Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

doctorfrog posted:

I'm not asking about Arma III, just II.

If you gotta know why, it's because these guys are very casual and will not pony up the cash for a newer game, that's not significantly improved (in their view) from II. It was very difficult to get them to pay for this game in the first place. And personally, I'm not interested in plowing more cash into a franchise I'm not that enthusiastic about.

Does Arma III have exactly the feature that I'm asking for or something?

I was really curious, I didnt play much of Arma 3 but as far I can tell it is a HUGE improvement over Arma 2. It looks better and even runs better on my computer. For a real recommendation you could try to give defiance a shot, there is even a demo now. In my opinion is you guys are going to go nuts over Tom Clancy the Division.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWJD8DMasCU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
:wtc:

That looks incredible. It seems like a 10 year jump over the next-gen FPS launch titles.

edit- and that's not even falling for the marketing hype and buzzwords

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 11, 2014

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm looking for something to play on my laptop. It's got dedicated graphics (HD6470M) and a quad-core processor so it's capable of light gaming, but I have a proper PC for more cinematic stuff so something more functional than pretty would be best.

I've played Victoria 2 and Football Manager on it lately but I'm feeling a bit bored of both.

I tend to favour stuff you can't really 'beat' for laptop play, hence the Victoria 2/FM play. I'm just after something that'll last a fair while, doesn't leave me fully 'engaged' like an FPS and can be paused/put down at any time. I don't mind a learning curve as long as the game justifies it, I thought Victoria 2 was worth it and wasn't too hard to get into, even if I never got complete understanding of some of the smaller stuff.

I'm looking at:
Crusader Kings 2
FTL
Democracy 3
Game Dev Tycoon
Europa Universalis 4

Any recommendations/condemnations on those or other suggestions would be great, thanks.

e: I've played and enjoyed Anno 2070, also.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 12, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Walton Simons posted:

I tend to favour stuff you can't really 'beat' for laptop play, hence the Victoria 2/FM play. I'm just after something that'll last a fair while, doesn't leave me fully 'engaged' like an FPS and can be paused/put down at any time. I don't mind a learning curve as long as the game justifies it, I thought Victoria 2 was worth it and wasn't too hard to get into, even if I never got complete understanding of some of the smaller stuff.

Have you heard of Dominions 4? It is a combat-focused turnbased strategy that you can spend just a few minutes at a time inputting your orders each day, for each multiplayer match you've entered. It has a learning curve a bit bigger than anything Paradox puts out, but there is a significant goon (and newbie) presence that is always happy to help, even when you're at war with them. Currently on sale for $17.50 at GamersGate, and unlikely to see any better sales for a long time.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Walton Simons posted:

I'm looking for something to play on my laptop. It's got dedicated graphics (HD6470M) and a quad-core processor so it's capable of light gaming, but I have a proper PC for more cinematic stuff so something more functional than pretty would be best.

I've played Victoria 2 and Football Manager on it lately but I'm feeling a bit bored of both.

I'm looking at:
Crusader Kings 2
FTL
Democracy 3
Game Dev Tycoon
Europa Universalis 4

Any recommendations/condemnations on those or other suggestions would be great, thanks.

I've played all of those games. A quick review:

CK2: Most accessible Paradox game. Similar mapgame style as the others, but with a character, not a nation, focus. Plotting, stabbing, and silly events make it the most flavorful and interesting Paradox game, in my opinion. But, you have to enjoy the ridiculous rises and falls in fortune of your family to like CK2. If you're the type of person who has to powergame the perfect start in Victoria, you may be frustrated by the more personal, more random scope of CK2.

FTL: Spaceship roguelike, good replayability. You're running from the empire's army in your solo ship, getting into scraps and random encounters on the way. Maybe you find some more parts to upgrade your ship's weapons, shields, engines, etc. Maybe you pick up a new crewmember. Or maybe you had to run from the last battle because half your ship is on fire or venting air into space, your engineer is trapped in the engine room, and your best pilot got killed by boarders.

