Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

What do you mean? I think it looks fine.
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxC5rtA6mpSRTG94YWVudEFnTWc/edit?usp=sharing)

(that was the default resume formatting in pages, I swear).

quote:

Lead the design, development, and deployment of software and systems to streamline the production of nationally broadcast television. Also functioned as a post-production colorist.
I think this should be "Led", not "Lead".

In the Digital Media Encoder section, you switch between talking in past tense about things you did

quote:

• Implemented features essential to post-production unavailable in any other GUI based encoder.
and present tense about attributes of the program

quote:

• Batch processing with dispatch queue allowed multi-core encoding in codecs not multi-core enabled.
A bit jarring, I think you could rephrase to make it sound more consistent. Related is

quote:

However, the way you phrase things it sounds like you're describing the project and not your contribution to the project. Either specify that you were the sole contributor or make it explicit that you added these features.
which I agree with. However overall I think it's a really good resume, great job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Wait, since when is bootstrap a big deal?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Wait, since when is bootstrap a big deal?

It's a big deal if you're using it heavily and want to recruit someone who's already familiar with it and no one you've talked to so far is familiar with it at all.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Bootstrap took me roughly 5 minutes to pick up, and my experience before this job was back end/app stuff. I'm now 'full stack'. Are people that averse to training?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Recruiters don't know how to gauge whether someone is a good problem solver so they just look for keywords and buzzwords, and Bootstrap is very buzzwordy right now.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Bootstrap took me roughly 5 minutes to pick up, and my experience before this job was back end/app stuff. I'm now 'full stack'. Are people that averse to training?

Well sometimes you end up in jobs where the only two languages are javascript / Perl, and the lead developer has a ban on jQuery/bootstrap/backbone

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Recruiters don't know how to gauge whether someone is a good problem solver so they just look for keywords and buzzwords, and Bootstrap is very buzzwordy right now.

Yeah I told the recruiter that I couldn't imagine it taking anyone more than a day to learn (assuming they're at least somewhat familiar with CSS/HTML). She was kind of stunned and said that I shouldn't be telling her that.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Yeah I told the recruiter that I couldn't imagine it taking anyone more than a day to learn (assuming they're at least somewhat familiar with CSS/HTML). She was kind of stunned and said that I shouldn't be telling her that.

Yeah I mean if you can't familiarize yourself with Bootstrap in a day with even the most basic understanding of HTML/CSS/JS then you probably shouldn't be in this industry. I feel the same way about jQuery as well, kinda. The more in-depth frameworks are obviously way different, and I could see Backbone/Angular and even Node being really valuable right now.

Recruiters are generally just really bad at gauging talent in this industry.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Recruiters are generally a waste of time but sometimes they get you a job so it's worth putting up with their crap.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?
Has there ever been a survey of what kind of development goons do? It seems like the majority in this thread do web development.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

perfectfire posted:

Has there ever been a survey of what kind of development goons do? It seems like the majority in this thread do web development.

I develop 3d medical imaging software for a PACS company.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

perfectfire posted:

My last two jobs were developing Windows applications, including WPF development. But I'm learning web development at the moment because there seems to be more demand for that, at least in places that are more than just "internal one-man-show developer for non-development-related corporation that hates your guts because you're expensive."

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Don Mega posted:

Recruiters are generally a waste of time but sometimes they get you a job so it's worth putting up with their crap.

I was happy using a recruiter to get me my first development gig. I had no experience and no education so he was really the only way I actually got interviews.

I went back to him for this latest job search and he was utterly awful. Didn't understand the kind of position I was looking for, from work environment to technologies used, etc.

I told him that we wouldn't be looking for companies that weren't open to relocation and the first phone interview he sets up for me is with a company who refused to pay for my flight for an in person interview.

Terrible.

Oh if we are doing a CoC census I do full stack .NET, but my focus is on the web side, mostly MVC and WebAPI.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
"I will be working on getting more details about the other opportunity with HTML and Bootstraps."

Seriously though, not having to be the person who does all the overselling and smooth talking is pretty nice.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

perfectfire posted:

I'm technically not a developer anymore, I'm a "software development consultant". My last few jobs have been as full-stack developers, but the last big project I worked on was mostly a back-end service with a 'thick client' front end that was both standalone and a Visual Studio plugin.

I'll be a developer again within 2 years, guaranteed. I miss it too much.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

perfectfire posted:

I do low-level C development, and I'm currently looking to move to Python stuff, as long as said stuff is not web development.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Seriously though, not having to be the person who does all the overselling and smooth talking is pretty nice.

