Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Swagger started with a doctor bomb, which is just an awesome finisher. Then they had him start doing a dumb corner splash and the ankle lock. Then they had him win the title in 2010 and become a complete Chris Jericho clone who got clowned by everyone and it was awful. From there he slid down the cards into obscurity. I have no idea what their problem is with him.
Maybe it's the lisp? It sounds arbitrary and cruel enough to be something the WWE would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WHEREYOUGOIN?HOLYCOW!WHEREYOUGOIN?HOLYCOW!WHEREYOUGOIN?HOLYCOW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glLF89ydqOg

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aurain posted:

Maybe it's the lisp? It sounds arbitrary and cruel enough to be something the WWE would do.

Except then they did the smart thing and gave him Dutch Mantell as a mouthpiece... WWE is really bipolar sometimes.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

The injury that put Edge out of the business: is it the sort of thing he has to watch out for in every day life? Say, if he slips on an icy pavement or something. Or does the risk of paralysis come mostly from the impact he would sustain from a wrestling bump?

Curious how close he is from one awkward fall putting him in a wheelchair.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I doubt he's doing many of his own stunts on Haven, at the very least.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

emjayo posted:

The injury that put Edge out of the business: is it the sort of thing he has to watch out for in every day life? Say, if he slips on an icy pavement or something. Or does the risk of paralysis come mostly from the impact he would sustain from a wrestling bump?

His injury is scheduled for one fall.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

birdlaw posted:

His injury is scheduled for one fall.

:golfclap:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I thought the lyric from X-pac/DX's theme was "Pay the price, little man" like it was saying "this is what you get for not having the balls to stand up to authority like we do".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

emjayo posted:

The particular condition he has can range anywhere from "he'll be fine as long as he's not actively taking bumps and even then there's really only a chance he'll permanently mess himself up through bumping" all the way through to "if he so much as sneezes funny he'll become permanently quadriplegic". Without either he or his medical team confirming details (which they won't) we'll never know (so we'll never know).

My mother has it, and she's in the "probably ok as long as she doesn't drive for long periods of time and does her exercises" camp. Her hands and feet start getting numb if she has to sit down for long periods, and she has specific stretches she does every morning and night, as well as daily medication.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Ok, how about defining a pair of terms that I've seen a lot of:

1. Rapadoo, used as a verb. Google's got nothing.

2. Doug. Again, I see Doug mentioned, usually after a comma at the end of a sentence.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

AlmightyPants posted:

2. Doug. Again, I see Doug mentioned, usually after a comma at the end of a sentence.

1. Cena being Cena, most commonly winning against overwhelming odds. Taken from the sound-alike at the beginning of his theme music.

2. Triple H being Triple H, most commonly burying someone. Taken from the "On Your Knees, Dog" from one of his dozens of theme songs.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

AlmightyPants posted:

1. One of the opening lines from John Cena's theme, which he has had for ~9 years straight

2. One way people hear King of Kings

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

Rapadoo is a mishearing of the opening sting of John Cena's theme song, usually used to refer to an act of sudden revitalization, also known as hulking up, as seen in matches like Cena/Miz from I believe Over The Edge 2011.

"_____, Doug" is a reference to HHH's current theme King Of Kings, where Lemmy pronounces "On your knees, dog" in a manner close to "On your knees, Doug". As with all jokes and humorous observations, goons have run it into the core of the earth.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was watching the Shawn Michaels v Undertaker Hell in a Cell match and Shawn gets pissed at and takes out a big beefy "cameraman" in the cage which leads them to unlock it so they can do really stupid spots like piledrivers onto concrete. Was that anyone?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 24, 2014

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was watching the Shawn Michaels v Undertaker Hell in a Cell match and Shawn gets pissed at and takes out a big beefy "cameraman" in the cage which leads them to unlock it so they can do really stupid spots like piledrivers onto concrete. Was that anyone?

It really seems like they go out of their way not to get a good shot of his face on camera. I dunno, were there a lot of black guys on the roster in late '97?

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Is Necro Butcher aware of the black metal bassist of the same name? I checked Wikipedia to see if he was a fan or anything and was amused to see he lost a title to someone named Hellhammer early in his career, as that's the name of the drummer in the other Necrobutcher's band.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

magnum_valentino posted:

Is Necro Butcher aware of the black metal bassist of the same name? I checked Wikipedia to see if he was a fan or anything and was amused to see he lost a title to someone named Hellhammer early in his career, as that's the name of the drummer in the other Necrobutcher's band.
I love the idea that these two necro butchers have been living parallel lives this entire time, without either of them realizing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The idea of two Necro Butchers both shocks and appalls me. :psyduck:

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

The idea of two Necro Butchers both shocks and appalls me. :psyduck:

Metal Necro Butcher is an rear end in a top hat. What's Wrestle Necro Butcher like?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

A stoner eternally behind on child support. Other than that a nice guy.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Necro mentioned in a shoot interview that he knew his ring name, which was given to him by a promoter, was taken from some black metal thing, but that's pretty much it. Hellhammer was his tag team partner at one point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mizchat is happening in the spoilers thread which made me wonder, how successful or unsuccessful was his run as champ, ratings wise and buyrates wise, compared to other reigns in the last few years?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

IcePhoenix posted:

Mizchat is happening in the spoilers thread which made me wonder, how successful or unsuccessful was his run as champ, ratings wise and buyrates wise, compared to other reigns in the last few years?

It's tricky to look at the Miz's buyrates as champ, because he was the champion for: TLC, Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, Wrestlemania, Extreme Rules.

So, the Rumble and Mania automatically do well just because of what they are. Just looking up quickly, TLC 2010 was down over 2009, Elimination Chamber 2011 was down over 2010, Extreme Rules 2011 was up over 2010.

The Rock carried Wrestlemania so you can't really give Miz any credit for that at all.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/244981-wwe-2011-ppv-buy-rate-information-vs-2010-numbers

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010
I'm pretty sure Vince McMahons theme lyrics are "pretty politicians buying souls from us, their puppets."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Man, I was watching the Saturday Night's Main Event battle royal right before Wrestlemania 3 and it struck me how loving neutered the heels are nowadays. Here you have Hogan calling out Andre, Andre not backing down a step and telling him to come get it, then in pretty short order Andre kicks his rear end and dumps him. If it happened today Andre would have teased facing Hogan, then walked away while the crowd booed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DeathChicken posted:

Man, I was watching the Saturday Night's Main Event battle royal right before Wrestlemania 3 and it struck me how loving neutered the heels are nowadays. Here you have Hogan calling out Andre, Andre not backing down a step and telling him to come get it, then in pretty short order Andre kicks his rear end and dumps him. If it happened today Andre would have teased facing Hogan, then walked away while the crowd booed.

Andre also ripped off Hogans crucifix.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

DeathChicken posted:

Is that the battle royal where after Andre throws out Hogan, they show a replay and Vince says "Look at Andre! Just throwing out Hogan like so much garbage." It's one of my favorite Vince oversells.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

wrong thread

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

Necro mentioned in a shoot interview that he knew his ring name, which was given to him by a promoter, was taken from some black metal thing, but that's pretty much it. Hellhammer was his tag team partner at one point.

Were they loving managed by a Euronymous?!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Were they loving managed by a Euronymous?!

They couldn't find a guy who looked enough like Bruiser Brody.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

That match was great just for, "gently caress off, Koko!"

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

DeathChicken posted:

It didn't happen often, but when they let Andre go in a promo, he looked downright terrifying. There was one heel promo with a close-up of his face in which he just looked deranged.

I saw it fairly recently, but I just can't place where. I would've liked to have seen him when he was younger and healthier. Word is that he threw dropkicks, which is something I'd never imagine Andre doing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

magnum_valentino posted:

It really seems like they go out of their way not to get a good shot of his face on camera. I dunno, were there a lot of black guys on the roster in late '97?

I don't know the 97 roster too well. The guy was huge though. Pre-Sexual Chocolate Mark Henry? I don't know.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Ghostpilot posted:

It didn't happen often, but when they let Andre go in a promo, he looked downright terrifying. There was one heel promo with a close-up of his face in which he just looked deranged.

I saw it fairly recently, but I just can't place where. I would've liked to have seen him when he was younger and healthier. Word is that he threw dropkicks, which is something I'd never imagine Andre doing.

For awhile Andre was using a jumping tombstone piledriver as his finish. He was really agile until the mid-80s.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know the 97 roster too well. The guy was huge though. Pre-Sexual Chocolate Mark Henry? I don't know.

He was big for a cameraman, but not that big. Henry was already with the company at that stage.

Maybe he was just a big dude who worked for WWF. Like that security guard who wore the Kangols and stood with his legs apart at a 90 degree angle and got involved in the "did Rock's feet touch?" scandal after the Rumble in 2000.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

For awhile Andre was using a jumping tombstone piledriver as his finish. He was really agile until the mid-80s.

That... I'm not sure if that's terrifying or utterly awesome.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm not sure, but his one at Survivor Series 1989 after he beat Jake's team was fun. "I'm not afraid of you, Jake. Or you, Frito Santana."

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

First time seeing a picture of him when he was young. Andre wasn't a bad-lookin' guy.

I need to find some matches of him from those days.

jeffersonlives posted:

Liquid Communism posted:

That... I'm not sure if that's terrifying or utterly awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfdDtMH0xQs

DeathChicken posted:

I'm not sure, but his one at Survivor Series 1989 after he beat Jake's team was fun. "I'm not afraid of you, Jake. Or you, Frito Santana."

Yeah, that sounds about right. I'll see if I can find that one.

Edit: 1988, but otherwise spot on! Not the promo I was thinking of, but a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0py0alXPmw&t=2910s

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 24, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Confirmed as awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

fatherdog posted:

They couldn't find a guy who looked enough like Bruiser Brody.

Dang, son.