Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I don't know if this is the best place to find the answer to this question, but here goes.

I'm trying to track down a pre-1990s recording of The Jungle Book. The narrator was a British man with a really deep, sometimes gravelly, distinguished voice. In between chapters, there were interludes of sitar music and ragas. I don't know if it was BBC or not.

I got this on cassette tape for Christmas one year, maybe in 1989. I'm turning up nothing on Google, Youtube, Audible, Amazon, etc. Any help?

This perhaps? The book was published in 1987

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_o1YA1qsc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Zola posted:

This perhaps? The book was published in 1987

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_o1YA1qsc

That's not it, but it's closer. The internet is lousy with public domain recordings, a lot of which are just bad narrators. They really muddy up the search process.

edit: I think I may have found it. It may be a 1975 recording by Ian Richardson. I can't find a sample of it online outside of a torrent, but his voice in other things sounds right.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 6, 2013

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Could it be one of the BBC adaptations?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cnjx2

They were playing this as a repeat earlier this year? This might be a good place to look.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Listening to David Morrissey reading Morrissey's autobiography. I love David Morrissey and he has an awesome speaking voice, he read it very well; I'd love to hear him do more audiobook work. But there's just something about hearing someone do a recording who is not the author of an autobiography which just doesn't quite work. I've never listened to an audiobook of an autobiography before, but figured since I'm a Morrissey fanatic, a David Morrissey fan and enjoyed the book on the first read through that I'd give it a shot. Shame that since Morrissey has nothing else to record these days he couldn't record his own book.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tupping Liberty posted:

Yes, I really like the audio book versions of the Hunger Games. The reader is great at building tension with her voice.

Having now listened to both hunger games and battle royale, I think I enjoyed hunger games more. Ending was a little abrupt but I imagine that's what sequels are for.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I got The Left Hand of God off audible recently since I wanted to re-read the series, and the narrator is not that great. He's kind of a monotone and doesn't do much to differentiate between characters' voices during dialogue, etc. I am not stoked on his job at all however, the book is still solid (if a little overly grimdark a la the Prince of Thorns series) fare.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
The audiobook of Illuminatus! by Ken Campbell and cast is phenomenal, although book 2 and 3 are slightly different people and have a lot less Ken Campbell himself, I think.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

coyo7e posted:

I got The Left Hand of God off audible recently since I wanted to re-read the series, and the narrator is not that great. He's kind of a monotone and doesn't do much to differentiate between characters' voices during dialogue, etc. I am not stoked on his job at all however, the book is still solid (if a little overly grimdark a la the Prince of Thorns series) fare.

If you don't feel like finishing it, Audible will let you return the book for a credit.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Thanks, I've been reading this thread for a while though.

The second book has a different narrator who's way better however, and it wasn't horrific, just not on the level I had wanted for the first book.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Just finished Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. Good book and I thought Will Patton did an excellent job on the audio and made each character unique. I'm not sure on how good his accents are as I'm not American, but they were convincing to me.

Arex
Oct 15, 2012

SO GOOD
Would anyone happen to know if there is an ETA on The Riftwar Saga on audible? It's out on the UK one but not the others.

yoslow
Apr 23, 2006

Yo slow
I have an 8 hour car ride, anyone have any comedy audio book recommendations similar to Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
The David Cross one is pretty solid.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

yoslow posted:

I have an 8 hour car ride, anyone have any comedy audio book recommendations similar to Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt?

John Dies at the End, but it's longer than 8 by a good deal.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I just received an email from Humble Bundle for the Humble Audiobook bundle.

Anyone know if these versions are any good? I know Blood Meridian is a good book and for a little more then five bucks I'm willing to pony up for it.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I'm about halfway through Stephen King's It, someone earlier in the thread recommended the audiobook. I've read it before but not for many years.

I just wanted to say this was a great recommendation. The reader takes the descriptions of Derry and makes them sound like Garrison Keillor doing Lake Woebegone except about factory explosions and child murders and club fires.

The only hard part is him reading Stuttering Bill's lines, but you get used to it for the most part.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
It is single-handedly responsible for my fear of clowns.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

deathmerc posted:

Just finished Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. Good book and I thought Will Patton did an excellent job on the audio and made each character unique. I'm not sure on how good his accents are as I'm not American, but they were convincing to me.

I also just finished this and it was great. I think I'll listen to 11/22/63. Does anyone have a recommendation for any particular Stephen King audiobooks and/or narrators?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I also just finished this and it was great. I think I'll listen to 11/22/63. Does anyone have a recommendation for any particular Stephen King audiobooks and/or narrators?

The Talisman and Black House both have the same superb narrator, Frank Muller, and they're some of King's best books.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I thought 11/22/63 was one of the best books King has ever written, and the narration by Wasson is absolutely top notch. Disclaimer, I really love historical fiction.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Lascivious Sloth posted:

There's the aforementioned "It" with Weber, but I also really liked Holter Graham's narration of Christine.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Stay away from any that he narrates himself, like the first Dark Tower book. I don't know if he did any others, but that one was only barely tolerable.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Currently listening to The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World, which is part of the "Great Courses" series of lectures. Professor Robert Garland has a bit of a speech impediment, and an odd HAbit. Of emPLOYing. A CAdence. Like THIS. But it's a fascinating overview of how it might have been to be, say, an Egyptian slave, or an Athenian woman, or an Alexandrian Jew.

Does anyone else listen to this series? Any recommendations for other lectures?

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
I just listened through Brent Week's "The Night Angel" trilogy and book one of his "Lightbringer" series (The Black Prism is the title). I loved the Night Angel trilogy's reader. He did a pretty good job, decent differentiation between characters without going overboard, and it's a fun series.

Then I listened to The Black Prism, and the reader was terrible. His accent/voice he used for one of the two main characters sounded like a perpetually confused and most likely stoned surfer dude circa Fast Times at Ridgemont High. It made him difficult to take seriously. They changed to Simon Vance as a narrator after that book it looks like, so I must not be the only one who didn't really like it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Listening to Particle Physics for Non-Physicists: A Tour of the Microcosmos then The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World gives you a lot of insight as to wtf actually happens at CERN, especially the LHC. They are both fantastic.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I've been meaning to get into the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, can anyone speak to the quality of that series as audiobooks or should I just get the paperbacks?

Homemaster
Nov 17, 2012

by XyloJW
Have been listening to the Dune audiobook. Not bad, good voices, nice music. Forgot how good audiobooks are for the commute.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
OH MAN THIS THREAD

Here's some of what I've got so far:

Dune - I needed 2 attempts to get through it, the switching between Vance by himself and the full cast kept throwing me out of the story. Vance can be alright but between his alveolar trill and awful Jessica voice it was pretty shaky.

Mistborn Trilogy - Kramer's voice seems way too gravely sometimes and made some of the parkour magic fights boring but is otherwise excellent, and imo he nailed Sazed's voice and manner of speech so well that I'm sure it's part of the reason Sazed is possibly my favorite fictional character, I think.

The Hunger Games and Philosophy - Speaking of gravely voices, I returned this one after 30 minutes of listening. Vanessa Hart has the deepest voice I've ever heard on a woman, worst cadance ever, and a verbal tick where she adds "uh-" to the beginning of words, like "uhbuying". Not sure how she gets by narrating like that.

1632 series - George Guidall does a solid job on these books where a modern-day West Virginia town gets transposed to 17th century Europe during the 30 Years War. Be prepared for more historical, religious, and technology :spergin: than you can handle.

The Hunger Games - Love this series. Carolyn McCormick can't sing though.

The Mote in God's Eye is really good.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany - Grover Gardner :allears: is amazing reading this 57 hour history of the Nazi regime. Aside from being a fantastic book on its own, Gardner seems to channel Shirer himself much of the time, his measured reading allowing the author's utter contempt for the Nazi leadership to blaze through the few times he editorializes.

World of Warcraft: Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War - yay WoW. Justine Eyre is good, especially at depicting Jaina being on the verge of mental breakdown through most of the book.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Satanos posted:

I've been meaning to get into the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, can anyone speak to the quality of that series as audiobooks or should I just get the paperbacks?

I didn't like it.

The audio quality was fine, and the reading was adequate but the story was really really bizarre. It read of author self insert really badly.

I wish I could return it but it was over a year after I bought it that I listened to it, so I'm out of luck.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
For fans of murder mysteries, I highly recommend the lord Peter Wimsey books, written by Dorothy Sayers and read by Ian Carmichael. They are very well read and a great way to get into murder mysteries. Great to listen to in a long car trip.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Florida Betty posted:

Stay away from any that he narrates himself, like the first Dark Tower book. I don't know if he did any others, but that one was only barely tolerable.

Weird. Where did you find that? There are two main recordings. The original by frank muller, who did the first four. And the revised edition by guidall, who replaced muller after his accident

Mullers "Shawshank" was my first experience with audiobooks and was excellent.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Listened to some interesting stuff lately, thought I would share them with you guys.

BZRK by Michael Grant
Really enjoyed this one, its YA fiction but the premise was so interesting it hooked me anyway. The book is about two competing groups who are fighting on a new frontier, inside the meat. In the near future nano technology has become the new weapon of choice allowing for small nano bots to enter the human body and make subtle changes and exert influence over the individual. The world Grant builds is fascinating showing you what it would be like to see and feel everything if you were the size of a dust mite.

Tales of Easie Damasco by David Tallerman
A below average thief is forced to join an invading army after he is caught stealing and gets the honour of being cannon fodder. Some how Easie manages to survive the battle and before he ends up in the front line again he manages to steal a giant and escape from camp. Unfortunately for him the leader of the invading army doesn't give up his possessions so easily and what begins is a chase across the land as he attempts to catch up with Easie. Along the way Easie unwittingly gets caught up in a last ditch effort to stop the invading army when all he wants is to go back to thieving and leave behind all his troubles.

Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs: She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse by Paul Carter
A whole bunch of stories from Carter about his time spent working on oil rigs all over the world. He narrates the story himself and does a great job sharing his adventures. Very humorous looking forward to listening to some of the other books he has done. My favourite story has got to be about the time he had a pet monkey in Borneo although it was a shame how it ended. If you like reading Ask/Tell threads you'd enjoy it.

Influx by Daniel Suarez
The premise sounded great but I am still undecided on this one. What if we were actually more technologically advanced than we thought? A secret government organisation has been secretly operating for the last 60 years controlling the flow of technology so that there was no social disruption in the world and slowly releasing technology to ensure everything ran smoothly. The book's villain is pretty over the top and spends a lot of time making you hate him and the organisation while pushing you to like the protagonist. Except the protagonist is a sperg-goon overlord who is the a master in smug self satisfaction. I listened to the whole thing so it wasn't too bad, doubt I would ever read it again though.

Reality 36 and Omega Point by Guy Haley
A detective/mystery set in the future with the protagonists being an artificial intelligence and a cyborg who are chasing the disappearance of the worlds foremost scientist who pioneered the rights of AIs to be classed as beings who have the right to self determination and should not be slaves to human kind. The book is set between the real world and the virtual realms that were originally designed as a game system but when AIs were granted rights the virtual realms where declared to be protected worlds free of human influence. The book is narrated by Michael Page who does a fantastic job.

Happy Hour in Hell & Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams.
I ended up listening to the second book in the series first by mistake but it was largely self contained so it didn't really matter. Great series so far, it reminds me a lot of the Dresden files. Doloriel, better known as Bobby Dollar is an Angel and an advocate for people who have just died. He is the person that speaks on your behalf at judgement to ensure you end up in Heaven not in Hell. Too bad when Bobby gets his next case the soul he has come to defend can't be found.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

rypakal posted:

Weird. Where did you find that? There are two main recordings. The original by frank muller, who did the first four. And the revised edition by guidall, who replaced muller after his accident

Mullers "Shawshank" was my first experience with audiobooks and was excellent.

How odd. I must have a really, really old version. Probably it didn't get wide release because it sucks so much.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
My reading rate has slowed down over the last 5 years, and I always found traditional using traditional audiobooks to be a bit cumbersome. I recently got a Nexus 5 and a subscription to Audible and simply adore the combo. Anytime I'm bored/tired at home I just lie down and hit play...and of course it's a godsend on the road, and a great motivator for getting to bed early. ANYWAY, here's how I've spent my credits so far:

1st credit: The Second Machine Age (Nonfiction.) Concerning how software/machines will significantly supplant mental labor, and how this is both good and bad. Interesting thesis but I'm always a bit cautious about big claims concerning the future.

2nd and 3rd credits: "Foundation" and "Foundation and Empire" by Isaac Asimov read by Scott Brick. Classics from the 50s I read a dozen years ago. Still compelling.

