Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's on this page dude, Welsper posted it. TWSBI line width ink flow adjustment. All you do is squeeze the nib kinda hard on the sides at its wides point.

edit: well, last page now :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Ordered a bottle of Tsuki-yo and a TWSBI 700. I hope this cold snap doesn't ruin the ink.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

powderific posted:

It's on this page dude, Welsper posted it. TWSBI line width ink flow adjustment. All you do is squeeze the nib kinda hard on the sides at its wides point.

edit: well, last page now :negative:

Oh. Duh. I didn't realize that was a TWSBI link in my raging silliness. I don't usually click YouTube links from my phone. Sorry!

In other news, TWSBI is releasing the rose gold 580 in white! I'm ridiculously excited. I was crushingly disappointed with the black option. The rose gold is meant to be next to white. (Also, it seems to be adverb day.) I just need a gorgeous cracked turquoise pen (like the Edison Nouveau one that I didn't buy because I'm lame), and my pen collection is complete! Until I decide I need a Pelikan M400. You know how it goes. Any turquoise pen recommendations?

milpreve fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 23, 2014

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My Jinhao x450 pen just arrived. 6 bucks? Free shipping? Smoother than I expected! Also the nib has way more flex than I expected.

I can't complain (yet). Feels heavy and substantial!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

milpreve posted:

Oh. Duh. I didn't realize that was a TWSBI link in my raging silliness. I don't usually click YouTube links from my phone. Sorry!

In other news, TWSBI is releasing the rose gold 580 in white! I'm ridiculously excited. I was crushingly disappointed with the black option. The rose gold is meant to be next to white. (Also, it seems to be adverb day.) I just need a gorgeous cracked turquoise pen (like the Edison Nouveau one that I didn't buy because I'm lame), and my pen collection is complete! Until I decide I need a Pelikan M400. You know how it goes. Any turquoise pen recommendations?

How does this work for you?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I have a Cross Aventura that I picked up for $20 at Staples, with the stock M nib and a converter (FYI, for other pen newbies, the Aventura takes the green push-in Cross converter). Got it loaded with Noodler's Red-Black. As an entry-level pen, it's pretty decent, but the whole "you can take it completely apart" aspect of the TWSBI pens appeals to my nerdy side.

I contacted Cross and they'd be more than happy to sell me a F replacement nib if I call in.

I might go with that or just spring for a TWSBI Diamond 580 with an EF nib and maybe a stub to swap in when I'm feeling fancy.

Red-Black is a gorgeous ink color, by the way.

e: Holy poo poo, I am sitting here drooling over Jinhao pens. So cheap and so pretty. :swoon:

Noodler's Red-Black:

I prefer a finer nib, but fountain pens are such a joy to write with.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 24, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I have a Cross Aventura that I picked up for $20 at Staples, with the stock M nib and a converter (FYI, for other pen newbies, the Aventura takes the green push-in Cross converter). Got it loaded with Noodler's Red-Black. As an entry-level pen, it's pretty decent, but the whole "you can take it completely apart" aspect of the TWSBI pens appeals to my nerdy side.

I contacted Cross and they'd be more than happy to sell me a F replacement nib if I call in.

I might go with that or just spring for a TWSBI Diamond 580 with an EF nib and maybe a stub to swap in when I'm feeling fancy.

e: Holy poo poo, I am sitting here drooling over Jinhao pens. So cheap and so pretty. :swoon:

Noodler's Red-Black:

My first pen was an Aventura as well. I went straight to a TWSBI 540 Diamond and never looked back.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Well after thinking that my nib was bent out of shape, getting a new cartridge and giving the nib and feed a good cleaning has made my Safari much more pleasant to write with. Still not super smooth but it's more along the lines of what I was expecting a fountain pen to be like.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Diluted 5ml of Private Reserve Ebony Green with .5ml of water, refilled my Vista with it and it starts like a champ now.

Guess it was the winter weather!

