Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TheReverend posted:

For ~reasons~ I need to change providers fro VZW to ATT in April.

Are there any new phones coming out around then or should I just Nexus5 it?

If you're not one of those people repelled by the ***non pure touchwiz/sense*** experience, the Galaxy S5 and whatever HTC's followup to the One is will probably be out around that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Oh ok cool.
I can also wait a few months too so it doesn't have to be immediate.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SwissCM posted:

I'm looking for a waterproof phone. The selections are pretty slim, am I right in guessing that the Xperia Z1 is the best choice at the moment?

Yes that is by far the best choice at the moment.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

dentata posted:

I think there is an "active" version of the S4 which is dust proof and I believe also waterproof? I remember seeing it in a dumb AT&T commercial where some kid spilled jelly on his dad's phone.

Stay away from the s4 active it's actually not waterproof despite the claims (Google it) and ATT only. Right now they will replace s4 actives killed by water damage but it seems like a total failure of a product to not do the one thing it claims to, also it has touchwiz. The Z1 is pretty close to stock plus having the best android camera for now.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

bam thwok posted:

Not fumbling for a cable that falls off the night stand. Not worrying about a bent cable that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't unless you position it juuuuust right. Not trying the cable in one orientation, flipping it over to try the other way, then over again until magically it fits. Not worrying about wearing out the port. All the little annoyances that you never really noticed until they're history.

Wireless charging is great. I don't think I'd consider buying another phone without it unless there were a really killer reason.

They also charge MUCH slower.

And you can just use a paper binder clip to keep your cable on your nightstand or whatever.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

TheReverend posted:

For ~reasons~ I need to change providers fro VZW to ATT in April.

Are there any new phones coming out around then or should I just Nexus5 it?

Galaxy S5 should be out around then and new HTC phone a few months prior.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

TLG James posted:

If your phone doesn't get at least 4-5 hours of uninterrupted time to charge every night you might want to see a doctor about your chronic insomnia.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TLG James posted:

And you can just use a paper binder clip to keep your cable on your nightstand or whatever.
The Tylt Vu doesn't :smug: and it also owns. I'd never buy a non-wireless charging phone again, it just owns too hard.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

e:weird

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
So my on-contract Galaxy S3 died and I'm getting a used, unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 off Swappa for cheap to hold me over until the S5 comes out and I can renew my contract (unless the S5 isn't that big of a jump and then I'll just wait longer). Do I need to go to the AT&T store to have them gently caress with my SIM card before it'll work in the Galaxy S4 or will it just work when I switch it over? I never understood this thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

Solution: stop buying lovely unbranded £10 chargers from eBay.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

deong posted:

I've got a play store galaxy nexus, and I'm looking to sell it. Is swappa the best place?

Amazon.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

fookolt posted:

So my on-contract Galaxy S3 died and I'm getting a used, unlocked Samsung Galaxy S4 off Swappa for cheap to hold me over until the S5 comes out and I can renew my contract (unless the S5 isn't that big of a jump and then I'll just wait longer). Do I need to go to the AT&T store to have them gently caress with my SIM card before it'll work in the Galaxy S4 or will it just work when I switch it over? I never understood this thing.

You just swap the sim out you don't even have to tell them anything.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

fookolt posted:

Drop your existing SIM into your new phone and then enjoy the new phone. That's the point of SIM cards. No carrier intervention unless the SIM breaks or you need a differently sized SIM.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
As my earlier 100 posts definitely alluded to, I'm new to Android. I see that there is an option to set up Wi-fi Hotspots. If my cell phone plan doesn't have tethering enabled, would this run afoul of them or does this fly under the radar as an OS thing? I have AT&T GoPhone prepaid on the $60 plan if anyone is familiar with it. I'd really just like to throw my iPad on the tether when possible and very rarely my laptop.

Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TraderStav posted:

As my earlier 100 posts definitely alluded to, I'm new to Android. I see that there is an option to set up Wi-fi Hotspots. If my cell phone plan doesn't have tethering enabled, would this run afoul of them or does this fly under the radar as an OS thing? I have AT&T GoPhone prepaid on the $60 plan if anyone is familiar with it. I'd really just like to throw my iPad on the tether when possible and very rarely my laptop.

Thanks!
The carrier will block the tethering.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

TLG James posted:

Most everyone without a wireless charging device/charger fails to see the point of it. It seems like such a minor, inconsequential thing.

Conversely, almost everyone who has will never go without it again. Think about that.

Also, as Tunga says, the days of slow charging are fading fast - Don't buy lovely chargers. Hell, my Tylt charges my N5 as fast as a plug and is a kick rear end nightstand to boot.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

LastInLine posted:

The carrier will block the tethering.

Doesn't this depend on the phone being carrier branded vs. unlocked? I used to use my Galaxy Nexus as a wifi hotspot all the time and At&t never did anything even though I am told they can see I am tethering. Of course my carrier branded HTC One can't do this since I don't pay for that option.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

Doesn't this depend on the phone being carrier branded vs. unlocked? I used to use my Galaxy Nexus as a wifi hotspot all the time and At&t never did anything even though I am told they can see I am tethering. Of course my carrier branded HTC One can't do this since I don't pay for that option.
Android 4.4 now actively reports you.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Well that's lame :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

Well that's lame :(
It's far more lame that the carriers block it. At least T-Mobile now includes a small amount of included tethering with all their Simple plans but yeah, if you have 4.4 there is a flag that the OS sends saying it's tethering that I know T-Mobile checks for which if you're rooted and care to do a little SQL editing you can get around.