4th credit: Stephen King's 11/22/63 read by actor Craig Wasson (who I only saw in the 80s Brian De Palma film "Body Double.") I'm currently 10 hours in (out of 30.) Wasson's performance is utterly captivating and King's writing is better than ever.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I just finished listening to 11/22/63. Absolutely loved it. It was captivating from start to finish. The ending 'extra' in the audiobook was really sweet as well, and I love listening to King read his epilogues. The book was great, as I just finished Dr Sleep and I thought this was more epic in nature, although I did enjoy Dr Sleep as well. The amount of research put in to this book must have been incredible. I thought this was a good example of a great ending to a King book. The narrator was perfect at his individual accents, especially the main narrator and Sadie. I think I'm on to Under the Dome next. I hope it meets this standard.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Medicus and Persona Non Grata, by Ruth Downie. Respectively, the third and first books of the Gaius Petreius Ruso series--although the former is a prequel to the latter, so it would make sense to start with Medicus, if you want to check it out. They're mysteries set in the Roman world (Britannia and Gaul, for these), centered around a Roman army doctor and his lovely-but-savage British barbarian companion. Downie is strong on character, setting, and premise, but I find that her stories fizzle out toward the end. Worth a listen, but don't expect them to blow your mind.

Arguably: Essays, by Christopher Hitchens. The first twelve hours of this consist of book reviews. And I was still rapt. Whatever you might think of Hitchens as a person, he could motherfuckin' write.

Animal Farm, by George Orwell. I last read this in the '80s, for class, and the teacher stressed that this was what happens when a nation falls to dread communism. Well, the Berlin Wall was still up and Reagan was still in office, so... yeah. Only no. I'm sure most of y'all have read this, but for those of you who haven't: While it may draw from the Russian Revolution and the Soviet Union, Orwell's target was totalitarianism in all its forms. Richard Brown does an excellent job narrating.

The Retribution and Cross and Burn, by Val McDermid. The most recent books in the Dr. Tony Hill and Carol Jordan series, for those of you who enjoyed the BBC's Wire in the Blood. I loved that show, and I liked the series of novels well enough. These latest offerings, however... let's just say the endings are underwhelming.

Forgery and Counterforgery: The Use of Literary Deceit in Early Christian Polemics, by Bart D. Ehrman. In previous works, such as Jesus, Interrupted, Misquoting Jesus, and Forged: Writing in the Name of God, Professor Ehrman makes biblical textual criticism accessible and enlightening. However, in order to enjoy this book, you need to really care about religious minutiae. I... don't. Maybe you do.

Lectures:

The Secret Life of Words: English Words and Their Origins, by Professor Anne Curzan. I dig etymology. Curzan's lecture series was engaging and informative. If it has a down side, it's that she sounds nervous almost the entire way through. Also, it takes a certain kind of person to find etymology jokes funny enough to chuckle while you tell them, and I felt a bit embarrassed for her at times.

The African Experience: From 'Lucy' to Mandela, by Kenneth P. Vickery. I'd argue that the word "Experience" is misused, here, as it implies immersion in the subject to the degree that the empathetic listener "experiences" how the people in question lived. At 18 hours and change, there just isn't time for this to be anything but a fairly basic overview of events in Africa from the first protohumans to today. And the majority of the course deals with events after European contact, especially over the last 125 years. And Professor Vickery is a white American from the South--and though he obviously loves the land and its various peoples very much, he's not able to give an inside perspective on it. That said, it's a good overview for what it covers. Also, you learn that Shaka Zulu had a small peen.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Audible has a thing for April, buy 4 books with a regular price of $14.95 or more through any of credits, money, or gifts and get a :10bux: coupon.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm listening to the Song of Ice and Fire audiobooks and really enjoying them. The narrator is really good at voices.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

ZergFluid posted:

My reading rate has slowed down over the last 5 years, and I always found traditional using traditional audiobooks to be a bit cumbersome. I recently got a Nexus 5 and a subscription to Audible and simply adore the combo. Anytime I'm bored/tired at home I just lie down and hit play...and of course it's a godsend on the road, and a great motivator for getting to bed early. ANYWAY, here's how I've spent my credits so far:

1st credit: The Second Machine Age (Nonfiction.) Concerning how software/machines will significantly supplant mental labor, and how this is both good and bad. Interesting thesis but I'm always a bit cautious about big claims concerning the future.

2nd and 3rd credits: "Foundation" and "Foundation and Empire" by Isaac Asimov read by Scott Brick. Classics from the 50s I read a dozen years ago. Still compelling.
Dang, Scott Brick narrates the Foundation books? That guy has the smoothest voice I've heard out of the dozens of audiobooks I've listened to in the past four years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Strange Matter posted:

Dang, Scott Brick narrates the Foundation books? That guy has the smoothest voice I've heard out of the dozens of audiobooks I've listened to in the past four years.

Scott Brick is an instant buy for me on any audiobook.

Except Atlas Shrugged. Sorry Scott