Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Geoj posted:

Surely there was a "have you ever worked at a Target location in the past? If so please provide store location, employment dates and reason for leaving" line in the application, how did you answer it?
I told the truth. If I said I never worked at Target before, they'd run my name anyway through their database and see that I worked there and I was fired. My adviser said during the workshop to always be honest in the interview and application phases but if you can, say "let go" instead of "fired" or "terminated". There wasn't any option on the application for me to write in my own answer so I chose "terminated".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Come with me if you want to live.

In Mom's house.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Are you checking in regularly with the temp agencies you applied at? You should be calling them at least once or twice a week and asking if anything's available.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Mellophant posted:

What did they say at the temp. agencies? When I was hurting for work after being laid off in '08 all I did was walk in, pee in a cup and walk out with some really mediocre entry level blue collar job. If you actually did check it out I'm surprised you didn't come out of it with a job.

It's not the best of gigs, but it's a good spot to find work that's in your field in the mean time.

I work with a temp agency, and though I don't actually take care of any of the hiring processes in my position, I have noticed that due to the fact that our jobs are temporary, we're able to constantly use the same employees repeatedly instead of necessarily using new ones. Obviously new ones come in, but plenty are entered into the system and put on the call list.

docbeard posted:

Are you checking in regularly with the temp agencies you applied at? You should be calling them at least once or twice a week and asking if anything's available.

Basically what I'm saying is do this. You've already got the odds stacked against you with your resume, there's no reason not to call up and ask if there are any available positions.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

My adviser said during the workshop to always be honest in the interview and application phases but if you can, say "let go" instead of "fired" or "terminated". There wasn't any option on the application for me to write in my own answer so I chose "terminated".

Does anyone actually fall for this? "Let go" is the exact same thing as "fired" or "terminated." I'm having trouble believing that even the biggest yokel looking to hire a junk organizer at a used parts shop would hear "let go" and imagine someone opening the door to a butterfly cage.

Terminated/Fired/Let Go/Asked to resign: Are all synonymous in the fact that the employee was removed from an organization due to performance reasons.

"Laid off" is the one which holds less negativity. "Laid off" infers that the employee was removed due to budgetary reasons, or redundancy.

The decision to leave a position on a resume, from which you were fired is entirely circumstantial. Typically, it's a no-no, however if you can justify why you were fired, why it was a poor fit, what you've learned from the experience, why you think *this* position will be an entirely different situation, etc.

I was fired from my last job, which I left on my resume. I felt justification in doing so, because I learned a ton of valuable skills and had a lot of great experiences. I was fired, because their customer base increased incredibly rapidly and they didn't have the time to continue training me. (The position was posted as "entry level." Months after I started, the company realized they should have just forked over the extra cash and hired someone with loads of experience.)

Basically, I have a huge list of valid reasons why it was a bad fit and my ex-boss was willing to act as a reference and explain why I was terminated.

In summary, you might be able to leave Target on your resume. Do you have any references willing to say "Yea, he was a great employee who was capable of doing every aspect of the job, aside from hauling carts. We had to fire him, because hauling carts was a large part of his position, but he's good on the register, quick with go-backs, etc." If so, you might as well leave it on your resume.

Probably should take it off though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Being "let go" is a euphemism used in polite conversation, not a deception. If you have a good reason to bring up a job that you were fired from in an application or interview, then it's also important to be able to talk about it in a professional manner.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was once fired because the store had overhired for the spring, and when kids came back from college, they ran out of hours. I use the term let go for that, since I didn't actually do anything wrong.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

docbeard posted:

He should be checking their ads (both on their website on on the major job sites) daily and preferably early in the morning. It's typical for them to have pulled their ads by 9 or 10.

Being "on the books" of a temp agency doesn't mean much. In most cases, it means you've applied for something through them and they've kept your information but they aren't actively looking for work for you.

They actively look for work for good candidates who have skill sets which are in high demand and generally have so many of them that they'll only resort to their "general" list of people on their books if there's some obscure skill required. My daughter kept getting temp job after temp job because the agency she was with only had one other person on their books who had extensive experience with huge (as in millions of clients) Siebel databases and she never had to contact the agency after her first assignment, they always contacted her - but you need to get yourself on that "active, we already have good feedback from previous placements" list first.

You need to give temp agencies the impression that you're the kind of person who can walk into a job and start doing it straight away with minimal orientation and not someone who's going to need an extended "settling in" period on a short assignment.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 23, 2014

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013

Lolie posted:

You need to give temp agencies the impression that you're the kind of person who can walk into a job and start doing it straight away with minimal orientation and not someone who's going to need an extended "settling in" period on a short assignment.

Except Benny really isn't that kind of person.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Anoulie posted:

Well, he wouldn't be the first person in the world to lie about their qualifications to get a job. :v:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Anoulie posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure Benny is ideally suited to temp work. Even in day labour hire, where the work is purely physical, I'm not sure he'd be able to follow instructions and keep up with the pace.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
Did you guys hear the one about the guy who thinks he'd make a great college professor but isn't sure if he should re-apply to Target after getting fired?

woon socket
Sep 30, 2011

by XyloJW
s

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 24, 2014

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Arch Stanton posted:

Did you guys hear the one about the guy who thinks he'd make a great college professor but isn't sure if he should re-apply to Target after getting fired?
I've been re-applying since October. What I wasn't sure about was if I was wasting my time or not.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 24, 2014

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Benny the Snake posted:

I've been re-applying since October. What I wasn't sure about was if I was wasting my time or not.

You probably are, but so what? The worst case scenario is that they don't hire you. It's not like applying costs you anything.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

lexan posted:

You probably are, but so what? The worst case scenario is that they don't hire you. It's not like applying costs you anything.

Time, it costs him the most precious resource of all. I agree with the first part, nothing bad will come of it, but it is also time spent applying for a job he has possibly been blacklisted from instead of a place with no prior bad history.

Another way to look at it is an excuse, "of course I'm putting out apps, I'm trying as hard as I can" *all apps go to places that will never hire him in a million years*

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Lariat posted:

Time, it costs him the most precious resource of all.

Oh, he's top %1 in this area of wealth.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Occupy Benny

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

No seriously folks, give him an occupation!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's not just time that he's losing, constantly being rejected, whether that's in business or in your personal life weighs on you and can contribute significantly to depression.

Benny, it's clear that you're still depressed. I'm glad that you're trying to do more things and work on your motivation, though, those are both key steps to getting better. Stick with therapy and the psych meds, and maybe cut down on the weed (I forget if it was confirmed that Benny was a stoner), I feel like you can't handle it as well as most people.

TheReverend posted:

No seriously folks, give him an occupation!

:rimshot: :haw:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dr. Lariat posted:

Time, it costs him the most precious resource of all. I agree with the first part, nothing bad will come of it, but it is also time spent applying for a job he has possibly been blacklisted from instead of a place with no prior bad history.

Another way to look at it is an excuse, "of course I'm putting out apps, I'm trying as hard as I can" *all apps go to places that will never hire him in a million years*

I don't remember Target's website specifically, but a lot of larger companies will have websites where you enter in all your information onto a profile and just submit your profile to positions. I think Target was like this, which means applying for tens of jobs could seriously take a few minutes.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Death Bot posted:

I don't remember Target's website specifically, but a lot of larger companies will have websites where you enter in all your information onto a profile and just submit your profile to positions. I think Target was like this, which means applying for tens of jobs could seriously take a few minutes.
No, I had to start from scratch every time. There's no account system on the Target employment site.

Edit: The big issue is should I consider myself persona non grata towards Target.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 24, 2014

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Whats the obsession with Target anyway. Are there other stores where you live? Work at them?

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

The big issue is should I consider myself persona non grata TOWARDS Target.

I think you phrased this incorrectly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ladies and gentlemen, the next great American author!

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

lexan posted:

Eeeeh maybe. I was in charge of hiring people at a previous job. Most places like Target have a policy of not hiring anyone back within a certain time frame regardless of why they left. Wal-Mart is six months, same for the call center I worked for, I want to say six month is pretty standard.

If Benny really wants to work at Target again he needs to get in touch with someone at HR and find out what their policy is. It's readily available and it would annoy the ever loving gently caress out of me if someone ignored that information or was too lazy to look for it and just kept spamming me with resumes. I would not hire a person who did that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hey Benny, I'd say "Don't quit your day job" but...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Benny the Snake posted:

Edit: The big issue is should I consider myself persona non grata towards Target.

Yes, its highly unlikely that they'll ever consider someone who was fired/terminated, and any location is undoubtedly going to run anyone's name through their database during the hiring process.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Benny the Snake posted:

I just hit 20 jobs today. Most if not all of them were retail jobs.

Going back a page, but I'm going to nitpick everything because its Benny.

You mentioned earlier that sometimes your posting on SA is formal because you are a ~writer~ and you like being fancy. Well, the quote above makes you seem like you have an organic brain deficit. "Most, if not all," is the correct way to write that phrase (I am science BSc, you are an english person...). Using that phrase means you are uncertain about the likeness of whatever you are talking about. Even for retail jobs, I was always told to write a custom cover letter. If you wrote 12 or 20 cover letters, you really should know with 100% certainty if they were all retail, or if even one was for something different because writing that different cover letter would have drawn your attention.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Geoj posted:

Yes, its highly unlikely that they'll ever consider someone who was fired/terminated, and any location is undoubtedly going to run anyone's name through their database during the hiring process.

I know back in the day when I was doing retail, they were required to keep records on people who worked for them for seven years. After seven years "It's like you never existed" according to an HR person I would talk with occasionally. So look on the bright side Benny, you can reapply to Target like the whole parking lot incident never happened sometime in August 2020!

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Thora posted:

I know back in the day when I was doing retail, they were required to keep records on people who worked for them for seven years. After seven years "It's like you never existed" according to an HR person I would talk with occasionally. So look on the bright side Benny, you can reapply to Target like the whole parking lot incident never happened sometime in August 2020!

So in another year or so I have a chance of returning to Blockbuster Video?

::crosses fingers::

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny, did you apply at the loving movie theater yet? That's the perfect job for you.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

This is your disappointed father OP. Get a job OP.

Mellophant
Jul 28, 2003

Stop applying to the company that you were recently fired from. Go ahead and don't mention being recently terminated on your resume.

It seems like you're sabotaging yourself on purpose by this point.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
mmmm one year anniversary coming up benny, you still don't have a job

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

I have trouble believing you can't get even a little work through a temp agency, I've worked for several over the years and most of the time they had a place for me within a few days at most.

The turn over at those places is staggering.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

vxskud posted:

I have trouble believing you can't get even a little work through a temp agency, I've worked for several over the years and most of the time they had a place for me within a few days at most.

The turn over at those places is staggering.

This is my exact thought. I've done the same thing. I worked for a bunch of temp agencies doing factory work, office boy, warehouse work. always get placed within a day.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

redreader posted:

factory work, office boy, warehouse work

Can't keep up, can't write or spell, tender feet.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Yeah hmm it's almost like benny's the kind of weirdo broken child who would try to take his parents to court over comic books or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
As the one year anniversary approaches, I thought I'd take stock of what I've accomplished since Benny's has begun his journey. In the last year I have completed my AmeriCorps term of service, applied to countless jobs, been offered 7, accepted 1 and am moving states this week for my new job.
Come on Benny, give us some good news for the anniversary, we've all earned it.

• Locked thread