Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Louisgod posted:

My PC sucks, my 360 is dead and I don't want to have more than one console so I may have eventually bought a game like Watch_Dogs when it came down to $20 or so. As is, I mainly play games on the 3DS and every so often play on the WiiU in the evening but have tried to curb my habit of buying games the day of for $60 and just have them sit there.

Way to kill the Wii U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kewpuh posted:

Way to kill the Wii U

No joke, my wife sent me this text earlier:

"So if I tell you I love you first, will it make it easier to hear that (my daughter) crawled onto the table and pooped on your Wii U pad?"

literally killing and making GBS threads on the WiiU.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's worth mentioning here that Kotaku updated their article with a "whoops, our bad" and Watch_Dogs is not actually cancelled.

Louisgod posted:

"So if I tell you I love you first, will it make it easier to hear that (my daughter) crawled onto the table and pooped on your Wii U pad?"

They're just ahead of the curve. Pooping controllers are going to be all the rage next year.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ImpAtom posted:

It's worth mentioning here that Kotaku updated their article with a "whoops, our bad" and Watch_Dogs is not actually cancelled.

Ohhhhh it was Kotaku that "broke" the story? I loving hate them so much, I wish their site would burn in a loving fire pit.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Louisgod posted:

Ohhhhh it was Kotaku that "broke" the story? I loving hate them so much, I wish their site would burn in a loving fire pit.

That article especially was Kotaku saying, "We know it's one store in Italy saying that the game is cancelled buuuuuut 500 more words here"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Nothing you can do to them can be worse than the life they already live.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
I just picked up Assassin's Creed 4 for the Wii U @ $29.99 (I have an Xbone as well, but better graphics aren't worth $30 more for me).

So far it looks great with only minor frame rate issues.

Nintendo needs to hurry the hell up with Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, and a New Zelda game. Hoping that will bring a revival to the system. A multiplayer Metroid game similar to Halo would be great, but I don't know if that would get as popular.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zarfol posted:

Nintendo needs to hurry the hell up with Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, and a New Zelda game. Hoping that will bring a revival to the system. A multiplayer Metroid game similar to Halo would be great, but I don't know if that would get as popular.

I don't really think it would be. People who like Metroid like it for the exploration and atmosphere and whatnot more than the shooting aliens part, and anyone who doesn't like Metroid isn't really going to be drawn in by the franchise.

(And all that's assuming Ninendo could make a high-quality online FPS which... probably not.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Louisgod posted:

At least she didn't lose a finger while pooping on a Nintendo console. :v:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Zarfol posted:

I just picked up Assassin's Creed 4 for the Wii U @ $29.99 (I have an Xbone as well, but better graphics aren't worth $30 more for me).

How's the online?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
A Metroid game that's similar to Halo, are you sure you're not talking about the Prime trilogy? :v:

More seriously though I want another Metroid game. Other M didn't count. Anything, 3D, 2D, I'm not even picky nintendo :negative:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zarfol posted:

A multiplayer Metroid game similar to Halo would be great, but I don't know if that would get as popular.
Doing that could end up like Ninja Gaiden 3, alienating the existing fan base by going too far from what the series is known for and simultaneously failing to attract new players.

...but they could do a spinoff with this guy and his crew:

"Remember me?"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Some deals to look for (these are from :canada:):

Target
Super Paper Mario (Wii): $9.99
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii): $9.99
Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii): $9.99

Best Buy
Monster Hunter Ultimate 3 (Wii U) Used: $4.99

Future Shop
Darksiders 2 (Wii U): $19.97

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

japtor posted:

Doing that could end up like Ninja Gaiden 3, alienating the existing fan base by going too far from what the series is known for and simultaneously failing to attract new players.

...but they could do a spinoff with this guy and his crew:

"Remember me?"

Get from Capcom the rights for Remember Me 2.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zarfol posted:

Metroid Prime: Hunters was basically this with lovely online, and it sold about 750k if vgchartz (lol) is to be believed, and it was on the DS where there were like 130 games that sold over a million copies.

We're lucky that they make Metroid games at all, they all sell like poo poo. The closest we're gonna get to a new Metroid game is that minigame from Nintendoland :negative:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Zarfol posted:

The new Zelda game is probably a year+ away. Glad the Watch Dogs "news" was false, I own a decent PC and a PS4, but I still might pick it up on the Wii U if they actually put effort into the gamepad.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lemming posted:

Metroid Prime: Hunters was basically this with lovely online, and it sold about 750k if vgchartz (lol) is to be believed, and it was on the DS where there were like 130 games that sold over a million copies.

We're lucky that they make Metroid games at all, they all sell like poo poo. The closest we're gonna get to a new Metroid game is that minigame from Nintendoland :negative:

Moon was the game that basically did Metroid Prime: Hunters right and that sold like 0.05M copies. It's getting a sequel.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Moon was the game that basically did Metroid Prime: Hunters right and that sold like 0.05M copies. It's getting a sequel.