This is totally true. Recruiters are slimy salespeople but they sell you to the company and don't stop until you get an offer, at least in my experience.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

perfectfire posted:

I write firmware for pressure and temperature instruments.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I write firmware forwith pressure and temperature instruments.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

I do client application development which is usually in C#, though we're using HTML/CSS/JavaScript for the mobile client. It's not running through the browser so it's technically not web development :v:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

perfectfire posted:

I'm a C++ developer who works in enterprise content management focusing on our RDBMS data model. I haven't done a lot of work-a-day development for the last couple years since I was promoted to my current role: manager of about a dozen other [mainly] C++ developers. My software development work these days is chiefly design and prototyping with the occasional "oh poo poo huge customer issue and the owning team is swamped so ~code~"

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I work on enterprise software using MUMPS/VB6/C#/ASP.NET

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
full-stack web development :smugdog:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm an Android developer who used to do C# (desktop applications) for a few years and even though it's still easily my favourite language I really wanted to get into mobile and Windows Phone is poo poo and I am something of an Android nut so I switched back to Java and went with that.

Currently looking for a new position because it turns out working for an agency where your only meaningful client is a huge bank is a soul-crushingly terrible exercise in bureaucracy and tedium. Plus I'm getting underpaid. Plus literally half of my team has quit since I joined four months ago.

I'm mostly just finding a million web dev jobs and it's not really something that interests me.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

quote:

CoC census

Everyone is so much radder than me :emo:.

csammis posted:

I'm a C++ developer who works in enterprise content management focusing on our RDBMS data model.

I used to work at MS on SharePoint's Enterprise Content Management team. I guess I was working the full-stack including work in Office client apps (word, xl, ppt) using C/C++, C#, ASP.NET, JS, HTML. Now I do C/C++ work on my company's SDK, internal tools, RBLDNS server with the occasional Perl script for server-side data processing.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

perfectfire posted:

Everyone is so much radder than me :emo:

Nope. I'm a student graduating in April looking for a job.

I'm the least :krad: here...

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Oh man, my condolences. Is it as bad as it looks?

edit: nvm you've talked about it before.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 25, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ithaqua posted:

I'll be a developer again within 2 years, guaranteed. I miss it too much.

Some of my older relatives have assured me that eventually I will tire of solving technical problems and develop a desire to move into management where I will instead solve interpersonal problems. I can't even imagine it. I'm not dumb enough to discount their remarks; what the hell do I know about what I'm going to be like in thirty years? But none of them are or were engineers. I've been fiddling with technology literally as far back as I can remember. I have never not wanted to learn more about it and how to manipulate it.

The thought of any kind of management role is repulsive to me right now, and I can't begin to imagine what kind of trauma I'd have to go through for that to change significantly.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

perfectfire posted:

I've worked in enterprise software and most recently I used to develop genomic analysis software for cancer research. Now I do iOS and Android development.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Che Delilas posted:

I can't begin to imagine what kind of trauma I'd have to go through for that to change significantly.

Take a look at one of the paychecks

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

down with slavery posted:

Take a look at one of the paychecks

Good companies offer alternate career advancement paths for people not interested in going into management.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

^^ e:f,b

Che Delilas posted:

The thought of any kind of management role is repulsive to me right now, and I can't begin to imagine what kind of trauma I'd have to go through for that to change significantly.

This is why there's been a recent trend of companies setting up a parallel track of engineering pay grades. You as an engineer don't feel like you've peaked out, and in theory they don't have good developers turn into lovely managers because that was the only way for them to progress.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Ithaqua posted:

Good companies offer alternate career advancement paths for people not interested in going into management.

I'm not saying those paths don't exist, but it's easier and pays better to go into management. Mostly an opinion statement (the ease) but that's just my take on it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not saying those paths don't exist, but it's easier and pays better to go into management. Mostly an opinion statement (the ease) but that's just my take on it.
I used to be interested in going into management down the road, but having worked at Amazon...it seemed like the managers were under an immense amount of pressure basically non-stop. And it's not like senior software engineer (or principal engineer if you get that high) salaries are in any way bad.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

You as an engineer don't feel like you've peaked out, and in theory they don't have good developers turn into lovely managers because that was the only way for them to progress.
An alternative strategy is to turn lovely developers into lovely managers because it's easier than firing people.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 25, 2014

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Is that anecdotal, or based on some sort of actual study? The architect-type technical roles are parallel to management, so the pay should be roughly the same. There are less architect/lead/principle roles out there, so I would agree it's probably easier to go into management. But if it's something for which you have no desire or aptitude, you can still advance your career.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Hyperman1992 posted:

Nope. I'm a student graduating in April looking for a job.

I'm the least :krad: here...

Closer than me. I'll be getting my Ph.D. in 2016 if I'm lucky, I just like to procrastinate by browsing programming jobs. :sigh:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

perfectfire posted:

Not really a developer, I'm a vulnerability researcher. I write code though, honest.

EDIT: No bootstraps though.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I'm an HTML Engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm taking a Bioinformatics MS, but other than that I have been learning development for a sum total of ~4 months. Now I just need a job :downs: