Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
All this talk about Netflix, Hulu etc prompts me to confide my darkest secret.

:ssh: I literally never watch TV. On a TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The only shows I watch on a TV set are Justified and GoT.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The last broadcast thing I watched was Eurovision. The next broadcast thing I'll watch will be the Winter Olympics, but I'll be watching it on the computer because the interface we had for the Summer Olympics ruled. I just don't see the point of having my cable box connected anymore when I have so much of a better choice online.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actually hate TV

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

precision posted:

All this talk about Netflix, Hulu etc prompts me to confide my darkest secret.

:ssh: I literally never watch TV. On a TV.

I haven't had actual cable TV subscription in two years.

The day I discovered that the old e-mail address I had on my parents' Comcast account would let me access their xfinity on-demand streaming content was a good, good day.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually hate TV

Ditto. 2013-2014 is shaping up to be the most disappointing broadcast season in over a decade. There is literally nothing of lasting worth being produced right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, 2 Broke Girls is still on.

edit: i only found out earlier today that kathy bates was on two and a half men as charlie sheen's character's ghost and she won an emmy for it

Daedo
May 5, 2002

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm the OP of the old one and I might be able to throw together something passable before it airs.

Before you spend any time on this, there's already a Season Two thread here.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

Ditto. 2013-2014 is shaping up to be the most disappointing broadcast season in over a decade. There is literally nothing of lasting worth being produced right now.

I agree

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually hate TV

I thought that was a given in this forum. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Daedo posted:

Too late. :v:

(Honestly that OP is better than mine would have been anyway)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Daedo posted:

I looked for one and couldn't find it so apparently I am blind. Thanks!

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I think either the end of Breaking Bad will go down as the end of our previous historic upswing in television quality, or things like Netflix will up the quality of their own productions soon enough that this season will just be a minor dip in an otherwise golden age. Thier House of Cards and Arrested Development were pretty good but I don't think they'll be going down in history as some of the greats yet.

There is some good stuff coming like True Detective and House of Cards season 2. Nothing I'm super excited about but who knows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sleepy Hollow will totally go down in history. It's the Firefly of the'10s, except it's actually good.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

Sleepy Hollow will totally go down in history. It's the Firefly of the'10s, except it's actually good.

And getting a second season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How is it like Firefly?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

precision posted:

I think it's the X-Files of the '10s, given the fanbase.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I honestly don't know what its fan base outside this forum is, other than "my wife and that one dude I work with".

People I know tend to either not watch anything at all or have weird habits like "owning the complete Friends box set and rewatching it every time I'm at their house".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I convinced a coworker he should watch the show using a simple three word phrase "Zombie George Washington."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mu Zeta posted:

How is it like Firefly?
When I think of Firefly, I think of two things:

1) Cancelled after one season.
2) Execs didn't really care about the show, and aired the episodes out of order.

So yeah, I'm not sure why the comparison is being made.

precision posted:

I honestly don't know what its fan base outside this forum is, other than "my wife and that one dude I work with".

People I know tend to either not watch anything at all or have weird habits like "owning the complete Friends box set and rewatching it every time I'm at their house".
It won the night at 9:00 (but not at 8:00), so people are watching it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 24, 2014

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

muscles like this? posted:

I convinced a coworker he should watch the show using a simple three word phrase "Zombie George Washington."

I went with (pilot spoiler) John Cho, demonic temp.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its really strange the reasons why you like a TV show. Pilot wise, the best I can guess (at least for me) is something new and nothing horrible. And if a comedy, god forbid, something that will make me smile. So turns out I liked Broad City, and I paused to check this, at the 1 minute and 49 second mark. Hope that it doesn't go tits up!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Rake was good! It's fun to kick back and watch Greg Kinnear trying to roll with the punches (many of them self-inflicted).

Beyond that though I don't think there's much else to it, and I suspect it's gonna join that growing list of programs that I enjoy but don't defend.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

DivisionPost posted:

Rake was good! It's fun to kick back and watch Greg Kinnear trying to roll with the punches (many of them self-inflicted).

Beyond that though I don't think there's much else to it, and I suspect it's gonna join that growing list of programs that I enjoy but don't defend.

