Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lambj3
Dec 29, 2012
As someone already stated, the location of the blood on Saionji indicates that her throat was slit. If that's true, I don't think she happened to come across the scene and the killer forced to murder her. Slitting her throat would be too risky because Saionji would run away and the killer would have to catch her. Slitting her throat seems like an awful lot of work.

I think either A) Saionji was in on it and was double-crossed, B) someone was somehow able to get into her room and kill her in her sleep, or C) she somehow ended up at the club (maybe the killer did something to get her there) and she was snuck up on. Either way, if her throat was slit I can really only see it happening if she was caught off-guard in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Ooo, what if it was Ibuki who killed Saionji?

She was 100% obedient because of the despair fever, so someone could've told her to kill Saionji, and she'd probably obey.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Um, excuse me, but we were never explicitly shown any wigs so story telling convention dictates that wigs don't exist on the island.
:goonsay:

At this point, we still need to go clue hunting, so any theory's pretty suspect. Maybe someone ordered Ibuki to shave off her hair, then glued it to the inside of the bag?

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Guys, I've solved it!

The one on the left is Saionji in a wig and the one on the right is Ibuki wearing a rubber Saionji mask.

At the end of the chapter we'll discover that the bag is the murderer but it's actually Souda disguised as a bag.

Flawless logic.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

VladTheEater posted:

Guys, I've solved it!

The one on the left is Saionji in a wig and the one on the right is Ibuki wearing a rubber Saionji mask.

At the end of the chapter we'll discover that the bag is the murderer but it's actually Souda disguised as a bag.

Flawless logic.

You've been reading spoilers, haven't you!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VladTheEater posted:

Guys, I've solved it!

Flawless logic.

How does this fit in with the VR Theory?

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Who What Now posted:

How does this fit in with the VR Theory?

Oh, I forgot to mention that part.

Everything is real except for Gundam who is secretly Alter Ego in a wig AND rubber mask.

His hamsters are clearly the USB ports.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kangra posted:

You mean like he didn't count Sakura's suicide in DR 1?

At this point, we haven't even gotten to exactly who is under the bag, so rampant speculation is starting to feel silly.

I mean to say: There is a high likelihood that Monobear would declare the culprit of Ibuki's suicide to be Ibuki. A potential murderer would probably want to make sure that they get the credit, and can subsequently leave the island.

I bet it's actually Nidai under there! :tinfoil:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The killer is, somehow, Walter White.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Do we know where Sonia is? We haven't seen her all chapter. I was shocked she wasn't the one murdered.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Suspicious Dish posted:

Do we know where Sonia is? We haven't seen her all chapter. I was shocked she wasn't the one murdered.

I think she was part of the Motel Group. So presumably, she's still hanging out there.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The killer is, somehow, Walter White.

A multiple murder this impeccably timed? Walter couldn't pull that off himself. The killer is Jack Welker.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
If Saionji's throat was slit, there should be signs of arterial blood spray. Maybe it's the camera angle, but it doesn't look like there is, which suggests she was killed somewhere else.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's possible Saionji was also hanged, and that blood was coughed up from a damaged esophagus.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Montegoraon posted:

If Saionji's throat was slit, there should be signs of arterial blood spray. Maybe it's the camera angle, but it doesn't look like there is, which suggests she was killed somewhere else.

That, or it was done post-mortem in order to disguise the real cause of death. Of course, it's too soon to say without the Monobear report to tell us more.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Wyvernil posted:

That, or it was done post-mortem in order to disguise the real cause of death. Of course, it's too soon to say without the Monobear report to tell us more.

Wouldn't the monobear report eliminate the effectiveness of disguising the cause of death?

I don't see the point of even trying, if a minute after the body's discovered, Monobear's just "yeah, no, her throat wasn't cut, it was death by strangulation."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Montegoraon posted:

I agree with that. Supporting that, there's not enough on her clothes, and clearly she was dressed after her death.

Penakoto posted:

Wouldn't the monobear report eliminate the effectiveness of disguising the cause of death?

I don't see the point of even trying, if a minute after the body's discovered, Monobear's just "yeah, no, her throat wasn't cut, it was death by strangulation."