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Does paper make a difference. I find that my Safari is not too pleasant to write with on super cheap lined notebook paper. Can anyone recommend some good note-taking, daily use paper?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Motley posted:

Does paper make a difference. I find that my Safari is not too pleasant to write with on super cheap lined notebook paper. Can anyone recommend some good note-taking, daily use paper?
Paper makes a huge difference. Rhodia/Clairefontaine are the usual ones people suggest. I'm quite fond of Black n' Red notebooks myself.

e: just to add, ink often takes longer to dry on higher-quality paper. Something to bear in mind if you hate waiting a few seconds before turning a page or whatever.

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 24, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Soricidus posted:

Paper makes a huge difference. Rhodia/Clairefontaine are the usual ones people suggest. I'm quite fond of Black n' Red notebooks myself.

e: just to add, ink often takes longer to dry on higher-quality paper. Something to bear in mind if you hate waiting a few seconds before turning a page or whatever.

This in turn leads to needing to buy some of that pink blotter paper and then maybe some desk accessories like a fine handcrafted wood blotter :v:

Motley
Nov 1, 2013

Soricidus posted:

Can I find these in a store or do they have to be ordered online?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Black 'n' Red/Red 'n' Black are available in stores. Rhodia/Clairefontaine are usually online order only, unless you have an art store nearby that can get them for you.

Staples Bargasse (sugarcane) paper used to be popular, but I haven't heard much about it recently so you may want to try it out before you buy.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

The Safari arrived, and I really like the black matte finish on it. Ink flows nicely as well, and it isn't leaking all over the place (yet)!

Except my italic hand has gone to poo poo, so I've got to practice that. Thanks for all the advice, though!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Black 'n' Red/Red 'n' Black are available in stores. Rhodia/Clairefontaine are usually online order only, unless you have an art store nearby that can get them for you.

Staples Bargasse (sugarcane) paper used to be popular, but I haven't heard much about it recently so you may want to try it out before you buy.

I use a sugarcane paper notepad I bought at Office Depot at work and it's incredibly well-behaved while also being comparably priced to cheap paper. If you can find a notebook that suits you in sugarcane paper, go for it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Easy availability in stores is one of the reasons I like them. It's great if you're disorganized and impatient :v:

Honestly I think the paper's better too. I only have one Rhodia pad, and maybe it's atypical somehow, but if I use a wet nib with it I get noticable feathering and a little bleedthrough. The same pen behaves perfectly with the paper in Black n' Red pads, which appears to be Optik brand.

Rhodia notebooks look nicer, though.

Everything Burrito posted:

This in turn leads to needing to buy some of that pink blotter paper and then maybe some desk accessories like a fine handcrafted wood blotter :v:
:negative:

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I must be spoiled, because in my city you can find Rhodia, Clairefontaine and any other brand rather easily. There's a stationery store in my city that has LITERALLY (and I mean that literally) every single brand of notebook/paper I've ever heard of or read about. The prices aren't incredible, but the convenience is. They also have a bunch of fountain pens and inks.

Every bookstore or university store has clairefontaine and/or rhodia as well. I think you just need to look around, they're easier to find than you think.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I don't even do that much writing besides journaling but writing my thoughts down is so much loving sexier with a fountain pen.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Even though I love my Rhodia notebooks, I really wish I knew about 28 lb laser paper:

http://www.staples.com/HammerMill-Heavyweight-Laser-Print-Paper-28-lb-8-1-2-inch-x/product_477915

A ream of 500 sheets will set you back $16. The Rhodia paper is WAY more expensive. I don't mind unlined paper, because I can write on it with no problems, and for note-taking, it's just for my own eyes, so I don't care if it's not perfectly lined up. It's quite smooth, and I haven't noticed any serious feathering or anything, with any of the (cheap) pens that I own. I don't own any expensive pens, and it seems silly for me to spend half the cost of a new pen on a single notebook. Nuts to that.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I can verify that the bagasse/sugarcane paper is pretty nice for writing on.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

pienipple posted:

They used to be the secret go-to for people in the know on FPN, the only problem was that Staples' stock of the paper was spotty at best and often people couldn't get their hands on it. I hope that's improved somewhat.

supercow
Aug 11, 2009
For me I don't really care what paper I use but I really like writing on hard surfaces. Like not writing on a notebook or on a pile of paper but like one piece of paper against the desk. I never use any fancy paper and my Al-Star writes amazing on pretty much anything... EXCEPT carbon copy paper. At work a lot of forms I have to fill out have carbon copies and I find that using fountain pens I don't push down hard enough to leave anything on the carbon copy and I have to switch to crappy pens. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

Also on a side note, while collecting fountain pens are awesome, I kind of want to turn this hobby into something more than just sinking money into buying new pens/inks and I wanted to try my hand at restoring old fountain pens. Does anyone have any good suggestions on where to start? I've heard Da Book is a good starting point or Oldfield Manual. Would something like this be totally overkill?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUNTAIN-PEN-REPAIR-KIT-EVERYTHING-YOU-NEED-IN-ONE-PACKAGE-/330712624541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d00022d9d
And besides ebay, any other good places to buying large lots of pens that I could fix up?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I prefer finer nibs myself for generic writing, notes and such but once you start getting into inks with shading properties and such you really REALLY need to experiment a bit with wider/italic nibs to bring out those subtleties in the inks.

My favorite, utterly FAVORITE red ink is the Hitchcock limited edition ink from Montblanc. After my first bottle I bought a few (more than I care to admit) just to keep it around forever. It dries like blood and is utterly beautiful.

Motley posted:

Paper makes a HUGE difference but you don't necessarily have to break the bank to get good stuff. Clairefontaine and Rhodia have been mentioned already, but the Tomo River paper is FANTASTIC stuff, it's kind of pricey tho'.
Goulet has their Apica line and they're priced well, made well and write very well.

I've seen it suggested to go buy paper tailored for laser printers as well, but I haven't tried it myself.

Honestly, just try anything and everything, you'd be surprised.

Edit: OH and in other happy surprise news, Hobonichi sent me a happy little Christmas card! Not a big thing, but kind of nice from a company just because I bought one of their Techo planners. So far, now that I've used mine for the better part of a month, I'm still as enraptured as I could possibly be. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 25, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

supercow posted:

At work a lot of forms I have to fill out have carbon copies and I find that using fountain pens I don't push down hard enough to leave anything on the carbon copy and I have to switch to crappy pens. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

Also on a side note, while collecting fountain pens are awesome, I kind of want to turn this hobby into something more than just sinking money into buying new pens/inks and I wanted to try my hand at restoring old fountain pens. Does anyone have any good suggestions on where to start? I've heard Da Book is a good starting point or Oldfield Manual. Would something like this be totally overkill?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUNTAIN-PEN-REPAIR-KIT-EVERYTHING-YOU-NEED-IN-ONE-PACKAGE-/330712624541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d00022d9d
And besides ebay, any other good places to buying large lots of pens that I could fix up?

FP nibs don't work well with carbons, because FPs aren't built to press down - they're built to glide. What you'll want is a very stiff nib, what used to be referred to as a "posting" nib. Even that still may not work because of a fundamental mismatch between what you need for carbons (heavy pressure) and what you shouldn't use with FPs (...heavy pressure).

For repair etc, read Richard Binder's site thoroughly. He is one of the premier pen repairers and his site is a wealth of knowledge. Also poke around the Repair setions of FPN and FPB, maybe FPGeeks (ehhh). Da Book is a little outdated these days, so don't be surprised if you read advice that disagrees with it. If you're in a large metro area, find a local pen group and prepare to encounter aspergers-ridden greybeards. Go to a pen show and find Pendleton, Minuskin, or Binder and ask them questions; maybe see if you can watch them work or if they offer repair classes.

Honestly? You probably don't want to start with an eBay lot of junk pens, because they'll either be universally terrible/unsuitable for your needs, or out of your price range if there's anything good in the lot. Start with one or two good "target" pens for learners that can teach you the basics. Esterbrooks are good for learning to re-sac, but prices are steadily rising as the supply gets scarcer - 2-3 years ago you could get a restored Estie for $30, now they're pushing $60.

Don't try nib work until you've got re-saccing down; working with a nib can go south in a hurry if you're not careful, and once a nib is tweaked, even if you untweak it it will never be the way it was.

Oh, and resist the temptation to offer your repair services to others. If you think the sound of a section cracking is nightmarish, just wait until it's someone else's pen from which you solicit that noise...

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 25, 2014

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I can confirm that even Staples non-eco friendly legal pads work great. :)

supercow
Aug 11, 2009

FP nibs don't work well with carbons, because FPs aren't built to press down - they're built to glide. What you'll want is a very stiff nib, what used to be referred to as a "posting" nib. Even that still may not work because of a fundamental mismatch between what you need for carbons (heavy pressure) and what you shouldn't use with FPs (...heavy pressure).

For repair etc, read Richard Binder's site thoroughly. He is one of the premier pen repairers and his site is a wealth of knowledge. Also poke around the Repair setions of FPN and FPB, maybe FPGeeks (ehhh). Da Book is a little outdated these days, so don't be surprised if you read advice that disagrees with it. If you're in a large metro area, find a local pen group and prepare to encounter aspergers-ridden greybeards. Go to a pen show and find Pendleton, Minuskin, or Binder and ask them questions; maybe see if you can watch them work or if they offer repair classes.

Honestly? You probably don't want to start with an eBay lot of junk pens, because they'll either be universally terrible/unsuitable for your needs, or out of your price range if there's anything good in the lot. Start with one or two good "target" pens for learners that can teach you the basics. Esterbrooks are good for learning to re-sac, but prices are steadily rising as the supply gets scarcer - 2-3 years ago you could get a restored Estie for $30, now they're pushing $60.

Don't try nib work until you've got re-saccing down; working with a nib can go south in a hurry if you're not careful, and once a nib is tweaked, even if you untweak it it will never be the way it was.

Oh, and resist the temptation to offer your repair services to others. If you think the sound of a section cracking is nightmarish, just wait until it's someone else's pen from which you solicit that noise...

Yeah I figured about the carbon copy stuff. Also thanks for the pen repair advice, I'll try to look into that. I don't think I'd mix well with the stereotypical fountain pen folks so I'll try to avoid pen shows for now but maybe in the future when I'm further along. And yes I won't try to repair anyone else's pen haha that sounds like a disaster.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

supercow posted:

Yeah I figured about the carbon copy stuff. Also thanks for the pen repair advice, I'll try to look into that. I don't think I'd mix well with the stereotypical fountain pen folks so I'll try to avoid pen shows for now but maybe in the future when I'm further along. And yes I won't try to repair anyone else's pen haha that sounds like a disaster.

Also, with regards to carbon paper, another type of nib made for carbon paper was the "manifold" nib. They can be found pretty commonly on pens like Esterbrooks, being an old style. Sheaffer Triumph style nibs are also very stiff and can be used on carbon paper, confirmed by myself.

"Posting" nibs were actually designed to write on cheap, soft, fibrous postcard paper hence the name, though will still work on carbon paper.

Don't write off going to a fountain pen show. They can sound like they'd be full of a specific type of person, which they usually are as it comes with the territory :v:, but at the end of the day everyone there is there to talk fountain pens. I've met some very interesting and knowledgeable people at fountain pen shows.

I'd also like to add that John Sorowka is also an extremely talented nibmeister and pen repair expert, though he's more involved in the UK scene I believe.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

TY for the posting clarification. I get the two confused, especially since accountancy/posting usually required firmness.

Is Sorowka Oxonian, or am I thinking of the other main Brit pen repair dude?

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Read through the thread after seeing a cool looking pen on the Hobonichi Techo tumblr and wondering what it was (a Lamy Safari). Now I've got a White Lamy Safari, a bottle of Konpeki, and a Kakuno. I can see this being a long and dangerous road, especially since I've got a pretty neat pen store by my town.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

TY for the posting clarification. I get the two confused, especially since accountancy/posting usually required firmness.

Is Sorowka Oxonian, or am I thinking of the other main Brit pen repair dude?

Yeah to be fair they're pretty much interchangeable terms, though posting nibs tend to have extremely smooth tipping so as not to get caught in paper fibres. I think Pilot initially came up with the idea.

Yes Sorowka is Oxonian. I think I might get one of my pens smoothed by him at the next pen fair I go to. Peter Twydle is another UK pen guy though he mainly does repairs and restorations as opposed to nib work.

Cactus-Piss
Oct 3, 2005

Did powering up involve getting a large black dick jammed in your ass?
So I was bored and started drawing.
Pen: Pilot Metal Falcon
Ink: Iroshizuku Take-Sumi

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

pienipple posted:

I can find these pretty easily where I live, and they usually cheaper than the price I see here on amazon. I paid 3$ for mine. They work exceptionally well with Fountain Pens. No bleedthrough, a tiny bit of showthrough, and the paper provides a nice amount of feedback if you like that (it isn't super glassy). They are perfect for the college student that's into fountain pens but doesn't want to spend 10$ per Rhodia notepad

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Breadnought posted:

Read through the thread after seeing a cool looking pen on the Hobonichi Techo tumblr and wondering what it was (a Lamy Safari). Now I've got a White Lamy Safari, a bottle of Konpeki, and a Kakuno. I can see this being a long and dangerous road, especially since I've got a pretty neat pen store by my town.

My Kaküno is my favorite pen to use in my Techo. I gave it a clip so I wouldn't lose it out of my pen loops. It's a great combo, and pen stuff is as addicting as cute tape or things to put in your techo, if you're anything like me. :)

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

milpreve posted:

pen stuff is as addicting

We need our own :homebrew:, but with inky fingers.

Fake edit: My fairly pristine Parker "21" Super just arrived, it's a little inky but not terrible. Smoothest nib I have ever dry tested, so I can't wait to ink it up/drop it on the floor and break it.

Real edit: :homebrew:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

:retrogames:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Breadnought posted:

Speaking of the Techo, I've just got to say, the more I use mine, the more I get into having goofy fun with pasting in movie tickets and stuff, the more I absolutely ADORE the damned thing. Love love love the Techo. Plus, again, they sent me a Christmas card!

Customer for life here.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

iostream.h posted:

Speaking of the Techo, I've just got to say, the more I use mine, the more I get into having goofy fun with pasting in movie tickets and stuff, the more I absolutely ADORE the damned thing. Love love love the Techo. Plus, again, they sent me a Christmas card!

Customer for life here.

That's my favorite part. Tickets, fortunes, string, wristbands, and I especially love sticking in random things. That and the paper has spoiled me for anything else.

Goulet nib question: I can't make the darn thing write nicely. It writes after a second when I scribble with it, but it dries out after even just moving a letter and some upstrokes. I have brass sheets, micro mesh, and Mylar sheets. Most if the advice I've found online is about the pen; flush out mashing oils, problems with the feed... My Vac 700 writes fine with its stock nib, but when I swap to the Goulet nib it gets wacky. I'm testing on Rhodia paper. Any advice to fix this?

Cactus-Piss
Oct 3, 2005

Did powering up involve getting a large black dick jammed in your ass?
So I just received my purchase of Noodlers Blue Ghost and Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku, and I must say I love them both. My Take-Sumi is great but the Ku-Jaku adds more personality to my writing, because of the alternate color and shading capabilities which work phenomenally with my Falcon's flex nib

I have now made it my goal to convert the entire office to fountain pens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes

This whole series is off the chain. I've been using the shin-kai in my pilot 743 and literally every time I put pen to paper I'm fascinated all over again. Yama-guri definitely a close 2nd for favorites.