Democracy 3: Updated sequel to Democracy 2 (duh). Deceptively simple design hides the complex simulation underneath. The gameplay is manipulating variables arranged on the screen with links between them. Your population is split up into various demographics that have certain variables as their priority. You need to focus on which problems to solve to keep your chosen electorate happy. The variables are all extremely interconnected in complex and sometimes subtle ways. For example, the unemployment rate increases poverty, which decreases health and GDP while increasing crime. Decreased health lowers productivity, further lowering GDP. High crime pisses off almost every voter. So maybe the solution is passing unemployment insurance to counter the unemployment-poverty connection? Or maybe you should focus on long-term education to increase the competitiveness of your workforce? Or maybe you should increase military funding so that more people get state jobs now? All of those options are pretty costly; maybe you should just give your police more free reign to lower crime? You've got to do something before your economy goes into a spiral and your poll numbers tank...

Game Dev Tycoon: I got this after I bought Game Dev Story on my phone, but I'm sad to say that Game Dev Story is the better of the two games. You manage a team of programmers, writers, and artists to make games, balancing your budget and picking what game elements/genres will make a best-selling combination. But Game Dev Tycoon has this weird scoring system for games that left me disappointed. Your games are rated based on how your previous games did in the past instead of by some objective measure. So you have to carefully manage your success, as weird as that sounds. Do too well on one game, and your next few games' ratings will suffer for no obvious reason. This is bullshit and completely turned me off of the game.

EU4: I played hours and hours of EU3 and loved it. I started with EU3 Complete before the Heir to the Throne and the Divine Wind expansions. Both of those two expansions really matured EU3 as a game and made it so much better to play. EU4 takes the final version of EU3 and further refines it. It is unquestionably one of the best empire-building games ever. More accessible than Victoria 2, less accessible than CK2.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Walton Simons posted:

I'm looking at:
Crusader Kings 2
FTL
Democracy 3
Game Dev Tycoon
Europa Universalis 4

Get Eador: Genesis for 5 bucks. The thread has all the info, but it's basically a HOMM style game that's turn-based, long, and challenging.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Any good games for a mid-range laptop that has controller support? I've just moved and don't have a desk yet, so my laptop is hooked up to the TV.

I've played Rogue Legacy, Bastion, Cave Story, Super Meat Boy, Trine and Rayman and the Telltale adventure games so far.

Besson fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 13, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
If you liked Rogue Legacy then you'd probably enjoy Risk of Rain quite a bit. Personally I like it way more than Rogue Legacy, which I played a lot and enjoyed.

Guacamelee too. People were freaking out about it for most of the Winter Sale thread.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Awesome replies, thank you! I've spotted a physical copy of CK2 cheaper than 50% off on Steam (I have a coupon) so I'm going to order that and get FTL off Steam to play tonight.

I hadn't heard of either of the other two suggested and they both look good, with Football Manager put to bed I hope to get round to most/all of them except Game Dev Tycoon.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
In a similar vein I'm looking for some maybe government sim game? Something like Hidden Agenda in a atypical setting like Africa. I like Tropico but it doesn't scratch that decision making itch, being too based around city building. Democracy 3, I haven't gotten but it looks alright although I'd like to try something a little less generic if you get my drift. I also like CK2 but kind of getting bored of that era in Europe and would like something more modern.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Uncle Jam posted:

In a similar vein I'm looking for some maybe government sim game? Something like Hidden Agenda in a atypical setting like Africa. I like Tropico but it doesn't scratch that decision making itch, being too based around city building. Democracy 3, I haven't gotten but it looks alright although I'd like to try something a little less generic if you get my drift. I also like CK2 but kind of getting bored of that era in Europe and would like something more modern.

A little bit away from what you're asking for, but have you looked at King of Dragon Pass? It's essentially a city/tribe management sim as Choose-Your-Own-Adventure, with magic Vikings and fantastic art and writing.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Uncle Jam posted:

ya I want something similar with political stuff but with multiplayer features... so I can wreck people... but also a permanent world with always on gameplay so I can log in and handle poo poo then log...
gently caress.. this is stronghold kingdoms or eve online. I already play these and I'm tired of them.

Anything else?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Jam posted:

Have you heard of Fate of the World? It's essentially about using limited resources to try to solve global warming and other big world issues. You play as more of a global coalition rather than an individual government, but part of that involves keeping member nations from pulling out so there's a balancing act of actually solving the problem while at the same time keeping your funding stable.

(I should mention that I've never actually played Fate of the World, but I remember reading good things about it when it came out and it's the first thing I thought of when reading your post)

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 19, 2014

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Have you heard of Fate of the World? It's essentially about using limited resources to try to solve global warming and other big world issues. You play as more of a global coalition rather than an individual government, but part of that involves keeping member nations from pulling out so there's a balancing act of actually solving the problem while at the same time keeping your funding stable.

(I should mention that I've never actually played Fate of the World, but I remember reading good things about it when it came out and it's the first thing I thought of when reading your post)

I've played it a fair amount and I would recommend it. As a super-niche product, of course. If it sounds like the kind of weird thing you're interested in I'd say it executes on the concept pretty well. It's got some bugs and an occasionally cumbersome UI, but nothing too serious. It's fairly challenging, and complex enough to offer some replay value.

e: Oh, and make sure to get the Tipping Point edition. It includes the DLC and some UI improvements. I'd say it's worth the extra $9.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 20, 2014

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
I've been itching for a Tactical or Strategic Role Playing Game that has a lot of loot in it with Rogue-Like elements or even a Management Simulation game. I would like a good story, but that isn't a big necessity. But i do want the feeling of progressing and getting stronger throughout the realms of the game. Micromanaging would be nice like found in X-Com, Fire Emblem, and State of Decay.

I'm looking for games similar to:

Rogue Legacy
FTL
Spacebase DF-9
Dark Souls
Risk of Rain
State of Decay
DayZ
Minecraft
Fire Emblem Awakening
X-Com: Enemy Unknown
Borderlands 2
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Cook, Serve, Delicious
Game Dev Story

I sort of want to pick up Final Fantasy Tactics for the iPad and the Banner Saga for PC but I think its a little pricy. I tried the Total War series, but that was way too much for me. Sorry, about the specifics in advance, I've been craving for some sort of game that has the elements stated above, but cannot seem to find it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
With all the indie space games that came out over the last couple years, was anything made that was sort of like the old Escape Velocity/Nova games? That is, a space game with the usual trading/ship-building/combat but with a massive emphasis on narrative, world-building and branching stories?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for an Action (RPG) that can be played with a controller. Something like Diablo 3 that I can chill out on my easy chair and blow up stuff with. Diablo 3 itself would fit the bill but I don't have a console and the PC version doesn't support controllers, and I put RPG in parentheses because it doesn't have to be that specific gender - something like Crusader No Remorse but with a controller or even a roguelike would do.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I've been itching for a Tactical or Strategic Role Playing Game that has a lot of loot in it with Rogue-Like elements or even a Management Simulation game. I would like a good story, but that isn't a big necessity. But i do want the feeling of progressing and getting stronger throughout the realms of the game. Micromanaging would be nice like found in X-Com, Fire Emblem, and State of Decay.

I sort of want to pick up Final Fantasy Tactics for the iPad and the Banner Saga for PC but I think its a little pricy. I tried the Total War series, but that was way too much for me. Sorry, about the specifics in advance, I've been craving for some sort of game that has the elements stated above, but cannot seem to find it.

Have you played the recent King's Bounty games?

It's an SRPG series with not much story but definitely has a lot of the features similar to the games you've listed:
-Map is static but a lot of the stuff on it is randomized
-Units die permanently (though the way it works is, you'd have like a stack of 100 archers and they take X damage and, say, 30 of them die)
-Enemy difficulty has a wide range so you've got to pick battles, go around enemies, come back later, and be careful not to lose big chunks of your army
-Crack-like addictive progression with a map basically covered in tons of poo poo that constantly makes you more powerful

There are really TONS of ways to get stronger in the game such as:
-Building an army by collecting lots and lots of different units of varying strengths, with skills, synergies, special effects
-Collecting banners that improve leadership to allow you to have more troops
-Finding scrolls to learn spells (there's like 60+) or consume for single casts
-Magic crystals that upgrade spells
-Non-combat spells that provide single battle buffs and other effects
-Summonable creatures that level up and learn and upgrade (randomized, of course!) skills
-Lots of loot for your character to equip that provides stat bonuses to your army
-Three different types of runes that can be used to unlock talents in skill trees with a wide range of effects
-Gold to buy the above poo poo from randomized shops all over the map

There have been a few of them in the past several years; Crossworlds has the most poo poo but you may want to start with The Legend.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm looking for an Action (RPG) that can be played with a controller. Something like Diablo 3 that I can chill out on my easy chair and blow up stuff with. Diablo 3 itself would fit the bill but I don't have a console and the PC version doesn't support controllers, and I put RPG in parentheses because it doesn't have to be that specific gender - something like Crusader No Remorse but with a controller or even a roguelike would do.

Sigma Team's Alien Shooter and Zombie Shooter games fit the bill pretty nicely. They're top down shooters with rpg elements and they have gamepad support. Lots of running around blowing up hordes of enemies with shotguns, machine guns, rocket launchers and laser cannons. The latest one (Zombie Shooter 2) is :tenbux: on Steam and you can get a package deal of all prior games in the series for $15.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I'm looking for games similar to:

Rogue Legacy
FTL
Spacebase DF-9
Dark Souls
Risk of Rain
State of Decay
DayZ
Minecraft
Fire Emblem Awakening
X-Com: Enemy Unknown
Borderlands 2
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Cook, Serve, Delicious
Game Dev Story

Maybe the Stalker series? It can be made as hard (roguelike) as you want it and definitely has loot in the form of guns, armor, food, ammo, healing items, and mysterious radioactive artifacts. RPG elements aren't exactly present, but over the course of the game you'll go from a loser with a pistol to a badass in full armor with a full auto assault rifle and a belt full of artifacts. So there are no strict skills per se, but there's definitely a sense of progression. The newest one, Stalker: Call of Pripyat, features 3 very large areas to explore, upgradable weapons and armor, and is stable and easily run without any modding required. If you like CoP, then get the original, Shadow of Chernobyl. That one requires some modding to fix the bugs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alabaster White posted:

Anyone know some games where you have to build a base and hole up/defend? I love the first couples nights of a Minecraft game, and the third mission from Starcraft, but there don't seem to be many survival games where you actually get to build your own base/house.

If you have an iDevice, check out Block Fortress.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Right now I'm after a game where I can play as a villain managing my evil empire, something in the same vein as Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius, or even something more action oriented like Overlord.
I know there have been a few Dungeon Keeper-like game released in the past couple of years, but I don't know if any of them are worth playing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Right now I'm after a game where I can play as a villain managing my evil empire, something in the same vein as Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius, or even something more action oriented like Overlord.
I know there have been a few Dungeon Keeper-like game released in the past couple of years, but I don't know if any of them are worth playing.

If you're iOS inclined, Castle Doombad just came out and is pretty great. Think Dungeon Keeper as Tower Defense game, with Adult Swim's sense of humor.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, I'm looking for a decent turn-based rpg that includes exploration and character building. Some examples of what I'm looking for are Fallout, Legend of Grimrock, TOME and the Avernum series.

I'm not in the mood for a true roguelike at the moment, just something with a detailed levelling system and an engaging world.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, I'm looking for a decent turn-based rpg that includes exploration and character building. Some examples of what I'm looking for are Fallout, Legend of Grimrock, TOME and the Avernum series.

I'm not in the mood for a true roguelike at the moment, just something with a detailed levelling system and an engaging world.

Arcanum is turn based or real time with pause, made by Troika, and a classic RPG with the only not-terrible steampunk setting I've ever seen.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
I'm trying to recall this click adventure type game. I checked it out while still in development; you are a husband (and father?) & in the opening there is some kind of accident, maybe your wife dies. You're desperate to fix the past & use this travel-back-in-time mechanic to go about that.

I remember some preview pictures/video of the man inside a house where the view is from a staircase looking out into the living room (this could be off a bit).

I don't think the game is dev'd by any of the big names or it may have been a foreign developer.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really like the journal mechanic of the Uncharted series: are there any other games that do this very well? IE: giving you an in-game document/book/diary/whatever full of clues that you use throughout the whole game, but it's up to you as the player to leaf through the material to find answers at the points they're needed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hedrigall posted:

I really like the journal mechanic of the Uncharted series: are there any other games that do this very well? IE: giving you an in-game document/book/diary/whatever full of clues that you use throughout the whole game, but it's up to you as the player to leaf through the material to find answers at the points they're needed.

