Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So, this Patch fella. Does that make Loki viable/necessary outside of Speed Evil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A.o.D. posted:

So, this Patch fella. Does that make Loki viable/necessary outside of Speed Evil?

Not for the time between the next patch and the following Patch-patch since they bugged Patch to make all strike tiles his own and aren't fixing it before patching. After that Loki still has the problem of 2 abilities, low HP, and the swap's rather expensive. That said, it would be a nice pair if you got lucky with blacks and the purple shuffle.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Classic Magneto would work better.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

What's the best moonstone build? 5/5/3? Her black seems really bad outside a few situations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Retromancer posted:

What's the best moonstone build? 5/5/3? Her black seems really bad outside a few situations.

Pretty much that. Pushing up Gravity Warp and Photon Blast help a bit, but Control Shift is too expensive to rely on.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

BGrifter posted:

if you're nerfing Thor for pure balance considerations at bare minimum you have to hit OBW and Ares too.

I haven't really done much with OBW, so I have no comment on that, but I disagree on the Thor/Ares comparison. Ares is very powerful, with damage roughly on par with current Thor, but it's very much a risk/reward playstyle. His yellow does a lot of damage, yes, but it also does a lot of damage to Ares himself. This is mitigated by the countdown tile, but that relies on the tile not being matched/destroyed. His green is very powerful, but also feeds green back to the enemy team. That isn't always a negative, but depending on the enemy team it is a huge drawback. His red is pretty great, and I can't argue that. It really depends on the severity of the nerf to Thor, but I think Thor is still a monster compared to Ares as is, and a nerf to Thor doesn't need to mean a nerf to Ares.

Ares is actually a pretty good idea from the Dev's standpoint. He has a good damage potential, but his powers all encourage Ares taking damage (feeding green to the enemy so they can hit you with their powers, dealing damage to himself, doing more damage if he's injured), and one of his damage sources eats the AP Spidey uses to keep the team at full. I used a lot more health packs in the Ares tournaments than I normally do. I expect this is their goal with design of "risk vs reward" heroes - encourage you to burn health packs and give them sweet, sweet coins.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This game would be a lot better if they just got rid of PVP and didn't worry about balancing everyone so much. I'm fine with playing PVE and indirectly competing against other people on a leaderboard, but PVP is such a chore and they clearly can't balance the characters while also rolling out new ones at a decent clip.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

triplexpac posted:

This game would be a lot better if they just got rid of PVP and didn't worry about balancing everyone so much. I'm fine with playing PVE and indirectly competing against other people on a leaderboard, but PVP is such a chore and they clearly can't balance the characters while also rolling out new ones at a decent clip.

Agreed. I basically put down the game between PVE events. Give me time to catch up on some reading, though, so maybe they should bill it as a feature.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
As noted, if they tweak Thor down slightly (probably the tile generation on Red and Yellow) he and Ares will be much closer.

Indirectly, they _are_ going to do something about OBW by doing Something As Of Yet Undetermined to Astonishing Wolverine, her best partner. Espionage is particularly great when paired with Strike tiles, and right now his power that's on the nerf queue is her best source of them. You can pair OBW with Punisher for Judgement tiles, but then he takes away Espionage for black tiles and that's often her only color to hit with, plus Judgement has a sizable random factor. Daken is Daken, aka Not Very Good, so he's not much of a replacement either.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

delfin posted:

Daken is Daken, aka Not Very Good, so he's not much of a replacement either.

Really? I use him all the time. He heals pretty much all the damage he takes unless he's the one blocking Thor or the like when he uses a power and if there are greens around it doesn't take long to double the damage I'm doing with matches. I find him more annoying to fight against than Wolverine, too.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Oh, Daken is very annoying to fight against, but more from the fight pausing constantly to yell PHEROMONE RAGE at you than from any actual danger. A high-level (aka NPC) Daken can be annoying because he can heal up all chip damage, but any Daken you can run maxes at level 85 / 2920 HP and can thus be spiked out of existence quickly.

His strike tiles make his damage climb up slowly... as long as nothing wipes them out or matches them... but apart from that his lack of damage-dealing capabilities is a major weakness. Even if his tiles stick around, he doesn't have the HP to withstand focused / high-damage attacks for long, and unless he's out there long enough to generate lots of strike tiles he can't KO anybody else. As a role player making GBS threads strike tiles in the background for his teammates to use, he's not useless, but if it gets down to him up front you're in big trouble.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

delfin posted:

Oh, Daken is very annoying to fight against, but more from the fight pausing constantly to yell PHEROMONE RAGE at you than from any actual danger. A high-level (aka NPC) Daken can be annoying because he can heal up all chip damage, but any Daken you can run maxes at level 85 / 2920 HP and can thus be spiked out of existence quickly.

His strike tiles make his damage climb up slowly... as long as nothing wipes them out or matches them... but apart from that his lack of damage-dealing capabilities is a major weakness. Even if his tiles stick around, he doesn't have the HP to withstand focused / high-damage attacks for long, and unless he's out there long enough to generate lots of strike tiles he can't KO anybody else. As a role player making GBS threads strike tiles in the background for his teammates to use, he's not useless, but if it gets down to him up front you're in big trouble.

I've actually had a few fights where it was just down to him and won, just by being careful to deny matches that would let the opponent bust out something damaging and healing all the damage they deal while whittling them down. I do mostly use him as a support character, though, adding to other characters' damage and occasionally stepping in to take some hits he'll heal easily so that other characters don't take as much damage. Alternately, if the Thor I'm fighting just got enough yellow tiles to fire off his ability, I might just sacrifice Daken to it because it won't take him long to get back in fighting shape even if he dies.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

The problem with daken is that he sucks in pvp in both defense and offense also his animations take forever.

The current pvp meta is to charge into a match guns blazing with 6 AP in the 4ccolors of your choice and to stun the entire enemy team or drop 4 strike tiles on the board to immediately boost your damage. You can then use leftover ap to nuke or save up for bigger nukes in one or two moves. Wolverine and Thor themselves can probably kill daken before he even takes a turn with a small amount of cascades, and at most like 5 moves, so daken is pretty lovely on defense. In the same vein all low hp heroes are lovely on defense except maybe classic storm if you're careless or stupid.

On offense daken is terrible because he can't make any use of the initial AP, and can't contribute to bursting down dangerous opponents. He's also not sturdy enough to tank the dangerous opponents either.

With the way "stamina" and pvp scoring works in this game you want to a) beat matches as quickly as possible so as to out-score ambient crabbing, b) finish matches in as high health as possible so you can keep playing and don't get throttled by health packs, and c) have a team that is scary enough to reduce crabbing as much as possible. Daken does B kind of well but not A or C.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Everything's on sale for the Steam version.

600 Hero Points/1,500 Iso-8 - $3.39
2,900 Hero Points/8,000 Iso-8 - $13.59
8,500 Hero Points/25,000 Iso-8 - $33.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234330

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I see that the Steam specials are still on sale for a while. I'd almost consider $34 for a one-time infusion of 8500 hero points, but 25,000 ISO-8 seems a pretty weak complement. Not that either matters if I can't carry on my progress from the iPad.

I finally tried a shield and after a barrage of blocked assaults I might actually be in sight of both the red Ares cover progression reward and a shot at the top 5 for the Punisher 3-pack. That seems pretty good to me for having played it completely free this far. Not that I can really sustain shields long for many tourneys with the resources I have; it's taken several of the weeklong story events to build up my reserves as far as I have, and I don't even have an 85 Thor yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Everything's on sale for the Steam version.

