Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

It's not just old men, too. I know a lot of shockingly young men who have sunk a lot of time and money into bargirls here before going home broke and sad. It's astounding.
Yeah, Chair is right. That guy I linked to is like 30 something. The only reason the older guys are more prominent is fairly self-explanatory.

Pilsner posted:

A girl in a Soi 4 bar showed me a pic of her friend who had a Euro "boyfriend". He had bought her a new car for 1.5 million Baht, a house, and given money to her family. He didn't even live permanently in Thailand yet. I was like :stare:. I get the impression it's not an unusual thing, though.
This is really common. Like so common that you can find a documentary on Youtube about this lady whose job it is to sit in the village and write "Dahling, my buffalo sick..." emails for the bargirls back in their villages. It's a non-stop "need money for..." deal and these dudes sitting in a cold, lonely room overseas hand it over in gobs.

Pilsner posted:

Haha, my short name is Alex and I'm from Denmark.
Your days are numbered!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I also know more than one divorced 50somethings in the US who have stripper "girlfriends" that they pay a shitton of money for...

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

eviljelly posted:

I also know more than one divorced 50somethings in the US who have stripper "girlfriends" that they pay a shitton of money for...

None of us are saying this behavior is limited to Thailand. It's just way more prevalent here.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Chair Huxtable posted:

None of us are saying this behavior is limited to Thailand. It's just way more prevalent here.

I guess it's a lot cheaper to do in Thailand and more 'popular'/accepted.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Well, yeah, there are sugar daddies and gold diggers everywhere. I'm from Houston, believe me, I've seen it. I don't think it equates well in either scale or in terms of the nature of the relationship with Thailand, though. It's not some dudes with stripper girlfriends here, it's an entire national industry that has, at any given time, surely tens (hundreds?) of thousands of participants.

I mean there was a mass murder in Norway a few years ago and there were a few last week in America, but I wouldn't compare mass murders in Norway to America.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So, doing some reading online it seems like I might as well just overstay a Thailand tourist visa and pay the 20,000 baht on my way out. Which is just north of $600 it seems. I plan to stay 6 months but it could be shorter or longer. Most likely a bit longer. Very few Muay Thai gyms seem to offer an educational visa and it seems like an all around hassle to stay any longer than 3 months, anyways. I understand this carries a risk and from google it seems like dudes overstaying a year or two got a couple nights in jail. Seems like people under a year were fine just paying their fine and then going on their way. Still being able to return as well. Plus, yeah, any sort of legal trouble is a risk as well but I'm not really going to be partying or doing anything crazy.

I read somewhere online that they were planning on making visas easier to attain for people who go to Thailand strictly to train Muay Thai. Unfortunately it was from 2010 and I haven't read anything else on it.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Christoff posted:

So, doing some reading online it seems like I might as well just overstay a Thailand tourist visa and pay the 20,000 baht on my way out. Which is just north of $600 it seems. I plan to stay 6 months but it could be shorter or longer. Most likely a bit longer. Very few Muay Thai gyms seem to offer an educational visa and it seems like an all around hassle to stay any longer than 3 months, anyways. I understand this carries a risk and from google it seems like dudes overstaying a year or two got a couple nights in jail. Seems like people under a year were fine just paying their fine and then going on their way. Still being able to return as well. Plus, yeah, any sort of legal trouble is a risk as well but I'm not really going to be partying or doing anything crazy.

I read somewhere online that they were planning on making visas easier to attain for people who go to Thailand strictly to train Muay Thai. Unfortunately it was from 2010 and I haven't read anything else on it.

Uh, why don't you just get tourist visas like everyone else? Double entry from Vientienne means you get to stay 60 days, plus an extension gets you 30 days more, then you leave an come back to get 60 days more, then extend again for 30 days more. Almost 6 months.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah and a multiple entry from your home country should be a foregone conclusion. Just get a multiple entry tourist visa from your country's local Thai consulate or embassy, don't overstay.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Christoff posted:

What? No. Don't overstay your visa. You can make a visa run with a service to get a 2 month tourist visa for 5k baht. This includes all transportation, both your Laos and Thailand visa, accommodation and food. Plus it's not illegal.