To be fair, Renegade Kid has never been particularly concerned with getting great sales, and they're only remaking Moon. If it doesn't do well enough to get a "Season 2", that's all we're getting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

How the gently caress is Moon getting a sequel? I am the only person on Earth who played that game.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Lemming posted:

they all sell like poo poo. The closest we're gonna get to a new Metroid game is that minigame from Nintendoland
Four games in the Metroid series have sold over a million copies. They tend to sell fairly in the US when they're not... Other M.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ImpAtom posted:

How the gently caress is Moon getting a sequel? I am the only person on Earth who played that game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/24/mutant-mudds-developer-renegade-kid-reveals-moon-chronicles-for/

"Season 1" is a remake of Moon, if it does well enough to justify a Season 2, it'll be entirely original content. Also it's me, I'm the only other person who has played Moon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Artix posted:

"Season 1" is a remake of Moon, if it does well enough to justify a Season 2, it'll be entirely original content. Also it's me, I'm the only other person who has played Moon.

I have a copy as well. I can't say that this is really interesting me, though, since Moon was an ambitious concept that didn't play well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Metroid Prime 2 was obviously trying to emulate halo somewhat, and had multiplayer to boot!

It isn't good multiplayer.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Metroid Prime 2 was obviously trying to emulate halo somewhat, and had multiplayer to boot!

It isn't good multiplayer.

The multiplayer was obviously something they had a bit of extra time to toss in.

It was fun to dick around with for a few rounds, for sure. But it was REALLY easy to break and some of the power-ups in themselves were really horribly broken. Like all of them.

Also there wasn't a whole lot of skill involved in knowing where the best things spawn, getting to those things first, and then locking on to people and mashing buttons.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just popping in to say that the Wii->WiiU transfer is the most amazing thing I've ever seen, holy poo poo

My parents thought it was brilliant.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Chaltab posted:

Four games in the Metroid series have sold over a million copies. They tend to sell fairly in the US when they're not... Other M.

Wait, good point. Was Other M's Samus being submissive their way of trying to get the game to sell in Japan?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah the game was designed to appeal more to a Japanese audience. Of course, it bombed everywhere, including Japan, so that failed.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I just don't see metroid prime 2 emulating halo argument but I will back any arguments that think it jived with Zelda's drat water temple. God I got so stinking lost in that game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Halo 4 drew a little from Metroid prime series to be honest.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

bushisms.txt posted:

Next gen is too expensive for EA, while also dealing with Nintendo's weird architecture and lovely devs tools.

"lovely dev tools" turned out to be a pre-launch issue that was fixed later, wasn't it?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Farecoal posted:

"lovely dev tools" turned out to be a pre-launch issue that was fixed later, wasn't it?

It got fixed, as in people worked through it until it was updated, like all early dev tools. But it was so bad, it stopped some devs from even thinking about trying, apparently.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Other M wasn't designed to appeal to any audience, it was designed to appeal to Yoshio Sakamoto. That's why it sucked, because he's a stubborn misogynistic prick.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah the game was designed to appeal more to a Japanese audience. Of course, it bombed everywhere, including Japan, so that failed.
Interminable cut-scenes, constant unnecessary flashbacks to things that just happened, nonsensical dialog, rendering the protagonist subservient to a CO to the detriment of her own health and wellbeing, horrendously unsubtle motherhood metaphors...

Sakamoto seems to have a low opinion of his country.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

greatn posted:

I think Halo 4 drew a little from Metroid prime series to be honest.

Assuming you're not joking that's because one of the main designers on Halo 4 used to work for Retro.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I'm pretty sure it bombed even worse in Japan than America. So double good job there Sakamoto! :thumbsup:

Yeah, according to VGChartz, (a site known for making poo poo up) it's lifetime sales in japan are 130,000 copies. Do remember it's been 3 years since then. NA lifetime sales are 820,000. Somehow this game has globally broken 1 million copies and that makes me sad.

:smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FPzero posted:

I'm pretty sure it bombed even worse in Japan than America. So double good job there Sakamoto! :thumbsup:

Yeah, according to VGChartz, (a site known for making poo poo up) it's lifetime sales in japan are 130,000 copies. Do remember it's been 3 years since then. NA lifetime sales are 820,000. Somehow this game has globally broken 1 million copies and that makes me sad.

:smith:

Every person who was unfortunate enough to preorder Other M should be sad. :smith:

A while back I went into a game store where the owner went on an extended rant about how Other M was awesome and people who didn't like it were just whiners. That's the closest any opinion about a video game has ever come to being offensive to me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You didn't go back to that game store, did you?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I had played through Other M before it was released and seeing people here defending it from reviews was real funny and sad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

You didn't go back to that game store, did you?

Hell loving no.

It doesn't hurt that they're a terrible shop, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I usually couldn't care less about packaging but it bugs me that the JP version of Other M got the cool Samus/Power Suit slipcase thing but the rest of the world got a really lame standard package with boring, Adam-inclusive box art.

• Locked thread