Thank you for reminding me to set my DVR. :D

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

DivisionPost posted:

Agreed on all points! It was fun and kept me paying attention and obviously has lots of places it can go with all the plot bits introduced in the pilot (hooker, gambling, debts, ex-wife and kid, weekly cases, family he's staying with, police rivalry, etc.), but I think that might be the last collection of words I ever bother writing about it.

Would still recommend a watch though. It was genuinely good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I went with (pilot spoiler) John Cho, demonic temp.

That's the phrase I've been using as bait!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd say Rake looks dumb, but the last two comedies I thought that about were New Girl and B99 so...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think Rake is a comedy.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Nah, it's a comedic drama; while I didn't exactly laugh my way through, I certainly smiled through it. Keegan Joye's kind of an rear end in a top hat, but he's the kind of rear end in a top hat that constantly pays for it, whether it be through direct action or karmic justice. And Kinnear nails it; he manages to make him a likable rear end in a top hat without doing a riff on Greg House. You feel kind of sorry for him in the same moment that you realize that he brings this bullshit upon himself.

But again, it's not like you're missing out on a herald of the next great age of television. It's a law procedural whose main character happens to be a drunken, gambling rear end in a top hat who God kind of hates. If you're looking for anything heavier than that, well, I'll let you know if anything changes, but for now you should keep looking.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
From the commercials, I was hoping Rake would be similar to Shark. I liked Shark. Am I the only one who watched Shark?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Well, they're sure marketing it as one.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

tk posted:

From the commercials, I was hoping Rake would be similar to Shark. I liked Shark. Am I the only one who watched Shark?

Shark was awesome in the same way The Blacklist is awesome: really fun lead actor and completely forgettable supporting cast. I'd love to see James Woods and James Spader have a smarm-off.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Just want to say that the original Rake is one of the best Australian tv shows in recent years. Like any US remake I'm scared they have ruined it, but am cautiously hopeful they've done a good job. Not seen it yet but I will try to soon.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
If it's anything like the Australian one you have got to check out the bestiality episode. I haven't laughed as hard at anything in a long time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Based mainly on recommendations in this thread, I decided to give the first 2 episodes of Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23 on Netflix a try. 2 1/2 hrs later I had watched the first 7 episodes without realizing it, and only stopped because I had to go somewhere. Holy poo poo, this is a good show. Incredibly funny. Amazing.

....I am so sorry for not watching it when it was on. I feel like I was part of the problem. I mean, no, I'm not a Nielson house or anything, but I could have talked about it. Maybe I could have convinced a Nielson house to watch it. Maybe I could have...done something...

I am so sorry.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

thrawn527 posted:

I am so sorry.

:siren: Stop, Collaborate and Listen :siren:

ABC hosed up majorly with DTTB and the episodes aired are wildly out of order. If you've just watched what they call 'season 1' you should be fine, but if you're going to go ahead - make sure you find the revised episode list which means you will see the continuation of Dancing with the Stars properly and you won't have June switching jobs every week. It was such a confusing nightmare, you're so much better off having this opportunity to watch it properly.

e: here's a link which uses the episode names which should make it easy enough - http://www.dreamawalker.com/2013/05/22/dont-trust-the-b-in-apartment-23-correct-episode-order/

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

EL BROMANCE posted:

:siren: Stop, Collaborate and Listen :siren:

ABC hosed up majorly with DTTB and the episodes aired are wildly out of order. If you've just watched what they call 'season 1' you should be fine, but if you're going to go ahead - make sure you find the revised episode list which means you will see the continuation of Dancing with the Stars properly and you won't have June switching jobs every week. It was such a confusing nightmare, you're so much better off having this opportunity to watch it properly.

edit: Never mind, I'll use the link you posted above. Thanks!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh my god, I'm watching the first episode of Hannibal. Has there been anything this beautifully shot on the small screen in a long time? I feel like I'm watching a drat movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Carnivale looked really drat good but that was a long time ago. Hannibal looks awesome throughout the whole season but it bothers me seeing comedians play the bad guys so many times and it's distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I kind of like the casting of comedians. They tend to be pretty good actors - after all, between comedy and drama, comedy's the hard one.

• Locked thread