Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Doesn't the BSA offer a monetary reward for tips of that nature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Doesn't the BSA offer a monetary reward for tips of that nature?

Sometimes not getting into a toxic relationship of harassment with a former client is worth more than money.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There's really no amount of money in the world worth the hassle of dealing with clients who dumped you

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Make them pay as much as they can upfront but still get yourself in the door to see the damage... then grab "systeminfo" on each machine to see the installed date.

Show them the operating system's installed date is when you weren't under their employment and tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

go3 posted:

There's really no amount of money in the world worth the hassle of dealing with clients who dumped you
Especially when said clients are proven retarded and/or hostile.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume a lot of people have seen this but it reminded me of the water filled comms room

http://usvsth3m.com/post/74285062011/you-wont-believe-why-the-victoria-line-is-currently

Currently ruining the day for a few people no doubt.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Caged posted:

I assume a lot of people have seen this but it reminded me of the water filled comms room

http://usvsth3m.com/post/74285062011/you-wont-believe-why-the-victoria-line-is-currently

Why would they pour in concrete? This doesn't make a lot of sense but who knows.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They were filling in an old elevator shaft that isn't needed any more as far as I can tell. Turns out the shaft was linked to this room.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You're drat right.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Caged posted:

They were filling in an old elevator shaft that isn't needed any more as far as I can tell. Turns out the shaft was linked to this room.

drat that's gonna suck for whoever was responsible for checking for stuff like that.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

The construction worker equivalent of running an untested script on production. To bad they cant restore from backup though!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

The construction worker equivalent of running an untested script on production. To bad they cant restore from backup though!
They can't even drain it to inventory what equipment needs replaced and how it connected.

I hope they have documentation!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

sfwarlock posted:

I do. Hence how I knew about the hour long rant that the nephew (let's call him Sean) went on about me "wasting money": in my billing, in "over"paying for Windows and Office, in "setting up an expensive computer no one uses" (?? I hope he wasn't referring to the DC); and the plan to throw me under the bus when the BSA came by.

I kind of want to quote them a massive gently caress-you rate, like $200/hour, but on the other hand I just don't want to touch the situation at all.

I hope when you saw what the nephew had done you just went "lol nope"
and moonwalked out :slick:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Caged posted:

Now I need a link to this water-filled comms room.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Why are doctors (and medical companies by proxy) such assbags? I hate them so much.

e:

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 23, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

sfwarlock posted:

Now I need a link to this water-filled comms room.

Enjoy:

(At least, this is what I'm assuming Caged was referring to. If not, this picture still rules.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah that was the one. I'd rather water than cement.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Enjoy:

(At least, this is what I'm assuming Caged was referring to. If not, this picture still rules.)

Aww! It's the little fan that could! It thinks it's an outboard motor!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Context: I'm the user-facing support guy for my site (entry-level position, 10 users). There are literally only 2 IT higher-ups, a network guy and a sysadmin, but our company is like ~400 users over 20 sites.

We migrated to a new email address format a few weeks ago. Since then, a few salespeople are having some of their meetings deleted, seemingly at random. The same users are also complaining about other meetings getting time-shifted by arbitrary amounts of time. I've turned on Outlook logs and haven't found anything helpful. I've checked their calendar delegates and nobody's given anybody else editing permissions. Based on my googling, I thought it might have been a sync issue with our old version of MS Dynamics CRM, but apparently it's been happening with appointments that aren't tracked in CRM too. I escalated it to the higher-ups who might actually know what they changed in Exchange, but they pushed the ticket back down to me without a word because they are of course busy.

This is of course a high priority issue that is affecting production. :downs:

Ignoring for a moment that they're sales people and therefore have it coming are likely their own issue's root cause, are they by any chance all iOS users?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Collateral Damage posted:

sfwarlock, I assume you installed the original servers with proper licenses. It might be a good idea to dig up any paperwork you have that can prove that they were in compliance when you left, or at least that anything that wasn't in compliance wasn't your fault.

Apart from that, no money in the world is worth the hassle of dealing with a customer who thinks his nephew can run business IT just because he plays CoD all day.

edit: Slow post.

Give them the gently caress you rate, then talk to a lawyer and have him draw up a release of liability clause for your contract. Expense the legal fees.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Caged posted:

$200 an hour is nowhere near a "gently caress you" rate.

I just paid $250/hr for a network consultant to take 20 minutes to connect to an SG300 switch. And get it wrong when he got in.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

900 tickets came in.

CenturyLink's MPLS is having a pretty bad time tonight.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

single-mode fiber posted:

900 tickets came in.

CenturyLink's MPLS is having a pretty bad time tonight.

I suspected something was going on when all our non-Minneapolis sites dropped off the grid.

And of course, they're all routed through MPLS.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Here's one you guys will like. A couple of weeks back we were at a company-organised event after work hours. A woman came up to me (because I was one of the ones who had organised the event) to ask if I knew whether anyone from IT was here because she was having trouble with her work laptop.

I feigned ignorance.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
rolleyes,

same category - Just got cursed at because I forwarded a caller to contact our outsourced mobile phone support.

If it has electricity, IT guys know how to fix it.

Ah, how I love being in IT.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Eemo1 posted:

rolleyes,

same category - Just got cursed at because I forwarded a caller to contact our outsourced mobile phone support.

And we also know how to get whiteboards and markers in meeting rooms (usually with smartboards already installed)

And we also know where to get business cards because

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

evobatman posted:

And we also know how to get whiteboards and markers in meeting rooms (usually with smartboards already installed)

And also be your personal psychological wastebin if needed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Also, one of the toilets is clogged so since you guys are computer janitors could you fix that please?

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
Sometimes I wonder how do these people survive outside the office. I mean, how do they hook up their TV an sh*t like that at home. Then I get sad and go home and drink beer.

also, I don't get why employees expect the company to buy them everything they need for working in every situation possible. The company does not pay for your clothes or shampoo either.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We got two tickets in a row from a store:

quote:

Good Afternoon, Our Right docking plate in the warehouse is not working properly. It will not open correctly. It pulls up and will not lay flat without someone having to lift up on it to engage. Thank you for your help with this matter.

quote:

Our mop sink in our janitorial closet is leaking around the knob when you turn it on.

Sometimes people submit music issues as facilities requests instead of to us, but we don't usually get them the other way around. This guy isn't new. It's not like it's way less effort to submit a ticket instead of facilities request, either. They're like the same thing. Just...:wtc:

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

Eemo1 posted:

also, I don't get why employees expect the company to buy them everything they need for working in every situation possible. The company does not pay for your clothes or shampoo either.

We just did an acquisition in Florida. While we were down there, we invited the staff to a meeting up at the home office (Boston) in the fall.

Then right there, on the spot: "WILL YOU BUY US COATS, I DON'T OWN A COAT LOL"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have a field sales rep in town from Miami. We're in Madison. It ~5F right now and he has no coat.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW
Jesus. Just.... Jesus.

Funny coincidence: We also did an acquisition in Madison about 2 years ago (Hilldale shopping center; I work for a mall mgmt company.) That was hands-down one of the most bizarre networks I've ever ripped + replaced.

It's a great city, Madison.

CatsOnTheInternet fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 24, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's currently one of the top 3 coldest cities in the US!

Luckily my job is within 1 mile of three different breweries and a rum distillery.

Yeah, I love this town. Not a lot of IT jobs though with the university right here. Super cheap labor.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Eemo1 posted:

rolleyes,

Got a call about how power was out at one of the stores we covered. When I expressed my confusion, I was asked point blank: "Well, don't you guys handle that?"

For a second I couldn't decide between saying: "Have you tried turning it off and back on again?" or "Sure, lemme just push out a patch for that real quick...OK, done! Is it on now?"

Instead, I just told them to contact their District Manager, and that we can only do work on computers that have electricity flowing to them already.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

myron cope posted:

We got two tickets in a row from a store:

Sometimes people submit music issues as facilities requests instead of to us, but we don't usually get them the other way around. This guy isn't new. It's not like it's way less effort to submit a ticket instead of facilities request, either. They're like the same thing. Just...:wtc:

You did send it back with extremely in depth instructions on the correct way to send it right?

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

guppy posted:

Ignoring for a moment that they're sales people and therefore have it coming are likely their own issue's root cause, are they by any chance all iOS users?

I'm looking this up and holy poo poo, iOS can gently caress with Exchange that badly? No, only the manager is using a mobile device and it's an Android. Buut all the affected users have her as a calendar reviewer and are inviting her to their meetings, and we have an older version of Exchange (2007), so maybe it is an Activesync thing.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Seriously though, gently caress printers.

dogstile posted:

You did send it back with extremely in depth instructions on the correct way to send it right?

Sadly they submitted a third ticket that actually belonged to us so we explained on the phone what he should have done with the other two (what he actually should have done, not what we would have like him to do)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

evobatman posted:

I don't even HAVE company business cards, but for some reason I am hit up as well. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Eemo1 posted:

Sometimes I wonder how do these people survive outside the office. I mean, how do they hook up their TV an sh*t like that at home.

They pay for the best buy extended warranty and installation.

• Locked thread