No, because if the killer does something like that, Monobear doesn't rat them out. Instead Monobear would say "The victims's throat was cut. There are also signs of bruising."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Penakoto posted:

Nope. The Monobear reports have been fairly slim this game. We've been depending on the nurse to give us accurate info.

It has been giving us the time of death which might make it suspicious if we don't get a time-of-death this time because in the previous game Monobear would hide info if it made the case too easy to solve.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. The Monobear reports have been fairly slim this game. We've been depending on the nurse to give us accurate info.

We've been depending on the Nurse to elaborate, but the files have yet to be misleading a all.

"The cause of death was stabbing with a sharp object. The victim was stabbed multiple times in the region between the abdomen and the throat." accurate, even though it doesn't tell us the size or shape of the stabbing.

"The cause of death was a single blow to the head from a blunt instrument." Pretty much 100% accurate.

How do you spin "her throat was cut and she bled out" to make it sound like it could be a different kind of muder?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Penakoto posted:

How do you spin "her throat was cut and she bled out" to make it sound like it could be a different kind of muder?

"She died from injury to the neck" could be a good one, but to be honest if there is any spin I expect it to be for Ibuki considering the whole hanging thing. If there's no cause of death mentioned though that'd be suspicious for either one.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Ibuki would make more sense to hide the cause of death, yeah.

It'd be hard to hide the fact that someone got their throat slit, no matter how you dress up the victim, but a strangulation or neck snap, then just string them up with a noose and nobodies the wiser.

I'm not a serial killer, by the way.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
If forensic crime dramas have taught me anything, that trick can be detected by looking for a broken hyoid bone.
If you hang yourself, it doesn't break, if you're throttled, it does.

...but wikipedia tells me that this doesn't apply to children and adolescents due to the more flexible bones that they have. drat.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Penakoto posted:

Like this:

"The victims's throat was cut. There are also signs of bruising on the throat." Nothing about which one killed the victim.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It seems to me that if it would make for a harder case to solve, Monobear might be pretty scant with information on the actual cause of death. So if Saionji died by hanging and the throat was cut to disguise that, Monobear might well not specify a cause of death just to make things more interesting.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Chiaki's "and two of us are girls!" comment amuses me in light of Peko and Akane or the previous game's Sakura/Aoi. I mean, c'mon.

alcharagia posted:

Now all that's left is for Tsumiki to die and this chapter will have pulled a hat trick of killing off my least favorite characters. I like this chapter.

Ibuki was perfectly nice!

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013
There have been quite a few theories raised here that are probably jumping the gun a bit. Until the cam-feed's been examined and demonstrated to have recording capacity, I'm going to hold off on saying that the scene was faked. If it does, we can go back to the masked time-of-death theories. If it doesn't, the timing of everyone's actions that morning becomes a bit more important, particularly how long it takes to reach the different places on the islands.

Also, with regards to the uniqueness of the bag on Ibuki's head, I'm going to say that until we have evidence saying otherwise, that bag's the only bag of that type on the island, it was the bag in the scene Hinata saw and it's been up there since then. Sure, the mark wasn't visible in the suicide scene, but a player who sees the shots for all of two seconds probably isn't likely to notice and we probably shouldn't either.

I personally think Saionji's death had to be planned; I don't buy that she came out of her room to get involved in a revenge scheme on Kuzuryu; that would go against the character development she's had over the past few updates. If she was lured out of her room before she was murdered, it wasn't to commit a murder and I don't think she left to check up on anyone else either.

And while I do think the culprit probably used Ibuki somehow, I don't think she could have been ordered to commit suicide/murder. Her trying to convince Hinata not to eat her by saying that she tastes terrible back when she first caught the virus shows that she still has some level of common sense left. She could have been tricked into committing suicide which could be why the scene Hinata saw was interrupted; the trick might have been exposed if the feed continued on.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I have a question about the game: do they have to prove the how or just the who?

Like, if they get to the trial room, Hinata's just like, "gently caress it, Sonia did it," and everyone agrees and Sonia confesses, does Monobear take that?

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013

Slime posted:

It seems to me that if it would make for a harder case to solve, Monobear might be pretty scant with information on the actual cause of death. So if Saionji died by hanging and the throat was cut to disguise that, Monobear might well not specify a cause of death just to make things more interesting.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Like this:

"The victims's throat was cut. There are also signs of bruising on the throat." Nothing about which one killed the victim.

I think this has already been answered. If you look at Mukuro's Monobear File from DR1, it does just that. And that was a deliberate attempt at misdirection. Granted, these may not be the same Monobears, but if not, they still behave similar.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Bean posted:

I have a question about the game: do they have to prove the how or just the who?

Like, if they get to the trial room, Hinata's just like, "gently caress it, Sonia did it," and everyone agrees and Sonia confesses, does Monobear take that?

Depends on if Monobear feels like being an rear end in a top hat or not. So probably not, no.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Monobear doesn't care, they don't have to prove anything except to each other. All they have to do is vote on the culprit and if they pick wrong it's game over, so proving who the culprit is just follows naturally.

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013
Eh, Monobear's not really concerned about how the trials play out, so much as the emotional reaction the students have to the murderer's actions and who he can justify executing. Also, given how much he likes to give the impression of following his own rules and how every trial ends with a vote, he'd probably go, 'Well, that was a boring trial; hurry up and vote, so that we can do something interesting instead!'

But really, where would be the fun in the game for us players if that ever happened?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

LukanFox posted:

There have been quite a few theories raised here that are probably jumping the gun a bit. Until the cam-feed's been examined and demonstrated to have recording capacity, I'm going to hold off on saying that the scene was faked. If it does, we can go back to the masked time-of-death theories. If it doesn't, the timing of everyone's actions that morning becomes a bit more important, particularly how long it takes to reach the different places on the islands.

Ohhhhhhh.... because of this post, I just went back and checked something.

orenronen posted:

The whole thing’s built from stuff I found in those creepy old electronics shops.
These started out as home security stuff... cameras, monitors, and all that... I just tinkered with ‘em a bit and...
Well, the gist of it is, we got ourselves video chat! Well, sort of.

I missed the key words there: home security. Home security cameras HAVE to have a recording capability, because people don't have a security officer watching 24/7. Recording is a vital part of the system.

Souda added the transmission part for the communicator to the hospital, but if he didn't remove the recording system, then it wouldn't have been that hard for the killer to take advantage. That means that Souda isn't the only possible suspect.

quote:

I personally think Saionji's death had to be planned;

Definitely, if the fake-column theory is right. That's enough work that she had to have died first.

quote:

And while I do think the culprit probably used Ibuki somehow, I don't think she could have been ordered to commit suicide/murder. Her trying to convince Hinata not to eat her by saying that she tastes terrible back when she first caught the virus shows that she still has some level of common sense left. She could have been tricked into committing suicide which could be why the scene Hinata saw was interrupted; the trick might have been exposed if the feed continued on.

I agree, otherwise, why cut the footage of her mounting the ladder off, when you could just show her legit killing herself?

pidgeon
May 18, 2011

:tinsley:
What if they check the security footage and go "okay there's the culprit" and the trial ends then and there?

xSangiune8
Jul 7, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Ohhhhhhh.... because of this post, I just went back and checked something.

I missed the key words there: home security. Home security cameras HAVE to have a recording capability, because people don't have a security officer watching 24/7. Recording is a vital part of the system.

Souda added the transmission part for the communicator to the hospital, but if he didn't remove the recording system, then it wouldn't have been that hard for the killer to take advantage. That means that Souda isn't the only possible suspect.

Definitely, if the fake-column theory is right. That's enough work that she had to have died first.

I agree, otherwise, why cut the footage of her mounting the ladder off, when you could just show her legit killing herself?

But if Saionji died first, why show the video off at all? wouldn't getting rid of the camera altogether be a better idea? Why bother luring someone over to the dance hall in the first place? and why hide Saionji at first, but reveal her later??

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

pidgeon posted:

What if they check the security footage and go "okay there's the culprit" and the trial ends then and there?

The killer knows how to use this system, so they probably know how to delete things as well.

xSangiune8 posted:

But if Saionji died first, why show the video off at all? wouldn't getting rid of the camera altogether be a better idea? Why bother luring someone over to the dance hall in the first place? and why hide Saionji at first, but reveal her later??

Because confusion is the killer's best ally. The first impression a lot of us had was that Saionji must have walked in on the killer. Ibuki's murder was nice and elaborate, Saionji was just hastily tied to a pillar.

But if the fake pillar theory is right, Saionji was the real target and her murder was also very elaborate. Ibuki was the decoy.

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013
Hmmm, a home security system probably ought to have recording functionality, but now I'm worrying about the, 'Well, sort of.' comment and if it has any significance. If it was pre-recorded though, then this exchange becomes fishy as hell:

orenronen posted:

Monobear hasn't made his announcement yet, so I think Mioda-san is still asleep...

Oh, I’m sorry for speaking out of turn! And, well... I can’t actually be sure that she is, but...

B...But... We shouldn't wake up the patients... So let's go check Komaeda-san's condition first.

xSangiune8 posted:

I don't think getting rid of both sets of cameras was a good option for the killer. After all, on the motel side, the camera is in the same room as the vics (or vic if Ibuki wasn't dead by this point yet), so no point in hiding the camera there. And hiding the camera in hospital would have just led to whoever discovered it was missing going to the motel to inform the other group.

I would say Saionji needed to be kept hidden during Ibuki's 'suicide' to keep her from figuring out that she's about to be killed, but there's a nearby storage room that could also be used instead. So my guess is that it's to frame whoever found Ibuki, which just 'happens' to be Hinata.
Which is my best guess for why Ibuki was killed and the 'suicide' taped. I can't really see what else the killer gets out of killing Ibuki and setting it up as a suicide otherwise, let alone taping it without actually showing the crucial act since it doesn't provide an 'alibi' for Saionji's murder.

We'll just have to see how the other's react though.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

LukanFox posted:

I can't really see what else the killer gets out of killing Ibuki and setting it up as a suicide otherwise
What if Ibuki sort of just strolled on in to the middle of Saionji's murder?

The previous night set up her weird penchant for just strolling out of the room, with Hinata catching her and taking her back to her room. It makes the pretend suicide coverup still weird as all hell, but it at least helps explain why Ibuki would be murdered anyways.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

LukanFox posted:

Which is my best guess for why Ibuki was killed and the 'suicide' taped. I can't really see what else the killer gets out of killing Ibuki and setting it up as a suicide otherwise, let alone taping it without actually showing the crucial act since it doesn't provide an 'alibi' for Saionji's murder.

:psyduck:

They get... everyone else to think and vote that it was a suicide. Which means that they have an undetected murder and get to leave the island. Which is the entire point of the game.

I mean, I know you're probably asking why Ibuki was killed at all if someone was planning to just kill Saionji, but that seems like evidence in the opposite direction to me. There's no apparent reason to kill two pretty much unrelated people, since the only real way that could draw attention away from the murderer is if they were set up to look like they'd killed each other. Both deaths were considered necessary by their killers, though, and both were elaborately concealed, so it's unlikely that both people were killed by the same person as part of their initial plan. Either two killers were involved (with one of them probably being Saionji or Ibuki), or the second murder was suddenly required to hide the first.

Ah, crap. Actually, now that I think about it, the other way this could help a single killer is if it were set up to look like a murder/suicide by Ibuki. I wonder if we're going to see a claim that Ibuki's despair syndrome drove her to do all of this? That'd need some pretty fancy explaining for Saionji suddenly appearing after Ibuki's death, though, so the killer would probably need to provide leads towards the disappearing pillar trick.

In any case, I'm also not sure why people seem to be assuming that there has to be recording capability for the suicide to be faked. Why couldn't the culprit just wait until someone answered their call to start the fake suicide? It's not like the hospital and music club are right next to each other, and it wouldn't take that long to hang a corpse up and tidy equipment away. There's some pretty strong indications that someone was still hidden at the club when Hinata got there, too, since they locked the door and (presumably) removed the fake pillar after he left. I don't see any necessity for pre-recording so far.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Ibuki's version of Despair Fever made her very pliable to orders. I'm guessing she was up and wandering around, clicked the video chat, and some jerkbag said "Kill someone, then kill yourself." And then she goes all 'SIR YES SIR' and that's the end of that.

I have zero idea who the jerkbag could be but I would be very surprised if some sort of arc in this entire incident weren't rolling like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
What with Komaeda's statement that there are two of them, and how didn't he notice before, are there any details to disprove that the person under the bag is actually another super high school level nurse twin?

• Locked thread