Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Hadlock posted:

...some of the people from XDA are auditing it.

Please tell me they're not involved in the version which results in a formal qualification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cruseydr posted:

I wouldn't, except that my phone is an EVO 3D with 1gb internal storage and it complains about low storage with only 100 mb free (and stuff stops working right). With less than 180mb free, larger apps like Chrome and Swiftkey will not update properly. Also, it takes up 76.16MB including data.
Sounds like it's time for a Moto X or Nexus 5!

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Paladinus posted:

My friend and I made this little app to poke fun at horoscopes. What it does is it generates predictions for every minute from chunks of stereotypical astrological babble and pearls of wisdom and gives you semi-intelligible advices, random lucky numbers, tarot cards and made-up quotes by famous people. So far, nearly two thousand people believe it's a genuine horoscope app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volchok.minutehoroscope
The plan is to get it to 10,000 downloads and release a version that would say that all horoscopes are nonsense and explain how the app really works. If you have friends who are into that kind of stuff and you want to have some laugh at them while feeling superior for no reason, make sure to recommend it to them. And remember those words of Buddha: 'When the deed is done, the happiness is one step ahead'.

Supposedly, the app also works in Russian, if that's your system language.

Thats awesome and very cool that the app doesn't require any permissions.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

rolleyes posted:

Please tell me they're not involved in the version which results in a formal qualification.

No I don't think this has any direct correlation with anything official from Google. The instructor is a full PhD professor from UMd and teaches a course there, but this isn't like the Google equivalent to the Oracle Certified Java Programmer certification, this is just vocational level stuff.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LastInLine posted:

Looking at the preview pics I was wondering why there was an SMS and a Share button so I installed it. I have a Share with no dropdown arrow and a copy button. Copy already is available with a long press and in the Share menu (if you have Drive installed), so it seems redundant and cuts off the too-long title.
Copy with long tap was added for 2.3 because it doesn't support action bars by default. I know it could be done differently, but at that point in development it was decided it's just not worth the effort. The same goes for Share menu. It was the easiest implementation of Share to integrate in the app, so we decided to go along with it, even though on some devices it fails to catch all possible apps you can share with. What is your device, by the way? We should just probably get rid of the title altogether.

LastInLine posted:

I might consider putting in multiple colored backgrounds and swapping them to whatever one of the lucky colors are but I see it doesn't reload the background with each horoscope refresh so that might be too much work.
That's actually a feature we were planning for quite a while, but again it will probably take too much effort, because we'd have to change font colour dynamically, come up with something so it doesn't just blink when you change signs, etc. Plus devices with 2.3 (and it's like 30% of our user base) might not take it well. When 2.3 dies out, we may look into adding something more substantial than just updating the vocabulary.

LastInLine posted:

The app title on download is in Cyrillic which might put off some users
That's weird. I've just downloaded it with English (UK) as my Google account language and the title was in English. Google's language preferences are a bit finicky, though. To get the app's name in both languages in Play was a little adventure on its own and I'm still not sure if all Russian users see it in Russian there.

Anyway, thanks for the review. I didn't know the app was THAT great and well-thought.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

There are other ways you could have fun with it, though. You could tweak the fortune generation to be more and more outlandish and nonsensical as time goes on.
Ooh, that sounds interesting. Cheers for the idea. Now I'm sure my initial plan was shite in every aspect.

Thank you to everyone who's downloaded the app, and especially to the goon who gave it a five stars.

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Cruseydr posted:

I wouldn't, except that my phone is an EVO 3D with 1gb internal storage and it complains about low storage with only 100 mb free (and stuff stops working right). With less than 180mb free, larger apps like Chrome and Swiftkey will not update properly. Also, it takes up 76.16MB including data.

I you're rooted then Link2SD works well (use the create link button). You will need to partition your SD card but once you've got it up and running almost everything can be moved to your SD card (even widgets)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
A full beta version of 1password is out. Not some 2010 style reader only app. Yay! right?

Completely broken on the Nexus 5. Can't link to Dropbox at all. Locks up with a thousand word toast error message.

Maybe an ART issue I guess? Anyone have it working?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

How about posting a link to the beta?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

How about posting a link to the beta?

Won't work. Its tied to my email. You can just sign up for the beta at their website.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For what it's worth, LastPass works great and now it looks good too.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

For what it's worth, LastPass works great and now it looks good too.

I really wish they'd change the keyboard. Cant they just pull the google aosp keyboard and replace their lovely one? Then I wouldn't have to switch inputs.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
What's the deal with Timely's cloud sync functionality? I installed it on my Nexus 5 and my Nexus 7 and when I turn on the alarm will it go off on both devices in the morning? What exactly is the use case for this?

gently caress me, I figured it out. Nevermind.

bronin fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 23, 2014

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My beloved Palm Pre had an over clock tool (ah Govnah, I'm getting nostalgic) that allowed a lot of different scenarios, the best thing being an underclock when the screen is off. I have rooted a Note 2 with Tweaks, can I do this with tasker or something?

Also, does anyone actually use the Samsung Power Saving feature? I've read conflicting reports how useful it is.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Don't use power savers, it's not necessary anymore, they just kill important services.

Modern phones also underclock during idle time.

Install GSAM Battery Monitor and see for yourself.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

My beloved Palm Pre had an over clock tool (ah Govnah, I'm getting nostalgic) that allowed a lot of different scenarios, the best thing being an underclock when the screen is off. I have rooted a Note 2 with Tweaks, can I do this with tasker or something?

Also, does anyone actually use the Samsung Power Saving feature? I've read conflicting reports how useful it is.
As ante said, this is done by the chipset already by default. The Note II uses an Exynos chipset so there is a non-zero chance Samsung hosed it up but if you use CPUSpy you can see just how low and for how long it idles on an underclock.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Anyone use the apps that sync text messages to your desktop? Are they any good? I wish Hangouts did this natively :(

fookolt fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 24, 2014

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
This isn't exactly what you are looking for I don't think, but SMS Backup+ will sync your text messages to gmail using IMAP. It gives them a unique label and works fantastically with gmails conversation view. Basically gives you an easily searchable archive of all your text messages. Syncs entirely in the background, you won't ever notice it's even there.

For syncing directly to your desktop where you can receive and reply to messages directly without touching your phone I know there a couple of apps, but not sure of one that works particularly well. DeskSMS is by koush who is a pretty well known dev, but it's $5/year.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Alan_Shore posted:

If you're having actual battery drain issues when your phone is asleep, it's probably because you have a lovely app running in the background.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks everyone! The battery life is ok, it's got worse now that I'm travelling but I put that down to lovely signal everywhere. Also it's improved now I've used Greenify on things like Facebook (though Google Search has a ton of wake locks, I don't want to Greenify that).

On am unrelated note, Deep Dungeons of Doom is fun. Reinstalled Dungeon Raider after playing it years ago on ipad, it's still addictive but drat it takes too long to level up.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Here's a weird request: I would love an app or service that could show me a random quote every day from a preset list. I have about 100 tweets in a word file that I find inspirational and am quitting smoking and would love an automated way to keep me going. Something that can text me every day would work or a widget. Any ideas?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Thanks everyone! The battery life is ok, it's got worse now that I'm travelling

Get an external battery pack from monoprice for $20 or whatever

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone know of an app that'll let my sister figure out what's eating all the space in her system partition? (She has a Galaxy S2 and they still have the 2GB system partition thing, irritatingly enough)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Anyone know of an app that'll let my sister figure out what's eating all the space in her system partition? (She has a Galaxy S2 and they still have the 2GB system partition thing, irritatingly enough)
Does DiskUsage do what you want?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

MikeJF posted:

I presume you mean data partition? The thing that's eating the system partition is TouchWiz.

Best thing you can do is back it up and use Odin to steal space from the built in SD card and give it to data.

I was about to do that for the missus, but she got a cheap GS3 instead.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

I presume you mean data partition? The thing that's eating the system partition is TouchWiz.

Best thing you can do is back it up and use Odin to steal space from the built in SD card and give it to data.

I was about to do that for the missus, but she got a cheap GS3 instead.
I would presume it would be possible to do the old symlink trick to move the data partition to the external SD card as well.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I am looking for a media player app which will stream avi/mkv over wifi from the plex media server on my pc to my galaxy s4. There are a kind boggling g array of seemingly very similar options on the play store, what do goons recommend? Free if possible, but would be willing to pay a £ or two if necessary.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I am new to android so be kind if I'm just lovely at figuring it out but what is a good and solid alarm app that has snooze? What about a reminder app that I can also snooze. Both would need repeat functions so one could likely solve both needs.

Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TraderStav posted:

I am new to android so be kind if I'm just lovely at figuring it out but what is a good and solid alarm app that has snooze? What about a reminder app that I can also snooze. Both would need repeat functions so one could likely solve both needs.

Thanks!

The built-in clock should be able to snooze and repeat alarms, unless your phone has an OEM skin that's particularly terrible.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

hooah posted:

The built-in clock should be able to snooze and repeat alarms, unless your phone has an OEM skin that's particularly terrible.

Nexus 5 and Moto X (currently trying to figure out which I want). It's not incredibly obvious if there's a snooze. I will do some test alarms to see. Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Thanks!
All alarms including the AOSP alarm has a snooze. The built in reminders ("Ok Google, remind me [in xx minutes, at xx:xx, when I get home] to ..." also has a snooze. Try it now, just ask Google Now to remind you in two minutes to snooze this reminder. Snooze will be right there in the notification bar.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

LastInLine posted:

All alarms including the AOSP alarm has a snooze. The built in reminders ("Ok Google, remind me [in xx minutes, at xx:xx, when I get home] to ..." also has a snooze. Try it now, just ask Google Now to remind you in two minutes to snooze this reminder. Snooze will be right there in the notification bar.

:facepalm:

Yes, it worked exactly as desired. Now I feel like a dummy for not doing a test run. I just didn't remember a snooze at 5:45am!

Is Baconreader the best reddit app? I'm irritated it takes like three clicks to hide a post and you have to hit the thumbnail to load instead of just the line. Alien blue on the iPhone really nailed it.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

AirRaid posted:

I am looking for a media player app which will stream avi/mkv over wifi from the plex media server on my pc to my galaxy s4. There are a kind boggling g array of seemingly very similar options on the play store, what do goons recommend? Free if possible, but would be willing to pay a £ or two if necessary.

I might be missing something obvious, but have you considered the Plex android app?

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I was trying to find a visualization that showed both the sizes and the distances of the planets in the solar system at the same time. I couldn't find a good one so I did one myself in Javascript and decided to port it to Android just for fun.

It's very simple but you can see pretty well how insane distances and sizes in space are: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=space.main

No permissions required!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Might be a case of over thinking a simple problem, but what's a simple way to send files to an Android device?

Most commonly, I've wanting to copy an ebook or document from my MacBook to my tablet. My android phone usually mounts when I use a cable to connect it to the MacBook, but by tablet (Asus TF300) doesn't. In any event, it'd be nice to just send files "across the air". I've used Dropbox & GoogleDocs to sync stuff across, but that strikes me as a bit fussy too - put it in the sync folder, wait for it to sync, move it out on both devices. Tried Bluetooth and got some cryptic errors.

AnySend looked interesting but it only sends from Android devices. Is there an application that does two-way?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Does anyone here use Root Explorer for their file browser? The last time I tried it was right after they made the move to a Holo interface and it was quite broken for me. I can't remember the exact ways it failed but I do remember trying it and then getting it refunded within the fifteen minute window.

Now it looks like it's grown up quite nicely. It looks good, seems to work well, and adheres to Android UI guidelines as far as I can tell. I've been trying out the free non-root version but I think I like it enough to buy it but I was wondering if anyone had any criticisms of it before I do. If anyone has OS X Mavericks and can confirm it works with the SMB shares I'd appreciate it even more but I'm sure that's a long shot.

outlier posted:

Might be a case of over thinking a simple problem, but what's a simple way to send files to an Android device?

Most commonly, I've wanting to copy an ebook or document from my MacBook to my tablet. My android phone usually mounts when I use a cable to connect it to the MacBook, but by tablet (Asus TF300) doesn't. In any event, it'd be nice to just send files "across the air". I've used Dropbox & GoogleDocs to sync stuff across, but that strikes me as a bit fussy too - put it in the sync folder, wait for it to sync, move it out on both devices. Tried Bluetooth and got some cryptic errors.

AnySend looked interesting but it only sends from Android devices. Is there an application that does two-way?
There are a few ways.

There's PushBullet, there's AirDroid, there are file browsers that can access Dropbox or Drive. Since you're on a MacBook you can also use Droid NAS to make your device show in Finder.

Personally I'd install that Explorer app and check whether it can access your SMB Public share so I can decide to buy it ;)

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 26, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Thanks!
I'm a big fan of Sleep as Android I'm not sure how well the sleep tracking thing really works, but aside from that its a solid alarm clock with a lot of great features you didn't know you needed.
-It can do separate alarms for every day of the week. All easily toggleable on/off as well
-You can fully customize the snooze duration, including having it half the duration each time
-You can set a snooze limit, which if you are like me stops you from hitting snooze for an hour and sleeping in.
-Optional CAPTCHA to stop the alarm, as simple as doing basic math, or as complicated as forcing you to walk into another room and scan a QR code.

I'm a really heavy sleeper, so the configurable snooze limit and captcha are really awesome to me.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

:facepalm:

Yes, it worked exactly as desired. Now I feel like a dummy for not doing a test run. I just didn't remember a snooze at 5:45am!

Is Baconreader the best reddit app? I'm irritated it takes like three clicks to hide a post and you have to hit the thumbnail to load instead of just the line. Alien blue on the iPhone really nailed it.

I use "reddit is fun" it's pretty great.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andrewshu.android.reddit

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

AirRaid posted:

There a reason you can't use the plex app?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Me too. I've tried a few others, but something about "reddit is fun" just clicks for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I've tried a handful and Reddit News is the only one I really like. There really is no de facto best app though. You just have to try a bunch of different ones until you find one you like.

• Locked thread