600 Hero Points/1,500 Iso-8 - $3.39
2,900 Hero Points/8,000 Iso-8 - $13.59
8,500 Hero Points/25,000 Iso-8 - $33.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234330

Sale in the IAP store too for 3.75 more days, 25% more stuff for the same price. The Steam stuff's a better deal of course.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Getting pretty good milage and iso rewards in Divine Champions. Go in with a +red/yellow ap boost on my Storm Modern/Thor/Spidey team into the desert, and do one red match, letting me smash all the environment tiles, which spawn lots of greens, which feeds back into Storm for more tile smashing giving a whole ton of AP to smash everyone into the ground.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Looks like I lucked into an other lazy bracket. I woke up to "-432" in Divine Champions and I'm still in fourth with 462.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Getting pretty good milage and iso rewards in Divine Champions. Go in with a +red/yellow ap boost on my Storm Modern/Thor/Spidey team into the desert, and do one red match, letting me smash all the environment tiles, which spawn lots of greens, which feeds back into Storm for more tile smashing giving a whole ton of AP to smash everyone into the ground.

I'm having a similar approach but with Wolverine instead of spider. Use storm like you say to build up on AP until Thor's yellow is charged. By then you should have plenty of red and green. Dump green placing strike tiles with Wolverine then use both of Thor's boosted+strike tiles skills to end the match. At most they get 2-3 turns and I've managed to kill a (not great) team in my first move just chaining M Storm.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 24, 2014

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm not terribly good at this game, but I'm reliably staying in the top 20 of the Divine Champions tournament using a level 85 Thor (4/5/4 because I screwed up), a level 85 Classic Storm (5/5/3) and a level 79 Model 40 (2 yellow and I don't care about the rest).

With that setup, Iron Man's recharge costs 8 yellow and nets me 3 red and 3 blue for each countdown tile. Starting a fight with the +3 to all colors and +3 to red/yellow boosts lets me make one yellow match, then go for red or blue until the countdown finishes. Use Storm's blue on the opponent's heavy hitter (usually Thor), then Thor's red to mop up the severely beaten survivors. That nets me more yellow on the board, usually giving me the 8 I need to Recharge again the turn that Model 40 wakes back up. If their remaining character(s) aren't dead by then, repeat.

This combo worked good for me in previous tournaments, but in this one it's absolutely insane. Storm's blue hits all opponents for 3400, Thor's red and yellow hit for 2000+ and 4000+, respectively. Most teams fold within four turns or so, depending on how early I can make a yellow match to start the combo.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
There are so many good options with all the buffed characters in Divine Champions that it's more about persistence and choosing targets wisely than about team composition.

I've been doing Thor / Rags / Spidey myself (might as well get use out of my 115 Rags, might as well use unnerfed Thor and Spidey while I have them). That got me a first place in the first round, though the crabs are out a bit more this time around so I doubt that I'll make 1000 again. Since my Punisher is built out I don't really need to anyway.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Ooh, new chapter is out, 'thick as thieves' with new character Daredevil. And looks like there will be an 'army of one' (punisher?) tournament?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Wow the mechanic behind that new Daredevil is freaking awesome. Seems like a lot of fun to play, and moving self-matched countdown tiles should make him a lot more usable.

Kind of butts heads with OBW for a team slot using Purple/Blue/Red, but I'll be interested to see how his abilities scale up.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I wish I had more than one Punisher cover :(

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Mons Hubris posted:

I wish I had more than one Punisher cover :(

Pound on Divine Champions today then. Top 15 is in reach in a lot of brackets even if you don't have an A-list team, and that's two more covers. Even Top 45 will get you a black.

As for Daredevil, he looks like lots of fun and I think I know where saved-up HPs are going.

EDIT: Well, THAT'S a new enemy type, the Empiricist.

"Unstable Blasts: 7 Red AP, The Brotherhood Experiment channels a wild burst of energy, going 210 damage, or 420 if damage if there are more than 5 strike tiles."

"Detonate: 16 Black AP, Amplified by Unstable ISO-8, raw power tears forth from the Brotherhood Experiment, doing 350 damage to himself and all enemies."

delfin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 24, 2014

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I don't know if I'm more insulted by 'funbalancing' or them making loving Bag Man a progression reward on today's event.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Boinks posted:

I don't know if I'm more insulted by 'funbalancing' or them making loving Bag Man a progression reward on today's event.

Bagman, at least with funbalance I get a corny come back next time someone tells me a game character is unblanced.

No he's funblanced :rimshot:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

delfin posted:

"Unstable Blasts: 7 Red AP, The Brotherhood Experiment channels a wild burst of energy, going 210 damage, or 420 if damage if there are more than 5 strike tiles."
I guess that's one approach to dealing with Wolverines everywhere.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, last weekend, with my lvl12 (or so) team of IronMan 35, Modern BW and the provided Ares I managed to reach top 75 (because Ares was in front, taking all hits, all of the time and I played juggle the green damage around) and got a green Patch cover, you know, the one that is bugged?

So now I am doing the Maggia missions, where he is boosted, and the dude is just hilariously overpowered. So, this is pay to win, huh?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BGrifter posted:

Wow the mechanic behind that new Daredevil is freaking awesome. Seems like a lot of fun to play, and moving self-matched countdown tiles should make him a lot more usable.

Kind of butts heads with OBW for a team slot using Purple/Blue/Red, but I'll be interested to see how his abilities scale up.

A Daredevil/Spider-Man/Hulk team would be able to grind matches forever basically, but won't finish them very fast which could be a problem in PVP tournaments.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Every single PVP battle I get has a 85 Thor in it. How the hell am I supposed to complete? I think I went through 6 FA kits trying to take one down too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

delfin posted:

"Detonate: 16 Black AP, Amplified by Unstable ISO-8, raw power tears forth from the Brotherhood Experiment, doing 350 damage to himself and all enemies."

Wish I could fight him, but I don't have a Patch. Still, it looks like we're finally getting to the point of the story where those Brotherhood boosts will finally be useful. And if the event picture is any indication, there might be some Hood covers up for grabs later. Not that he's the best, but I've wanted to try him out with Hawkeye Modern.

And wow, shielding really did help; went from #6 overnight to #3; I don't even see most of the people who were close to me in points yesterday in the top 10, and I was also able to eke out enough points to hit the 700 mark for the Ares cover. Two more reds and a yellow to go for a maxed Ares!

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

E2M2 posted:

Every single PVP battle I get has a 85 Thor in it. How the hell am I supposed to complete? I think I went through 6 FA kits trying to take one down too.

Get Black Widow Modern's blue to level five. For nine blue AP you can stun him for five turns (and the rest of his team for one). That's usually more than enough time to make three more blue matches and keep him locked permanently.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Trap tiles sound fun. For the Daredevil player. Ooh, a Daredevil fight would be cool. Nice to see Wolvie being boosted for this event for one last time before he's nerfed into the floor. And nice to see they're letting us non-Patch havers try him out while he's still bugged.

Bag-Men in the progression awards is just insulting, although it'd be nice to go all the way up and get that Patch so I can do all the battles the next time this event rolls around.

Looks like the Empiricist is a fan of the Batman films. :v:

gently caress this Skrull bullshit though, I wanted to fight Magneto. :mad:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Boosted Bag-Man yeaaah! Now we'll see if he's still useless. :v:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Bagman at 5000% boosted would kill things while still being trash.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
Is it just me, or do the repeatable missions in the new PvE event have variable difficulty?

Example: The mission "Family Reunion IX" has level 200 guys in it right now for me, which is right after I beat it with level 240 guys in it, and the first time I don't remember exactly what they were but I know it was lower than 200.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

JagGator posted:

Is it just me, or do the repeatable missions in the new PvE event have variable difficulty?

Example: The mission "Family Reunion IX" has level 200 guys in it right now for me, which is right after I beat it with level 240 guys in it, and the first time I don't remember exactly what they were but I know it was lower than 200.

First time I fought it they were 144. Things have definitely been shifting around on me.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

JagGator posted:

The difficulty goes up and the reward drops down on each one you beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was too lazy to get a Patch and now there's Patch required missions. Nooooooo.... :negative: