Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

jivjov posted:

I would like to request that EotE dice always displaying graphics of the faces is a feature that would stay around. It's a huge plus for me to see the dice faces with the roll.
Agreed. A big part of the EotE dice system for me is that you can roughly determine where the different results came from. So after a roll, you generally know whether it was your skill, your natural ability, or (more importantly/interestingly) outside circumstances that contributed to your success based on which dice came up with which symbols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Apparently the Corellia book has a slugthrower pistol with autofire. I don't have my books on me; how would that work with Two Weapon Wielding?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm really impressed with the scope of the supplements for this game. So far we've gotten 1 adventure module (with another on the way), 1 career supplement (again, with another on the way and presumably another 4 after that) and a star system supplement. And so far it's not felt like fluff or useless material. Has there been any hints of anything else coming for the system?

Do we thing FFG can keep up this level of output? I would love to have an entire shelf of of Star Wars RPG books...3 core books and beginner boxes, 18 career supplements, god knows how many adventures and other books.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Do we thing FFG can keep up this level of output? I would love to have an entire shelf of of Star Wars RPG books...3 core books and beginner boxes, 18 career supplements, god knows how many adventures and other books.

It's not about "can" but about "will." At some point the number of new supplements sold drops to the point where they make no money on them, and that's when they stop. I believe there is a steady stream of products in development on most or all of their active product lines -- while one is being written, the next furthest one is being edited, the one after that is being looked at by the IP holders, the one older than that in layout, the one after that in proofreading, and the one after that is being printed. The content developers (job posting with test!) have their hands full juggling those. I have done a little freelance work for them and the developers have a LOT going on even from what little I saw.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The "precursor" to EotE as far as FFG goes, Warhammer Fantasy, has 1 huge boxed set, 6 core books, 12 "expansions" (adventures, campaigns, and supplements), and 8 Print on Demand card products. It seems they ran out of steam after making the PoD stuff, with the last book being released in January of last year.

EotE has not only the power of the license, but it also seems to be far more popular than WF ever was.

Orokos
Jul 10, 2013

Too easy~
Added "type" to the results of rolls, and defined what operators are allowed for which types. If you try to do something funny you'll get an "invalid expression" error.

Verbose EotE: 2eP+1eA+1eC+2eD+1eS 3 successes, 1 threat

Live now, let me know how it works out.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That's pretty loving cool dude, and exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a ton!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Played my first session of EotE last night. We're all new to the system, but my group overwhelmingly liked the dice mechanic. We're coming from Dark Heresy and they really liked the narrative aspect of it.

Destiny Points didn't see as much use as I'd like, but whenever I used them the players would too. I'd up a difficulty to a challenge die and they'd spend one to upgrade an ability to a proficiency. Is this permitted? I know you can't spend more than one (do two difficulty to challenge), but is this kind of one-upping allowed?

We also had a lot of hilarious Stealth rolls. The group's assassin tried following Daro out of the cantina in the intro adventure and generated 2 successes and 3 threat. I said that while Daro and company didn't notice him, everybody else in the cantina did. This situation happened a few times - success with threat with no clear consequences. What do you do with threat on successful Stealth roll? On a Perception check to notice you're being watched?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

In that case I'd call it "that scratchy feeling on the back of your hands" and give the watched a few boost dice on their perception check for being paranoid.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

Played my first session of EotE last night. We're all new to the system, but my group overwhelmingly liked the dice mechanic. We're coming from Dark Heresy and they really liked the narrative aspect of it.

Destiny Points didn't see as much use as I'd like, but whenever I used them the players would too. I'd up a difficulty to a challenge die and they'd spend one to upgrade an ability to a proficiency. Is this permitted? I know you can't spend more than one (do two difficulty to challenge), but is this kind of one-upping allowed?

We also had a lot of hilarious Stealth rolls. The group's assassin tried following Daro out of the cantina in the intro adventure and generated 2 successes and 3 threat. I said that while Daro and company didn't notice him, everybody else in the cantina did. This situation happened a few times - success with threat with no clear consequences. What do you do with threat on successful Stealth roll? On a Perception check to notice you're being watched?

RAW you can match Destiny points; it makes those scenes just that much more likely to end with a Triumph or Despair. Some people houesrule that you can't match-spend, and that works out ok too.

When in doubt, cause Strain on successful rolls -- it was harder and more stressful for them to do whatever it was. One tip I got from Jay Little was: on rolls where it's at least somewhat suspenseful, ask the players before the roll "What's the worst thing that could happen to you here?" and if you get a Despair, that's what happened. You could do a watered-down version of "the worst thing" with a pile of Threat.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Yes, this is permitted and encouraged. It's part of the reason why dice are rolled in the open. What I like to do to try and avoid that is put the players in situations they're only a little unprepared for and sometimes they'll use Destiny to "remember" they bought a thing that helps this very specific circumstance.

Destiny points are also a good way for the GM to direct the story more forcefully, but not feel railroad-y. I don't do this often, and maybe I just suck as a GM, but sometimes I really do need my players to be at a certain place in the story and using a Destiny point to more or less guarantee it will be that way. Something silly and cliche like, "Oh, that brand new Hyperdrive of yours," *flip Destiny token*, "Turns out it's defective and you should check on that warranty. Your ship drops out of Hyperspace..."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mustache Ride posted:

In that case I'd call it "that scratchy feeling on the back of your hands" and give the watched a few boost dice on their perception check for being paranoid.

Seconding this suggestion. This system thrives on having little mountains of Boost and Setback dice being thrown around.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

jivjov posted:

Seconding this suggestion. This system thrives on having little mountains of Boost and Setback dice being thrown around.

On that note, how exactly do these dice come into play? To give an example, I added a Setback to the players' Perception check to notice bad guys on the roof since they'd be looking into the sun. Can the players make similar declarations to add Boost? Or are they required to take specific actions?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I cannot get my players to use destiny points at all, even when I've flipped all of mine either they forget they are there or maybe they're just always saving them for when they "really need them".

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Cactrot posted:

I cannot get my players to use destiny points at all, even when I've flipped all of mine either they forget they are there or maybe they're just always saving them for when they "really need them".

Same. My players also won't spend strain :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Clanpot Shake posted:

On that note, how exactly do these dice come into play? To give an example, I added a Setback to the players' Perception check to notice bad guys on the roof since they'd be looking into the sun. Can the players make similar declarations to add Boost? Or are they required to take specific actions?

A lot of talents and species abilities give Boosts for various checks, and I'll generally let players "BS" their way into one boost die (like if they want to say "oh I have a handy railing here to brace my aim against" or "while slicing this computer, the environmental conditions like temperature and seating arrangements are such that I have an easier time focusing" I'll give a boost on it for good roleplaying. Likewise, I'll toss setback dice in if I describe something similar as well)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

I think this one is up to you. If you always let them make those declarations, they always will, which (mechanically) is not a huge effect, but since there are enough things that give boost dice later (as well as paying forward extra Advantage rolled), you might run out of dice. I prefer to let them ask if a given thing is boost-worthy.

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
I really like the system, and just picked up the Suns of Fortune supplement this morning, but the thing I actually find hardest to include or get my players interested in is Obligation. None of them seemed interested in it from the get go, even when I told them that taking additional obligation would allow them to start with extra credits or xp. And now that we've played a bit they really don't have anyone they feel all that obligated to in the first place so after finishing the Beyond the Rim storyline they're more or less free to do as they will.

Is there any compelling reason to using Obligation more forcefully that I'm just not seeing? I think they'd be super interested in the way the Duty mechanic works, so that'll probably get included by the time Age of Rebellion rolls around, but I can't tell if just ignoring a component of the game is actually hampering our sessions or if I can pretty safely ignore it until they join the Alliance and the mechanic they are interested in takes over.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

The Wolfen posted:

I really like the system, and just picked up the Suns of Fortune supplement this morning, but the thing I actually find hardest to include or get my players interested in is Obligation. None of them seemed interested in it from the get go, even when I told them that taking additional obligation would allow them to start with extra credits or xp. And now that we've played a bit they really don't have anyone they feel all that obligated to in the first place so after finishing the Beyond the Rim storyline they're more or less free to do as they will.

Is there any compelling reason to using Obligation more forcefully that I'm just not seeing? I think they'd be super interested in the way the Duty mechanic works, so that'll probably get included by the time Age of Rebellion rolls around, but I can't tell if just ignoring a component of the game is actually hampering our sessions or if I can pretty safely ignore it until they join the Alliance and the mechanic they are interested in takes over.

I feel like you could probably put them in a situation where taking on obligation might be a potential solution to their problem. i.e. hired to burgle a Hutt palace and they get caught but are released in order to do a job for the Hutt (double cross their original employer, etc.) Put a huge dump of obligation on them and the threat that they'd better produce results or else every bounty hunter in the galaxy will be on their tail

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Age of Rebellion Beta is on clearance at Miniature Market for $15.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Picked up Suns of Fortune. Of course the art is just :allears: again. Lots of new crunchy stuff. I love the way FFG does the planet descriptions as a full page with art, and we even get a space station this time (should've done that for The Wheel in Beyond the Rim too).

The binding is a bit odd, it feels like the modules section is bound separately and opens unevenly. Everything else about the book looks great and I can't wait to read up.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Mine's in the mail. How do the Autofire Slugthrower pistols look?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

4 damage, 5 crit...short range on the pistol. Doesn't seem that great.

The rifle is 5 damage, medium range, auto-fire, pierce 1. Says it fires crystals, sounds like the needler from Halo.

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
The slugthrower pistol also has auto-fire which makes it slightly more desirable to take if you've got the skills to rake in the advantage it needs. I still have a tough time with slugthrowers in Star Wars even though I know they exist. Some part of me just can't imagine shooting things with bullets when you can have lasers flying all over the place.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lasers? Archaic too. Blasters fire high energy particle beams :smuggo:

:goonsay: :spergin:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I like the description of slug throwers in Enter the Unknown; they're good for collectors, those who desire the specific challenge inherent to using them, and to circumvent laws and/or security systems that don't allow "real" blaster weapons.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 25, 2014

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
About to make a Human Bounty Hunter, most likely the Gadgeteer spec. Any tips?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Gadgeteer dovetailed beautifully with Mercenary Soldier on my character. I stayed to the left side of that tree with mine. Jury Rigged is one of my favorite talents in the game. Spare clip is good for the smug look on your face when you get to tell the GM "uh, actually I don't run out of ammo." Armor Master ranks are nice, but really only pays off if you go with laminate or higher armor. Tinkerer sounds useful but I never actually ended up needing the extra hard point on anything.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Where do people get the floor plans for the interiors of Star Wars ships? I may need one for the final fight of the intro adventure.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm not sure where to specifically get them, but I have a few. PM me if you want links.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Clanpot Shake posted:

Where do people get the floor plans for the interiors of Star Wars ships? I may need one for the final fight of the intro adventure.

I just google image search whatever ship I want with the word deckplan. There's decent odds someone has spent way too much time working on one.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Has anyone experimented with the new capital ships in AoR? One of my players' Criminal obligation came up and I'm going to have them have a run-in with a Victory Class Star Destroyer. They will have to sort out astrogation to a new planet and make the jump to hyperspace while under attack from the VCSD and possibly a couple squadrons of TIEs. It will just be kind of a tense scene, I'm not expecting their ship (yt-1300) to blow up or anything.

Doing some test rolls, I found that turbolasers are best with minion groups of 5 (instead of the 10 per facing) where I can get successes but not overwhelming successes. That makes it scary and definitely adds urgency (especially since Turbolasers are slow fire) without making it a wipe.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Looking to run the beginner adventure on roll20 next week. I know the rule set is slightly different then the actual core rules. I'm debating if I should have my players create their own characters if they want or have them just use those already made for the adventure. Is it easy to swap out your own PCs for the beginner game? I'm asking cause we are looking to start a campaign if it goes well and maybe we can just keep going after the beginner adventure. But it wouldn't be a big deal to start over with new PCs and starting point.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Looking to run the beginner adventure on roll20 next week. I know the rule set is slightly different then the actual core rules. I'm debating if I should have my players create their own characters if they want or have them just use those already made for the adventure. Is it easy to swap out your own PCs for the beginner game? I'm asking cause we are looking to start a campaign if it goes well and maybe we can just keep going after the beginner adventure. But it wouldn't be a big deal to start over with new PCs and starting point.
There's almost nothing tying the premades to the beginner game adventure. They have some built-in reasons for running away from the Hutt that's chasing them and taking the ship, but that's easy enough to rewrite based on their Obligations. If they want to start off with characters they built it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

alg posted:

Has anyone experimented with the new capital ships in AoR? One of my players' Criminal obligation came up and I'm going to have them have a run-in with a Victory Class Star Destroyer. They will have to sort out astrogation to a new planet and make the jump to hyperspace while under attack from the VCSD and possibly a couple squadrons of TIEs. It will just be kind of a tense scene, I'm not expecting their ship (yt-1300) to blow up or anything.

Doing some test rolls, I found that turbolasers are best with minion groups of 5 (instead of the 10 per facing) where I can get successes but not overwhelming successes. That makes it scary and definitely adds urgency (especially since Turbolasers are slow fire) without making it a wipe.

That all depends on how good their ship is and how good their pilot is. My group's fully modded YT-1300 which at the time had a total of 5 shields (all angled to the same area to make the biggest difference possible) and reinforced hull armor was able to skate past a couple of capital ships (Not actual star destroyers, but some of the smaller ones) without getting blown up, but we were within one or two more hits of being blown out of the sky.

I'm pretty sure that the only reason we actually survived was due to a couple of lucky crits that took out the engines of on one of the ships and sent it careening into the atmosphere and the other ship broke off to try and help it. So basically be careful if you don't want to blow them the gently caress up. I don't know the stats/weapons of a Victory Class off the top of my head, but I would imagine that it would only take one or two lucky hits for it to blow a YT out of the sky.

A couple of bad astrogation rolls will leave them under fire for even longer, increasing the likelihood of them getting blown up.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 30, 2014

Orokos
Jul 10, 2013

Too easy~

Orokos posted:

Also, if anyone using OggDude's builder could help out, export and email me your XML files from that so that I have a nice sample to work with to build and test the online sheet. Thanks!

infidel@orokos.com

A reminder to send me those sheets!

Thanks.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

alg posted:

You could potentially have them run into a random Imperial patrol that has engaged a small force of rebel ships. That way the Imperials would be detaining anyone coming through the system, but the VSD's full attention might not be directed at the PC ship

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
So what's the consensus on suns of fortune? 40 bucks seems like a lot for a supplement.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Huntsekker posted:

So what's the consensus on suns of fortune? 40 bucks seems like a lot for a supplement.

No supplement is worth 40 bucks, but it's definitely worth 27 plus shipping.
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/196298

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I paid the $40 plus tax at my FLGS and it's definitely worth it. The encounters are great and pretty easy to reskin if your group isn't making it to Corellia, two new races and a human variant are nice, and the art and general design are top notch.

• Locked thread