Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
So Gmail's down.

For everyone.

Including corporate users.

This is gonna be a fun day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

McGlockenshire posted:

So Gmail's down.

For everyone.

This must have been the world's smallest outage, I guess.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Working (slowly) here on both my personal account and business Apps one.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

evol262 posted:

This must have been the world's smallest outage, I guess.

Out for about 10 minutes here.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

McGlockenshire posted:

So Gmail's down.

For everyone.

Yep. 10-15 minutes.
We aren't Google or anything related to an email provider.
We still got calls from clients about it asking us to update them "once google has let you know its fixed".
Yeah, no.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Still buggerd for me, AU.

E: Still out; Others are up?

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 24, 2014

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Yahoo are being classy about it

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

I just used "Kindly do the needful" and "Warmest regards" on an email to an outsourced partner group. My day is complete, I can go home satisfied with the work I have done for the day.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
For what it's worth, gmail is working fine for me over here in the UK.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Up again now in AU, do we know what caused it yet?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

EvilMuppet posted:

Accidental concrete flooding.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Siochain posted:

Yep. 10-15 minutes.
We aren't Google or anything related to an email provider.
We still got calls from clients about it asking us to update them "once google has let you know its fixed".
Yeah, no.

My response to that is always a cheerful "Sure!"

Since I don't have a ticket in with Google about it, they aren't going to let me know when it's fixed, so I never call them back.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Still intermittently working for me. Gmail is up, G+ and hangouts are down (not that we use them for business purposes)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
An e-waste guy came in.

Oh wait, no he didn't. Stood us up last time. If he doesn't show today we're getting a new guy to come take our junk and sell.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Google Music is down and that's all I need for my day :(

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EvilMuppet posted:

I just assume it's Google breaking their own network on purpose. (Ctrl+F for "at 3am")

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Mother of God.

So, I work for a law firm, we have remote access via Citrix (we only provide apps, not full desktops.)

A user calls in because he's trying to use a legal program, CPI, over Citrix and he's having problems getting in.

So I check and his permissions are set up perfectly to use CPI locally, but when he logs in to Citrix it's opening up a website for the CPI Web Access Module, which I've never even heard of.

Curious, I assign myself to the Citrix group for it and I get the same thing - no actual program, just the web service.

So I start on down the chain of phone calls to try and figure out what the hell is going on, and discover the following:

1) The CPI application can't be virtualized (this is a straight lie, I've worked at other firms where it has been, but I don't even bother trying to argue with our engineering team anymore because they have zero accountability for their poo poo, as the rest of this story will demonstrate.)
2) The Web Access Module is the correct way to remote access it, but nobody bothered to set it up so it will work directly when outside the firm.
3) The URL for the Web Access Module in Citrix is wrong.
4) The actual procedure is to keep the incorrect icon on the Citrix page, have them open IE and type the correct web access module and log in that way. But he can't be removed from the group that makes the regular icon display. Why? :iiam:
5) Except in order to get to the WAM they need a separate WAM account - the AD groups that manage regular CPI login won't manage the WAM.
6) Who is the WAM administrator? :iiam:
7) I call the dev team and lie to them until they make me a WAM administrator so I can set this guy's account up.
8) I get everything set up and test it, and it's working "correctly" - I'm putting that in quotes because nothing about this situation is remotely correct - and
9) I sit there not wanting to call the user back because I am genuinely ashamed at the answer I am going to provide him.

Seriously, I need to get promoted to the engineering team because the first thing you can do when you get there is cross "give a gently caress about anything, ever" off your to-do list.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW
I work in Citrix primarily, and just about every story I hear of it from other companies makes me cringe.

I guarantee you the URL is wrong because one guy published the app that way, and nobody on your eng team knows how to change it.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
"its an emergency, build these new servers!"

Okay, the network barely works, and none of the networks are in the provisioning tools but okay here goes...

"YOU BROKE PRODUCTION TRAFFIC!"

Uh, no. None of these IP's exist in the provisioning tools. If you're running production servies outside of the provisioning manager, you're about to get spanked far harder than you expected me to be.

Don't try to subjugate the process, you might look like a hero briefly, but the pain you will cause yourself will hurt far worse.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

I work in Citrix primarily, and just about every story I hear of it from other companies makes me cringe.

I guarantee you the URL is wrong because one guy published the app that way, and nobody on your eng team knows how to change it.

I would have a lot more sympathy for them if there were significant turnover on the engineering team, but I think the shortest period of time any of them have worked here is at least five years, and nobody has quit in at least that long. How can you lose institutional memory when you haven't freaking lost anybody in the institution?

I seriously think they began contracting poo poo out without telling anybody, which is why none of them seem to know how to do anything.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

The Fool posted:

They pay for the best buy extended warranty and installation.

Whenever I'm contacted by the clueless user asking a ridiculous question, this scene plays in my head. Every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyC0gcMD8O8

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Today the VP had a meeting with my supervisor because THERE AREN'T ENOUGH TICKETS :supaburn:

He doesn't get calls anymore (apparently he used to get calls all the time about how I CALLED IT LIKE 5 TIMES AND THEY DIDN'T HELP ME!!) but apparently the number of tickets opened last year is down from the year before and this is a big problem

We haven't been opening tickets for stupid/small stuff because, well, it's stupid/small stuff.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EvilMuppet posted:

The fellow who hands out the webpages had to take a 10 minute bathroom break, and he forgot to set up the drinking bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iapECJKx4k0

Once he came back from his break, everything was fine, or at least this is what I'm going to suggest.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just learned that one of our locations needs two very old laptops replaced before they fail and kill production. The laptops are carried around to connect to a myriad of specialized devices, some of which date back to the 1970s. The newest OS that can speak to the old devices is Windows 98.

So now I have to find out how I can get a copy of Win 98 to run in a VM (VMWare?) and then see if it will talk to the devices. I also need to survey all the special ports they require, see if there are USB versions available and then see if the guest OS can make use of them.

Where do you even get such an old OS?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

myron cope posted:

We haven't been opening tickets for stupid/small stuff because, well, it's stupid/small stuff.

Don't lie, but if that happened to me I'd say "After resolving issues, I have began asking 'are there any other minor issues that I might be able to take care of while I'm down here?' This reduces the number of tickets but is extremely good for building a good reputation."

If your company has a bullshit customer service slogan, this is a time to use it.

"I always try to give them the pickle!"

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dick Trauma posted:

I just learned that one of our locations needs two very old laptops replaced before they fail and kill production. The laptops are carried around to connect to a myriad of specialized devices, some of which date back to the 1970s. The newest OS that can speak to the old devices is Windows 98.

So now I have to find out how I can get a copy of Win 98 to run in a VM (VMWare?) and then see if it will talk to the devices. I also need to survey all the special ports they require, see if there are USB versions available and then see if the guest OS can make use of them.

Where do you even get such an old OS?

Ebay has a ton of retail keys and cds. I think I lost most of my discs for 98SE since XP came out but god knows it's still installed on my 75mhz toshiba libretto and some other old systems I haven't powered up in a few years.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I get what it means but all I can think about is how "giving the user the pickle" is an euphemism that will result in a meeting with HR.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Tonight is trying to drive me insane.

A user is going internationally and needs int'l voice and data on his phone. I call last week to get him set up with the plan he wants.

He calls back a few days later and says he's decided he DOESN'T want to get e-mails when he's overseas, just voice. I tell him I'm not sure that's possible but I'll call AT&T to find out for sure. AT&T, weirdly, says sure and they'll block his data effective today. Huh, okay. So I give him all the info so he'll know what to expect on cost breakdowns.

Well, he calls today and says he's still getting e-mails. I call AT&T and they say, as I expected, that the tech I talked to was full of poo poo and that if he needs voice he just has to get data too because they can't differentiate. Okay, so I add a the international data and make arrangements for him not to be billed for this because I had relayed AT&T's incorrect info to him.

I get the confirmation e-mail and discover that AT&T had backdated the data so it's going to expire while he's still overseas.

I call them AGAIN and they tell me that whoops, he doesn't have the voice service that was added last week and didn't need to be changed at all! So they readded that. Which I'm assuming at this point means they canceled the line and threw the SIM number into the fires of Mt Doom, and then tried to figure out a way to make razor blades come out of the phone when you use it.

Edit: I can't just block data on the BES because we don't have that as a preconfigured policy, I'm not a BES admin, and see above re: my engineering team being 100% useless.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't lie, but if that happened to me I'd say "After resolving issues, I have began asking 'are there any other minor issues that I might be able to take care of while I'm down here?' This reduces the number of tickets but is extremely good for building a good reputation."

If your company has a bullshit customer service slogan, this is a time to use it.

We aren't in any kind of trouble over it (especially not me, since I just started in mid-November), it's just a policy change going forward.

Three months from now if it's still happening, I could see it being an issue for us. I'm just going to ticket everything no matter how dumb it is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You need to attend the Tony(?) school of ticket creation.

IIRC he managed to make a new user creation into like 5 tickets by breaking it down into account, profile folder, email account, test account, email user or some poo poo like that.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

myron cope posted:

We aren't in any kind of trouble over it (especially not me, since I just started in mid-November), it's just a policy change going forward.

Three months from now if it's still happening, I could see it being an issue for us. I'm just going to ticket everything no matter how dumb it is.

To be fair, this isn't as dumb as it might seem. Opening a ticket for every issue, even minor ones, is actually helpful for a number of reasons: it lets you track trends that could indicate a bigger root problem, it provides documentation of what was done to fix issues (something that seems "minor and stupid" to you might not to a new guy who hasn't seen it and fixed it a hundred times...or to you when you're trying to fix the same problem while half-asleep after being awakened at 3AM), it provides a record of who did what to which systems at what time if you don't have a proper change management tool that you use for every change no matter how minor, and, of course, it clearly shows your management team how much work you're doing and whether that workload is increasing or decreasing. It may seem annoying to have to spend a minute or two creating a ticket for a thirty-second fix, but it's usually worth the pain, unless your ticket system is literally so broken as to be useless for anything but basic metrics.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

dennyk posted:

To be fair, this isn't as dumb as it might seem. Opening a ticket for every issue, even minor ones, is actually helpful for a number of reasons: it lets you track trends that could indicate a bigger root problem, it provides documentation of what was done to fix issues (something that seems "minor and stupid" to you might not to a new guy who hasn't seen it and fixed it a hundred times...or to you when you're trying to fix the same problem while half-asleep after being awakened at 3AM), it provides a record of who did what to which systems at what time if you don't have a proper change management tool that you use for every change no matter how minor, and, of course, it clearly shows your management team how much work you're doing and whether that workload is increasing or decreasing. It may seem annoying to have to spend a minute or two creating a ticket for a thirty-second fix, but it's usually worth the pain, unless your ticket system is literally so broken as to be useless for anything but basic metrics.

I agree, actually. We get a lot of store managers that call in and say things like "something is broken on this register is broken every day!" and the last ticket we have is from three months ago. Of course, we know that they are full of poo poo when they say things like this, but issues may be occurring more than once every three months and just going undocumented. So, if everyone sticks with it, it will actually help in that regard. (Of course, going through some older tickets I see in the log things like "fixed by doing the usual" like that's in any way helpful to anyone. The comment may as well be "i'm a pretty horsie!").

But also our ticket system is pretty bad.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
An email came in from my Dad.

It's nothing but an attached file called Document1.docx, and the text: "Love you, Dad".

I stare at this for a little bit wondering just what the gently caress, and wondering if he's been hit by a virus or something. Then I figure if I open it in my webmail's previewer, I should be ok.

In the document, he has pasted a screenshot of a website, and written beneath it "I want to install the free software from this site, does it look safe?"

No link to the website, just a screenshot of it.

Yes the software looked fairly legit, and yes this is better than him installing any random crap and asking for help later, but still! An unnamed attached document with no explanation, with a screenshot of a website when a simple link would suffice.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

NZAmoeba posted:

An email came in from my Dad.

It's nothing but an attached file called Document1.docx, and the text: "Love you, Dad".

I stare at this for a little bit wondering just what the gently caress, and wondering if he's been hit by a virus or something. Then I figure if I open it in my webmail's previewer, I should be ok.

In the document, he has pasted a screenshot of a website, and written beneath it "I want to install the free software from this site, does it look safe?"

No link to the website, just a screenshot of it.

Yes the software looked fairly legit, and yes this is better than him installing any random crap and asking for help later, but still! An unnamed attached document with no explanation, with a screenshot of a website when a simple link would suffice.

He didn't want to send you the link in case he accidentally infected your computer.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Re: A retard came in.

This is actually the same one from my bellyaching post earlier this week. Same bat-problem, same bat-moron. Even the normally robotic Indian phone support worklog said "User cannot perform the steps properly", which I take it as the help desk's way of saying "this nigga fuckin' stupid". I kind of want to email or call the helpdesk to commiserate.

He actually managed to get into the VDI system. But he got stopped by the EMR system.

I looked in his password reset history... he's had his password reset at least 15 times since June. I remember when I worked at an audit firm during orientation that IT support said that if you ask for a password reset too many times you're liable to get talked to by a manager. We were just punk rear end interns filling in workpapers, this is a doctor we're talking about. If he habitually forgets this stuff, what else is he forgetting? I'm actually going to talk to our site manager about possibly reporting this to medical staffing as I think it's indicative of him being a potential legal liability to the hospital. Today it's forgotten passwords, tomorrow it's a forgotten allergy. He doesn't even have patients himself, he's just consulting for other doctors.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

skooma512 posted:

This is actually the same one from my bellyaching post earlier this week. Same bat-problem, same bat-moron. Even the normally robotic Indian phone support worklog said "User cannot perform the steps properly", which I take it as the help desk's way of saying "this nigga fuckin' stupid". I kind of want to email or call the helpdesk to commiserate.

He actually managed to get into the VDI system. But he got stopped by the EMR system.

I looked in his password reset history... he's had his password reset at least 15 times since June. I remember when I worked at an audit firm during orientation that IT support said that if you ask for a password reset too many times you're liable to get talked to by a manager. We were just punk rear end interns filling in workpapers, this is a doctor we're talking about. If he habitually forgets this stuff, what else is he forgetting? I'm actually going to talk to our site manager about possibly reporting this to medical staffing as I think it's indicative of him being a potential legal liability to the hospital. Today it's forgotten passwords, tomorrow it's a forgotten allergy. He doesn't even have patients himself, he's just consulting for other doctors.

A goon friend of mine who is an MD once told me "There are two kinds of doctors. People who are very smart, and people who are very good at doing lots of schoolwork." Looks like you got the dumb kind.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

tehloki posted:

A goon friend of mine who is an MD once told me "There are two kinds of doctors. People who are very smart, and people who are very good at doing lots of schoolwork." Looks like you got the dumb kind.

I think that applies to many professions. Going through school I worked alongside the people who were great at memorising textbooks and writing exams, but complete failures at applying the knowledge as soon as the situation varied slightly from what was written on an exam. Others were great at actually learning and applying their knowledge, even if they didn't do as well in grades.

I know what kind I would rather work with any day.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I understand you don't like the guy but you are an IT person and he is a doctor. You don't know the first thing about being a doctor so much as he doesn't about computer stuff.

What I'm trying to say is that you are in no way qualified to assess this guy's medical performance.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

spankmeister posted:

I understand you don't like the guy but you are an IT person and he is a doctor. You don't know the first thing about being a doctor so much as he doesn't about computer stuff.

What I'm trying to say is that you are in no way qualified to assess this guy's medical performance.

Maybe not, but if he's having this much trouble just logging in to the EMR, then how much trouble does he have using it? A doctor bumbling around in an EMR is a massive liability, even if the worst he does is doing a consult off of an outdated chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeitGeits
Jun 20, 2006
Too much time....

hihifellow posted:

Maybe not, but if he's having this much trouble just logging in to the EMR, then how much trouble does he have using it? A doctor bumbling around in an EMR is a massive liability, even if the worst he does is doing a consult off of an outdated chart.

He probably isn't forgetting his password due to incompetence, he just doesn't give a crap about using your resources and therefore doesn't bother to remember his password. His usage of IT resources (your time and the time of the helpdesk) is not a technical problem, it is a problem of your management. And if his services to the bottom line of your company justify unlimited use of IT resources, so be it.

First rule of healthcare IT: Never give a flying gently caress about best practices or doing what's right: shut up and do what you are told. Healthcare companies are the most hierarchical organizations there are, outside of the military. So you need to learn to play their game.

• Locked thread