Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonge
Dec 7, 2013

mister mackerel

Attestant posted:

Microsoft is apparently doing a thing that certainly has implications for Youtube LP's:

NeoGAF: Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

While it's not exactly exclusive to LP's, it definitely qualifies as a large company taking proper interest in youtube gaming content and meddling with it for their own monetary gain. It'll be interesting to see if we'll get some big name youtube LPers making some very pro-Xbone content thanks to this.

I know it's not inherently an LP exclusive approach but now I have a mental image stuck in my head of the marketing guys at Microsoft trying to pitch that incentivizing the little screamy, sweary man in the corner of these videos was going to be the next big thing in getting good publicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Jonge posted:

I know it's not inherently an LP exclusive approach but now I have a mental image stuck in my head of the marketing guys at Microsoft trying to pitch that incentivizing the little screamy, sweary man in the corner of these videos was going to be the next big thing in getting good publicity.

What, you mean Bonzi Buddy?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I have to thank this thread for introducing me to this DSP guy. Just poking through the "best of" type things and he's hilarious. :allears: His laugh is annoying though.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
HOC gaming.

Youtube only and a little too concerned with subscribers and views, but the quality is good and he is really good at Kerbal Space Program, as well as being super knowledgeable about the subject. I don't watch his non kerbal stuff so I can't speak for that though.

Sorry if this has been mentioned early in the thread, I went back about 6 pages and didn't see anything

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
A friend of mine just started up a channel where he's been uploading competitive Pokemon matches. For being brand new to Youtube, and only really being exposed to let's play from there, he manages to not break all the rules. Granted, he does remind you to like and subscribe, and occasionally talks in an odd voice, but never really goes over the top. He's at least very knowledgeable about competitive play, explains his thought process pretty well, and seems to be trying to use different team configurations in his videos. If you're into Pokemon at all, why not check him out. I'm not saying he's the greatest, but for never having any video experience, he's not too bad, in my opinion.

heytallman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 24, 2014

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Since Bobbin Threadbare started replaying Deus Ex I though I'd also mention ChristopherOdd. He does blind (sometimes day-one) LPs, but I quite enjoyed watching him figure out the original Deus Ex since he really gets into good stories.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Defender's Quest is an interesting hybrid of Tower Defense and RPG that's pretty great in my opinion. What's really great, though, are the developers behind the game. Two of the three of the main developers (Lars Doucet, Programmer/Generalist, and James Cavin, Writer) started an LP on their YouTube channel. It seems to either be abandoned or on hiatus at the moment having last been updated about 7 months ago. They are currently working on the sequel game though, so I imagine that's taking up all of their time right now.

As for what's there, it's merely okay as far as an LP goes for showing off a good chunk of the game. Instead, there's tons of excellent commentary about the thought behind almost all of the gameplay elements and design as well as story and a little about the art. Even if you aren't at all interested in either Tower Defense or RPGs I would highly recommend checking it out if you're even a little interested in game design, writing, world building, play-testing, budget restraints and the challenges of making all of the above work together to make an interesting game. Quick note: the playlist I linked doesn't have episodes 11 or 12 but they are on the channel and should show up in YouTubes recommendations.

I'd also recommend Lars' blog as he posts more interesting stuff there as well. A few personal must-reads:

The Stegosaurus Tail
How long term support of Defender's Quest has paid off for Level Up Labs and a little look as to the why behind it. Also includes a very quick parenthetical as to why developers can't disclose some distributors exact sale numbers anymore.

Story-Telling as Problem Solving
A common issue often written off as a necessary evil in game development is the disconnect between story and game design; things like resurrection spells and items not working on cutscene deaths for a quick example. This is a personal bugbear for both Lars and James and this post was a GDC talk they presented last year as to how working around the problem helped them write the story for Defender's Quest and ultimately helped make it better than it otherwise would have. You can listen to it while watching the slides if you want to instead.

Tourette's Quest and the follow-up post
This was a side project that Lars worked on a couple years ago after releasing Defender's Quest on Steam so he wouldn't burn out on supporting DQ. Heavily inspired by FTL, Binding of Isaac and Zelda, it was a little project he shared to kind of show what it's like to live with the symptoms of Tourette's Syndrome, which Lars has. Aside from that, it's also another interesting look on how iteration during game design happens.

