Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Like his Wikipedia page can tell us, Sarasvuo is known for being a lecturer and motivational coach. Maybe there's someone more internationally famous I could've substituted him with in this strip, but clearly they're not famous enough because I couldn't remember anyone.

Fok_it

A minor crime-related pun or two were flattened in the translation, but that's all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts hits another war film story beat with both feet. (January 27, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean could've started with a little cardio, but oh noooo...

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo, in which Howland is the worst dad ever. (January 27, 1956)

Out Our Way (April 23-24, 1924)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Bradbury Road

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

SubNat posted:

Moomin's Winter Follies

I consider Moominpappa to be my personal role model. Drink whisky, sleep in a hammock, read some Agatha Christie, and invent some new traditions.

"So what?" Never change, Moominpappa.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Brooke's definitely got some tongue action going on
:barf:

Bloom County

This raises enough questions for a Conspiracy Frog strip.

Calvin And Hobbes

Bottomliners breaks the mold of single-panel comics by being a team effort, done by brothers Eric & Bill Teitelbaum.

Bound and Gagged is a gag-a-day strip by Dana Summers, who also does some politicomics.

Bonus: the strip from the 22nd.

For a third single-panel strip, there's Break Of Day, by Nate Fakes.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ham Shears December 18, 2013

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm running behind and I don't have time to think of a good title, so four out of six is enough to call these Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Poncho doesn't actually know anything about tracking, and I think he might be mistaking mailmen for elephants in that last comic, but Hudson doesn't know enough to argue about it.

Ballard Street

poo poo, I should have called these Shade Comix or something.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

RandomFerret posted:

I'm running behind and I don't have time to think of a good title, so four out of six is enough to call these Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Poncho doesn't actually know anything about tracking, and I think he might be mistaking mailmen for elephants in that last comic, but Hudson doesn't know enough to argue about it.

Ballard Street

poo poo, I should have called these Shade Comix or something.

DAWRGS AND SHARDS

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Fappo! :spidey:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (April 24, 1924)

So was there an actual time when people would send their eight year old kid to buy and carry a whole bunch of groceries by themselves?

Darthemed posted:

I don't mind lame puns, but this art is pathetic. "Ugh, faces are so hard, I'll just draw some vaguely facelike squiggles and call it a day."

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Bottomliners breaks the mold of single-panel comics by being a team effort, done by brothers Eric & Bill Teitelbaum.

Bound and Gagged is a gag-a-day strip by Dana Summers, who also does some politicomics.

Bonus: the strip from the 22nd.

These are all really bad.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Third Murderer posted:

So was there an actual time when people would send their eight year old kid to buy and carry a whole bunch of groceries by themselves?

There was a time when grocery stores weren't self-service with open shelves (some guy patented the concept in 1916), so in this case the mom probably either phoned ahead or sent the kid with a list and the money, then the person at the counter loaded him up and he was on his own from there.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I consider Moominpappa to be my personal role model. Drink whisky, sleep in a hammock, read some Agatha Christie, and invent some new traditions.

drat right he's a role model!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

EndOfTheWorld posted:

One of my life goals is to own a tree just for relaxing in, and maybe drink some strawberry juice.

Moomin's Winter Follies

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

This has me seriously considering tracking down some Mandrake collections. I love this comic.
Mandrake's stance and the utterly nonchalant delivery has me hearing his lines in the generic kung fu film over-dub voice. Frogman has the hammy villain voice, of course.

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

These are all really bad.
I completely agree. One-panel comics just don't have a good track record; there's a handful of great ones, and the rest feel like 1:30 p.m. sitcom offerings.

Thanks for posting the Moomins, SubNat!

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 24, 2014

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I never want this Mandrake story to end. It is amazing.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

If you aren't good at skiing right away you should just give up. Same thing with the trumpet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Sphinxster posted:

If you aren't good at skiing right away you should just give up. Same thing with the trumpet.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

The Sphinxster posted:

And everything else. Just stay inside and do nothing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

This is going to rock in the next comics.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

I saw singing sword, and, yep, right on cue, this started playing in my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u8wBfDtZkE

:v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

The only thing even mildly worthy of comment is the brim on Mark's hat in panel 3.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

The horror! :ohdear:
I love how they seem to be avoiding bring up the attack on the old ladies house by are just bringing up why humans are the bad guys instead.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

You always find a way. :allears:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

scarycave posted:

The horror! :ohdear:
I love how they seem to be avoiding bring up the attack on the old ladies house by are just bringing up why humans are the bad guys instead.

I sort of want to go back and read the story now. It sounds sublimely stupid.

In other news-- who doesn't hate Illinois Nazis?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Julet Esqu posted:

Oh, go gently caress yourself Luann.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Deer ghost looking for revenge?

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

I'm having a hard time figuring out the perspective in the second panel. Come on Newspaper Spidey, I'd expect this from Mary Worth, but you're usually better than this!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

That doesn't really look like a blizzard. That looks like "some snow".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Volume posted:

Ham Shears December 18, 2013

Hey uhm, actually when we last left off before the previous poster disappeared, Ham was at the airport asking if he needed his passport/ticket. :v:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thorn (January 4-6, 1984)

Nina's Adventures (1999)

Lucky Cow (March 25-27, 2004)

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

R Ubbish fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 25, 2014

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Mister Beeg posted:

Nina's Adventures (1999)

HEY, NINA!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, you.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Beeg posted:

Nina's Adventures (1999)

Somebody explain this to me. We shouldn't educate people because everybody has different ways of thinking? We should educate people so that everybody is exposed to different ideas? I honestly don't get it. I'd think it's advocating for that unschooling bullshit, but I'm pretty sure that didn't exist back then.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Oh fer pete's sake.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Holy poo poo, Morrie.

...Could the person who compiled and sent the birthday wishes to Morrie please report in and let us know what they sent and how it went? Never got closure on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Wanamingo posted:

Somebody explain this to me. We shouldn't educate people because everybody has different ways of thinking? We should educate people so that everybody is exposed to different ideas? I honestly don't get it. I'd think it's advocating for that unschooling bullshit, but I'm pretty sure that didn't exist back then.

"Everyone with an ideology thinks theirs is the right one, and will look down on others as ignorant and unenlightened, and will often take initiatives to force their beliefs and standards onto other people. This is a harmful and misguided way of thinking regardless of who you are or what your ideologies happen to be."

• Locked thread