Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just started reading Godland and I love it so far, although Tom Scioli definitely gets equal-or-greater credit for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just started reading Godland and I love it so far, although Tom Scioli definitely gets equal-or-greater credit for that.

I haven't read the final issue but Godland develops severe plot creep and winds up flying off the rails in a "who cares" way. It's a good looking crash, though.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Zodiac and Vengeance were also pretty good, though the wasted potential is mostly that there's been no follow-up on Zodiac in the last three years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fatherboxx posted:

A goddamn murderers row of coolest dudes in business. Although this is a lineup I would've expected on a book about hip-hop culture or something in that vein, not a Jack Kirby tribute. And seeing that every one of them prefers to color himself, Dynamite won't gently caress this up.

I worry about too many cooks in the kitchen, I also don't know poo poo about Kirby's non Marvel creations, aside from The New Gods, and all I know about that is from the Superman cartoon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rhyno posted:

I'm still bummed that he didn't get to do the final year of 3.0.

Being a Wildstorm fan around 1998-2002 is the bummerest experiences I had as a comic fan, because it was seeing so much potential rise... and then die on the vine shortly after the sale to DC. It made me a lot more jaded about things like cancellations and mismanagement. A lot of it wasn't necessarily the fault of the people involved - it was a hard time for comics - but it was hard to see a company doing some groundbreaking stuff in the world of capes and then be reduced to The DC Try Out Book.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard that Joe Casey developed a drug problem because he heard he'd be writing UXM at the same time Grant Morrison was writing NXM, and decided that would be the best way to compete with him.

Which probably isn't true, but it'll probably show up in Comic Book Legends Revealed sooner or later.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

I worry about too many cooks in the kitchen, I also don't know poo poo about Kirby's non Marvel creations, aside from The New Gods, and all I know about that is from the Superman cartoon.

Man you need to read the Fourth World stuff. poo poo rules.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Yeah I'm hesitant to call the Fourth World Kirby's best work only because I've been reading through the original Fantastic Four run and that poo poo's just insanely good, but it's almost certainly his magnum opus.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

It is amazing

Here is some more classic Kirby

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Being a Wildstorm fan around 1998-2002 is the bummerest experiences I had as a comic fan, because it was seeing so much potential rise... and then die on the vine shortly after the sale to DC. It made me a lot more jaded about things like cancellations and mismanagement. A lot of it wasn't necessarily the fault of the people involved - it was a hard time for comics - but it was hard to see a company doing some groundbreaking stuff in the world of capes and then be reduced to The DC Try Out Book.
For me it was the Worldstorm event.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

I've heard that Joe Casey developed a drug problem because he heard he'd be writing UXM at the same time Grant Morrison was writing NXM, and decided that would be the best way to compete with him.

Which probably isn't true, but it'll probably show up in Comic Book Legends Revealed sooner or later.

He wrote Automatic Kafka around that time, so it clearly worked out well!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

For me it was the Worldstorm event.

Captain Atom: Armageddon is perhaps one of the most ill-conceived books I can recall. Captain Atom shows up in his hideous Kingdom Come outfit (because), loses control, and blows up the Wildstorm universe.

Somehow they squeezed nine issues out of that premise.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Being an Authority fan is the worst feeling. I can confirm this.

Also y'all fools talking about Jack Kirby and not mentioning The Demon. The introduction of Etrigan is a lot of fun.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There so much good stuff coming out of Wildstorm at the time. Wildcats 3.0 remains one of my favorite comics. I'm going to have to dig them out and reread.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Swillkitsch posted:

Also y'all fools talking about Jack Kirby and not mentioning The Demon. The introduction of Etrigan is a lot of fun.

The Demon should rightfully be mentioned alongside his Fourth World work, but I understand why it's not. It's a lot harder to pin down. Incredibly dope comics, though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

fatherboxx posted:

He wrote Automatic Kafka around that time, so it clearly worked out well!
Because of Automatic Kafka I have spent the past ten+ years casting a skeptical eye every time anyone says "oh, this Joe Casey comic is really good!"

Definitely seemed to be competing with Morrison, though!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as I'm aware, Marvel was expecting the Morrison who wrote JLA to reinvigorate and redefine on NXM, while Claremont was doing the Full Claremonty on X-Treme, so they wanted Casey to do conventional "superhero" X-Men on UXM.

I guess he didn't give them exactly what they wanted (and it's my understanding he was getting to be pretty unreliable) so they took him off the book and gave it to more traditional talent.

Chuck Austen.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Who, to the surprise of probably everyone, put out some actually good work.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
For 3-4 months. Then he went "Haha, psyche!" and gave us exploding communion wafers, echo-werewolves, and loving Azazel.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No, no. That was his 616 X-book, which was trash. His ULTIMATE X-Men run, on the other hand, was surprisingly competent for being an Austen book.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Joe Casey took over UncannyXM right when Morrison took over NewXM.

Shortly before the 616 X-Men revamp, Msrk Millar launched UltimateXM and at one point had a two-part fill-in by Chuck Austen featuring Gambit that people seem to like. It was two whole issues.

Then later Joe Casey and UncXM parted ways, which is what people were talking about. Chuck Austen, perhaps on the strength of his UltXM fill-in, got to replace Casey on UncXM.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

There has been no point in time when Chuck Austen has been good.

I mean given the frequency of books that comes out that there has to be over 1000 better X books than his.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Waterhaul posted:

There has been no point in time when Chuck Austen has been good.

Yeah, but have you heard about this new guy, J.D. Finn? This guys hot I tells ya, what a fresh new talent!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Demon should rightfully be mentioned alongside his Fourth World work, but I understand why it's not. It's a lot harder to pin down. Incredibly dope comics, though.

I'd also mention OMAC. He was like a futuristic Captain America. Only read the first three issues, but they're great fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

No, no. That was his 616 X-book, which was trash. His ULTIMATE X-Men run, on the other hand, was surprisingly competent for being an Austen book.

I don't remember him writing more than 2 issues of UXM, the Gambit 2 parter?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rhyno posted:

I don't remember him writing more than 2 issues of UXM, the Gambit 2 parter?

Yeah, that was the extent of his run.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
How was Casey's X-Men run anyway?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Even Casey's fans hate it. Interesting ideas, bad execution, art not really matching the material. The annual with Ashley Wood was decent, though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

April 30th. 2014 is going to be such a drat good year for Image.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I'm buying like 2-3 times more Image than DC these days, it's amazing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

However many image books I am buying, I am buying that many times more than DC books.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

d00gZ posted:

I'm buying like 2-3 times more Image than DC these days, it's amazing.

Depending on how the next wave of Marvel Now books I may end up reading more Image than Marvel which is something I didn't think I'd ever say.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm currently reading more Image books than Marvel and DC books combined.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I am buying ∞ more Image books than DC books.

DC's just become a company I'm not interested in supporting at all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm thinking of cutting my list down to save money and I'm going to end up ditching everything that isn't Image, Hawkeye, or Thor.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

I'm thinking of cutting my list down to save money and I'm going to end up ditching everything that isn't Image, Hawkeye, or Thor.

I'm really enjoying Hawkguy. It even got me to look up Young Avengers because Kate was with the group.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
My Marvel load has dropped significantly since taking a hard pass on the X-books (except for the still excellent X-Men Legacy). But I have been keeping tabs on Jason Latour as a writer of note since his admirable efforts on Winter Soldier and Silver Surfer, so I'm hoping his WatXM will be good. Between that, Si Spurrier on X-Force, and Mike Carey coming back with an upcoming OGN, it might be safe to read an X-Men title again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Every month I buy 24 DC comics, 14 Marvel, 4 Image, 2 Vertigo, 1 Valiant and 1 Oni too many comics.

e: Actually, I probably spend more on videogames, the same on movies and a bit less on music, and get about equal enjoyment, so I'm not too concerned about how much I indulge in this hobby.

Some all-encompassing Comixology Unlimited subscription thing would be nice though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 26, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My DC intake has declined due to cancellations. My Marvel intake is about to decline due to runs ending too (looking at you Daredevil). My image intake has increased though thanks to comixology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

(looking at you Daredevil)

The new #1 is still Waid and ongoing isn't it?

• Locked thread