Lars is also behind WhoLetsPlay, a site and wiki for people who monetize game videos on YouTube that has some info, tips and a list for developers that probably won't screw you out of your livelihood. Gamasutra has a little article about it and there's a couple posts on his blog about it as well.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

heytallman posted:

Granted, he does remind you to like and subscribe

To be honest, I'm starting to wonder if this is just sort of a necessary evil you have to do on YouTube because the market is flooded with Let's Play. It's "gaming the system" (the likes, anyway - they make you bubble up in YouTube's search algorithm) but I guess if you want people to see your video?

I don't know, I don't see myself doing it, but I'm starting to begrudge people less.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Out of curiosity, what made you stop playing online in Dark Souls slowbeef? Also your curse resistance is mainly afflicted by your humanity counter the higher it is the more curse resistance you have. With 0 and no appropiate defense gear the bar is so tiny that it's almost unavoidable getting cursed unless you know what is going to happen.

Also apparently in early version/development curse could stack up to 3 times in a row, good thing that's not in the game anymore eh?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 24, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

Slowbeef posted:

To be honest, I'm starting to wonder if this is just sort of a necessary evil you have to do on YouTube because the market is flooded with Let's Play. It's "gaming the system" (the likes, anyway - they make you bubble up in YouTube's search algorithm) but I guess if you want people to see your video?

I don't know, I don't see myself doing it, but I'm starting to begrudge people less.

Just look at it as the youtube version of having to constantly ask goons not to post spoilers in SA lets plays.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's mostly okay if it's a line at the end of the video or something, especially if you're trying to do it as a job or something. It's just annoying when half the screen is taken up by DAILY VLOGS LIKE SUBSCRIBE CHECK OUT MY MARIO LP FAVOURITE NEXT VIDEO LAST VIDEO MINECRAFT EPISODE 300000 annotations.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

Out of curiosity, what made you stop playing online in Dark Souls slowbeef?

It's been a technical comedy of errors. But the latest is, I finally got an Elgato HD Game Capture device, so I can output to 720p!

Wait, what's that? There's a delay unless you play on a TV? So you're kind of tethered to whichever HD-capable TV your wife's not watching? (SD sucked, but I could play off my laptop which meant it was really easy to capture).

Wait, what's that? You still have a launch day PS3 with a 20 GB HDD and no Wifi? And you'd have to stretch an Ethernet cable across your living room to the PS3?

Wait, what's that? The Steam version has better resolution and obviates all of this? But you're already invested a bunch of time and have like a level 40 character in Blighttown?

So basically it's a combination of "I know I have a longer Ethernet cable somewhere around here..." and "Well, as soon as there's a Steam sale, I have to pick up Dark Souls and play on PC... but what the hell do I do about my progress?" (I've heard you can do save hacking and sort of 'remake' your character, but I'm not sure how well that would work out.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Slowbeef posted:

It's been a technical comedy of errors. But the latest is, I finally got an Elgato HD Game Capture device, so I can output to 720p!

Wait, what's that? There's a delay unless you play on a TV? So you're kind of tethered to whichever HD-capable TV your wife's not watching? (SD sucked, but I could play off my laptop which meant it was really easy to capture).

Wait, what's that? You still have a launch day PS3 with a 20 GB HDD and no Wifi? And you'd have to stretch an Ethernet cable across your living room to the PS3?

Wait, what's that? The Steam version has better resolution and obviates all of this? But you're already invested a bunch of time and have like a level 40 character in Blighttown?

So basically it's a combination of "I know I have a longer Ethernet cable somewhere around here..." and "Well, as soon as there's a Steam sale, I have to pick up Dark Souls and play on PC... but what the hell do I do about my progress?" (I've heard you can do save hacking and sort of 'remake' your character, but I'm not sure how well that would work out.)

You could get an HDMI-compatible monitor if you want to keep your PS3 character and just have that set up near your system for lagless play. :v: If you want the PC version though, there's a thread in SA-Mart where a goon can get you steam sale prices for certain games, Dark Souls being one of them at the decent price of $8.99.

As for progress, you've done it all once so you should be able to get back to Blighttown fairly quickly enough. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Don't worry too much about losing progress, you can easily get to Blighttown in a couple of hours once you know where you're going.

Also, I hope you opened the shortcut from the Depths bonfire to the Blighttown entrance at some point so you don't have to go through the curse frogs every time. :gonk: If you didn't (or didn't already get to the first Blighttown bonfire), look around a bit more in the area with the Blighttown entrance and the Gaping Dragon door.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I can play my ps3 games delay free with the avermedia hd pvr capture card, but it's still better on PC of course. Especially that framerate in blighttown! I'm preordering Dark Souls 2 for PS3 though because the PC release is 2 months later. It also comes out on my birthday ! (the 14th)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

OH NO MAN posted:

Don't worry too much about losing progress, you can easily get to Blighttown in a couple of hours once you know where you're going.

Yeah, but there's trickier stuff - like I got the Gargoyle Halberd, which is a rare drop I guess? Also I did do a second playthrough with a backup character and I had to grind a little because no one dropped a Battle Axe that I wanted until later. So I can get to the location, and grind for levels, it's just some of the items and such that make it trickier.

quote:

If you want the PC version though, there's a thread in SA-Mart where a goon can get you steam sale prices for certain games, Dark Souls being one of them at the decent price of $8.99.

...Now that, I could get on board with!

edit: er, that's not the right link. Lemme see if I can find it. Here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 24, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Once you're comfortable at doing the start of the game, you can kill the gargoyles within 30 minutes even if you're not particularly rushing, and fast players can probably do it in 20. Speed-runners and experts can do it in way less than that too.

So you might be to get your halberd back fairly quickly without hacking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

I personally spend a lot of my time forgetting that the like button exists, so I can see why people do it. I figure it's something that people who aren't hard-wired to the facebooks might have an issue with forgetting.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im pretty sure Andre sells the battle axe. It's not very hard to get! Also starting again gives you time to try out new weapons etc.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Slowbeef posted:

Yeah, but there's trickier stuff - like I got the Gargoyle Halberd, which is a rare drop I guess? Also I did do a second playthrough with a backup character and I had to grind a little because no one dropped a Battle Axe that I wanted until later. So I can get to the location, and grind for levels, it's just some of the items and such that make it trickier.

...Now that, I could get on board with!

edit: er, that's not the right link. Lemme see if I can find it. Here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

Whoops, that's what I get for having two SA tabs open when trying to copy/paste a link to an SA post. :argh:

Aurain posted:

Once you're comfortable at doing the start of the game, you can kill the gargoyles within 30 minutes even if you're not particularly rushing, and fast players can probably do it in 20. Speed-runners and experts can do it in way less than that too.

So you might be to get your halberd back fairly quickly without hacking.

To add on that, if you have a +5 regular Halberd, you can kill the first Gargoyle in 6 or so two-handed light attacks, so the worst that would happen is that you'd have to farm 8000 souls for titanite shards or farm Balder Knights until you got 10 shards and it's piss easy to get 8000 souls from just running up and down the stairs to Hellkite.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'll mention this up and down about the PC version of Dark Souls: Beware.

It is a straight port of the Xbox360 version of the game, which means when you first load it up it looks exactly like the console versions and will run at a maximum of 30fps. This can be remedied by installing a mod called DSfix which allows you to play in 1080p and whatever frame rate you like.

Of course, you may not know any of that if you don't uninstall Games for Windows Live and re-install it because otherwise you won't be able to launch the game. Once you launch the game you may find your character has weird skin coloring going on and that you'll fall through the world the moment the game starts. This is DSFix, one version of the mod messed a lot of things up, including you're ability to stay in the world. I think this is the reason I have no NPCs in Firelink on one of my characters now.

Say you installed everything perfectly and you bumped the game up to a silky smooth 60FPS to go along with your 1080p gameplay. You'll find yourself unable to make some falls/jumps and that your rolling animation doesn't give you as large a damage immunity window as it should. This is because the game ties some of the animations to the FPS and your timing will be forever off if you boost the FPS beyond like 45.

It's all well worth the effort, mind you, and a bit of Googling will solve all these problems before you encounter them, but if you are dumb like me you can get in a bad way fast.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm using the latest version of DSfix and have played for 169 hours without any issues, with the framerate locked to 30 using DSfix (which gives you better performance than just letting the game lock the framerate) and at 2560x1440 internal resolution. Easily better than the console versions, even at 30 fps. Just read the DSfix readme and turn off in-game antialiasing, and you should be fine.

GFWL is definitely a piece of poo poo and might screw you up, though, but MS is shutting it down in a few months anyway and it's assumed the game will be patched to use Steamworks once that happens.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 24, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

OH NO MAN posted:

I'm using the latest version of DSfix and have played for 169 hours without any issues, with the framerate locked to 30 using DSfix (which gives you better performance than just letting the game lock the framerate) and at 2560x1440 internal resolution. Easily better than the console versions, even at 30 fps. Just read the DSfix readme and you should be fine.

GFWL is definitely a piece of poo poo and might screw you up, though, but MS is shutting it down in a few months anyway and it's assumed the game will be patched to use Steamworks once that happens.

Once you get past the stupid poo poo you can do to yourself everything works fine, I agree. I actually downloaded a bugged or bad DSFix version that the first post on nexus warned away from with "STAY AWAY, BROKEN" so that's my fault. Also, the problem with GFWL is actually only on Windows 8, so 7 and below should be fine with whatever they are doing.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Slowbeef posted:

I've found I don't mind it that much if it's at, say, the start or end of a Let's Play as a whole ("Hey, if you liked this LP, feel free to subscribe for more!"), rather than being a regular chant that must be done for every single video ("LIKE AND COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE OR I CANNOT CONTINUE MY YOUTUBE CAREER!").

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

On that note I'm always tempted to do some sort of sarcastic "like and subscribe" line at the end of videos but never go through with it because I never know if people will think I'm shilling for likes or what.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

OH NO MAN posted:

I wouldn't be so sure, because by the time GFWL shuts down Dark Souls 2 will have been out for a couple of months and depending on how popular it is they may decide that it isn't worth it to rework the DS1 netcode, or they might just not update it to give people more incentive to buy DS2.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That's why I said it's assumed. Last we heard from Namco-Bandai is that they're going to remove GFWL and are "exploring options": http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/games-for-windows-live-is-dying-we-check-the-life-support-of-ga/

edit: well, I suppose it would have been more accurate to say that it's hoped they switch to Steamworks.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 24, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Slowbeef posted:

There are tons of DS save editors out there, I'm pretty sure there's one you can enter your location in xy coordinates and spawn exactly where you were on your other save. But god drat would that power be corrupting ("Maybe just a few more souls wouldn't hurt. Or a few levels. Or 99 humanity.")

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Kinda concerning the Dark Souls chat...

[link]

Is that actually you, slowbeef, or someone else? Looks pretty legit, but who knows...

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 25, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Looks like me. That's my library and the few games that played on Mac before I got my PC.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Did you build one or buy a pre-made one?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I might have something for you, then!

/edit: Why won't Steam let me send stuff to people not on my friends list, anyways.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 25, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Oh man, you're gonna get so many Bad Rats.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That wasn't exactly my intention. I was thinking of something more... topical.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

gatz posted:

Did you build one or buy a pre-made one?

Laptop, so pre-made. (I like to edit poo poo on the bus.)

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I've been kind of digging the LPs done by Two Saiyans Play (especially the Krillin stuff), I dunno but Lanipator does a good job making him emotive and staying close (if not true to) the dub of Krillin. I also liked Little Kuriboh's LP of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and kind of wish they would continue with it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I've been kind of digging the LPs done by Two Saiyans Play (especially the Krillin stuff), I dunno but Lanipator does a good job making him emotive and staying close (if not true to) the dub of Krillin. I also liked Little Kuriboh's LP of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and kind of wish they would continue with it.

These do deserve some recognition due solely to the fact that keeping those voices going for that long is a huge pain on the throat and vocal chords. It also helps that they did not simply make these characters out of thin air in the hopes of seeming more "wacky" and "random"; these were voices and characters that they did for other work and simply branched out into other mediums just for kicks (although the TFS guys are definitely trying to make a decent revenue out of their work, and more power to them since they put out some quality stuff over the years).

PersonMan
Apr 3, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQAm6RpHkE0

A good video from an up and coming star.

He is many fun, and good game choice.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I think I found a good candidate for a wrongpurae:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PzRqttLJ88

The animation and graphics are just so... weird. And then there's that sci-fi beep that comes up at the inventory screen, despite the fact that the setting is in the 1920's or some poo poo. Not sure if you could stomach the entire thing (I don't know if it gets interesting).

E: apparently it only goes on for 7 of those videos, so maybe you could.

gatz fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You should take that to the official Retsupurae thread.

• Locked thread