Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Coolguye posted:

Doltos, you are a good person. :allears:

I was nine when that game came out, around 1997, and I quit playing on the real servers around 2000 when AoS came out. That 3 year period was a great time to be an adolescent with an adolescent's sense of humor. Almost all the hardcore changes to UO that made griefing almost impossible came from antics from that span of 1997 to 2000.

Bards had it good back in the early days. The odds for successfully taming, provoking, or peacemaking a monster were higher, Wyrms were almost unstoppable, and everyone needed horses so you could fill your coffers with a quick couple of tames.

So naturally, I hated Bards.

This came from the notion that they had it too easy and were usually haughty players. Almost every kid would rush towards being an archer, dexxer, tank, or mage, but the real early bards were the smart ones. Once they got their stranglehold on maxing their skills, Origin smartly made it harder to gain skill ups in typical bard skills. So, original tamers were seen as smarter and better than the average player. All of them, except for peacemaking.

Peacemaking was a targeted ability that would cause a creature to stop attacking its target and become passive for a little bit. It was put into the game so you could make powerful mobs passive, then tame them. You could level up peacemaking in a day. You also could put peacekeeping on friendly monsters.

Tamers were a bit reckless. They had dragons who did all the damage and tanked for them, and their own instruments to soothe monsters that skipped their dragon. The only real way they could die is if their dragon suddenly stopped attacking, through, say, peacekeeping.

I had a thief that wasn't really using his fencing skill that I leveled up. I was too cowardly and not good enough at PvP to fight real PvPers and tended to run at the first sign of danger. So, I decided to drop this skill and my foolish attempt at leveling up poisoning for provocation and peacemaking. I'd go to these dungeons, hide, and wait for a Bard to show up with his Wyrm.

Ok Wyrm, attack that other Wyrm! Well his Wyrm would suddenly stop attacking, but that other Wyrm was still pissed off. Almost as if it was getting provoked. Wait, who was that who just flashed on my screen playing a harp?

Their Wyrm would get peacekept over and over while the other Wyrm rampaged on. Then, suddenly, the other Wyrm would start attacking the tamer, almost as if it was being provoked! No matter, the tamer can just peacekeep that Wyrm then tame it to replace it's old dead one. That tamer just has to play his harp and...

Wait, what happened to the harp?

I stole it.

So now all of a sudden this tamer is running for his life, but wait, the entrance way to the Wyrm room is blocked by something invisible. Suddenly all those air elementals outside are pouring in, provoked on to the tamer. He tries to jam recall but it's too late. The Bard would drop dead and inevitably have 10k+ gold on him because what did he have to fear? He was a bard, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Life is temporary, and so was this post.

Peta fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 19, 2014

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Peta posted:

Dense-rear end tale of online depravity and nerdiness

:holy:

That is pretty good! Same with the pickpocketing-harp-playing thief.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Back in the days of XBOX and Halo 2, there was a thing that got patched out. This thing is better explained by how it worked:

If you used autoaim, it would correct your manual aim with numbers tied to your particular profile. If you were a particularly good shot with the sniper rifle, but bad with the pistol, your autoaim would reflect this.

With this in mind, one of the easiest-to-obtain weapons was the human SMG. It was a rather inaccurate weapon beyond a certain distance and the first shot, so people tend to use it as a close range weapon.

A particularly spergy poo poo of a person learned that you could play an empty local game, walk up to the non-playing opponent, and shoot him in the head point-blank with the SMGs, getting a perfect 100% headshot accuracy. He repeated this task on at least 300 opponents in this fashion, and then turned on his autoaim. With the numbers he had, he would automatically turn 45 degrees toward an opponent across the map, and be able to headshot them with a +90% accuracy with the SMGs. He pissed off people in online games, or so he says. Then again, he was a poo poo of a person, and lied about half of everything all the time, and about everything most of the time, so he may have been goading someone to do the same boring poo poo he wasted his time with.

On another note, Battlefield 2: Special Forces of the PC had nifty new toys that other Battlefield installments lacked: zip lines and grappling hooks. You could pick up a grappling hook after it's been set, to reuse it. But that would also despawn it, causing whoever was on it to no longer have a ladder to climb, so to say, regardless of height. Same with the zip line, but that one caused you to slide down from point A to point B.

In both cases, you could dick over teammates who were following you by pulling them both after you used them. It's great for stopping sneaky enemies, but it's better as a teamgrief measure :v:

Then again, this was back when it was a good game, and CARTILLERY was a thing, as well. I miss the BF of old... :suicide:

Tale
Jul 31, 2013

I used to think Garry's Mod was useful only for Trouble in Terrorist Town and the occasional trolling of a 13-year-old's sandbox server.
I had seen BobJimJoeJackson's (rather genius) trolling methods for DarkRP but, since I never understood the roleplay servers (and had no intention of learning), I decided that it wasn't a good venue for griefing.
Boy was I wrong.

It is possible to lock any door shut without any evidence of you doing so. Someone shared with me a way to see any keypad's secret code so I can always infiltrate bases. A friend of mine has found a way to delete other players' props (a glitch he refuses to share, with good reason) and I swear I look forward to the weekends when we can get together and head into DarkRP servers. Valve has also implemented a convenient way to get around any server ban in any source game so there's that too.

A clan was building a huge base, for example. I ran for chief of police and won, and subsequently arrested them all for no reason. In the 120 seconds they were in prison, my friend deleted the base using that glitch. When they were released from prison, we blamed their base's deletion on the admins. I got demoted and kicked for randomly arresting. The clan spent about another half hour building a new and improved base, which was deleted when they decided to go on a raid of another clan's base. They got in an argument with the admin on duty and the lot of them were banned for about 2 months. It was very fulfilling to see.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Back in the mid-2000's, I used to play the hell out of various Warcraft 3 custom maps. One of my favorite ones to grief other players on was Burbenog Tower Defense, commonly known as Burb TD. Burb was designed where each player had a square-shaped lane with a monster spawn, on each corner of the map. Every round, monsters would spawn, run around the square then continue down a clockwise path to the second, third and fourth players' squares, then finally to the center of the map where they would count against all players' total lives. Of course, each monster your towers kill would give you money. There were several selectable races, each with their own towers and tech trees, and the idea was that one player simply could not stop all the monsters - you had to work as a team. Two good players could usually win on hard; most games you'd want a full load of four people.

One side effect of this game was that the ideal position to play is immediately after a vacant spawn - this gives you two full loads of monsters running by your towers, and thus double money. It was fairly common for the player hosting the game to choose the red team on the northwest, start the game countdown and kick the southwest player at the last moment, giving them double cash. While a dick move, this was not truly a grief, since the kicked player just jumps in another lobby. The actual grief came from ceding towers.

Since there were multiple races, each with a specialty (long range snipers, slowing, splash damage, etc), there was a feature where a player could build a tower, select it and use the "-cede #" command in the prompt to give a player that tower. This let a splash damage race place slowing towers, for instance, and was essentially mandatory for higher waves. My friend and I would create games where we'd choose the ice and poison races, both specialized in slowing enemies and fairly low on damage. Due to our low damage, we'd never survive with just those two races. Not on the money we'd receive from just our spawns, anyhow.

Once we picked our races, we'd simply announce our picks and begin building towers. Inevitably, we'd have the other two players asking us for certain towers, with them sending us the money for them and saying things like "psn twr sw crnr, cede plz." We would take their money, use it to build towers all around their corner, then simply keep the towers and the money. This had the twofold effect of being a loss of a big investment in money, plus slowly draining their money in the form of kills our towers took from them. The chat logs would fill up with "red cede tower!" "stop stealin" "omfg cede" and the like, and inevitably the player would eventually quit, leaving us with two bases and earning double the money. The best situations, however, were the players who refused to quit. My friend and I would begin offering to finally cede them our towers, but only if they paid us about 300% of their value first. If they didn't pay, they would be economically ruined in a few rounds and quit. If they did pay the money, we would simple build more towers in their base until they quit.

Sure, we could have simply hosted a game with only two player spots. But where is the fun in that?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I don't even remember the MUDs I used to play back when I had an office job in high school, but nevertheless I would log on for an hour a day and dick around highly rated MUDs where players who have been on it for years developed very advanced characters. The thing about these types of games were that you don't get to have a lot of stuff. You don't get your own castle, or pets, or huge backpacks. You got locked into the same basic inventory system and you had to find creative ways if you wanted to "own" more stuff.

I didn't really pick up on it until I was dicking around a rather abandoned area near the pubbie training site. I was probably level 3, and generally the first few levels there is a safe zone where pubbies can't be killed because let's face it, they're so underpowered any slime or bat or rat can easily overpower them.

I was dicking around shops trying to be creative with stealing lowbie stuff that was dropped to increase my loot when I saw some baskets or other inventory-holding objects. Imagine my surprise when opening a few in this room uncovered some level 70 character's hiding space for all their alt armor. Gold this and that, full suit of armor.

Because it was all so heavy I couldn't carry the pieces all or even more than one at a time, but I was logged on at a time of day where apparently traffic was pretty low so I beelined it all to a new place where I could hide it temporarily until I figured out what to do.

Piece by piece I moved a boot or a glove across the map via telnet giggling to myself. I think it was the next day or so, but after a brief period in which I moved most of the stuff I had found in the area (I'm sure there was more), the owner discovered the loss. Furious, they paraded around local and ooc chat shouting for their items to be returned. Since it wasn't illegal by that MUDs rules (or any really) to take items from containers like that, obviously no one cared.

I was still worried about someone else finding them and I certainly couldn't WEAR the armor because I was still level 3 and couldn't pick up any of it at once, so I decided to sell it all. Piece by piece I repeated the great move into town and sold all this very cool armor to the basic armorer next to the pubbie area, amassing a huge fortune. I then used it to armor every lowbie idiot training on wooden trainers sweating it out trying to kill their first rat, and announced my theft as a brazen Robin Hood swindle, arming pubbie town for the greater good of the poor.

The owner went off his rocker but couldn't really do anything given his armor actually vanished.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There's a fun way to grief Online Team Play games in NHL 13 and 14 as a goalie.

Sure, you could just let every goal go in and piss everyone off but that's too obvious. People just say 'stupid loving goalie' and drop out.

The better option is to keep taking penalties, the most obvious is possessing the puck outside of the trapezoid: but that is very rare and difficult to pull off.

The best option is to get a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, every time your team manages to get the puck in the offensive zone. It takes them a very long time to figure out why its happening if you do it correctly.

The way to do this is to try to initiate a goalie fight. Just skate near the center line, and spam the fight button- this pops up the prompt for the other goalie to fight. For shits, the AI goalie will NEVER fight.

When you hear the announcers complain, start skating back to the crease and spam the continue button and your teammates won't see you skating back to the crease or the replay showing why the penalty was called.

It also puts up to two guys in the penalty box for 2 minutes. I've pulled this off where my goalie accrued 30 penalty minutes in one period, and kept two guys in the box for almost the whole period.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get a high level in payday 2, join normal difficulty games and tell newbies absurd things to do in the game that don't actually exist. When they try to do them continually tell them they're doing it wrong.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I played UO when it first came out and to be honest that game was built for scamming and just being an rear end in a top hat all around. I was in a guild called EiG of WTFMAN.com fame and playing the game with those guys was amazing. We did our best to use all the tricks, loot baiting, perma flagged, general dickish insults to ruin other people's fun. After a few years though even that gets a bit stale and this lead me to "The Big Score" that to this day my friends can't believe I pulled off.

On the Atlantic server I had managed to actually have a castle of my very own. It was decorated with the typical rares, piles of gold, and severed heads. Just to the south of my castle was a large smithy house owned by a guy who liked to role play. He was all about order and playing the humble knight and it really got on my nerves since I was always in red (aka murderer status)and wanted to kill him whenever I saw him.

One day the guy was erotic role playing with his in-game wife. How did I know this? Because when you are inside the castle you can see inside the houses around you. I saw him and another character strip down next to his bed. They would stand there still for long periods of time and only interrupted by the spamming of the "bow" command. They did this a lot until they would see my standing in my castle, throwing down corpses and severed heads from my player killing sprees. I would also drink a ton of alcohol so they would see me throwing up. Needless to say they stopped with the erotic rp whenever I was in my castle.

It was at this moment I wanted to make the guy suffer for being a douche.

It all started simple enough. When I saw him I stopped recalling out of my castle to try and collect his head. I would say hello and toss some gold or other items his way. Soon we started talking a lot and I learned more about the guy. His name was Pete and his in-game wife was actually from his second account. I have no idea why he opened up to me so much but he did and all it did was make my resolve stronger.

After a few months I would drop hints that my castle is too large. I would compliment him on his house and how well decorated it was with his rare items. Finally Pete asked me if I wanted to sell my castle to him. I worked out a deal that he would give me his large smithy with everything in it and I would give him my castle with nothing inside. The next days was spent moving all of my goods to my guild buddies house all the while my guild friends were telling me this was not going to work and nobody is that stupid.

I set it up that he would transfer the smithy to an alternate character and then I would log back into my main and transfer the castle to him. All the while I was in ICQ telling my buddies to wait until the portal opened up.

To be honest I couldn't believe it actually happened. Pete signed the large smithy over to me and waited in silence as I walked inside to look about. Every chest was still full of ingots, regs, gold, and all assortments of great loot. Pete still waited as I took an inventory, the entire time thanking him and telling him how awesome he is for doing this deal with me.

I then kicked him out of what was once his home and logged off. I logged back on under my main character and slaughtered him as soon as he ran over to the castle, thinking he was about to be the proud new owner. He found a nearby wandering healer and returned right away.

The rage was so intense, Pete was making up new curse words to call me. Every racial slur, homophobic remark in the book was thrown at me. All the while I continued to thank him form being so awesome and for doing business with me. It soon evolved into death threats and hacking my computer and then came the ultimate threat of "You are now kill on sight for my guild" and Pete ran off.

A little bit of time passes when a moongate opens near my new large smithy and ten or so guys came running out. Pete and his guild wanted a bit of blood and payback and thought they could get it by killing me.

A quick little side note about Ultima Online (I think this was said once in a previous thread). If you were alone in the woods and came across seven men in full armor and on horseback speaking to you in "Ye Olde English" you could probably whip all of them because the game was based on skill and knowing the mechanics to PvP inside and out. If you were in a group of seven guys and you saw a naked man in the woods and he says "Sup?" to you...well that one guy was going to murder the poo poo out of all seven. Role players and PvE typed would always get killed by half naked guys in deer masks or a bone helmet.

So this moongate opens and these guys hop out only to have one of them die instantly to my mana dumping on him. Another dies to a crossbow bolt and then a halberd to the face before I had to fall back to recoup. At this time I sent a message to my guild to take the moongate when it opens. I cast the spell, open it right where my castle and new house meet, and three of my guild members come out. We slaughtered all of them time and time again as they came back to try and reclaim the loot lost while dying. Another moongate, another group runs out just to be killed over and over. This went on for half an hour before they just gave up.

Every now and then after the event Pete and his guild would run by and threaten me. I would go outside kill a few of them and then go back into my house or castle. I started to collect Pete's head so much that I made little designs out of it on his lost house. He would run by at times all alone and just stare at it for a few seconds before I went out and killed him some more.

After a few more weeks I no longer saw Pete or his guild. I like to think he learned a valuable lesson through all this.

Don't trust a naked murderer who owns his own castle.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Mortal Online neither breaks new ground in the fantasy genre nor has anything particularly interesting about it - except that it's a griefer's paradise.

The devs designed it to be like the wild west of Ultima Online. It follows the same PK rules and it's incredibly easy to grief.

A classic grief is rather simplistic but still always works, due to new players constantly coming in. In Mortal online, you start by doing a really cliche, boring tutorial where you kill some pigs, build armor, tame a pet and then you're free to do what you want. All players start with the same pathetic rags and terrible haircuts and are nearly indistinguishable from each other. However, you're able to attack anyone who attacks you or your pets freely, as it's thought to be self defense.

The trick is to go all the way up until the taming mission. You're supposed to tame a rabbit for a guard, but instead you can go to the "pig field" where the brand new players are trying to collect leather to make armor for the tutorial missions, and instead tame one of the pigs to be your pet. After that, you simply wait around in the pig field for a helpless newbie to come along. Usually the pig field is depleted near the initial spawn zone due to people constantly clearing it, so most new players instantly attack any pig closest to them. That means if you wait with your pig pet next to the road and you swing your sword above its head, new players will also try and attack it to steal your "leather". In Mortal Online, people or pets with blue names are friend and attack them will draw aggro and mark you as a criminal. However, there's nothing in the tutorial that explains this, so most new players have no idea the animal they are about to to stab will get them guard and player aggro. They'll end up attacking your pet and you instantly draw out another sword that you stole from a newbie you killed earlier and start attacking the confused and helpless player.

Your pig attacks them, you're swinging swords like a madman and cutting them down in a few hits. You can loot their body, eat their head, skin, and bones until you get sick and throw up on their carcass. It's beautiful. They now get to begin the whole tutorial over again - however, they need to be resurrected first, and the closest priest they can warp to is about a 20 minute run back to the tutorial mission again. It's actually faster to delete your character, make a new one, and start over. Most first timers don't bother to look at the names of the people around them since everyone looks nearly identical. This means that sometimes you can get the same person two, three, four, even five times. They're so confused as to why people keep killing them over and over right when they start attacking the pigs, and sometimes just give up and quit. They don't see the blue pig named "Pig", they don't remember your face or clothes, they don't bother to check your name - it's delightful.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Mortal Online had it's moments. I was never in it long enough for a great story but I did spend what little time I had in the first major newbie city macroing the bejeezus out of my jumping and running skills. This was because at high skill levels and while unencumbered, you could leap right over city walls and up into the decorative towers scattered throughout the town. The gist of it was I would rob people of their lovely craft supplies and tiny amounts of gold and then Hulk-jump over a wall so they couldn't call the NPC guards to gib me.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I like those UO stories, keep those coming.

Back in DAoC for awhile, the best PvP gear was crafted, you just had to hit max level and you had a perfectly viable PvP character if you knew some crafters, that all changed when they came out with Trials of Atlantis and added dozens of different soul crushing grinds, one of which was Artifacts that only dropped sometimes off a specific enemy that wandered around and spawned once every 4-48 hours, one of those was on just such an enemy and was extra sought after and extra grindy to get, since you had to do a long gathering quest each time you tried to get this 5-10% drop artifact, I'll let urban dictionary sum it up.

Cloudsong
n. 1. An object of ultimate desire to those with anger management issues or those therefore defined as taking Prilosec for a consistant heartburn of pure, unadulterated rage.
2. Something obtained in Dark Age of Camelot.
3. Used in an exclamation when something is ninjaed, usually to an absolute extreme.
"You stole my loving CLOUDSONG."

And someone had the foresight to record after someone lost their cloudsong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opl77bP7vbY it's old, but still good.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Tale posted:

Valve has also implemented a convenient way to get around any server ban in any source game so there's that too.

Is this some poo poo with the setinfo command?

SETINFO:
There's a console command, setinfo, which lets you change anything associated with your game client user, such as your name. Early on in the Steam Friends implementation, when Source games were just removing the multiplayer screen name from the options menu and using your Friends name instead, you could do [setinfo name <whatever>] and join a server with a new name, without having to change your Friends name. You could spoof the names of other players and nobody could actually figure out who you really were, which was great. Sadly patched out.

DUMB poo poo:
With some USEast-hosted servers, you could use the [changelevel <map>] command even if you were not an admin, without the rcon password. I don't know why this was but if you used quotes around the command, it would work. So something cool and rad I would do is look for USE Surf servers in Counter-Strike and change the level to Dust. :c00l: People didn't get mad, just confused, and the ones who didn't leave the server were cool. But whatever. griffin

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh god, rare loot is the best way to get griefing stories. I recall one time playing Ragnarok Online when some poor sap got all of his poo poo stolen after a Guild vs Guild event. After paying hundreds of real American Dollars for it.

The Setup:
Back on the private server I used to play, we had bi-weekly events called War of Emperium, which is an official part of the game. The purpose of it was to attack and defend castles from other guilds. A castle was taken if a guild managed to make their way to the innermost room of a castle and destroy the Emperium stone (hence the name of the event). The guild I was in was a high tier guild, and we were known for being the only guild capable of taking on a mid-to-full size guild with as few as 15-20 people. To put things in perspective, a mid-size guild usually consisted of at minimum, 50 people, and a full size guild had a minimum of 70 people (not including ally guilds and people running alt characters). We were able to do this for a few reasons:

-Our guild leader was a 17 year old who would loving freak out over Ventrilo if you hosed up. Getting kicked from the guild after a WoE because you cast the wrong spell or were specced improperly was the norm, and there wasn't a single person who didn't get kicked at least once.
-The majority of our members had years of experience with the game's mechanics, and were top-tier PvP players.
-Because we were able to hold the most desired castles, we were usually able to access the best gear. Add to that the ungodly amount of Bloody Branches (items that spawned Boss level monsters) we received and boss runs we did weekly, we were usually rolling in god-tier gear.

So basically, the majority of our guild would hunker down in our main castle, while we sent out strike teams to the other castles to break the Emperium and rack up Antagonist points. The Antagonist Point System was designed to encourage assaults instead of just huddling down in your castle and hoping that no one attacked. So even if a castle's economy level was low (which affected castle treasure drops), a guild's Antagonist points would make up the difference. So because we would break castles constantly while defending our own high economy castle, we got massive amounts of treasure.

The Grief
One day after a minor patch to the server, I discovered that while updating the list of areas with a NoBoss flag (which disallows the spawning of boss monsters), the dev accidentally removed the NoBoss flag from every single WoE map zone. This basically allowed boss monsters to be spawned in any room of a WoE castle. Naturally, I had to tell my guild leader about it, and we made our plan then and there. During the next WoE, we did our usual poo poo, defending our own castle while taking and retaking other castles. All except until the last 5 minutes. At that time, we sent out our small groups, except instead of just breaking and warping out, we cracked open 10 Bloody Branches in each Emperium room, releasing 10 different boss-level monsters in each room. With 5 minutes to go, there was no way that even an entire alliance, let alone a single guild would be able to take the castles, especially considering that they were specced for PvP and not boss hunting. Of course, this pissed every single guild off because we essentially locked them out of every single castle (and any treasure) for a period of two weeks because WoE was split into a two week rotation, with two regions a week. There were multiple WoE threads calling us every thing imaginable and calling for our entire guild to be banned. And the best part? The dev who was responsible for patching these sorts of things was on vacation and wouldn't be back until a month later, which effectively allowed us to pull the same poo poo in every region not once, but twice. We had effectively locked every guild out of WoE treasure for half a month (drops were daily) and monopolized the treasure. It was amusing for a while afterwards because none of our guild members could walk into the PvP arena without getting KoS'd by everyone else, which then led to half of our guild strolling in and steamrolling the room during deathmatch time, which just pissed everyone else off even more.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 25, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

AHH F\UGH posted:

However, you're able to attack anyone who attacks you or your pets freely, as it's thought to be self defense.

Oh my gosh this brings back memories, of a terrible game called Star Wars Galaxies.

The game was so buggy that for weeks they turned off all punishments for dying. You got to keep your equipment, you got to keep your skills, you didn't even have a resurrection delay or sickness. They were real sorry about your poo poo disappearing so they just turned off the punishments. There was one thing they didn't though. If you received "wounds", you'd keep them. Your int/dex/str would be permanently shaded out and unusable effectively lowering your health to can-be-killed-by-a-stiff-breeze levels if you took enough of them. It cost a lot of money/resources and you had to barter with a player doctor to get that poo poo fixed.

I wanted to be a master bounty hunter and my roadblock was I needed a bazillion xp in using lightning weapons. I had never even seen one and nobody could make them so I couldn't do anything but use the previous skill to set people on fire to give them wounds. I would set them on fire, and then kneecapped them so they would fall down and be unable to run or submerge in a lake or apply first aid to put out the fire. I kept them on their back, slowly burning up their stats with expensive wounds, and they'd beg me for death but no. No you shot my friend you are gonna burn. It was the cruelest thing even possible to do in that game.

When I wasn't doing that I took a weird skill tree in ranger. Most people did the prerequisite, scout, to get the camping ability, then moved on to a different tree in bounty hunting. Ranger's skill tree was terrible. Awful skills like "the group can walk up hills without getting tired as fast". Better, larger camps, camps so bugged out anyone who sat in chair number three would be teleported to coordinates 0,0 where all the monsters that fall through the world go. You could sit down, invite people to join you, then the instant their rear end touches the seat they warp out. Quickly I'd stand and pick up the camp so they couldn't get back. Then they'd get eaten by the largest, most geometry breaking dinosaur monsters and send angry tells to you for hacking.

Finally the last skill in ranger that nobody ever got and knew anything about was rescue. You use rescue on someone being attacked, and it FORCES their attacker to instead take a swing at you. It's to draw mobs off of your healers if you're raiding or something. That was it's intention. There were a dozen easier to reach skills that stunned or distracted monsters better and cheaper than this so nobody ever learned about THIS skill.

I appointed myself forest ranger and went to the newbie training grounds and declared the fat little rats you're supposed to grind to level 2 on endangered species. I would say "emperor palpatine has declared poaching the rolly rats to be a capital offence, move along citizen." and they would say "gently caress off" or just ignore you. I gave everyone three warnings. I said in no uncertain terms were they to shoot even one more rat.

When they ignored me the third time I would "rescue" the rat. The new player would suddenly do an impossible thing. They would attack a peaceful and unattackable very high level player character, flagging themselves as PvP.

"He's resisting arrest! You all saw it!" my macro would then say as I exploded him neatly with my ridiculous explosive ordinance.

I didn't burn the poachers, that would be cruel to new players who don't know anyone or how healing stats works. I only burnt the rebel scum.

The best newbie was the guy who, after running back from respawn, asked if he could be my deputy and followed me around telling people to stop poaching the emperor's rats.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 25, 2014

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And someone had the foresight to record after someone lost their cloudsong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opl77bP7vbY it's old, but still good.

:stare:

That's uh.

It's probably for the best that Mclovin stole his Cloudsong, hopefully that gave him some perspective on life.

But I bet it didn't.

Tale
Jul 31, 2013

Back in 2011 I was one of those people who joined the Minecraft griefing fad. Luckily I hit it early and managed to find myself in a relatively popular (~10000 subscribers on the group's Youtube channel) group of Minecraft griefers. We had someone coding a client for hacking and we had found a list of every existing premium Minecraft account (thanks, Notch!) that we were constantly running against awful passwords like qwerty or abc123. We amassed about 4000 paid accounts.

That's beside the point. Faction servers were the funnest poo poo to "grief". We weren't really even griefing, we just would be the most powerful faction by far. After a while we demanded that every other faction pay taxes to us in the form of obsidian or diamond or face being conquered. I remember at one point we had each faction send in one representative, and all of the representatives (about 10 players) had to duke it out hunger games style. I remember building the whole arena for it. We said that the winning faction would be free of our reign, but of course that was a lie.
We eventually were all banned for hacking and I remember following that up by donating a penny to the server to get the owner's personal information and harassing him, which is now something I'm not proud of.

Smarmy Coworker posted:

Is this some poo poo with the setinfo command?
No, it's something through Steam as a service. Look through Steam's betas, you might find something interesting about how a single computer can hold multiple accounts.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Not sure if this is technically griefing or not but I'm a pretty big wheel over at funkysnooker.com and my secret is to play with 5-second shots rather than the default limit of 20 seconds. 20 seconds is long enough to yawn stretch and mess about with spin and pace, 5 seconds is more hit and hope. A heartening number of people overlook the time limit and ragequit after the computer makes their break for them (usually leaving a few reds open). Often they depart with a wail of 'TO FAST'. They learn to steer clear of my games after that - unless I change the name of the game from Keith's Game to something else! Pretty sure I've reduced a few to gibbering, bitter shells of people...and my quick game is second-to-none.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
In Tomb Raider: Guardian of Light, co-op gives one character a grappling hook.

You can use it to belay players as they go down the sides of cliffs.

You can stop whenever you feel like it.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Over the years, we've had a number of goon Worms Armageddon groups. Usually we play with locked games, but sometimes one of us forgets to lock the game we host, and a pubbie or two joins.

That's when we bust out our pubbie scheme.

By editing a scheme file with TeamEd, we can set the values of weapon damage to impossible values. What we do with this is make the most commonly used weapons deal a pittance of damage or none at all, while crazy poo poo like the longbow and mole bomb deal huge amounts. You haven't seen confusion like the confusion a pubbie experiences when a dynamite disappears without a trace, a fire punch leaves the target completely unhurt and unmoved, and an air strike flies over like a recon plane, firing absolutely no missiles.

And then when sudden death hits (which it does after a very short time), the rising water drowns half the map in one turn. It's very easy for the pubbie to lose all his worms in one turn, or the next when the water rises to almost all the map. Everything drowns in 3 turns.

The pubbie then usually quits, leaving us able to play on our own. We could just lock the game, or kick them, but what's the fun in that?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Smarmy Coworker posted:

DUMB poo poo:
With some USEast-hosted servers, you could use the [changelevel <map>] command even if you were not an admin, without the rcon password. I don't know why this was but if you used quotes around the command, it would work. So something cool and rad I would do is look for USE Surf servers in Counter-Strike and change the level to Dust. :c00l: People didn't get mad, just confused, and the ones who didn't leave the server were cool. But whatever. griffin

This was a bug with a really really lovely third-party addon named EventScript. If you sent a console command like "changelevel map" (with the quotes, which generally aren't required), you bypass _all_ authentication. This works for anything, and you could ban anyone or run any admin or rcon command simply by doublequoting it.

It's not specific to a geolocation, just a horrendously bad mod that 'fun servers' [read: not dust or serious at all] tended to install because of the terrible scripts pubbies write.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

death .cab for qt posted:

To expand on that 50 cal thing:

You could attach a red dot scope to it and kill people at short range in one body shot. No questions asked. Just instant death.

It DESTROYED medics, who got the fancy belt-fed machine guns that were supposed to be the end-all-be-all of DPS, but one snapshot on a red dot scope killed them

This is from a little while back, but that went for all bolt-actions. The M95 (50. cal), M24, GOL Magnum, and SV 98 had identical damage and damage drop-off, and could one-shot inside 10 meters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Scherloch posted:

This is from a little while back, but that went for all bolt-actions. The M95 (50. cal), M24, GOL Magnum, and SV 98 had identical damage and damage drop-off, and could one-shot inside 10 meters.

My personal favorite was the inverse, which was any pump-action shotgun with slugs and magnum ammo. If you did the "aim down sight", it didn't actually put the gun in your view, it just tightened the reticle to give you pixel-perfect accuracy.

The amount of rage you generate headshotting people with a shotgun from 150-200 yards away was beautiful. Combine with carrying some C4 so you could go jihad jeeping and you could get an entire server enraged at you in no time.

Another fun thing to do with shotguns was to play Rush. Now, I don't think there's anyone still playing this would work on, but when the game was pretty new it was great. It helped to have a buddy playing for the other team, too. Technically, you could do this with any class, but it worked best as a Recon, since the motion mine turned you into some kind of wallhack ninja.

What you had to do was hide out in a destroyable building with the enemy team's MCOM in it. Basically, step 1 was "Kill a lot of dudes", and step 2 was "be an rear end in a top hat about it". Your goal is to get them so pissed that they start trying to kill you with explosives, which is why it helps to have a plant on the other team to egg that on. Just use your motion tracker to make sure that you're never in the enemy's sightline and stay alive.

Now, eventually, the engineers with their King Carls, the grenades, the dipshits in tanks, they'll take their toll on the building. You hear that groaning noise as the building collapses on top of you, and more importantly, on top of the objective. Whoever dropped the building gets a nice little "MCOM DESTROYED" penalty, the whole enemy team flips the gently caress out in chat, and it's just beautiful.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
When Diablo 3 first came out, Inferno, the highest difficulty was a huge difficulty jump from Hell. Most range character would literally be one-shotted by any melee monster at that difficulty. After getting to about chapter 3 I just got bored of the game so decided to have a little more fun before I quit. I would open a game in the last part of chapter one where players were mostly just barely surviving by kiting since they have no chance to go toe to toe with any of the monsters with their crappy gear.

I was playing as a Barbarian. Barbarian has a skill that hooks an enemy towards you that can be further augmented to throw the enemy behind you instead. So I would run between my teammate and a monster and throw the monster right into my teammate's face, which usually result in instant death. The penalty for dying is pretty small though, so I don't remember getting many ragers.

Alternatively I would just spec myself into throw barb and type "I am a demonhunter" and kite around with the rest of the team, sprinting everywhere and throw monsters into my teammate's face when the opportunity presents itself.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Old and low-effort grief, but always good for a chuckle.
There are 9 different classes in Team Fortress 2. One of these is the engineer who, among other things, can build (one way) teleporters to help teammates get across the sometimes very large maps.
One some maps are geometry glitches where people get stuck in the world geometry and can't move.
http://i.imgur.com/MKylLln.jpg
Tough to tell from the picture, but 4 people are stuck in that little area, unable to move out, along with the corpse of a sniper who suicided his way out.
People get IRATE even though it's simple enough to just suicide yourself out, costing yourself a whole ~12 second respawn time.

The other version of this is to build the teleport exit in the opposite direction of where they wish to go, and at the very edge of a cliff. Since in any FPS, standing still is a good way to die, I'd say 1/3 to 1/2 of people taking a teleport will immediately run forward when they've been teleported without even looking around. These people fall off the edge of the world and die.
Those that don't are still stuck with a very long slog across a completely empty landscape to get to where they were hoping the teleporter would take them.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Old and low-effort grief, but always good for a chuckle.
There are 9 different classes in Team Fortress 2. One of these is the engineer who, among other things, can build (one way) teleporters to help teammates get across the sometimes very large maps.
One some maps are geometry glitches where people get stuck in the world geometry and can't move.
http://i.imgur.com/MKylLln.jpg
Tough to tell from the picture, but 4 people are stuck in that little area, unable to move out, along with the corpse of a sniper who suicided his way out.
People get IRATE even though it's simple enough to just suicide yourself out, costing yourself a whole ~12 second respawn time.

The other version of this is to build the teleport exit in the opposite direction of where they wish to go, and at the very edge of a cliff. Since in any FPS, standing still is a good way to die, I'd say 1/3 to 1/2 of people taking a teleport will immediately run forward when they've been teleported without even looking around. These people fall off the edge of the world and die.
Those that don't are still stuck with a very long slog across a completely empty landscape to get to where they were hoping the teleporter would take them.

A similar, but less malicious grief is that some friends and I would use geometry to make a teleporter entrance that teleports you into the exit, which is positioned millimetres from the entrance so you get stuck in the teleporter entrance and do it again. We would set up 3 chains of them, and hop into each others teleporters with an absolute barricade.

Whenever we teleported, someone else got a fraction of a point, and given enough time we all got free points for our constantly being used teleporters. Eventually the entire server devolved into complete hatred of us because we ended up with hundreds more meaningless points than any of the pubstars by doing absolutely nothing of use. They started sending in heavy fire at us, which was of no consequence because of how strongly barricaded it was. Our team would rage at us and call us noob engies, at which point we would politely inform them that us 3 as a collective have more points than the rest of the server combined, which had them frothing at the mouth.

Unfortunately we never got to set up a defensive position quite that impenetrable because after the first round we did that, they had people on duty just making sure we never got to do it again. They really hated us getting our meaningless points by defending a rainbow stairwell completely removed from the actual objective of the map :(

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Wanted to take a sec to say thanks to eveybody for including an example in each post, I feel it's made the thread infinitely more enjoyable to read since it forces you to reminisce about past griefs and it's fun to see the different stories.

It may not be griefing in the most modern sense, but I remember my dad buying Nascar 95 or something for our PC and the only thing we ever did in it was immediately flip around and drive backwards, destroying every car until we were left since we turned on infinite lives or something. Consequently, the first thing I did when I played Forza 3 online at a friend's was drive backwards on the track and slam into people. I think it's the most fun anybody has had playing a racing game online, way more fun than the schlubs that pretend to drive real fake cars.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
In that line of though, one of the most fun I had racing gimmick races in Forza 4 was playing on Indianapolis super speedway. One of the fun gameplay modes we would play was setting the laps at a high number and having half of the server pick fast cars like Ferraris or LeMans cars. The other half would then choose Hummer H2s. One half would try and finish the race while the other half would drive the opposite direction and try and ramp off of the racers creating some spectacular wrecks. It was a lot of fun, though not really griefy despite at least one person a night throwing a fit and leaving because we were playing too many "gimmick races."

As for griefing in that game, I really enjoyed going into Nascar servers. The nice thing about Forza is that it has a very extensive livery designer. Well, I took quite a bit of time and painted up 2 really high quality skins that seemed to piss off the Nascar players. The first was painted up in Rainbow Dash colors with the My Little Pony logo on it, though I crossed out "pony" and replaced it with "glue factory" then had some vats of acid with screaming ponies sticking out of it. I actually made this car as a joke towards my one friend but I soon discovered that the people playing these Nascar game modes would get very upset with me over my car, either because it was My Little Pony themed and thus not in the spirit of Nascar, or because they were in fact bronies and were upset that their favorite pony was melting in acid. The second car that I had was a copy of Earnhart's car with fenders replaced and bondoed damage repairs. On the back was my favorite question to ask Nascar servers at the start of the race, "Does anyone remember when Dale Earnhart suddenly stopped racing?" The hate really flowed with that skin, especially when I spent the entire race intentionally blocking people and putting them into the wall.

The other fun Forza grief is going into drift servers and loving them up for everyone. For those of you who don't know, drifting is where you put your car into a power slide and get points for linking various drifts into one big drift. Drifters in Forza are some of the spergiest players in the game. They spend quite a bit of time trying to get their drift tunes just right and view themselves as the best drivers in Forza since drifting "takes more skill than racing." They also like to make the claim that drifting is the fastest way to take a corner and thus the fastest way around a course. There were two fun mechanics to a drift race that made griefing the drift lobbies extra fun. The first was that if you are in a drift, you will lose all of your points if you spin out, go into the grass, or make contact with another vehicle. As I mentioned above, the goal of drift races is to chain together drifts into a combo, each turn you take as part of one continuous drift gives you a multiplier. So on some courses the more skilled drifters can drift the entire course in one continuous drift. The second mechanic was a holdover from regular race mode. In order to stop people from griefing a race by standing still and never finishing, as soon as the first place player crosses the finish line, a 30 second timer starts and players have until the end of that timer to finish or else they would get a DNF. With drift races it was considered to be against E-Honor to finish the race before everyone was done, so most drifters would stop short of the line and wait. So I would go into a server with fellow goon Cannot Find Server, and we would gently caress with the drift sessions. A lot of drift servers were open to all classes of cars so we would both grab high end cars and wait for the race to start. As soon as it started CFS would take off like a rocket, taking each turn the proper line racing way, while I would follow the drifters and wait for them to make a nice long combo before gently tapping them, messing up their score. Drifting is such a slow way to go around the course that CFS would normally get at least one lap over the pubbies by the time he finished the race with 0 drift points and started the 30 second timer. Suddenly faced with a 30 second time limit to finish a course that normally has a lap time of over a minute, the pubbies would start flipping out about some rear end in a top hat finishing early. Then when the race ended with no other finishers and they saw that first place had been awarded to a player with 0 points while they were sitting on over 100,000 they would flip out even more. We would keep doing this until we killed the lobby then switch to a new lobby, all while giving people instructions on the proper way to take a corner.

This brings me to the final mechanic to griefing Forza 4. You could only kick someone from a lobby by initiating a vote kick after a race was over and you were waiting for the next race to start. After a race you would be brought to the lobby screen and have to wait for everyone else to load that screen before you could make any selections, then you would have to go down to the username of the person you wanted to kick and then scroll down the menu that popped up to initiate vote kick. The game only supports one vote at a time though and map switching is included in that limit, so all you had to do to not be kicked out was to wait for the lobby to load up, then press down 3 times and press A. Up popped up the vote to change the map, and away went the ability to kick someone until that vote was finished. Since most people wouldn't vote to change the map in time, we would be sent into the next match with no issue. If they would change the map successfully we would just start a new map vote.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Drifting races are so easy to grief i've stopped trying. I don't understand how people think its hard to do when all you have to do is kick your car into a sideways turn and occasionally kick it the other way. With some of the older racing games i'd literally just stop short of a checkpoint and ram people. Those spergs are so up themselves on skill that all it takes is something to knock them off slightly and you get a half hour rant about how unskilled you are.

That said, most racing games are easy to grief. Just put people into walls or park sideways on bridges. Prepare for incoming hate mail.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
My favorite thing to watch is when you get someone so pissed off at you in a racing game that they actively start trying to wreck you. They normally telegraph their intentions so well in advance that all I have to do is brake slightly as they begin their ram and turn into them, and they will overshoot me and get spun by a PIT maneuver.

Another fun way to fun way to mess with pubbies in a simulation style racing game with full damage on is to get in front of a pack of cars and take a very horrible line, hitting the turn at a very high rate of speed and taking the outside of the turn all the way through. (The proper way to take most corners is to start at the outside, decelerate, cut inwards to the apex, then accelerate out of the corner to the outside of the curve again.) When less experienced drivers are following someone they tend to get tunnel vision and instead of following their own line, they start following the line of the car in front of them. If you mess up your line on purpose and drive to the limit of your tires, they will do the same, but still try and take the turn properly, normally resulting in a multi-car pileup in the corner as a bunch of the cars overshoot the curve and slide into the wall.

Also telling people that "rubbin' is racin'" while gently bumping them, or just silently bump drafting people for the entire race(getting the most out of their slipstream by putting your front bumper on their rear bumper) causes a lot of rage in simulation racing games since it is considered dishonorable to have any contact.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

jadebullet posted:

The first was painted up in Rainbow Dash colors with the My Little Pony logo on it, though I crossed out "pony" and replaced it with "glue factory" then had some vats of acid with screaming ponies sticking out of it. I actually made this car as a joke towards my one friend but I soon discovered that the people playing these Nascar game modes would get very upset with me over my car, either because it was My Little Pony themed and thus not in the spirit of Nascar, or because they were in fact bronies and were upset that their favorite pony was melting in acid.
This is truly wonderful. Do you have a picture of that skin? :ranbowdash:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thank you for reminding me that yes, yes I do.

Bonus Goonbus

Goonbusses were the best thing ever. Sadly the original goon car club, lljk, that had the skin shut down and AUGR was started in its place. These were the best vehicles to gently caress around with people in. As you can see, the regular cars didn't stand a chance when we would have a pubbie hopper lobby fill up with Goonbusses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KTp9M8teM

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

jadebullet posted:

Bonus Goonbus

Goonbusses were the best thing ever. Sadly the original goon car club, lljk, that had the skin shut down and AUGR was started in its place. These were the best vehicles to gently caress around with people in. As you can see, the regular cars didn't stand a chance when we would have a pubbie hopper lobby fill up with Goonbusses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KTp9M8teM

How the gently caress did that HummerGoonbus get so high in the air?

Mantrain
Sep 11, 2001

I started watching this guys videos recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJCUsxHDVxI he riles people up with a variety of voices and persona's that are very similar to Adult swim style humor.

I think it's probably harder to grief people nowadays because everyone is aware of it and how they might be recorded when blowing off the handle.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Well while reading through this thread while at work, I was reminded of a great time some buddies and I had at a PDXLan one year.

I have a buddy who we will call Dick.

Dick liked to smoke a lot of pot. Dick also was a lot bit crazy when stoned and loved to cause issues for anyone and everyone. Remember everyone, driving while high is still a DUI.

One of the vendors at the lan decided to do a midnight Bf2 64 player knife fight, giving the winner a nice brand new CPU of some sort. Well who wouldn't want to get in on the carnage of a glorious mad max style arena battle? 32v32 with team damage on, can anyone else think of where this is going?

So I can't quite remember the map they picked, but they decided that a very large swimming pool would be the perfect place to stage this fight. The vendor then spent the next 2 hours wrangling everyone to stop tking each other and get on the edge of the pool so they could record it and have everyone jump in at once and begin the tournament. My buddy Dick had a better idea.

Dick decided he wanted to show everyone his tank driving skills. He parked a tank out of view of everyone behind a hill and just sat looking at my screen to gauge when an opportune moment would present itself. After the vendor had spent a considerable time herding cats into the pool (and they decided at this point to just have everyone jump in the pool and wait for the countdown), Dick decided it was time for a blitzkrieg of his own.

Needless to say, Dick drove a tank into the swimming pool killing 90%+ of the server in two seconds flat causing a hornets nest of chaos that ensued for the next 5 minutes. The death spam and his high off his rocker cackling will forever remain in my memory. He then sat there rocking his tank back and forth running over any fool who tempted fate to jump in the pool as a free for all ensued.

The vendor ended up getting on the microphone and yelling an angry "gently caress you" to Dicks in game name and shut the server down. We never got to finish that knife tournament, but my friend Dick clearly is the champion and deserved that damned CPU.

On a sidenote, Friend Dick also was ex-special forces and could sleep through the world exploding. We ended up having to forfeit out of the 8v8 bf2 tournament because he got so drunk/stoned the night before we couldn't wake him up in the hotel. Bastard.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
This one time I was playing No Mercy Versus with a random group in Left 4 Dead. When we got to the warehouse exit, we found it blocked with a generator the other team (Infected) moved by meleeing it into place. Unfortunately, we couldn't find a way to move it with our widdle human hands and wiped hard at that area.

One of the guys in my group promised revenge.

We rotated and let the Survivors get to the upper parts of the hospital where it looked like it was under construction. We let them take the elevator and quickly meleed the generator on the next floor so that it blocked the elevator. Once they were trapped, we spent the next half hour as Boomers and Smokers vomiting and pulling at them as hordes of regular Infected swarmed the elevetor.

The only downside to it all is that it's super easy to drop out of a multiplayer game.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
In Dark Souls, a common complaint is of 'twink invaders.' People that finish the game at a really low soul-level and then go into the starting areas and invade other low-level players and crush them with endgame weapons and spells. This might sound terrible, but it's actually a very minor issue because only unhollowed players can be invaded.

I have one such twink invader, and I've been using him to do the exact opposite of griefing: invading low-level players, being scary, and intentionally losing to give them some much needed confidence in PVP. But there's a twist, players usually have summoned phantoms (that's why you'd unhollow and be open to invasions) and these low-level phantoms are always twinked themselves. They like being the Big Man, impressing newbies with how easily they can clear a level and two-shot early bosses using their endgame weapons.

I'm having none of that, so when I invade I will use any twink gear or spells to kill summoned phantoms (read: I kill them with 1-2 great combustions, welcome to low-level PVP nerds.) With the phantom dead, I'll then put up a convincing fight against the host and lose. So basically, I'm griefing people trying to co-op and help newbies. As for the newbies, they lose their summon but gain something more valuable: early PVP experience, plus a free humanity for killing me. The other day one guy looked me up in recent players thinking I was the phantom he had summoned.

I killed the summoned player before the host came around the corner, then I poked the host until he ran out of heals and let myself die to him. He'll have to go back to the bonfire to replenish his estus, which respawns all enemies in the level. :)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There's a pretty funny glitch in Battlefield 4 right now. The MAVLAM.
Here's some background.
Each player in BF4 can choose two gadgets on their loadout. The Recon class gets access to sniper rifles, and most of the Recon gadgets are geared towards providing information to teammates, scouting, or sabotage. 98% of the time, people play recons as snipers and sit on the far corners on the map taking pot shots at people. They rarely kill anyone, because you have to get a headshot to do a one hit kill at range. Let me explain two gadgets.
Recons get a gadget called a MAV, which is a mobile aerial vehicle. It's a little deployable quadcopter used to fly around the map remotely and spot enemies. It also has a little electric charge that can destroy enemy explosives, mines, ammo boxes, medkits, and spawn beacons at a distance.
The Recons also get a gadget called a SOFLAM. It looks like a little camera on a tripod and can be deployed almost anywhere. This is a laser designator, which is controlled remotely and can lock onto vehicles, aircraft, and boats in line-of-sight and allows friendly engineers to fire rockets at them quickly and accurately. The SOFLAM is not very useful, because enemies can see the direction the lock is coming from and will shoot the SOFLAM and destroy it, or just move behind cover and break the lock.

There's a bug right now in the game where if you deploy the SOFLAM and launch a MAV, your MAV acts as a flying SOFLAM. So you can get laser designation on targets from far up in the sky, and it's almost impossible for boats or land vehicles to break the line of sight from a flying vehicle. This usually means that the MAV locks a tank or AA gun, and within seconds missiles from across the map rain down on the target.
When there are no more targets to mark because your team has shut down everything with an engine, what now? Blow up enemy explosives! Most players don't know that MAVs can remotely trigger any explosive, so it's particularly hilarious to blow up mines or C4 right as an enemy is tossing them. Their kill-cam shows that a little flying toy helicopter killed them and they have no idea how. Then they accuse you of hacking, or ask how to unlock rockets for the MAV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Doltos posted:

Everyone is always interested in free loot. They will always pick it up and click on it no matter what sketchy poo poo is around them. My story combines this and that DayZ spray a banana with bleach story.

In UO there used to be a skill for poisoning. It was a bitch to level up. Basically the ingredients were constantly bought out in towns and you had to make close to a hundred thousand potions to get fully leveled up to 100. Even if you could get access to the materials to make a poison potion, it still cost you about 4 million gold to fully level it up. Once you were 100 in it, you could start coating your blades with deadly poison. This was tough to cure and could kill someone in a matter of moments if you put it on them. It made dexxing (right click) poisoners nigh unstoppable.

Except I wasn't a dexxer.

I was a carpenter.

My character I did this on was a mule. I'd make a whole bunch of boxes and drop them in front of dungeon entrances. I'd make a whole bunch of boxes and drop them throughout the dungeon. Towns were lined in my boxes. Guild halls and player houses and random shrines and healers had boxes upon boxes dropped here and there. Everyone loves boxes.

Each box was coated with poison and rigged with traps. Every item inside the box was coated with poison. This was before they patched in the clause that whoever poisons someone also gets the murder kill for them. I was unstoppable, invinceable. No one could kill me because I was never red, and everyone would fall for my trapped boxes because everyone likes free stuff. I had dudes bite it right in front of me, I'd loot their corpse of everything but leave the box with more trapped items inside of it. The people would come back to their looted corpses, see the box, open it up, see an apple, eat it, and die to poison again.

All of this came to a head when there was a giant dragon boss in Desolace. Must have been 80 to 150 people there, could never tell with that game. I wasn't doing any damage, and like most people, I was waiting around for the dragon corpse to hit the floor to start mass looting. Only when the dragon corpse hit the floor, suddenly 50 boxes appeared over all the gold and vanquisher blades and iron armor. People snapped them up and gleefully ripped them open.

The death toll rivaled anything I've ever done in a video game since then. People in full valorite armor were dropping next to me like flies. Blues climbed over one another to loot the suddenly dead power users. People turned red, and then reds tried to run, which caused more bedlam. Everyone died that day. Everyone but the poison mule.

Hahaha, that's brilliant! I miss UO sometimes, it was a horrible mess half of the time but when it worked it was fantastic.

I used to do something vaguely similar with explosive potions and hiding. I'd put a chest down in a high traffic area out of town, wait for people to look inside the chest then fling explosive potions at them, before they nerfed explosive potions they were massively overpowered, you wouldn't need more than two to bring down a high-level character. The best part was that, at the time, killing someone with an explosive potion didn't turn you grey (if you killed another player in UO, you'd turn grey for a while, if you killed more than five however you'd turn red and be unable to go into any town without getting killed by the guards) so I got a mage friend to wait nearby and resurrect the player, then I'd kill them again when they went to loot their own corpse. The rage was fantastic and, since you could dismember corpses, the chest ended up being full of piles and piles of random body parts, sadly our murder spree didn't last more than an hour as a GM showed up and told us to knock it off.

• Locked thread