I do not know if AT&T looks for the flag but they're the most aggressive at looking for tethering (up to and including simply changing you to a tethering plan if they suspect you of doing it) so if they aren't checking now I would expect them to soon do so.

It's ridiculous that carriers are allowed to do that on metered plans but welcome to the USA.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

big mean giraffe posted:

This is a terrible idea to use on an LCD and will make a huge impact on your battery life.

Nope, it only turns the screen on for a preset amount of time, I have mine set to one min cause its usually sitting in front of me at my desk at work. The screen lights up and I press the notification button on the screen and it shows me the message body and who sent it. I can either swipe to unlock, swipe to dismiss or swipe to turn off screen and save notification for later. The app has options for breathing notifications that will turn the screen on again after a set amount of time, and also an option to turn the screen on if taken out of your pocket or picked up from the table when its face down. I don't use those options because they will drain your battery.

As a simple lock screen notification tool it looks and works well. Doesn't drain the battery at all.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

LastInLine posted:

It's far more lame that the carriers block it. At least T-Mobile now includes a small amount of included tethering with all their Simple plans but yeah, if you have 4.4 there is a flag that the OS sends saying it's tethering that I know T-Mobile checks for which if you're rooted and care to do a little SQL editing you can get around.

I do not know if AT&T looks for the flag but they're the most aggressive at looking for tethering (up to and including simply changing you to a tethering plan if they suspect you of doing it) so if they aren't checking now I would expect them to soon do so.

It's ridiculous that carriers are allowed to do that on metered plans but welcome to the USA.

Amazingly the only carrier who just said gently caress it and makes it available on their plans is Verizon, which just seems sorta bizzaro world backwards.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ninmeister posted:

Amazingly the only carrier who just said gently caress it and makes it available on their plans is Verizon, which just seems sorta bizzaro world backwards.

If I recall correctly this was due to an FCC (or maybe court?) ruling and is definitely not the result of a spontaneous outburst of goodwill on their part.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Nah, the more you tether the more data you'll use and the more money you'll have to give Verizon if you go over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Part of the reason I went with the Nexus 5 over the Moto X (the main one was the price still sucks in Canada, and also you look like a jackass talking to your phone) is because I can't see leaving my phone's screen uncovered so active notifications do nothing for me.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
ATT shared plans allow tethering.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Part of the reason I went with the Nexus 5 over the Moto X (the main one was the price still sucks in Canada, and also you look like a jackass talking to your phone) is because I can't see leaving my phone's screen uncovered so active notifications do nothing for me.

Do you physically keep objects on top of your phone at all times? Seems pretty weird.

KuNova
Oct 12, 2005
I REPORT MODERATORS BECAUSE I'M FUCKING RETARDED
Could someone recommend me a good wireless charger for home use for a Maxx? It would be much appreciated.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

KuNova posted:

Could someone recommend me a good wireless charger for home use for a Maxx? It would be much appreciated.

Get a Tylt Vu. The Ghost charger that Verizon sells also works okay and is a bit cheaper, but it's honestly worth the extra money for the Tylt.

Don't get a Nexus charger.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Why is the Nexus 5 $480 on Amazon but $400 on Google Play? Am I going to have any issues getting it from Google Play and using T-Mobile? I assume I just need to buy the phone then take it in to a store and sign up for a T-Mobile non-contract.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Penguissimo posted:

Get a Tylt Vu. The Ghost charger that Verizon sells also works okay and is a bit cheaper, but it's honestly worth the extra money for the Tylt.

The Nokia 910 is pretty decent too (or the 900 if you don't want a stand). Doesn't charge as fast as the Tylt but does a decent job and is a lot cheaper.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Penguissimo posted:

The Nexus charger owns if you have a Nexus 5 or 7 but the Tylt Vu will be better on something lacking the magnets (like the MAXX).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Seconding (thirding?) the TYLT Vu. It's a solid piece of equipment, the build quality is top notch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I like the TYLT Vu so much, I bought two (one for my MAXX and one for my N7).

This is after previously buying the LG puck.

The puck now lives at work if I find myself needing to charge my phone there for some weird reason.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

dongsweep posted:

Why is the Nexus 5 $480 on Amazon but $400 on Google Play? Am I going to have any issues getting it from Google Play and using T-Mobile? I assume I just need to buy the phone then take it in to a store and sign up for a T-Mobile non-contract.

Everyone seems to be marking it up. You are better off buying from Google. You won't have any issues buying it there and using it on TMobile.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Do you physically keep objects on top of your phone at all times? Seems pretty weird.

I need a flip cover on it because leaving the screen exposed in the various things I tend to carry it in can only end badly.

I mean I guess I could put it on my desk with the cover flipped behind if I had a Moto X, but 99% of what I get throughout the day are work emails anyway, and with the awful Exchange issues in KitKat I see those on my computer well before my phone gets them.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Shadowgate posted:

Everyone seems to be marking it up. You are better off buying from Google. You won't have any issues buying it there and using it on TMobile.

Cool, so if the S5 comes out and ends up being something I really want I can just buy one of those, swap my sim card into it and sell my Nexus 5 for near cost? Wow, coming from Sprint, traditional contracts, and an iPhone is a big change.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Aphrodite posted:

awful Exchange issues in KitKat I see those on my computer well before my phone gets them.
I've never heard of this before, is there a bug report for it? My Nexus 5 consistently notifies me of emails before my wired work desktop does, even though I don't expect it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
The Nokia slab has been pretty good for charging the maxx too.

• Locked thread