It is easy as hell to get a visa here. If you're for some reason strongly opposed to getting a double entry tourist visa, get an education visa from one of the thai schools nearby where you're studying muay thai. Where are you studying muay thai, anyway?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Chair Huxtable posted:

Serious answer: It's sort of like Reindeer was saying before, about like calling to like. If you're a mess of a drunk that can't get a date back home, then you can go to the bar here and find yourself a "pretty" girl who is also kind of a mess.

Well, this line of discussion is certainly playing into my decision-making process on whether I should go check out Soi Cowboy on my last night in Bangkok :stare:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't be a creepy sex tourist? Nothing complicated. Just because you go doesn't mean you are a whore monger

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
For pure voyeuristic fun, I'd recommend Nana. I've really never seen anything like Nana anywhere. There's much more dense sex tourism in Pattaya from what I saw, but for sheer, almost David Lynch style chaos and absurdity you have to go to Nana. There are a couple of bars where you can get a seat on the rail overlooking the street and just have a been and watch it unfold. If someone approaches you, you can politely decline.

EDIT: Cowboy can be sort of fun to grab a beer in and stare at, but it's much less of a spectacle and much more down-to-business really. Other than that one bar on the corner that looks like an English pub, I can't think of anywhere you could really just sit around drinking a beer without being hassled constantly.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 24, 2014

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

caberham posted:

Don't be a creepy sex tourist? Nothing complicated. Just because you go doesn't mean you are a whore monger

Right, but my intention would be to be a whoremonger. To the list of new experiences I've had on this trip, which currently includes such things as eating unrecognizable street food, climbing a cliff with monkeys scampering above (and, once, below) me, figuring out how to get to my hotel from the BKK airport, and scrambling through some really neat jungle terrain, I could add "soliciting a prostitute." I'm not particularly excited by this idea, it's more a question of balancing whether I'll regret doing it more than I'd regret not taking the opportunity when I had it. Everybody who I told I was visiting here already assumes that that's why I'm here, so that's no concern.

As you can probably guess, getting attached is not a concern for me :spergin:

Edit: Or maybe I will just go to Nana and watch, since that is recommended...

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The philippines have much of the same culture. Whenever anyone has somebody over from the wedt, we always show them a few of those places for shock value. One place has a boxing ring that alternates between strippers and midget boxing, and no one believes me when i tell them. Then they get here and their minds are blown.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

ugh we hung out with a lady in Dumaguette who lived up in the mountains but came down on nights to sell herself. It was pretty clear none of us would buy her services but we asked how much she usually charges and she said 200 pesos (US$4) :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yoda Threat Level: Orange

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sorry what do you mean by getting attached? I'm confused, mind if you spell things out for me?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
^^^ Look at the end of the last page.

Regardless, I'm not asking for advice, the Yoda warning is unnecessary.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I'm a sucker for mythology and history and the story of the Hoan Kiem turtle makes me sad. The last of its species which has so much symbolism attached to it in Vietnamese history. Much will be lost when the species is extinct.
The entire lake area in Hanoi is very pretty right now with the Tet decorations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

it's more a question of balancing whether I'll regret doing it more than I'd regret not taking the opportunity when I had it.

Yeah, I know I'll always regret the time I could've paid to contract Hep C...

You are a creeper. Hookers are people too, even third world minority ones. Just because people assume the worst of you is no reason to prove them right.

Also you can completely forget about being treated with any form of respect from any respectable Thai person if you're seen in public with a prostitute.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Well, I went to Nana Plaza, walked around for a few minutes, felt thoroughly out of place, and left. So that settles that.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Welp that was anticlimatic.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

Welp that was anticlimatic.
In more ways than one.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
^^^ What he said.

Sorry for not giving you all a proper trainwreck to spectate :v:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Kylaer posted:

^^^ What he said.

Sorry for not giving you all a proper trainwreck to spectate :v:
You are LETTING US DOWN HERE OKAY.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Not the only thing being let down :flaccid:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

He could still fall in love with a bargirl, there's still hope!

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Oracle posted:

He could still fall in love with a bargirl, there's still hope!

I had a friend in Vietnam who had a 5 months relationship with a bargirl, without him knowing she was a bargirl (she never asked him for money or to buy things, etc.) When he found out, he got angry and broke up with her, she promised she would stop, he believed her, I found out she never did stopeed, told him, it all exploded in a colorful drama bomb.

Good times.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Kylaer posted:

Well, I went to Nana Plaza, walked around for a few minutes, felt thoroughly out of place, and left. So that settles that.
If you didn't go inside any bars, you didn't really experience it. But okay, different strokes...

Going into a ladyboy bar for the first time was quite an experience. :D

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Pilsner posted:

If you didn't go inside any bars, you didn't really experience it. But okay, different strokes...

Going into a ladyboy bar for the first time was quite an experience. :D

I went to Bangkok and I didn't go into a ladyboy bar. Did I do Bangkok wrong?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My loving mailman here in New York found out I'd lived in Thailand and after winknodding me told me a whole story about his teerak and she's so sweet and going to school with a little money he sends her and she's having a hard time right now because her grandma is sick. Showed me her picture in his phone and she had bleached hair, super Issan face, and choppers. Update just a few years later and he'd brought her over.

Bargirl love can come true! You just have to be such a dope that you never notice what's going on, such a sad sack that no one else pulls you aside to warn you, and your object (of affection) has to know how to shear a sheep rather than skin one.

One last twist that hasn't been discussed here really is that while this is definitely a female dominated industry there are plenty of Thai boys pulling the same shenanigans. It's only a matter of time going out in Thailand until someone starts telling you "I have German boyfriend, I have British boyfriend, they help me every month" not exactly in a tone of pride, but anything very like that.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's true, yeah. I mean I'm a cisgendered hetero gently caress or whatever, but I used to work around a shitload of gay and lesbian foreigners and they constantly had "dates."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Oracle posted:

Yeah, I know I'll always regret the time I could've paid to contract Hep C...

You are a creeper. Hookers are people too, even third world minority ones. Just because people assume the worst of you is no reason to prove them right.

Also you can completely forget about being treated with any form of respect from any respectable Thai person if you're seen in public with a prostitute.

Yeah, hookers are people too! Dirty, filthy people who have dirty, filthy diseases!

Look, prostitution, especially in South East Asia, is a really complicated issue with varying degrees of consent and agency. Some of the girls are just in it for the money and see it as a job, some are forced into it by their families, and others are basically sex slaves. But if you actually care about their plight and the underlying issues that have created the industry, what you shouldn't do is demonize the girls for the work they do. A lot of these girls actually do want to get out someday and live "normal" lives, but if they carry the stigma of being a "dirty whore riddled with venereal disease" no matter what, that becomes increasingly difficult for them to do.

And besides, while proper condom use doesn't prevent all STDs, it is effective against the serious ones. And Hep C is actually a really lousy example because there's not even conclusive evidence that it can be spread sexually, and a condom would prevent transmission anyway.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS7hZhO0ee8

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
I've had to wear a jacket the past few mornings and even that's not almost enough. What that hell is happening here, Thailand?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, up in your neck of the woods people who live up in the mountains end up dying. Don't be a thread martyr, MothraAttack!

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

I see you cleverly trying to turn the conversation from prostitutes. It probably won't work.

But you're right, it's loving cold. And not showing any signs of getting warmer. Is there a genius scientist somewhere in this thread that can explain what the gently caress is wrong this year?

Edit: No way, Reindeer. I buy beer for people all the time.

Chair Huxtable fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 25, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You not go tham boon.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yesterday we had a cold weather warning in HK. It was 15 degrees Celsius.

Oh and 2 babies died the other day because of the cold weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

caberham posted:

Yesterday we had a cold weather warning in HK. It was 15 degrees Celsius.

Oh and 2 babies died the other day because of the cold weather.

I'm planning on taking a rain jacket and a sweater to Hong Kong / Thailand. Will these cover any extremes in February?