Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He uses his newfound stretchy powers to enlarge the size of his brain.

That's how intelligence works, right? Whatever, write it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

That's how intelligence works, right? Whatever, write it down.

He has done this before. In Earth X he does it so he could use Cerebro.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Planetary kiiiiiiiiiiiind of went down this route, but not in such a literal way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

He has done this before. In Earth X he does it so he could use Cerebro.

He also does it in Fantastic Four: 1234 I think.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He also does it in Fantastic Four: 1234 I think.

it's not making his brain bigger, he distorts his brain into different weird shapes so that it can form into new neural structures or something. So instead of making his head big he has weird coral things in his head. Slightly different I guess

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He also stretches his dendrites and axons to somehow stimulate neural cell action in the Fantastic Four Manga, which is actually the least ridiculous power use in that comic.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The FF discussion makes me realize two things:
I associate Johnny with white privilege.

Folks care a lot about the race and appearance of the Invisible Woman.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mr. Maltose posted:

He also stretches his dendrites and axons to somehow stimulate neural cell action in the Fantastic Four Manga, which is actually the least ridiculous power use in that comic.

This is actually fairly reasonable to do, assuming he could manage that accurate of control over his power. It would legitimately make him smarter. Or, more accurately, legitimately able to think and recall information much faster.

As for how a human mind would actually control that kind of thing consciously, I don't even know. It'd have to be an unconscious side effect of his power, I guess. Is that how it was in the manga or was it stupider?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

StumblyWumbly posted:

Folks care a lot about the race and appearance of the Invisible Woman.

Yes, she and every other comic book character.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Welcome to the world of fictional characters. If you have grown up worshipping and following a certain character who has been presented to you in a certain way for 50 odd year you might feel a bit of backlash to change.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It does become tiring hearing people scream "They didn't make Captain America black because RACISM!!!!!!".

No, its racist not to make a Black Panther movie because "movies with black leads don't make money".

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

This is actually fairly reasonable to do, assuming he could manage that accurate of control over his power. It would legitimately make him smarter. Or, more accurately, legitimately able to think and recall information much faster.

As for how a human mind would actually control that kind of thing consciously, I don't even know. It'd have to be an unconscious side effect of his power, I guess. Is that how it was in the manga or was it stupider?

He does it consciously but it was apparently difficult or stressful because he didn't do it until the hundred story tall Annihilus was about to destroy the city.

This was the story where the other three Fantastic Four were teenagers who created giant robot forms to defeat Kaiju sized FF baddies, mind you.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

twistedmentat posted:

It does become tiring hearing people scream "They didn't make Captain America black because RACISM!!!!!!".

No, its racist not to make a Black Panther movie because "movies with black leads don't make money".

The problem with Black Panther is the name is essentially poison(Fox News would have a goddamn field day), It's a crazy fine line they would have to walk.

They have actually said they are looking to make a Black Panther movie. I don't think Marvel thinks that any movie they make won't make money. Otherwise Guardians wouldn't exist.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

twistedmentat posted:

The reason they don't make white male and black female romantic leads is part of the same ignore the successes only listen to the focus groups corporate mentality that can only think of movies as machines. The focus numbers for a white male lead and black female lead are atrocious because it loses both the conservative and :airquote:urban:airquote: people who were available in the middle of the day and get paid in sandwiches demographics.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I would love to see a black Sue Storm. Especially with how badass she's gotten over the years.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Cast Richard Sherman as Johnny Storm. Book it!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=93410
I don't understand how the movie he is proposing would be rated R, I mean the way he describes it, it sounds like it would be a PG 13 movie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=93410
I don't understand how the movie he is proposing would be rated R, I mean the way he describes it, it sounds like it would be a PG 13 movie.

The only way I can see it being R is if he thinks "R-rated action" means Watchmen-style explosions of blood and teeth/bone fragments every time Danny would land a blow. Which is kind of :stare:, but it's literally the only thing I can think of that would connect that text description to something requiring an R.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

You guys should see The Raid if you haven't. Also, its spiritual cousin, Dredd. What he's basically saying is that when an iron-fisted Bruce Lee punches a guy full force in the face, it's going to cave in his nose and split his jaw. If he intercepts a punch by grabbing the wrist and wrenching the arm down over his shoulder, the elbow is going to snap backwards and his bones are going to stick out. It's pretty gross, the necessity of its inclusion in the light-superhero-action fare of Marvel films is arguable at best, but I definitely get how that would be R. Real fights are super gross and awful and not the bloodless one-hit knockouts that we saw in, say, Captain America.

edit: Imagine this dude is Danny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aINP7IwYfzg

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 25, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The director of the Fantastic Four movie said that synopsis going around is fake and he has no idea where it came from. Which makes sense considering all of the other rumors about the movie have pointed to the origin being lifted from Ultimate Fantastic Four.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SlimGoodbody posted:

You guys should see The Raid if you haven't. Also, its spiritual cousin, Dredd. What he's basically saying is that when an iron-fisted Bruce Lee punches a guy full force in the face, it's going to cave in his nose and split his jaw. If he intercepts a punch by grabbing the wrist and wrenching the arm down over his shoulder, the elbow is going to snap backwards and his bones are going to stick out. It's pretty gross, the necessity of its inclusion in the light-superhero-action fare of Marvel films is arguable at best, but I definitely get how that would be R. Real fights are super gross and awful and not the bloodless one-hit knockouts that we saw in, say, Captain America.

edit: Imagine this dude is Danny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aINP7IwYfzg
Didn't Captain America do have that part where a Hydra soldier gets sucked in a jet turbine and explode.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

achillesforever6 posted:

Didn't Captain America do have that part where a Hydra soldier gets sucked in a jet turbine and explode.

Pulped in a propeller, but yeah, same principle.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Everyone go watch the Raid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Real fights are super gross and awful and not the bloodless one-hit knockouts that we saw in, say, Captain America.

I really don't need gritty realistic battle damage in a movie about a magical kung fu guy wearing a silly outfit.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't need gritty realistic battle damage in a movie about a magical kung fu guy wearing a silly outfit.

Rated R for Fat Cobra's manliness.

Superstring posted:

Everyone go watch the Raid.

Only like 4 bucks on Amazon! :toot:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, that's where my :stare: response came from, like "this guy's thinking about chop socky heroes from the 70s and that's (apparently) what he's getting from it?" I'm not saying I wouldn't mind a good onscreen depiction of magical super-karate where every connecting strike causes Mortal Kombat fatalities, just not from this guy. What I do want from this guy is for someone to describe his special power out loud, verbatim from the books.

quote:

He summons his chi — the essence of his spirit and strength, channeling its raw power down into his arm, into his hand until that hand becomes like unto a thing of iron!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

404GoonNotFound posted:

Rated R for Fat Cobra's manliness.

Only like 4 bucks on Amazon! :toot:

Streaming on Netflix. The Raid is awesome.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wouldn't mind if they get Iko Uwais to play Iron Fist.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Madkal posted:

Streaming on Netflix. The Raid is awesome.

I just checked and it's saying it isn't. Are you outside the States or something?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

404GoonNotFound posted:

I just checked and it's saying it isn't. Are you outside the States or something?

Right. I am in Canada. And it was streaming on Netflix up here last year.

Weird. I am so used to everything being on the American Netflix and not up here that I never thought it could be the other way around.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
FYI, if you're using Chrome, there is a neat extension called Hola Better Internet. It adds a dropdown to your browser that lets you select which country you appear to be in to sites like netflix. So if you're in the US, you could click on the Canada option in the dropdown, it will reload the site your're on as if you were in that country (using a proxy VPN I believe). Bam, Canadian netflix. I've been pretty happy with it, but your results/performance may vary based on what country you are in vs which country you select. PS, The Raid is awesome. Once the action kicks in, it's some of the best I've seen in years. Doesn't sound like the guy who worked on it knew anything about those Iron Fist rumors though, based on that earlier link.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 25, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

The MSJ posted:

I wouldn't mind if they get Iko Uwais to play Iron Fist.

I'd be down. Dude's a good lead.

Deadpool posted:

The director of the Fantastic Four movie said that synopsis going around is fake and he has no idea where it came from. Which makes sense considering all of the other rumors about the movie have pointed to the origin being lifted from Ultimate Fantastic Four.

What were the big differences in the Ultimate Fantastic Four's origin? It was mostly to do with Reed and Sue's parentage, wasn't it? Reed had normal parents and Sue was the daughter of some super-scientist think-tank members, or something? And Doom was different. I don't remember much of Ultimate Fantastic Four at all.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
They didn't have a space launch for one. I remember the experiment that gave them their powers in the Ultimate U was in the desert with some sort of experimental portal I believe.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

What were the big differences in the Ultimate Fantastic Four's origin? It was mostly to do with Reed and Sue's parentage, wasn't it? Reed had normal parents and Sue was the daughter of some super-scientist think-tank members, or something? And Doom was different. I don't remember much of Ultimate Fantastic Four at all.

They're all part of a super-think-tank headquartered in Baxter Building. They get powers from trying to open up the Negative Zone. They're also twentysomethings for some reason, probably to appeal to younger audiences. Victor von Damme was also there.

I always found the whole thing unsatisfying. The FF have one of the most simplest origin stories in superhero comics, so I never got why it needed anything more. Distancing it from its pulp SF roots was another mistake, since it made them feel both generic and rootless. The FF don't particularly need complex motivations or deep backstories, even if that's possible: they're a family that goes on crazy adventures. The synopsis might be fake, but the fact that they're making a big-budget superhero movie and that it's going to be set in the X-Men universe tells me that they're trying to mimic the X-Men and the Avengers instead of doing their own thing. FF strikes me as something that should be aimed at family audiences, but I don't think any studio aside from Pixar or Dreamworks would actually do stuff like that.

The last part strikes me as tragic, since any faithful FF movie would probably come off as a ripoff of The Incredibles, which managed to have a better Doctor Doom than a movie that actually had Doctor Doom.

e: VVVVV It's more that since it losts it's science-adventure angle, and the family angle that was developed later, it didn't have much going for it. And the "gotta beat the Russkies" angle is pretty much the easiest part of the backstory to update. FF #489 didn't need that to make what is probably the single most conclusive statement on what the FF is and always has been.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 25, 2014

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Their pulpy "We gotta beat the ruskies!" origin really dates the FF, though, which was the antithesis of the Ultimate universe at its inception. I haven't read Ultimate FF so I can't speak to its quality in other areas, but criticizing it for doing things differently seems pretty disingenuous, since doing things differently and updating them for new readers without alienating old readers by messing with the main titles was the point of the Ultimate line.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Keep in mind that the man 20th Century Fox has hired as their "Marvel tsar" is Mark Millar, so I wouldn't be too surprised if there's a certain amount of Ultimate FF influence in the reboot.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The previous movie already made them all the same age and took Dr Doom in the same spaceship, so the Ultimate FF solutions were already there. Nothing wrong with them, a middle-aged Reed would be a supremely boring lead, and you can't expect Mole Man or Annihulus to carry the first two hour long "episode" as a villain, people love Doom more than FF themselves.

And the exploration/adventure angle is sadly dated as a whole, the modern scientific discoveries are inpenetratable to general public, the space program is effectively over and the world around is already explored and exploited.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fatherboxx posted:

And the exploration/adventure angle is sadly dated as a whole, the modern scientific discoveries are inpenetratable to general public, the space program is effectively over and the world around is already explored and exploited.

This is exactly why they need to keep the exploration/adventure angle. Not just in the FF, but just in general. A lot of kids see these movies, and if everything they see is the same kind of cynical "everything's been done, everything sucks". Then where is the inspiration to change that going to come from?

It's probably dumb, but how many engineers or researchers got that first nudge from reading a comic or seeing something cool in a movie?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Error 404 posted:

It's probably dumb, but how many engineers or researchers got that first nudge from reading a comic or seeing something cool in a movie?

Iv always wondered if there was a surge in people entering paleontology in the early 2000s from people who saw Jurassic Park as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

fatherboxx posted:

Nothing wrong with them, a middle-aged Reed would be a supremely boring lead...

...Which is why they've had him be middle-aged since the beginning and in the movies? :confused:

But if they're retooling the premise, I think they've got two choices: either they try to make Reed a cool old scientist-dude with an arrogant streak (AKA Reed Richards), or they try to make him into Peter Parker wannabe a nerd (AKA Ultimate Reed Richards).

• Locked thread