. So we returned to the cabal with the fifth member of it in tow and the voting commenced again, and we won the vote - the rear end in a top hat that refused to vote last time voted in our favour now, something that if he'd done earlier would have meant that the whole sidequest could have been avoided. Oh well. The Inquisitors had their final statements, Castellan went first and basically went "like hell I'm helping you assholes", the other Inquisitor who voted against us promised her help as she was more willing to go with the Cabal's decision, scheming rear end in a top hat Solomon decided to come to our ship (there was a brief conversation about how many secret labs there are on our ships, and the final count was somewhere in the slightly below 30 range, with him having found 14 of them), the Inquisitor with the Jokaero also came to our ship and then the one who wanted to talk to the Eldar reminded us of our promise to him.

After a bit of shopping there was a short section where I went to talk to the Eldar Autarch about letting the Inquisitor talk to some Farseers about some weird poo poo he wanted to know about. Unfortunately he was very unwilling to organize it, and while he eventually agreed to it he warned that the Farseers were not going to have the answers the Inquisitor was looking for. We went back to talk to the Inquisitor and we figured out that he wanted to talk to the Eldar because he wanted access to the Black Library - something that was not going to happen. Especially since he was asking Craftworld Eldar for that instead of Harlequin Eldar, and he even refused to acknowledge the chance that he would be wrong and that the Harlequins even existed. Not very good for us. We left and promised we were either going to bring him proof of the Harlequin's existence or that we'd be bringing the date and place of the meeting with the Farseer(s), and he did not really seem happy that we'd doubted him. Of course, I knew someone that obviously had met the Harlequins at least once... the Inquisitor who'd been behind the project where my character stuck Tyranid genes into herself had gifted her a Harlequin Flip-Belt as a reward for her help in restarting the 'let's gently caress around with Tyranids'-project a couple sessions earlier. I contacted his right hand man and while he didn't give me any promises, he said he was going to ask the Inquisitor about the Harlequins. Apparantely he was probably going to be a bit hesitant to help though, since this other Inquisitor had tried to burn him alive a few years earlier and the first encounter with the Harlequins had not gone so well - the right hand man had lost his face for the fourth time then. You see, this right hand man of the Inquisitor was DM's old PC from a DH game where both he and I played in (and the Inquisitor was my old character from that), and he lost his face to a cultist's knife in that, and apparantely he has had some bad luck with replacement faces. He did mention he was on his ninth face by now, and he promised to invite me to the party commemorating the inevitable time when he would lose his tenth one.

Our Seneschal also did some shenanigans with some personal project of his: he had some sessions earlier started spreading rumours about this fictional hero guy who wanted to rally everyone against the Orks and now he disguised himself as this guy and got us some mercenaries through that. His grand plan is to eventually fully take this identity and live as it since being a False Man he really has no future, but as this fictional hero of the Expanse... well that's another story entirely. The Orks and I both thought this was a stupid plan and mocked him for it, even stated that Inquisition might be interested in this mysterious hero coming out of nowhere and they might make check him out. Inquisitor Solomon happened to hear this remark while passing by the room where we were talking about this and he stated that Inquisition doesn't actually do that all that often, and the Seneschal tried to use tat as an arguing point. We reminded him that Solomon had said that they don't do that often, but they still do it. Nobody ever takes the Seneschal very seriously. We also bought some guns, armor and so on while in Footfall, but that's what we always do when we visit Footfall. Bigger and better gear is a key part of Rogue Trader experience since only Deathwatch and high levels of Black Crusade have any chance of having as much toys as Rogue Traders do.

And then came time to decide what we would do with the woman in stasis... Well, we figured out that we could probably use her as leverage against Chorda to get her to stop fighting with Winterscale, and Winterscale would probably be easier to convince of the need for peace as long as we could prove that Orks are a real threat. But we were still curious about what was the stasis woman's story so we wanted to talk to her, but we didn't want Chorda finding out we'd talked to her. So we asked Solomon whether he had any mindwipe stuff with him, obviously. He apparantely had and so we begun to plan the interrogation... except that pretty soon we started planning all kind of weird rear end poo poo, like disguising ourselves as Winterscale and a minion, disguising ourselves as Joaquin Saul and a minion, making it look like the room where we would interrogate her was on a planet somewhere, setting a clock in the room to show a date ten years ago in the past and so on. Solomon suggested we'd use paper mache fake Power armours he had for some bizarre reasons for some additional mind gently caress. We declined, especially after finding out they presented Lunar Wolf armour - AKA armour of the legion now known as the Black Legion. There was apparantely a long story behind him having the fake armour... We eventually decided to go with the disguise plan, with the Seneschal disguising himself as Joaquin Saul with his twitch mask while I was disguised as a random nurse with my head turned away from the woman in stasis so she'd never see the details of my face - like the metal mask covering my mouth or my mostly metal covered neck.

She was pretty freaked out when we woke her up, I guess waking up in a random indescript room on a random planet while two people are talking to you from behind a curtain is a bit shocking. Especially since she told us how her cousin had apparantely put her into stasis (that is, Chorda) after forcing her to sign some paper. She had been really shocked by Chorda's behaviour since this happened immediately after Chorda became a Rogue Trader, and the cousin had wanted to congratulate her on her new position, but instead got shoved around by soldiers and stuck in a stasis pod. She was also freaked out by how long she had been in stasis, what had happened to the rest of her family etc. We did have some food out in the room as well, and we told her several times that the food is not poisoned. She did eventually try the food after we left some time later, but not while we were there.
During the discussion our Ork Kommando was sitting in the monitoring room and thought very soon that this whole thing was boring and he tried to gas Chorda's cousin to unconsciousness from there after he thought we'd gotten enough information. Of course, we had foreseen that he might do something stupid so my character had rerouted the gas to go there instead if activated without permission. Of course, being an Ork, he did not really care. He took something like five different doses of the gas on his face because he kept doing stupid things, but none of them knocked him out. Or caused him to hallucinate, since the last batch was hallucinogens. The room's door was also locked and when he got frustrated by how foggy the room now was he broke the door with a power klaw and walked away – and the gases naturally knocked out several nearby random low ranked crew members.

Eventually we left Chorda's cousin alone and waited for her to fall asleep so we could stick her back in stasis, something which took some time because she kept looking out the fake holographic window we had set up (where she saw a fake 'bird' flying around – my genetor and the Ork kommando had stuck some wings on a rat and made it fly in the background of the scene with the help of some strings) and sobbing in desperation at both her situation and the fact that Chorda was a horrible person that had probably murdered the rest of her family. Still she eventually went into the bed we'd prepared for her and fell asleep, after which we stuck her in stasis. Inquisitor Solomon later watched the recordings of the interrogation while eating some popcorn. He really likes us because we are weird rear end shady fuckheads a lot of the time (just like he is), at one point he was going around with a shopping cart he'd filled with random stuff he'd grabbed from different places on the ship, including some random servo skull.

Still that was the end of the session, although we did have this hilarious discussion about how we should wake her up a couple of times more, with always different dates shown on the clock, and always dressed up as different people. The room would always be decorated differently as well, and we had some really bizarre ideas such as first waking her up while disguised as comissars and interrogating her, then the next time we wake her up there'd be our two orks with comissar hats on interrogating her while they claim they are the same two comissars from earlier. This planning was done in character, although we were not quite sure what we could actually gain from all this besides making her completely insane. But our group has never been a bunch of nice people.

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 24, 2014

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
How come your group don't want to recruit her to your crew and help her wipe out Chorda and his whole family so the Warrant of Trade falls to her? Then you'd have two warrants.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Doodmons posted:

How come your group don't want to recruit her to your crew and help her wipe out Chorda and his whole family so the Warrant of Trade falls to her? Then you'd have two warrants.

That was an option we also discussed, although it did not yet get too much support. The more insane "let's rip off Chorda's face and put it on her cousin"-option did garner some support though.

Plus Chorda has already pretty much wiped out her own family because she is kind of a paranoid and power hungry.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Doomsayer posted:

I'm sure those people do exist but I have no idea how to reach out to them apart from the UNR D&D club forum (where all the grognards are, yet where I am indeed looking for people in a desperate bid against hope regardless), the comic book shop (they told me they only do LFG for Pathfinder games), or various "find gamers" websites all of which have yielded little to no results.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't the first time to the making-a-new group rodeo, and that is precisely what I am currently doing, and obviously people who want to play something other than 3.5 exist, it's just that finding these people is drat difficult.

Just make a forum post with something like "Trying to gauge interest in 4E/DW". Describe the systems, say you're looking to get a game together. Don't specify dates, times, whatever. Then you get a list of people actually interested, get their contact information, ask if they like playing Fridays or would rather do your thing another night and keep Friday as 3.5hxc. You'll get a ton of the people you need that way, and if not it'll at least breach the topic with the players.

In fact, just post a thread on the forums asking everyone if it's cool if you run a 4E game in the same room. Act like you never talked with the "leaders". The leaders can't do poo poo about it without looking like complete asshats (which they are), and you have the defense, "I wanted to know what the group thought."

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Word. Do an end-run around their restrictive asses.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Doomsayer posted:

Think of the clerics who'd try to spin it positively. "Yes, kidnapping is involved. But it's only a one-time thing! Come on, you gotta admit it's a little romantic, right?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just ran a session last night where the druids answer to distracting a guy singing sea-shanties to buff himself up was to morph into a cougar whose howls were J-Pop tracks. It was exceedingly successful.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Some months ago, I started running an nMage game for three friends of mine. The players were using an Obrimos physicist, a Moros chem teacher, and an Acanthus sketch artist. The game was amusing in its own way, but it became pretty clear pretty quick that there were differences in vision and personality that were irreconcilable differences in vision and demeanor. The game died right before the conclusion of its major arc.

About two or three months ago, I revived it; a solo game for the Obrimos player, a paired one for the others. The Moros and Acanthus are busily being "traditional" Mages, simultaneously scouring the world for lost knowledge and saving people along the way.

The Obrimos nuked himself back to 1947, founded a new Order, achieved Archmastery on Umbirel, a moon of Uranus (the spirit of which wants/wanted to marry him), and is now trying to negotiate the Magic Geneva Convention between the anarcho-communist wizards he left behind (archmastery took him away for 22 years) and the Seers of the Throne before the two build even more devastating superweapons and they use the Apollo landing as a means to invade the moon.

... You ever look back and wonder if you could predict where something was going?

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013
Been running a gurps game for the 7 months centered around the idea of a post modern fantasy world where magical beings have taken the roles of super heroes/villains. One of my players decided he wanted to be the son of the Lord of Hell and the Mother of all Wyrms. Over the course of the game his antics have ostensibly made him the main character, with the other players playing a speedster, a tinker, and a holy man who are attending hero academy for training. Early on in the game he manage to garner the attention of a being who-will-not-be-named by saying his name three times over the course of a conversation. This has resulted in the creature being "invited" into his world to muck around as he sees fit, mostly just screwing with the erstwhile son of the devil mercilessly. After 6 months of this he's at his wits end, every plan he's tried has met with ruin, he's lost the favor of hell, his allies despise him etc. Fortunately for him, at the end of character creation he decided to use his last few points on secret advantages which I proceeded to spend rather creatively.

Cue waking up in a world where everything is, well, for lack of a better term perfect. Every plan his character has ever tried has succeeded, he is a beloved hero, everyone loves him, he has earned the respect of his father, etc. For you see, in this world a number of important NPCs don't exist for a variety of reasons which led to the events that led to the summoning of the dark creature that has secretly tormented him never occurring; however, even after a careful scouring of the discrepancies between the two worlds, he still hasn't realized that this is the case and after about 3 hours of hyper paranoia looking for the trap that was never to come he has resolved that he never wants to leave this world because everything is perfect here.

What's truly hilarious about this turn of events is the fact that the character secretly has the ability to travel between alternate timelines and that this one is a doomed timeline. In 4 months, in-game-time, the world will be destroyed forcing him to go back to his own world and the events that he left in the alpha timeline are still occurring without him meaning that the longer he is in this, theta, timeline, the worse things get in alpha. What makes this particularly sweet is the fact that he has grown used to the dark creatures meddling and is growing worried that he hasn't seen him in almost a month. By the end of the last session he has mentioned the creatures name twice...

Good times.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Word. Do an end-run around their restrictive asses.

That was actually the very first thing I did! I posted this:

quote:

Hi there! I'm Kevin, I'm new to the club but I noticed a heavy emphasis on D&D 3.5. While obviously that's totally fine, I thought I'd make an offer to DM a different system if anyone is interested! I've been DMing for almost 10 years now, and I'd be more than happy to give pretty much anything a shot. If you're interested, here are the systems I normally play:

Dungeon World (a rules-light "interpretation" of basic D&D that is very fast-paced, intuitive, simple, and fun!)
FATE (another simple system based around bending encounters to your whim and cinematic setpieces)
13th Age (a recent hack of D&D 3.5 with a lot of quality-of-life improvements and 4e sensibilities)
and, of course, I have a soft spot for D&D 4e.

Those are just the ones I've played the most (well, except 13th Age, that's a more recent addition), but I'm also familiar with Paranoia, Dark Heresy, Shadowrun, and a few others, at least to some extent.

Anyway, if you're interested in something new (or something you're already familiar with but want to play anyway!) let me know along with what system(s) you'd be interested in, and we'll try and find time to get a group together!

And then got some replies:

quote:

The people of this club are generally up for anything new and expansive, and this is not an exclusively D&D 3.5 club so new games are encouraged.
If you have an idea for a campaign, session, or set of sessions you'd like to run, advertise the Specific idea and what your game will entail under Upcoming Games, and wait for responses.
^^

quote:

We've already run Dungeon World, Fate, 4e, and Dark Heresy for club. Personally, I've dabbled in everything else besides 13th world as well.
We've also played Don't Rest You Head, Hollowpoint, Legend of the 5 rings, Monster of the Week, Necessary Evil, Call of Cthulhu, Ad&D, Spirit of the Century, Diaspora, and the Star Wars: Edge of the Empires beta in club to name a few.

You underestimate us, sir.

xD

We run things throughout the week that DM's feel like running that semester. Right now it just happens to be Pathfinder on Mondays, Gamma World on Tuesdays, and d20 modern Wednesdays. So if you want to start up a game, just shout it out and see if you get some interest. Thursday is probably best though.

Friday is always 3.5 though, no matter what.

The problem is that whatever the officers think, no one actually reads the forum except them. And why would they? Most people just show up because Fridays at 5pm are the best time (seriously, what normal undergrad goes to a Wednesday afternoon day or whatever? Or would give up such a great drinking day like Saturday?) and it's all set up. But nope, at every turn I just get told "Set it up for a different day than Friday."

As of right now I have a post about a DW game on Saturdays, but no takers. I got a couple nibbles last year (though I had to cancel due to grad commitments) but they were all from the same 8 people that actually read the forum. I'm probably going to go to the club fair today since they have a booth set up and... I dunno. Just look around I guess.

The weird part is a bunch of the ex-officers insist that they used to play all manner of games on Friday, so apparently it's only been this way for a year or two now. But then I try and get the old officers to talk to the new and either they didn't or the new officers lied about it, depending on who you want to believe I guess.

Maybe I could get a bunch of goons to make accounts on the forums and post "Yo why do we never play anything but 3.5 on Fridays?" :haw: (Yes I know this is a terrible idea please don't actually do it)

Sorry, I don't mean to clog up the catpiss thread with petty RPG club politics :smith:

EDIT: I just noticed that when they were telling me to look at the calendar they have an actual calendar of upcoming games on their forum. The only entry? Every Friday: "Adventures in Ayron(3.5 D&D)" :v:

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 24, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Yeah, that group is a lost cause. I've seen a lot of campus organizations die, and it's almost entirely related to something like this: the old guard moves on, and the new guard wants to do something super different, which means anyone who would disagree leaves with the old officers. The people who used to be in charge quit because they didn't want more political bullshit to deal with, and it doesn't seem likely that they'll stir some up for someone they don't know. There isn't much fixing it.

Contact the person in charge of organizing groups and tell them you'd like to start a group, but you need an organizational meeting to get the necessary signature. Get them to get you a room somewhere on Friday and put fliers and chalk everywhere advertising it as an RPG group. Don't mention 3.5 anywhere on the fliers.

You're a grad student, which means you're one soul short of being a full, job-holding adult. To be honest, I've always felt funny about socializing that heavily with people who might show up in my classes. Stop letting undergraduates get under your skin, and go meet some cool people and have a good time.

Also, maybe try to talk to some people who are running campaigns in your area: https://www.obsidianportal.com/map I'm sure there's a ton of cat piss to wade through, but if you can find a solid group you're in business.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 24, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's different over here in the UK, but every regular game I've ever played associated with a university thing has been on a weekday evening other than Friday. Is there a huge thing in the US about not doing anything on a week-night that we never see?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

goatface posted:

Maybe it's different over here in the UK, but every regular game I've ever played associated with a university thing has been on a weekday evening other than Friday. Is there a huge thing in the US about not doing anything on a week-night that we never see?

This, too. In undergrad I ran a semester-long campaign on Wednesday evenings, because undergrads don't have anywhere to be on Thursday morning unless they have terrible schedules and everyone drank from Thursday to Saturday. I've also played Sunday afternoons, Tuesday evenings, and Saturday evenings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

goatface posted:

Eh, it's more just assumed that people have work to do on weeknights. Studying, writing papers, doing assignments, etc. It's not that you can't, it's just a recipe for flakiness.

QuantumNinja posted:

This, too. In undergrad I ran a semester-long campaign on Wednesday evenings, because undergrads don't have anywhere to be on Thursday morning unless they have terrible schedules and everyone drank from Thursday to Saturday. I've also played Sunday afternoons, Tuesday evenings, and Saturday evenings.

I would love to do that! Problem is that I just moved here and don't know anyone. The only people I know who play games are in the club and don't read the forum.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 24, 2014