Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

If it is up tomorrow I will buy it and the next time I have a day off from flying I'd get drunk and make notes as I read it. It may be in February. Also reading online about it I have two words about it..... "power boners".

Not to steal bunnyofdoom's thunder, but here's a quick glimpse of what he/she will be wading though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yes, but it isn't just "held to be held," it's the first Imperial system right outside the Eye of Terror. It's the bulwark that stops the full force of the Chaos Black Crusades from getting into the Imperium - kind of like a wave slamming against a seawall.

That's pretty much what I meant with the post. The reason I had the "Eagle somewhere on the planet" thing was to mean that it would be fought for until even the most token resistance was obliterated, and that it would never, ever be outright nuked.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

I didn't know a hot knife would grind it's way through butter, but I guess I've never tested it myself...

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

TheStampede posted:

I didn't know a hot knife would grind it's way through butter, but I guess I've never tested it myself...

Hot knives are literally just superheated chainsaws.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Squig butter fights back obviously. Poor quality control.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Shroud posted:

Not to steal bunnyofdoom's thunder, but here's a quick glimpse of what he/she will be wading though:

Oh jesus, I am starting to regret this. Well, at least I have a bottle of bourbon, and a litre of beer for supersized boilermaker during this. (Also, I'm a dude).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
While you're at it, make a thread and post your thoughts about the book as you read it, with appropriate excerpts. And cocktails to help us forget them.

It worked out alright for "Twisted"... :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

my dad posted:

While you're at it, make a thread and post your thoughts about the book as you read it, with appropriate excerpts. And cocktails to help us forget them.

It worked out alright for "Twisted"... :v:

What I am likely going to do is take drunken notes as I read, edit it while sober and put my own sober observances in italics. As to it being it's own thread, it'd probably be something close to being Let's read published fan fiction if I got mod approval.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Shroud posted:

My only comment is: Holy Throne on Earth the prose. So dull.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
"Stay Frosty" and the hot knife through butter cliche sound really out of place in 40k fiction.

I bet a creative enough writer could come up with an equivalent as good as these actual ones from the Star Wars Expanded Universe material, like:

"Like a neutrino through plasma"
"as a laser can cut through Sullustan jam"
"easier than Rebels go through a Death Star"

I'm at a loss for what it could be, though. "Like a chainsword through grox meat"?

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

William Bear posted:

"Stay Frosty" and the hot knife through butter cliche sound really out of place in 40k fiction.

I bet a creative enough writer could come up with an equivalent as good as these actual ones from the Star Wars Expanded Universe material, like:

"Like a neutrino through plasma"
"as a laser can cut through Sullustan jam"
"easier than Rebels go through a Death Star"

I'm at a loss for what it could be, though. "Like a chainsword through grox meat"?

A Melta bomb through Guard Flak armor
A Baneblade through a box of squigs
A boarding torpedo through a merchant hauler

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Penetrate their line like a bolt through sheet metal

grinding our way through the Ork like teeth through meat

We take them like a wave taking a beach. Before us are the ork. We collide. Behind us are the wrecks of armor, green rags of splattered flesh, and a field of scattered bones.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
We penetrate their defences like a serrated pear shaped device parting the glorious perfection of a primarch's buttocks

/Graham McNeil

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 24, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I did it, guys. I started writing WH40k fiction.

I am the problem.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Was it this bad?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't think it's possible to be as bad as Who Dares Wins.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I just reread that excerpt from Who Dares Wins and noticed that they have a Dreadnought named Wade. Wade the Dreadnought. Honestly, if there are so many treasures in only two paragraphs of story I can't help but think that it is money well spent.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Wade? Is he a Californian surfer dreadnought who bashes heretic head in with his board?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Wade? Is he a Californian surfer dreadnought who bashes heretic head in with his board?

http://evenindeathistillsurf.ytmnd.com/

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I just reread that excerpt from Who Dares Wins and noticed that they have a Dreadnought named Wade. Wade the Dreadnought. Honestly, if there are so many treasures in only two paragraphs of story I can't help but think that it is money well spent.

My favorite was the Devastator called Khor who carries a Thunderhammer on top of his Heavy Bolter.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Which is particularly funny to me, because he could have just given the guy's heavy bolter a chain-bayonet and it would have been totally legit for 40k.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

The Dark Angel dreadnought named Wade who could.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So Thursday is my next day off from flying so I will do my first read and drink Wednesday and my sober reevaluation the next day and post it Friday probably

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

So Thursday is my next day off from flying so I will do my first read and drink Wednesday and my sober reevaluation the next day and post it Friday probably

god help you sir

good luck

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Popular opinion says that the Kyme Salamanders books are crap, but a friend keeps trying to get me to read them, claiming they are amazing. The only Salamanders stuff I read was in a Xenos compilation and it was very bland, especially compared to a concurrent Night Lords story in the same book and same space hulk that was grimly fun. I chalked some of it down to not knowing the backstory, though.

Can anyone give me a bit on info on what the Salamanders book series is about? I knew there's some nonsense about some uber-psyker mary sue that melts enemy fleets in a second, but is that the main bad thing about it?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't think Nick Kyme is a particularly good writer. I just didn't enjoy the prose.

edit: I think I've literally read WH40k fanfiction that read better than Vulkan Lives.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 25, 2014

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Sephyr posted:

Popular opinion says that the Kyme Salamanders books are crap, but a friend keeps trying to get me to read them, claiming they are amazing. The only Salamanders stuff I read was in a Xenos compilation and it was very bland, especially compared to a concurrent Night Lords story in the same book and same space hulk that was grimly fun. I chalked some of it down to not knowing the backstory, though.

What you did there was read Nick Kyme back to back with our lord Aaron Dembski-Bowden, so bottom tier of BL writing vs the very best, and I'd strongly advice to stay away from Kyme and just go read the Night Lords trilogy.

Also, I'd ask your friend if he has read ADB's books, because if he has and still calls the Salamander series amazing he has some very weird tastes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, uh, I purchased it and read the foreword from the Author..... I don't feel comfortable for reading this to mock it anymore. Sorry guys, I guess I'm not biter and jaded enough to do this.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, uh, I purchased it and read the foreword from the Author..... I don't feel comfortable for reading this to mock it anymore. Sorry guys, I guess I'm not biter and jaded enough to do this.

The Emperor himself would not demand you continue. I don't blame you a bit. (Be sure to notify GW that somebody's using their IP to make a profit!)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

VanSandman posted:

The Emperor himself would not demand you continue. I don't blame you a bit. (Be sure to notify GW that somebody's using their IP to make a profit!)

The foreword kinda gave me the impression he was using this as a way of working through PTSD/Survivors guilt (The dreadnought, for instance, was named after his Sargent in Afghanistan that I felt was implied died there)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't want to read it anymore either. :smith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bunnyofdoom posted:

The foreword kinda gave me the impression he was using this as a way of working through PTSD/Survivors guilt (The dreadnought, for instance, was named after his Sargent in Afghanistan that I felt was implied died there)
Be that as it may, he is charging people for it. I think GW will probably say that's a crime worse than survivor's guilt can excuse.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Be that as it may, he is charging people for it. I think GW will probably say that's a crime worse than survivor's guilt can excuse.

Not arguing that point. Just stating why I feel severely wrong mocking it

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
But why is there a naked girl on the cover? I don't get that.

*EDIT* I read the intro to his marine at war book, and yeah it seems like he is. :smith:

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 25, 2014

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Call me jaded but it might just be part of the monetizing, like the back of the book advertising that you should read it because WRITTEN BY A %100 REAL AMERICAN MARINE ADDING REAL REALISM INTO THIS FANTASY SETTING THAT ONLY AN AMERICAN MARINE THAT HAS SEEN REAL WAR CAN.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bunnyofdoom posted:

:smith: There's something kind of cute/sad about soldiers who are into 40k, but this is just legit sad. I kind of always assume they're either engaging in fantasy or working through serious issues. I guess we know which one this is and dammit, there are worse ways of making sense of your life.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I'm iffy on whether GW should let this slide or not.

Maybe they'll let him sell it for $0.99 with a disclaimer that GW doesn't officially own or endorse the product, but that's probably wishful thinking.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I'm iffy on whether GW should let this slide or not.

Maybe they'll let him sell it for $0.99 with a disclaimer that GW doesn't officially own or endorse the product, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Haha no they legally cannot allow that.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Yeah you have to defend your copyright or risk losing the ability to defend it in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They could just have him take it down, then buy it from him for 50 bucks, and re-release it for 99 cents, right? Not that there's a chance in hell it would happen, but they could do it.

edit: It would probably make him really happy to be a real GW author :unsmith: