Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

harperdc posted:

Manual 2000 Legacy, and the shifter is now getting a lot of lateral play. As in, put it into fifth and the shifter creeps all the way toward where 3rd gear is supposed to be.

That's bushings, isn't it? And are they particularly difficult or tricky on that gen of Legacy?

Yeah, that is definitely the u-joint bushings. Here is a diagram of the shifter:

The "shifter bushings" you always see advertised are the parts that replace parts D and E. They are on either end of the rod that attaches between the transmission and chassis and holds the base of the shifter in place. Since this goes between the drivetrain that moves around and makes noise there needs to be a bushing there to absorb nvh and allow drivetrain movement. Putting in stiffer parts like the kartboy front bushing reduces the amount of bushing deflection you get while selecting a gear. So forward and back movement gets a much more direct feeling because the stock squishy bushing isn't moving back while you try to move the shifter forward. With these bushings you actually get some feedback out of the shifter and can feel the syncronizers and dogs engage. Some people call this "notchy" like that is a bad thing. IMO it is how the shifter should feel.

For side to side shifter motion, the u-joint linkage comes into play (parts A on the diagram). The bushings wear out and suddenly the stick has to move a long way to either side before anything in the transmission goes anywhere. Here is the linkage:

There are a couple of different variants of this linkage. Early ones have an external centering spring, some are riveted together, and some use different sized bushings. For later cars where things bolt together you can just buy the bushings for like $20. For older cars with a riveted linkage but without an external return spring you can buy the updated linkage, or drill out the rivet, replace the bushings, and put it back together with a bolt. For older cars with an external spring you have to drill it apart and replace the bushings yourself. I picked up some 3/8" nylon bushings from mcmaster carr plus a stock linkage bolt. Had to ream the bushings out slightly to 10mm but it works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Pros

06 best year (pistons not made out of cheese like 07+)
Tasteful mods
SPT all day
You seem not retarded

Cons
Millage

I'd get a compression and leakdown test and go from there.

I'd much rather have a higher miles stage 2 pre 08 car than a lower mile stage 2 post 08 car

Much obliged. How hard are the plugs to get to on that engine?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

saint gerald posted:

Much obliged. How hard are the plugs to get to on that engine?

2 hour job, have to remove some stuff that gets in the way but it's nothing too major.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

This is exactly the part that was changed. It literally had rusted to almost nothing. The guys at the shop were surprised how stiff my shifter felt still.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

2 hour job, have to remove some stuff that gets in the way but it's nothing too major.

Probably not something I'd want to do on the seller's driveway, then. Maybe there's a local mechanic who would let me watch him do it.

What would it take to get it running on E85? I know turbo engines love it, and it's (somewhat) available in my area. Is it as easy as injectors and a remap, or does it need more than that?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Pretty much that. 1000cc injector dynamics injcetors plus a fuel pump that can handle them.

The problem is that e85 is not always exactly 85% ethanol and it collects water fast. If you are always driving your car the water part isn't a problem, it's the exact ethanol content in your tank that can cause issues. OEMs get around this with a flex fuel sensor and continuously adjust the map so you can have 100% ethanol, 100% gas, or anywhere in between and be fine. I am under the impression that you can add a flex fuel sensor and use it to adjust fuel trims but I'm not sure what else it can do with the stock ecu. Ideally you could adjust fuel, timing, and boost based on the amount of ethanol in the fuel. You would have to talk to a tuner to find out if that is possible and if so what it takes. It would be a much safer solution than just having a map for 91 and a map for e85 on the accessport.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Well, that was fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCVA7_6uzZ0

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Welp, looks like I need that.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
WHERE'S THE loving WAGON?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

There's the Levorg except that it's currently only for Japan and only has a CVT as far as I can tell. :negative:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Yeah, that thing doesn't count. :colbert:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What road was that? PCH?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Yeah, that thing doesn't count. :colbert:

Well, I like it. :shobon: That's in spite of the uncertainty of if it will make it to North America with a manual. Even though I bought a 2013 Impreza Wagon as my first car last May, I'm still pining for it though I'm more interested in the 1.6L Turbo. Call me lame if you must but the 1.6L Turbo has slightly less power but more torque than the naturally aspirated FB25, supposedly uses regular gas, and supposedly can get the equivalent of 41 MPG highway. What's wrong with having something fun and economical?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

What road was that? PCH?

It looked like the back stretch of Angeles crest, on the bear side.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
There will be a WRX wagon / hatch. I understand staggering things, and I think the sedan is still going to sell like crazy, but I can't imagine they'd let the GTI & ST eat all the performance hatch money. The only non-FWD performance hatch or wagon under $50k is going to be the Golf R.

They'll come out with a wagon WRX in 2017, then the STI a few years later.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
So, i just bought a 99 outback sport wagon last week. Its AMAZING. Or at least, Im pretty happy with it, its super nice and the guy was almost giving it away. I got lucky getting to it first, he had 10 more emails before me, but I lived just down the street :D
The guy diddnt know any history. It was given to his wife last summer, and they decided they diddnt need it after all. But its really clean, with lots of new looking parts under the hood. No oil leaks, either. And new tires! 5 speed! 175k miles, but it runs and drives -great-. California car, too, not a speck of rust anywhere.

Anyway, Ive got a few questions...
The clutch is really high up on the pedal. It doesnt really feel like its slipping, but.. its really really high. Is this adjustable, or should i start thinking replacement?
Id like to try it myself, too. Ive done brakes and struts and did a PCV service on a volvo 850.. would i be over my head if i tried this?

CV joints. The PO told me the smog guy said it had bad ones. I do get some weird lurching on really tight parking turns.. seemingly not all the time, though. Im fine with just doing both of them, Im mostly just wondering if there were any brands to avoid? Any suggestions on dealing with CVs?

Under heavy breaking, theres a weird thumping coming from the back somewhere. Never notice anything during normal breaking, just if I really mash on it. Which is a little too often so far, im still used to driving a mini cooper jcw :D

Id like to get a better feel from the shifter. Its not bad, just very non sporty. Are there shifter kits for this guy that are worthwhile?

Are there any other subaru high mileage things i should be on the lookout for?

Thanks!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jamal posted:

Yeah, that is definitely the u-joint bushings. Here is a diagram of the shifter:

The "shifter bushings" you always see advertised are the parts that replace parts D and E. They are on either end of the rod that attaches between the transmission and chassis and holds the base of the shifter in place. Since this goes between the drivetrain that moves around and makes noise there needs to be a bushing there to absorb nvh and allow drivetrain movement. Putting in stiffer parts like the kartboy front bushing reduces the amount of bushing deflection you get while selecting a gear. So forward and back movement gets a much more direct feeling because the stock squishy bushing isn't moving back while you try to move the shifter forward. With these bushings you actually get some feedback out of the shifter and can feel the syncronizers and dogs engage. Some people call this "notchy" like that is a bad thing. IMO it is how the shifter should feel.

For side to side shifter motion, the u-joint linkage comes into play (parts A on the diagram). The bushings wear out and suddenly the stick has to move a long way to either side before anything in the transmission goes anywhere. Here is the linkage:

There are a couple of different variants of this linkage. Early ones have an external centering spring, some are riveted together, and some use different sized bushings. For later cars where things bolt together you can just buy the bushings for like $20. For older cars with a riveted linkage but without an external return spring you can buy the updated linkage, or drill out the rivet, replace the bushings, and put it back together with a bolt. For older cars with an external spring you have to drill it apart and replace the bushings yourself. I picked up some 3/8" nylon bushings from mcmaster carr plus a stock linkage bolt. Had to ream the bushings out slightly to 10mm but it works pretty well.

Thank you! I've got the Legacy B4 in Japan and lack tools, skills, etc to do it myself, but my mechanic is a cool dude and so we'll take a look on Saturday at his shop. The previous owner (also a goon) noticed how much play it had when we went on a road trip recently. From front to back still feels solid, but yeah, laterally it started having a lot of play recently. 13-year-old car, these things happen. I'll bring that image along for sure.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

If you watch to the end they actually get air with both cars. When the WRX lands, the driver looks very close to losing it. Impressive nonetheless. I also noticed that they tended to focus on the shots of the front of the WRX. That thing is just really ho hum when viewed from the rear.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

jamal posted:

Pretty much that. 1000cc injector dynamics injcetors plus a fuel pump that can handle them.

The problem is that e85 is not always exactly 85% ethanol and it collects water fast. If you are always driving your car the water part isn't a problem, it's the exact ethanol content in your tank that can cause issues. OEMs get around this with a flex fuel sensor and continuously adjust the map so you can have 100% ethanol, 100% gas, or anywhere in between and be fine. I am under the impression that you can add a flex fuel sensor and use it to adjust fuel trims but I'm not sure what else it can do with the stock ecu. Ideally you could adjust fuel, timing, and boost based on the amount of ethanol in the fuel. You would have to talk to a tuner to find out if that is possible and if so what it takes. It would be a much safer solution than just having a map for 91 and a map for e85 on the accessport.

On a semi-related note, is the stock ECU map designed for 91, or does it adjust for other octanes? I almost never put anything less than 93 in my '06 OBXT (mostly because every place near me does 87-89-93) and when I have had to use 91 I didn't really notice a difference.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

hedgegnome posted:

So, i just bought a 99 outback sport wagon last week. Its AMAZING. Or at least, Im pretty happy with it, its super nice and the guy was almost giving it away. I got lucky getting to it first, he had 10 more emails before me, but I lived just down the street :D
The guy diddnt know any history. It was given to his wife last summer, and they decided they diddnt need it after all. But its really clean, with lots of new looking parts under the hood. No oil leaks, either. And new tires! 5 speed! 175k miles, but it runs and drives -great-. California car, too, not a speck of rust anywhere.
Bad rear end. I miss my 97 every day.

quote:

The clutch is really high up on the pedal. It doesnt really feel like its slipping, but.. its really really high. Is this adjustable, or should i start thinking replacement?
Id like to try it myself, too. Ive done brakes and struts and did a PCV service on a volvo 850.. would i be over my head if i tried this?
I don't remember if the 99 is cable clutch or hydraulic clutch. My 97 was cable clutch. If it's cable you can adjust the preload on the cable which will affect where it engages - mine engaged near the middle where I like it when I first got it and then up top after I did a transmission replacement and had to fabricate a replacement clutch bracket. Do a road test afterward to make sure you haven't left the clutch permanently engaged or permanently disengaged.

The hydraulic clutches I think have a small adjustment screw behind the clutch pedal that adjusts the preload there. A factory service manual should have more.

quote:

CV joints. The PO told me the smog guy said it had bad ones. I do get some weird lurching on really tight parking turns.. seemingly not all the time, though. Im fine with just doing both of them, Im mostly just wondering if there were any brands to avoid? Any suggestions on dealing with CVs?
I bought a Cardone Select axle because it's brand new, not reman/rebuilt. Automatics have to worry more about remanufactured axles than manual transmission cars but the Cardone package is pretty nice. I ordered off RockAuto and got a rollpin punch from a local hardware store, but Company23 just came out with an axle pin tool which looks better than what I used.

Get the right axle pin tool before you start and make sure you line everything up right. A PO of my car lined it up one tooth off so the pin only went halfway in, then cut the part of the pin that stuck out off and hammered it into the collar to make it stay in place. That sucked and I wish I could strangle that person. Make sure you replace the axle nut too, and torque it appropriately - they are intended to be one time use though I know I've reused them many more times than that.

quote:

Under heavy breaking, theres a weird thumping coming from the back somewhere. Never notice anything during normal breaking, just if I really mash on it. Which is a little too often so far, im still used to driving a mini cooper jcw :D
Could be rear struts, could be rear swaybar links. Does it make an awful thumping sound going over 'washboard' style bumps?

quote:

Id like to get a better feel from the shifter. Its not bad, just very non sporty. Are there shifter kits for this guy that are worthwhile?
Scroll up a bit and read jamal's last post - you are an external return spring car.

quote:

Are there any other subaru high mileage things i should be on the lookout for?
If you don't know if the timing belt has been done, you should do a full timing belt + waterpump service. Good luck with your new car.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 23, 2014

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I also got the cardone select from rock auto. They are shiny and fit, but I haven't driven anywhere.
The axels will only go on one way. if it looks like they are half lined up, its because they are and you need to turn it 180 degrees.

I used a nail and an allen key to do the roll pins. That sucked, I should have gotten something else to do it.

First one took 4 hours, the second one an hour.

Key is to take the strut, tierod and the sway bar link off.
Then everything will push easily.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Roll pin punch to get them out. It has a little point sticking out to stay centered on the pin.

1/4 extension turned backward to get them in.

I just unbolt the ball joint and endlink, but that can open up a whole can of worms sometimes. If you undo the castle nut and hit the arm on the side right next to it with a hammer a few times it will usually come loose. Then you can pry the arm down, push the upright and strut out far enough to remove the axle, and not have to worry about getting an alignment.

I have napa axles up front. Something like $80 each, no complaints.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 23, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

RE: axles

I have a punch I use that's the perfect size to one shot the pins out, but I want a company 23 tool for going back in.

I have always done my axles by marking the top strut bolt as it sets camber, removing both strut bolts, pull the knuckle outward and remove the inner then outer axle ends.

Napa axles vibrated on my auto but are fine on 5mts. I run cardone selects off rock auto for both my RS and legacy without issue.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My Oil Dip Stick decided that it doesn't like staying in place, and it partially popped out of it's normal spot. It shot a quart and a half of oil all over my engine.

I replaced it with another used dispstick I have, and it did the same thing. I put some superglue on the yellow plastic handle and let it dry to get home. The theory being that it makes a perfect cirle that's a little wider. Now it doesn't pop out anymore, but is this a sign of too much oil pressure or some other issue? It seems to me that high pressure in the crankcase isn't a good thing.

daslog fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 23, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

daslog posted:

My Oil Dip Stick decided that it doesn't like staying in place, and it partially popped out of it's normal spot. It shot a quart and a half of oil all over my engine.

I replaced it with another used dispstick I have, and it did the same thing. I put some superglue on the yellow plastic handle and let it dry to get home. The theory being that it makes a perfect cirle that's a little wider. Now it doesn't pop out anymore, but is this a sign of too much oil pressure or some other issue? It seems to me that high pressure in the crankcase isn't a good thing.

Pop the oil filler and put your hand over it at idle. If you feel an aggressive thrusting instead of vacuum you should look at your PCV for starters.

My 03 had so much crankcase pressure that unscrewing the oil filler cap at idle would make it launch into the air on the next exhaust pulse. It burned a poo poo ton of oil too.

After replacing the PCV it has mild vacuum at idle now.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Some of that evil red stuff was found on the chassis today, and I don't mean Subaru's paint, unfortunately.

Time to do the various rituals and hope for a speedy recovery. Doesn't look too terrible though.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
DJCommie: Sent you an email, hope you got it!

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Anyone have a spare EJ257 short block laying around? My Sti is getting up there in mileage.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

jamal posted:

Hrm, that starts to sound like more trouble than it's worth.

Anything else to be aware of with the EJ255 (that's right, isn't it?) when it gets up there in milage? Or tranny/diff issues? Obviously clutch, but from a quick Google that doesn't sound like a horrible job.

si
Apr 26, 2004

saint gerald posted:

Hrm, that starts to sound like more trouble than it's worth.

Anything else to be aware of with the EJ255 (that's right, isn't it?) when it gets up there in milage? Or tranny/diff issues? Obviously clutch, but from a quick Google that doesn't sound like a horrible job.

The timing belt is the big one to worry about with mileage on the EJ255. As long as oil changes have been done religiously, and the tune is good, the rest should be fine. Outside of the motor, the turbo is something to watch out for. The TD04 is not known for its longevity. Seller already mentioned that he notices no smoke and oil consumption though, so that's a good sign if it's true.

The trans is a trickier one, if not abused, there really aren't many issues with it. The only one I can think of is that the TOB wears on the snout if it is left in bad shape for any period of time, but there's a fairly easy fix for this (google TSK3). The stock diffs aren't much of anything in the first place, so they don't tend to wear out because they don't do much. STI DCCD being an exception to this since it actually does things.

It would not hurt to take it to a reputable Subaru service center and have them do a compression check, pull the downpipe off the turbo and have a look at the condition, pull the timing belt covers and have a look there. When I bought my spec.B, I did so from Chicago with the seller in NJ. I arranged it with a shop to have him drop it off and I'd pay for the inspection (cost me $50 to have all of the above done along with an oil change, since I was about to drive it 1300 miles or so back home) as long as they sent both of us the report directly. Seller had no problem with this, and it worked out very well for both of us.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

si posted:

It would not hurt to take it to a reputable Subaru service center and have them do a compression check, pull the downpipe off the turbo and have a look at the condition, pull the timing belt covers and have a look there. When I bought my spec.B, I did so from Chicago with the seller in NJ. I arranged it with a shop to have him drop it off and I'd pay for the inspection (cost me $50 to have all of the above done along with an oil change, since I was about to drive it 1300 miles or so back home) as long as they sent both of us the report directly. Seller had no problem with this, and it worked out very well for both of us.

This sounds like it'd be the way to go, if the seller's agreeable. Thanks.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Edit: oh hey they're adjustable, nm

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What bulb do I need for the illumination of my lighter socket on my 2006? I was being hamfisted back there and killed it.

Edit: Attack on Titan Forester advert. :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQkgmHEA5_E

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 24, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

What bulb do I need for the illumination of my lighter socket on my 2006? I was being hamfisted back there and killed it.

Edit: Attack on Titan Forester advert. :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQkgmHEA5_E

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/2006-subaru-wrx--ash+tray/59-1139--481942/

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

brosef deluxe posted:

DJCommie: Sent you an email, hope you got it!

Replying!

hedgegnome posted:

Thanks!!

My 99 OBS was just totalled, and I had replaced my axles not too long ago. Interested?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone want a used (95xxx km) EJ20 water pump? Replacing mine with my timing belt this coming week. It's in perfect shape.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So one of my headlights aims really high, and the other is fine. Guess which one has an an adjustment screw behind the air intake and power steering and which one has it next to the battery out in the open. :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

So one of my headlights aims really high, and the other is fine. Guess which one has an an adjustment screw behind the air intake and power steering and which one has it next to the battery out in the open. :argh:

Your drivers side headlight is supposed to aim lower.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Powershift posted:

Your drivers side headlight is supposed to aim lower.

My drivers side headlight aims to the sky and blinds everyone in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Does anyone know the nut size for the bottom trans stud?

Either I forgot to replace it or it backed out, despite triple checking torque specs after my clutch swap a month ago.