Soul Sacrifice, sorta...kinda. The whole thing is you trapped in a cell with a magical book that allows you to look into a sorcerer's past and learn magic from their experiences in a hope to defeat the guy imprisoning you and escape, and each monster and location has a long lore entry that gives you hints on how to defeat them.

So not really the same thing, but similar.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I just dug out my old PS2, what are some good PS1 games to look for? I've got Silent Hill, Resident Evils 1 & 2, and Tony Hawk's Pro-Skater 2.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

I just dug out my old PS2, what are some good PS1 games to look for? I've got Silent Hill, Resident Evils 1 & 2, and Tony Hawk's Pro-Skater 2.

Off the top of my head, Metal Gear Solid, ToCA 2 and Gran Turismo 2 if you're into racing, Wipeout 2097 is a gem, Tomb Raiders 2 and 3 and Tekken 3 took up the majority of my gaming in 1996-2000, sorry if they're the obvious choices.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a RTS style game out there where you control the zombies for once trying to gently caress up some humans? There's one on IOS for Plague Inc. that was pretty cool, but a bit basic. And then there is that PS2 adventure game where you control a zombie trying to figure out where his old girlfriend is or something, but i didn't like it. Anything else out there? Graphics isn't THAT important aslong as its not Dwarf Fortress level of "imagine your own graphics", solid gameplay is what matters this time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The closest I can think of is Ray's the Dead but it looks to be more like zombie pikmen than an RTS.

Warcraft 3 also has a pretty good undead campaign that is all about screwing over the other sides to increase your numbers.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mokinokaro posted:

The closest I can think of is Ray's the Dead but it looks to be more like zombie pikmen than an RTS.

Warcraft 3 also has a pretty good undead campaign that is all about screwing over the other sides to increase your numbers.

Two, if you count the expansion.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

dis astranagant posted:

Super Ninja Fish posted:

That sounds nice but why did Nier get such poor reviews? 67% at metacritic. 69% at gamerankings.
The gameplay is kinda mediocre and one reviewer infamously got lost in an early quest because he refused to read the map. Oh and most of the side quests actively troll completionists. The crazy doesn't really start til the halfway point and we all know how much reviewers seem to hate actually playing through games :v:. The soundtrack is amazing and it has some of the best characterization I've ever seen in a game.

It also refuses to stick to a particular genre, which led to a lot of reviewers bashing one of the best parts simply because the didn't like how it was presented.

Thanks for this recommendation if you're still reading this thread. I'm loving Nier. Reviewers really don't have a clue what they're talking about, do they? I wonder how far reviewers get in games.

I think the soundtrack of this game is just as excellent as Chrono Cross's. But unlike CC, this game has a solid intriguing story to go along with it.

Finding out that the main character of Nier is a guy in his middle ages was a nice surprise. I didn't even know that was possible in a JRPG. Are there any other JRPGs with an old main character? I'm enjoying that aspect of the game even more so than the music.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will fight you to the death.

Chrono Cross had an AMAZING story you stain.

:qq:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Amazing how bad it was.

Let's leave the player wondering "What's the point of this?" and "Why is this happening?" for about the whole game... then BAM... 3 hour long incomprehensible textdump.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Are there any other JRPGs with an old main character?

Tales of Vesperia (though the party has a couple younger characters, Yuri is in his 30s)
Lost Odyssey (most of the party are adults with only two child characters, who happen to be related to the main character)

Sadly those are the only two that come to mind.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mokinokaro posted:

Lost Odyssey
Speaking of amazing soundtracks, the Lost Odyssey main theme is loving staggeringly gorgeous.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Nordick posted:

Speaking of amazing soundtracks, the Lost Odyssey main theme is loving staggeringly gorgeous.

Lost Odyssey has great music, but I never managed to finish it because I was a lot more into the memory stories than the actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

blackmongoose posted:

Lost Odyssey has great music, but I never managed to finish it because I was a lot more into the memory stories than the actual game.
Well, I've never even touched the game. :v: I don't have any consoles, and JRPGs aren't my thing anywawys (FFVI is awesome though). I just came across that title track a few years ago and got blown away.